Little Did She Know

RonPrice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2013 6:52:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
LITTLE DID SHE KNOW

The Battle Hymn of the Republic first appeared in The Atlantic Monthly in February 1862 during the American Civil War: 1861-1864. Julia Ward Howe, the wife of a prominent Boston abolitionist, crafted the words which she said came to her in the early dawn. She woke-up and found the words were "arranging themselves in my brain."1 She searched for an old sheet of paper and an old stub of a pen and scrawled the lines down "almost without looking" in the half-light of the early morning. She received four dollars from The Atlantic Monthly and the words quickly caught on "as the rallying anthem of the Union troops."

The words have inspired American soldiers in WWII and civil rights activists in the sixties. Readers here are advised to go to the following reference for more details on the origin of this famous hymn. -Ron Price with thanks to 1Sage Stossel in Flashbacks: The Battle Hymn of the Republic, 18 September 2001.

1862 was a very big year.
People have been singing
two of its songs for 150
years.1 One of the songs
is known as the Kitab-i-
Iqan; its 200 pages were
written in the space of 2
days & 2 nights"..They
were written & rewritten
many times and that other
song was sung"the battle
raged in men"s hearts with
this hymn to comfort them.

The seals were removed, little
did they know, and they have
been removed these 150 years.
People must cease to regard the
words and deeds of mortal men
as a sign to recognize God and
His prophets: such is the key to
the path of certitude2 and to see
the coming of the Glory of the
Lord while terrible swift swords
and His truths go marching on.3

1 1862 to 2012
2 These words are found in the first paragraph of the Kitab-i-Iqan
3 these words, slightly paraphrased, are among the words in The Battle Hymn of the Republic

Ron Price
21 October 2012
Married for 48 years, a teacher for 32, a student for 18, a writer and editor for 16, and a Baha'i for 56(in 2015)
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2013 6:57:06 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
What an impeccable contribution to our forum. Thank you so much.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)