Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

We Have Conquered France via McBaguettes!

wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2013 10:59:04 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Yep, title:

http://www.bloomberg.com...

"I"m lovin" it," Pierre Koffmann said after tasting for Bloomberg Television at a McDonald"s on Rue de Rivoli, in Paris. "If I was hungry walking by, I"d buy it with pleasure."

"The garnish is good: There"s plenty of salad and plenty of everything. The bread isn"t a pure baguette because this one is shorter, but it"s good bread. Not the top bread in Paris but it"s good. I"m not disappointed by it," said Koffmann, who held three Michelin stars at La Tante Claire in London in the 1990s.

History:

http://www.historytoday.com...

I was born in a country whose soul, inhabitants and products are diverse, motley, changing and ingenious. From milk, this simple and elementary food, we Frenchmen know how to make more than 100 kinds of cheese. All are good, healthy, strong, substantial and amusing. All have their history, character and role. In this feature alone, I recognise the genius of my country, in it I understand that she has produced so many great men in all professions ... I belong to a peasant people which has cultivated lovingly for centuries 50 different plums and which finds in each one a deliciously incomparable taste. - Georges Duhamel

Duhamel wrote this in a powerful diatribe warning Europeans, and Frenchmen in particular, that unless they took steps to protect their traditions, values and identities, the system of advanced industrialism which modernity had produced in America would soon overwhelm them. Seventy years later the same battle is being fought, this time by a farmers" leader, Jos" Bov", who in August 1999 broke up the site of a new McDonald"s restaurant in his home town of Millau, and almost instantly became a sort of national hero.

Also, there is video proof (video).

Americans, your thoughts on your new subject?

Vive le Royale with Cheese!
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2013 8:08:04 AM
I don't see how this proves that we have conquered France or won their sympathy.

It's also well known to anybody who has been outside the country that McDonalds tailors its menu to what local people eat. I went to a McDonalds in India a few weeks ago. There were no beef options, and there was only one chicken option. The major entrees were the Aloo Tikki Burger (basically a potato patty), the Veggie Burger (potato patty with vegetables-fairly similar to veggie patties I have had in the US), and the McSpicy Paneer Burger (basically a slab of Indian cottage cheese that was breaded and deep fried).

What's more interesting to me was that McDonalds was very obviously a middle class restaurant whereas here it is considered a staple for middle class and lower class families alike. Compared to food prices at other restaurants and the prices from the street vendors, McDonalds was pretty expensive. Of course, it was approximately the same price as it is here, if not cheaper (my burger and small fries cost me about 150 rupees, so that's about $3).
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2013 1:31:01 PM
At 1/16/2013 10:59:04 AM, wrichcirw wrote:Seventy years later the same battle is being fought, this time by a farmers" leader, Jos" Bov", who in August 1999 broke up the site of a new McDonald"s restaurant in his home town of Millau, and almost instantly became a sort of national hero.

Gotta love the French...for a group of people so quick to raise the white flag in a fight, they aren't afraid to mix it up now and again.

Ironic that big, bad America is filled with so many apathetic p*ssies by comparison, no?

Well, I'm lovin' it, anyway (the irony...and they say irony is dead...pfft.)
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2013 3:13:05 PM
Nothing makes me giddier than being able to say to the next french person I meet "Oh, I'd take your choice in wine seriously, but you guys think McDonald's is fine dining."
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2013 4:59:19 PM
At 1/18/2013 8:08:04 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
I don't see how this proves that we have conquered France or won their sympathy.

You also aren't able to see good humor in a lightly colored argument.
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2013 5:07:10 PM

It's also well known to anybody who has been outside the country that McDonalds tailors its menu to what local people eat. I went to a McDonalds in India a few weeks ago. There were no beef options, and there was only one chicken option. The major entrees were the Aloo Tikki Burger (basically a potato patty), the Veggie Burger (potato patty with vegetables-fairly similar to veggie patties I have had in the US), and the McSpicy Paneer Burger (basically a slab of Indian cottage cheese that was breaded and deep fried).

What's more interesting to me was that McDonalds was very obviously a middle class restaurant whereas here it is considered a staple for middle class and lower class families alike. Compared to food prices at other restaurants and the prices from the street vendors, McDonalds was pretty expensive. Of course, it was approximately the same price as it is here, if not cheaper (my burger and small fries cost me about 150 rupees, so that's about $3).

McDonalds in India sounds way better...... As in, I might actually eat there on a regular basis. McDonalds here? Bleh. Never.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2013 5:07:20 PM
At 1/18/2013 4:59:19 PM, wrichcirw wrote:

The arguments prefer to be called Afro-American now. Colored is kinda looked down upon.
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2013 9:13:01 PM
At 1/18/2013 5:07:10 PM, Oryus wrote:

McDonalds in India sounds way better...... As in, I might actually eat there on a regular basis. McDonalds here? Bleh. Never.

It really caters to vegetarians. The fries taste better as well.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 9:45:37 AM
At 1/18/2013 5:07:10 PM, Oryus wrote:

McDonalds in New Mexico serves green chili cheeseburgers. I've tried them, they are awesome.

McDonalds in Hawaii serves Portuguese sausage or SPAM during breakfast hours with rice in their Big Breakfast there.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 9:46:30 AM
At 1/18/2013 5:07:20 PM, malcolmxy wrote:
At 1/18/2013 4:59:19 PM, wrichcirw wrote:

The arguments prefer to be called Afro-American now. Colored is kinda looked down upon.

Nigga please... :)