Jump to topic:

Humanely raised beef

vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2013 8:40:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Here's a good article on humanely raised, organic beef.

Consumers today are more conscientious than ever about the choices they make at the supermarket. They want to know that the food they put on the table for their family is all-natural, environmentally friendly, and humane. And that"s why we here at Nature"s Acres Ranch hold ourselves to a higher standard and produce only the finest grass-fed and 100 percent additive-free beef. We guarantee that our cows are ethically raised on sustainably grown pastures before we hang them upside down from a moving conveyor and slice their throats wide open.

http://www.theonion.com...
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2013 5:49:14 AM
As long as my beef is safe to eat, I don't care where it comes from.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2013 6:40:01 AM
is that the common practice?
I'd thought that they usually hit them with a pneumatic hammer?

I've heard that if an animal's scared then the rush of stuff like adrenaline can ruin the taste of the meat...
so I wouldn't think hanging them upside down would work out too well..

Unless they hang'em till they pass out or something and leave'em hangin till the adrenaline dissapates :/
I dunno ?
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2013 9:20:12 AM
LOL One of my friends posted this on facebook and I totally thought of you vbac.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Franz_Reynard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2013 11:10:51 AM
I wonder how many more people would be vegetarians if it were required that one killed an animal that one intends to eat his or herself.
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2013 12:33:39 PM
At 1/24/2013 11:10:51 AM, Franz_Reynard wrote:
I wonder how many more people would be vegetarians if it were required that one killed an animal that one intends to eat his or herself.

I've hunted deer, does that count?
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2013 12:48:56 PM
At 1/24/2013 11:48:59 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
I wonder how many people would be vegetarians if our tax dollars stopped subsidizing factory farms.

lolz
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2013 2:37:27 PM
At 1/24/2013 1:43:49 PM, Clash wrote:
At 1/24/2013 5:49:14 AM, tmar19652 wrote:

I rest my case!

charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2013 3:02:59 PM

Not exactly a conscientiously humane attitude, I'm afraid. Is having casual disregard for the suffering of other living creatures a "libertarian" emotional and cognitive trait? (I know, to anyone with the slightest smidgen of insight into the psychology lurking behind "libertarian" ideology it's somewhat of a rhetorical question.)
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2013 3:09:56 PM
At 1/24/2013 3:02:59 PM, charleslb wrote:

Not exactly a conscientiously humane attitude, I'm afraid. Is having casual disregard for the suffering of other living creatures a "libertarian" emotional and cognitive trait? (I know, to anyone with the slightest smidgen of insight into the psychology lurking behind "libertarian" ideology it's somewhat of a rhetorical question.)

Why should I care about the animals! If they were not a lesser life-form, we would not be controlling them, nor would we be able to confine them to farms and factories. It may sound brutal, but that's natural selection, and no-one would complain if a lion brutally slaughtered a cow.

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2013 3:16:22 PM
At 1/24/2013 1:43:49 PM, Clash wrote:
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2013 4:02:10 PM
At 1/24/2013 9:20:12 AM, Oryus wrote:
LOL One of my friends posted this on facebook and I totally thought of you vbac.

Yup, this is my thing. :) Somebody's got to do it.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2013 4:23:19 PM
At 1/24/2013 6:40:01 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
is that the common practice?
I'd thought that they usually hit them with a pneumatic hammer?

Yeah but it's more problematic than that. This is from one a my debates a while back.

Typically in slaughterhouses a "knocker" shoots a steal bolt between the eyes of the cow. This should renders the animal unconscious or dead, however, there are a variety of reasons this device may fail to function properly. For example, the equipment itself can become week and ineffective. Notably, some plant operators don't want the animals to become "too dead" because it slows the exsanguination process. If the animal bleeds slowly, plant efficiency is diminished and the quality of the meat is reduced[6].

Because of these issues, cows are often bled, skinned and dismembered while conscious. Cows will sometimes remain conscious even by the time they reach the "skinner", a line operator tasked with peeling the skin off the cows head. If the cow is discovered to be conscious when she reaches the skinner, he will shove a knife in the back of the cows head in order to paralyze her. However, this leaves her fully conscious to experience having her skin removed from her head[6].

Once the skin has been peeled off the conscious cows head it is sent to the "legger". The legger clips of the lower parts of the cow's legs which causes her to flail wildly[6][7].

See my debate (http://www.debate.org...) for my sources.

I've heard that if an animal's scared then the rush of stuff like adrenaline can ruin the taste of the meat...
so I wouldn't think hanging them upside down would work out too well..

I don't know if that's true. I have heard some Asian countries torture some animals in order to increase their adrenaline. I looked around and it seems like this is mainly done in Korea to dogs. (http://animalrightskorea.org...).

I do know that cows and pigs are castrated without pain killers in Western countries in order to make their meat taste better. (http://en.wikipedia.org...)

Unless they hang'em till they pass out or something and leave'em hangin till the adrenaline dissapates :/
I dunno ?

vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2013 4:29:48 PM

Probably a lot, but mainly because it would be so inconvenient. If it weren't for that, I think most people would become desensitised to the violence - though, certainly not everybody.

Heineken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2013 4:32:01 PM
We need to treat our cattle better. A happy cow makes a tender steak. The stressed out, anxious cows always have such tough meat.
Vidi, vici, veni.
(I saw, I conquered, I came.)
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2013 4:44:39 PM

Hmm, not so sure. John Mackey (CEO of Whole Foods) is a libertarian and a vegan. And our very own darkkermit is a libertarian and a vegetarian. Besides, OberHerr, Clash and tmar19652 are all religious conservatives - which didn't surprise me at all.

tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2013 5:08:42 PM
At 1/24/2013 4:44:39 PM, vbaculum wrote:

Hmm, not so sure. John Mackey (CEO of Whole Foods) is a libertarian and a vegan. And our very own darkkermit is a libertarian and a vegetarian. Besides, OberHerr, Clash and tmar19652 are all religious conservatives - which didn't surprise me at all.
I'm actually not that religious, im just conservative.

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2013 7:19:12 PM

Will I have to hunt?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Franz_Reynard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2013 7:45:41 PM
At 1/24/2013 12:33:39 PM, tmar19652 wrote:

I've hunted deer, does that count?

I'm inclined to say yes, but it depends on how far you went with it. Did you gut and prepare it yourself, as well? Do you eat venison exclusively?
Franz_Reynard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2013 7:46:26 PM
At 1/24/2013 3:09:56 PM, tmar19652 wrote:

Why should I care about the animals! If they were not a lesser life-form

I don't want to detest you.

But.
Franz_Reynard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2013 7:47:09 PM
At 1/24/2013 4:29:48 PM, vbaculum wrote:

Probably a lot, but mainly because it would be so inconvenient. If it weren't for that, I think most people would become desensitised to the violence - though, certainly not everybody.

Haha, laziness trumps sociopathy?

Oh, humans.
Franz_Reynard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2013 7:48:41 PM
At 1/24/2013 7:19:12 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

Will I have to hunt?

I'd say so, yes. Just like every other predator. As opposed to a parasite.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2013 7:54:27 PM
At 1/24/2013 7:48:41 PM, Franz_Reynard wrote:

Will I have to hunt?

Then I would still eat meat.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Franz_Reynard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2013 8:00:24 PM
At 1/24/2013 7:54:27 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 1/24/2013 7:48:41 PM, Franz_Reynard wrote:

Will I have to hunt?

Then I would still eat meat.

Hmmm... I have to admit... I probably would, too, but not nearly as often.

And, I certainly wouldn't torture anything, nor would I control how their lives are conducted.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2013 11:52:37 PM
At 1/23/2013 8:40:15 PM, vbaculum wrote:
Here's a good article on humanely raised, organic beef.

Consumers today are more conscientious than ever about the choices they make at the supermarket. They want to know that the food they put on the table for their family is all-natural, environmentally friendly, and humane. And that"s why we here at Nature"s Acres Ranch hold ourselves to a higher standard and produce only the finest grass-fed and 100 percent additive-free beef. We guarantee that our cows are ethically raised on sustainably grown pastures before we hang them upside down from a moving conveyor and slice their throats wide open.

http://www.theonion.com...

DDO does not need this.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 12:06:14 AM
At 1/24/2013 4:44:39 PM, vbaculum wrote:

Damn those inhumane carnivorous religious conservatives! Eatting all the meat, murdering animals.....with the other 99% of the planet......
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-