Jump to topic:

Vegetarianism is stupid.

LatentDebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 2:38:11 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I think so because it is the way we are naturally to be.
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

People who think they know everything are extremely irritating to those of us who do.

"If you believe in a god, just tell me why you don't believe in all the other gods. The reasons you give will be why I don't believe in yours." - Ricky THEGENIUS Gervais
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 4:01:21 AM
At 1/27/2013 2:38:11 AM, LatentDebater wrote:

You think vegetarianism is stupid because we are naturally supposed to be vegetarians?
My work here is, finally, done.
LatentDebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 4:45:16 AM
No to eat meat.
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

People who think they know everything are extremely irritating to those of us who do.

"If you believe in a god, just tell me why you don't believe in all the other gods. The reasons you give will be why I don't believe in yours." - Ricky THEGENIUS Gervais
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 6:00:06 AM
Since when was what we are naturally inclined to do proper or just? You're naturally inclined to murder. That doesn't mean that not murdering is a bad thing.
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 6:05:36 AM
There was an old native american proverb about a great vegetarian. I'm pretty sure his name was badshot
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 9:58:28 AM
At 1/27/2013 2:38:11 AM, LatentDebater wrote:

It's an appeal to nature.

http://www.fallacyfiles.org...
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 12:06:29 PM
At 1/27/2013 11:54:08 AM, darkkermit wrote:
We're also natural rapist and killers, so not doing so would be stupid.

Agreed. I'll see you all in prison.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 1:02:52 PM
At 1/27/2013 10:44:42 AM, Mirza wrote:
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." - Alan Brown

Eating meat ultimately kills more plants.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 1:06:24 PM
At 1/27/2013 1:02:52 PM, Kinesis wrote:
At 1/27/2013 10:44:42 AM, Mirza wrote:
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." - Alan Brown

Eating meat ultimately kills more plants.
It's the animals getting the pleasure though!
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 1:15:37 PM
Vegetarianism, as a dietary choice, isn't stupid. It's just that, it's a dietary choice no more significant than me deciding between ham and cheese or turkey and cheese for lunch.

Just keep the ill-grounded pseudoethical nonsense to yourself.

"How can you tell if someone is a vegetarian?

Don't worry, they'll tell you."
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 1:24:56 PM
At 1/27/2013 1:15:37 PM, drafterman wrote:
Vegetarianism, as a dietary choice, isn't stupid. It's just that, it's a dietary choice no more significant than me deciding between ham and cheese or turkey and cheese for lunch.

In my experience the people complaining about militant vegetarian are more vocal and annoying than vegetarians themselves. And there are plenty of good ethical arguments in vegetarianism's favour.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 1:36:17 PM
At 1/27/2013 1:24:56 PM, Kinesis wrote:

In my experience the people complaining about militant vegetarian are more vocal and annoying than vegetarians themselves.

In mainstream media, I'll agree to that. In my personal, direct, experience? I'd have to say no.

And there are plenty of good ethical arguments in vegetarianism's favour.

Care to share one?
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 2:13:25 PM
At 1/27/2013 1:36:17 PM, drafterman wrote:
In my experience the people complaining about militant vegetarian are more vocal and annoying than vegetarians themselves.

In mainstream media, I'll agree to that. In my personal, direct, experience? I'd have to say no.

Well then, I guess we cancel each other out.

Care to share one?

A significant number of animals sold to us for consumption undergo extreme avoidable suffering via their rearing and slaughtering processes. There is no easy way to distinguish between meat products which do and do not cause this suffering. So, assuming some kind of moral imperative to avoid causing large amounts of unavoidable suffering, meat products should be avoided so as to reduce the economics demand for such products.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 2:25:16 PM

It takes about 7 grams of vegetable protein to raise one gram of animal protein.

In this sense, vegetarianism, or at least a preference for vegetable proteins, is an economical and efficient dietary choice. In this sense, it is significant.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 2:26:10 PM
I dare anyone who thinks vegeterianism or veganism is stupid to read Gary Francione's work.

I'm sure vbaculum could lay those arguments out better than I can.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 2:35:41 PM
At 1/27/2013 2:25:16 PM, wrichcirw wrote:

It takes about 7 grams of vegetable protein to raise one gram of animal protein.

In this sense, vegetarianism, or at least a preference for vegetable proteins, is an economical and efficient dietary choice. In this sense, it is significant.

Athletes still need the creatine from meat or a supplement.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 2:36:28 PM
At 1/27/2013 2:13:25 PM, Kinesis wrote:
At 1/27/2013 1:36:17 PM, drafterman wrote:

Well then, I guess we cancel each other out.

Care to share one?

A significant number of animals sold to us for consumption undergo extreme avoidable suffering via their rearing and slaughtering processes. There is no easy way to distinguish between meat products which do and do not cause this suffering. So, assuming some kind of moral imperative to avoid causing large amounts of unavoidable suffering, meat products should be avoided so as to reduce the economics demand for such products.

1. I don't agree with a moral imperative to avoid causing large amounts of suffering to animals in general.

2. If I did, the degree to which I'm directly causing that suffering (or even indirectly causing it) is minuscule. If we were going with some sort of quantitative moral calculus, and I concluded that my increase in happiness outweighs the increase in suffering (that I am personally responsible for), then I could still adhere to that premise and continue to eat meat.

3. Non-meat food still has to be grown, harvested, and processed in such a fashion. What of the work conditions of the humans that do that? If we judge that they suffer in providing us produce, should we stop eating altogether?

4. The issue you highlighted are practical issues, not theoretical ones. It requires no restriction against eating meat where the source didn't suffer (died of natural causes, for example) so it seems to me that it is a problem that can be avoided while still allowing me to eat meat and, thus, hardly necessitates vegetarianism. Certainly adhering to vegetarianism is a solution (albeit an overkill one), but so would fasting to death, but I'd be hard pressed to call this an argument for doing that.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 2:40:44 PM

I don't doubt the statistic, though, if this were all there was to it, then shouldn't poorer areas, where food is at a premium, rely primarily on vegetable crops, and eschew hunting or pastoralism?
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 3:06:55 PM
At 1/27/2013 2:40:44 PM, drafterman wrote:

I don't doubt the statistic, though, if this were all there was to it, then shouldn't poorer areas, where food is at a premium, rely primarily on vegetable crops, and eschew hunting or pastoralism?

They do. India is exhibit #A of this.
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 3:08:11 PM
At 1/27/2013 2:35:41 PM, tmar19652 wrote:

I've heard there are complete combinations of protein available from just vegetables. I'm not exactly sure of creatine, but beans and rice ostensibly provide a full combination of proteins, for example.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 3:09:28 PM
At 1/27/2013 3:06:55 PM, wrichcirw wrote:

China is buying international farmland at an ungodly rate. Why? Because of their country's increase consumption of pork. They need more soybeans to feed to pigs.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 3:09:35 PM
At 1/27/2013 3:06:55 PM, wrichcirw wrote:

Yeah...

But...

Curry?!
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 3:10:15 PM
BTW, I don't contest that it is more economical. I'm not universally opposed to vegetarianism (my first statement was to disagree that it is, on the whole, stupid).
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 3:11:29 PM
At 1/27/2013 3:08:11 PM, wrichcirw wrote:

I've heard there are complete combinations of protein available from just vegetables. I'm not exactly sure of creatine, but beans and rice ostensibly provide a full combination of proteins, for example.
Creatine is soley from animal meats

wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 3:19:49 PM
At 1/27/2013 3:10:15 PM, drafterman wrote:
BTW, I don't contest that it is more economical. I'm not universally opposed to vegetarianism (my first statement was to disagree that it is, on the whole, stupid).

Yeah, agree with you here, lol
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 3:21:09 PM
At 1/27/2013 3:11:29 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/27/2013 3:08:11 PM, wrichcirw wrote:

Creatine is soley from animal meats

"Creatine is naturally produced in the human body from amino acids primarily in the kidney and liver. It is transported in the blood for use by muscles. Approximately 95% of the human body's total creatine is located in skeletal muscle.[4]
Creatine is not an essential nutrient, as it is manufactured in the human body from L-arginine, glycine, and L-methionine."

http://en.wikipedia.org...
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 3:21:27 PM
At 1/27/2013 3:17:20 PM, ishallannoyyo wrote:
Have any of you had a good steak?

That's why I'm not vegetarian.

Me neither, lol