Total Posts:96|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Black History Month

Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2013 9:56:02 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
What are your opinions on Black History Month? Do you think it is ok for black people to have there own month? Or do you think people shouldn't regulate Black history to a month?

Personally, I believe we should be learning black history thorough out the year, not just a month. Black history is American history and should be treated as such. I shouldn't be excluded from the rest of history. But that is my opinion, what is yours?
Heineken
Posts: 1,230
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2013 10:26:10 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I think it's no longer a relevant observance. It was designed to bring attention to a problem that has largely shifted in a different direction since it's inception.

We live in an era where black history is honored, but if a white group marched on Washington for recognition...they would be labeled supremacists and racists.

It's time to approach racial relations from a different angle....like focusing on education reform. A disproportionate amount of black schools are under-funded.
Last week we had a gang style execution attempt in a schoolyard between two black teens from different sides of the same street.
The school couldn't afford to repair the metal detectors, which allowed a gun to be smuggled on an otherwise prison-style campus.
It f*cking ridiculous that black children grow up with the belief that municipal turf needs to be protected with gang banging.
Vidi, vici, veni.
(I saw, I conquered, I came.)
Heineken
Posts: 1,230
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2013 10:30:04 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
....and it's also rediculous that white people aren't allowed to talk about problems in the black community...because "we don't understand the struggle". Well, clearly black folks don't understand the struggle either, because they are losing the war for their children's saftey and success. Maybe it's time to invite white people in. You know...work together to make things better, instead of assuming that "we are the devil", trying to put 'em back in chains. (Another rediculous black myth being forced down a teenager's throat by rhetoric rap lyrics.)
Vidi, vici, veni.
(I saw, I conquered, I came.)
Heineken
Posts: 1,230
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2013 10:32:53 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
...and Jesus isn't the f*cking answer. If I hear another comment from Ebenezer Baptist church, trying to solve Gang violenece with 2000 year old Jewish text...I'm gonna stage a Bible burning in my backyard.

Sick of this shi*t. I hate Atlanta....gawd. (Sorry for the rants. You picked a good topic.)
Vidi, vici, veni.
(I saw, I conquered, I came.)
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2013 10:47:15 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
History is history; I think that it is stupid to try to look at little pieces of it in isolation. I don't think that black history month is a legitimate study of history; rather it is a way to reinforce group cohesion. This is common phenomenon amongst groups who were (and are, in this case) marginalized and abused.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
tmar19652
Posts: 727
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2013 11:07:27 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/2/2013 9:56:02 AM, Df0512 wrote:
What are your opinions on Black History Month? Do you think it is ok for black people to have there own month? Or do you think people shouldn't regulate Black history to a month?

Personally, I believe we should be learning black history thorough out the year, not just a month. Black history is American history and should be treated as such. I shouldn't be excluded from the rest of history. But that is my opinion, what is yours?

Imagine the uproar over a white history month!
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2013 11:08:28 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/2/2013 11:07:27 AM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 2/2/2013 9:56:02 AM, Df0512 wrote:
What are your opinions on Black History Month? Do you think it is ok for black people to have there own month? Or do you think people shouldn't regulate Black history to a month?

Personally, I believe we should be learning black history thorough out the year, not just a month. Black history is American history and should be treated as such. I shouldn't be excluded from the rest of history. But that is my opinion, what is yours?

Imagine the uproar over a white history month!

Every month is white history month.
malcolmxy
Posts: 2,855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2013 11:09:28 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/2/2013 9:56:02 AM, Df0512 wrote:
What are your opinions on Black History Month? Do you think it is ok for black people to have there own month? Or do you think people shouldn't regulate Black history to a month?

Personally, I believe we should be learning black history thorough out the year, not just a month. Black history is American history and should be treated as such. I shouldn't be excluded from the rest of history. But that is my opinion, what is yours?

It's really Black History Month and a Half, starting on the observed birthday of Rev Dr King.

Personally, I think a lot of black people got it on in June.

Go to a site that lists out famous people's and historical figure's birthdays and look at the absolutely stacked list of important and famous black people whose birthdays fall between Jan 15 and Feb 29.

It's like Jimi Hendrix and Malcolm X are the only important ones that don't fall within this range (obviously, it's an exaggeration, but seriously, go look. It was like, at a certain point, f you wanted to have a child who was famous and/or important, and you were black, you better conceive in June or else there was no chance...it's crazy).
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2013 11:23:49 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/2/2013 11:08:28 AM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 2/2/2013 11:07:27 AM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 2/2/2013 9:56:02 AM, Df0512 wrote:
What are your opinions on Black History Month? Do you think it is ok for black people to have there own month? Or do you think people shouldn't regulate Black history to a month?

Personally, I believe we should be learning black history thorough out the year, not just a month. Black history is American history and should be treated as such. I shouldn't be excluded from the rest of history. But that is my opinion, what is yours?

Imagine the uproar over a white history month!

Every month is white history month.

This is true, and it's a shame. People in this country, by and large, know next to nothing about Persia, the Mongol Empire, Carthage, Songhai, the various Islamic Caliphates, the entire history of the Indian subcontinent, Thailand, the Khmer Empire, the various Vietnamese empires, Korea, China, etc. Hell, most of us are shaky on pre-19th century Europe as well. You wouldn't believe the amount of people who have no idea that Rome was once a republic.

One could even say that every month is 20th century 'Murican history month, but a quite large number of people aren't overly familiar with that either.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
tmar19652
Posts: 727
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2013 1:55:24 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/2/2013 11:23:49 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 2/2/2013 11:08:28 AM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 2/2/2013 11:07:27 AM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 2/2/2013 9:56:02 AM, Df0512 wrote:
What are your opinions on Black History Month? Do you think it is ok for black people to have there own month? Or do you think people shouldn't regulate Black history to a month?

Personally, I believe we should be learning black history thorough out the year, not just a month. Black history is American history and should be treated as such. I shouldn't be excluded from the rest of history. But that is my opinion, what is yours?

Imagine the uproar over a white history month!

Every month is white history month.

This is true, and it's a shame. People in this country, by and large, know next to nothing about Persia, the Mongol Empire, Carthage, Songhai, the various Islamic Caliphates, the entire history of the Indian subcontinent, Thailand, the Khmer Empire, the various Vietnamese empires, Korea, China, etc. Hell, most of us are shaky on pre-19th century Europe as well. You wouldn't believe the amount of people who have no idea that Rome was once a republic.

One could even say that every month is 20th century 'Murican history month, but a quite large number of people aren't overly familiar with that either.

But it is not an official idea/celebration. Black history month is no more than reverse racism.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2013 3:10:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/2/2013 10:26:10 AM, Heineken wrote:
I think it's no longer a relevant observance. It was designed to bring attention to a problem that has largely shifted in a different direction since it's inception.

This a quite shifty position premised on a bit of false consciousness about the degree to which our society has attained enlightenment on the issue of race. That is, the problem of racism, i.e., of racially-oriented social and economic injustice has most certainly not "shifted" in the direction of irrelevance or oblivion, it's still very much an ongoing and reprehensible feature of the American experience.

We live in an era where black history is honored, but if a white group marched on Washington for recognition...they would be labeled supremacists and racists.

Reverse racism rubbish, the white man's version of being whiny, something that he, succumbing to a bit of projection/hypocrisy, rather likes to accuse minorities of.

It's time to approach racial relations from a different angle....like focusing on education reform. A disproportionate amount of black schools are under-funded.

Underfunded schools are merely a symptom of the larger problem of racially-oriented economic injustice which what really needs to be addressed and redressed. But I suppose that such an observation is too radical.

Last week we had a gang style execution attempt in a schoolyard between two black teens from different sides of the same street.
The school couldn't afford to repair the metal detectors, which allowed a gun to be smuggled on an otherwise prison-style campus.

The socioeconomic environments that generate gangs and gang mayhem are in fact and quite obviously a product of the socioeconomic inequality and injustice of capitalist society, which consistently selects certain minority groups for a disproportionate amount of victimization; and yes, such consistent selection of and visiting of inequality and injustice on certain racial groups does in fact constitute racism, i.e., once again we're brought back to the reality that racism is still very much a fact of life under our system.

It f*cking ridiculous that black children grow up with the belief that municipal turf needs to be protected with gang banging.

Well, what's bleeping ridiculous is that so many of us conveniently fail to see that this is a part of a bigger sociological picture, that we evidently prefer to persist in committing the ultimate attribution error, a core element of psychological racism, and that we are so self-unaware as to fail to realize our personal psychological complicity, as it were, in racism and to with a straight face deny or downplay its existence. Yes, this is quite bleeping ridiculous.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
malcolmxy
Posts: 2,855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2013 3:13:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/2/2013 2:30:16 PM, tulle wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

Whether or not there should be a month that specifically focuses on blacks, in your opinion, as opposed to an overall American History is somewhat beside the point.

This nation still has a lot of healing to do vis a vie slavery and the treatment of blacks post slavery, and gestures like this one are important steps in everyone finally dropping the resentment over a thing in which none of us participated, but the wounds of which we all help to keep open.

Enjoy it. Learn about some black folks. As it turns out, their history spans the entirety of the nation's, so what this month accomplishes, if you allow it to do so, is exactly what the thread you linked to proposes.
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2013 3:14:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Typo correction, "Underfunded schools are merely a symptom of the larger problem of racially-oriented economic injustice which what really needs to be addressed and redressed." should of course read: Underfunded schools are merely a symptom of the larger problem of racially-oriented economic injustice which is what really needs to be addressed and redressed."
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2013 3:18:06 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/2/2013 3:10:50 PM, charleslb wrote:
At 2/2/2013 10:26:10 AM, Heineken wrote:
I think it's no longer a relevant observance. It was designed to bring attention to a problem that has largely shifted in a different direction since it's inception.

This a quite shifty position premised on a bit of false consciousness about the degree to which our society has attained enlightenment on the issue of race. That is, the problem of racism, i.e., of racially-oriented social and economic injustice has most certainly not "shifted" in the direction of irrelevance or oblivion, it's still very much an ongoing and reprehensible feature of the American experience.

We live in an era where black history is honored, but if a white group marched on Washington for recognition...they would be labeled supremacists and racists.

Reverse racism rubbish, the white man's version of being whiny, something that he, succumbing to a bit of projection/hypocrisy, rather likes to accuse minorities of.

It's time to approach racial relations from a different angle....like focusing on education reform. A disproportionate amount of black schools are under-funded.

Underfunded schools are merely a symptom of the larger problem of racially-oriented economic injustice which is what really needs to be addressed and redressed. But I suppose that such an observation is too radical.


Last week we had a gang style execution attempt in a schoolyard between two black teens from different sides of the same street.
The school couldn't afford to repair the metal detectors, which allowed a gun to be smuggled on an otherwise prison-style campus.

The socioeconomic environments that generate gangs and gang mayhem are in fact and quite obviously a product of the socioeconomic inequality and injustice of capitalist society, which consistently selects certain minority groups for a disproportionate amount of victimization; and yes, such consistent selection of and visiting of inequality and injustice on certain racial groups does in fact constitute racism, i.e., once again we're brought back to the reality that racism is still very much a fact of life under our system.

It f*cking ridiculous that black children grow up with the belief that municipal turf needs to be protected with gang banging.

Well, what's bleeping ridiculous is that so many of us conveniently fail to see that this is a part of a bigger sociological picture, that we evidently prefer to persist in committing the ultimate attribution error, a core element of psychological racism, and that we are so self-unaware as to fail to realize our personal psychological complicity, as it were, in racism and to with a straight face deny or downplay its existence. Yes, this is quite bleeping ridiculous.

Also, you might be interested in my recent post on the Martin Luther King holiday, http://www.debate.org...
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2013 3:30:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/2/2013 10:30:04 AM, Heineken wrote:
....and it's also rediculous that white people aren't allowed to talk about problems in the black community...because "we don't understand the struggle". Well, clearly black folks don't understand the struggle either, because they are losing the war for their children's saftey and success. Maybe it's time to invite white people in. You know...work together to make things better, instead of assuming that "we are the devil", trying to put 'em back in chains. (Another rediculous black myth being forced down a teenager's throat by rhetoric rap lyrics.)

Most of that has nothing to do with the actual topic. I agree with you underlined point but what makes you think black people are "losing". You make it seem as if all black see white people as the enemy and white people are the answer to black peoples problems. And what is it exactly that you believe we aren't "inviting" white people to do? Its not like all black people are together on a team or something.
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2013 3:37:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/2/2013 11:07:27 AM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 2/2/2013 9:56:02 AM, Df0512 wrote:
What are your opinions on Black History Month? Do you think it is ok for black people to have there own month? Or do you think people shouldn't regulate Black history to a month?

Personally, I believe we should be learning black history thorough out the year, not just a month. Black history is American history and should be treated as such. I shouldn't be excluded from the rest of history. But that is my opinion, what is yours?

Imagine the uproar over a white history month!

The problem is that black history only has a one month. Black history is American history. A white history month wouldn't be the answer.
tmar19652
Posts: 727
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2013 4:48:46 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/2/2013 3:14:52 PM, charleslb wrote:
Typo correction, "Underfunded schools are merely a symptom of the larger problem of racially-oriented economic injustice which what really needs to be addressed and redressed." should of course read: Underfunded schools are merely a symptom of the larger problem of racially-oriented economic injustice which is what really needs to be addressed and redressed."

Charleslb, ultra poor schools already qualify for title 1 money. A large part of the problem is the "school doesn't matter" attitude present in many poor communities.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
CarefulNow
Posts: 780
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2013 5:04:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/2/2013 3:37:17 PM, Df0512 wrote:
The problem is that black history only has a one month. Black history is American history. A white history month wouldn't be the answer.

You want to reduce black history to a year-round footnote to the history of their oppressors, and you complain that a month of focus is too little?
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2013 5:20:10 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/2/2013 4:48:46 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 2/2/2013 3:14:52 PM, charleslb wrote:
Typo correction, "Underfunded schools are merely a symptom of the larger problem of racially-oriented economic injustice which what really needs to be addressed and redressed." should of course read: Underfunded schools are merely a symptom of the larger problem of racially-oriented economic injustice which is what really needs to be addressed and redressed."

Charleslb, ultra poor schools already qualify for title 1 money. A large part of the problem is the "school doesn't matter" attitude present in many poor communities.

I would say that one of the biggest problem is substandard teachers. People who come from destitute communities, especially African Americans, have a much harder time passing the Praxis exam, which isn't exactly a monumental task to begin with. Combine that with the cheating scandals and the fact that the bottom of the barrel teachers usually get shoveled back into the same schools that produced them and you can see a clear cycle of lowering standards. And a lot of the cultural problems of such communities really trace back to the war on drugs and the mass incarceration of several generations. It's not like they just woke up one day and said "Oh, I feel like living in a state of bitter destitution and hopelessness from here on out." (I don't know if that's what your implying, but I've seen it implied before.) Decades of oppression and prejudice tend to leave one a bit jaded.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
falconduler
Posts: 228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2013 5:37:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/2/2013 9:57:25 AM, Df0512 wrote:
Guess I could have posted this in the History forums...

The black experience in america has brought nothing but disaster and ultimately will cause the annihilation of culture and civilization in the usa. It may take more than a month to convince the judeo-marxist liberals of the truth in this statement.
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2013 5:52:51 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/2/2013 5:37:47 PM, falconduler wrote:
At 2/2/2013 9:57:25 AM, Df0512 wrote:
Guess I could have posted this in the History forums...

The black experience in america has brought nothing but disaster and ultimately will cause the annihilation of culture and civilization in the usa. It may take more than a month to convince the judeo-marxist liberals of the truth in this statement.

Well that escalated quickly.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2013 9:27:23 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/2/2013 5:04:50 PM, CarefulNow wrote:
At 2/2/2013 3:37:17 PM, Df0512 wrote:
The problem is that black history only has a one month. Black history is American history. A white history month wouldn't be the answer.

You want to reduce black history to a year-round footnote to the history of their oppressors, and you complain that a month of focus is too little?

I would like to see Black history month eliminate so Black history can be taught year-round yes. How you see it as a "year-round footnote" is beyond me. You see it as a month of focus, but I see it as a the only month to learn about in important part of American history or just history in general. Black history is being relegated not celebrated.
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2013 9:36:38 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/2/2013 5:37:47 PM, falconduler wrote:
At 2/2/2013 9:57:25 AM, Df0512 wrote:
Guess I could have posted this in the History forums...

The black experience in america has brought nothing but disaster and ultimately will cause the annihilation of culture and civilization in the usa. It may take more than a month to convince the judeo-marxist liberals of the truth in this statement.

Prove it
CarefulNow
Posts: 780
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2013 11:15:52 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/3/2013 9:27:23 AM, Df0512 wrote:
I would like to see Black history month eliminate so Black history can be taught year-round yes. How you see it as a "year-round footnote" is beyond me. You see it as a month of focus, but I see it as a the only month to learn about in important part of American history or just history in general. Black history is being relegated not celebrated.

It's relegated to American history, with your approval (although I appreciate the afterthought "or just history in general"), and that's symptomatic of a more general, fascistic effort to get people to identify, first and foremost, in terms of territorial nations. Thus, even when we subcategorize by race, we're correct to affix "-American", which is superfluous at best and otherwise erroneous (in those comical cases of its reference to foreign blacks or blacks generally). As for your complaint, I suppose it's possible, but is there really any evidence that Black History Month sucks black history from the rest of the year? Individual history texts repeat themselves, shifting their focus to that which was in previous chapters ancillary by necessity; why wouldn't a year's curriculum?
Nidhogg
Posts: 503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2013 2:08:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/2/2013 5:37:47 PM, falconduler wrote:
At 2/2/2013 9:57:25 AM, Df0512 wrote:
Guess I could have posted this in the History forums...

The black experience in america has brought nothing but disaster and ultimately will cause the annihilation of culture and civilization in the usa. It may take more than a month to convince the judeo-marxist liberals of the truth in this statement.

God I've missed your ridiculous rants.
Ridiculously Photogenic Debater

DDO's most mediocre member since at least a year ago
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2013 3:00:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/2/2013 4:48:46 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 2/2/2013 3:14:52 PM, charleslb wrote:
Typo correction, "Underfunded schools are merely a symptom of the larger problem of racially-oriented economic injustice which what really needs to be addressed and redressed." should of course read: Underfunded schools are merely a symptom of the larger problem of racially-oriented economic injustice which is what really needs to be addressed and redressed."

Charleslb, ultra poor schools already qualify for title 1 money. A large part of the problem is the "school doesn't matter" attitude present in many poor communities.

Well, there you go with your attribution bias again, locating blame and the burden of change on the shoulders of the victims, i.e., on the residents of poor communities (of course like a typical conservative I'm sure that you would also apportion a good bit of responsibility to social welfare programs and their "liberal" backers), utterly failing to see such an attitude as a symptom of a socioeconomic, i.e., a capitalist and an American, bigger and quite bleak picture.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2013 3:17:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
In the long run I just don't see how it's beneficial. It almost seems like we're paying special recognition to the "special" child. In a truly colorless society it would strike me as an oddity to have this sort of thing. Perhaps it is now necessary from the liberal perspective to take special care of these "special" children, but one would hope that these things would eventually disappear for lack of need.
malcolmxy
Posts: 2,855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2013 4:13:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/3/2013 3:17:23 PM, innomen wrote:
In the long run I just don't see how it's beneficial. It almost seems like we're paying special recognition to the "special" child. In a truly colorless society it would strike me as an oddity to have this sort of thing. Perhaps it is now necessary from the liberal perspective to take special care of these "special" children, but one would hope that these things would eventually disappear for lack of need.

Race is still an issue in this country, and the issue is primarily a black/white one. It's a gesture, and not one which interferes in anyone's life in any way, and it is damn near impossible for there to be any negative repercussions from it.
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...