Jump to topic:

Gay marriage: What's the difference?

1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2013 8:43:59 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I never really got the whole gay marriage debate.

What is the practical difference whether it's legally marriage or not?

Why do people care?

Is it anything more than a semantics argument?
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2013 8:46:54 PM
I suppose people like the benefits?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2013 9:06:04 PM
At 2/5/2013 8:46:54 PM, OberHerr wrote:
I suppose people like the benefits

What is the rational that they should get benefits?
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2013 9:38:23 PM
At 2/5/2013 8:43:59 PM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:

What don't you get? A subset of society wants to be able to marry a consenting adult of the same gender, and a subset of society doesn't think marriage should extend to these cases.

You want me to list the legal benefits of being in a marriage?...

Why do people care?

Yeah. That's what it is.
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2013 10:45:26 PM
Why should they get benefits?
"Albert Einstein

Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2013 10:53:19 PM
At 2/5/2013 10:45:26 PM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:

I'm not down for bait-and-switch threads.
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2013 10:58:47 PM
I don't think people do care. It's more the idea that gay people are being excluded for no good reason. It's discriminatory. It's symbolic (rather than semantic).

On the other hand, sometimes it does matter. For example, my husband's country doesn't recognize de facto relationships. So, if we had been a gay couple, i wouldn't have been able to get a resident visa unless we had managed to get married in one of those few places where it's legal. I hate to think of the palaver we would have had to go through had we been a gay couple. So yeah. Unfair.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 11:03:38 AM
At 2/5/2013 10:45:26 PM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:

Giving one group benefits and not another who (arguably) possesses the same qualities necessary to reveive those benefits is unjust discrimination.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 11:10:18 AM
At 2/5/2013 9:06:04 PM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:
At 2/5/2013 8:46:54 PM, OberHerr wrote:
I suppose people like the benefits

What is the rational that they should get benefits?

Because there is no rational for why they shouldn't get benefits.
Dirty.Harry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 11:28:56 AM

Why do people care?

For me the issue is the hijacking of the English language and the imposition of a forced redefinition of the term "marriage".

I have no objection to a gay couple entering into a union and being given the same rights as a straight married couple.

But the gay lobby wants more than this - they want, indeed they are insisting that this be called a "marriage" and hence they want to redefine the word.

In law the term "marriage" has always meant one man and one woman.

So the gay community need to to invent a new word but they refuse - there are two issues:

1. A legal recognition of a gay union and treatment in law that is the same as that given to straight married people
2. A redefintion of the English term "marriage" to include same sex unions.

I am supportive of 1. but strongly opposed to 2.

I was socializing with a "married" lesbian couple recently, at one stage I said "Come on, do the right thing - go and get your spouse another drink". I was turned upon instantly and heard "Please don't refer to her that way, she is my wife, we are married now and I told you this."

I of course replied "If she is your wife then how should I refer to you? are you her wife too or do you want me to call you her husband? and how am I to know what you want or don't want?"

Not only did I use the word "spouse" correctly I chose it precisely because I did not want to say the wrong thing - silly me eh!

Harry.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 11:37:16 AM
At 2/6/2013 11:28:56 AM, Dirty.Harry wrote:

Why do people care?

For me the issue is the hijacking of the English language and the imposition of a forced redefinition of the term "marriage".

I have no objection to a gay couple entering into a union and being given the same rights as a straight married couple.

But the gay lobby wants more than this - they want, indeed they are insisting that this be called a "marriage" and hence they want to redefine the word.

In law the term "marriage" has always meant one man and one woman.

So the gay community need to to invent a new word but they refuse - there are two issues:

1. A legal recognition of a gay union and treatment in law that is the same as that given to straight married people
2. A redefintion of the English term "marriage" to include same sex unions.

I am supportive of 1. but strongly opposed to 2.

I was socializing with a "married" lesbian couple recently, at one stage I said "Come on, do the right thing - go and get your spouse another drink". I was turned upon instantly and heard "Please don't refer to her that way, she is my wife, we are married now and I told you this."

I of course replied "If she is your wife then how should I refer to you? are you her wife too or do you want me to call you her husband? and how am I to know what you want or don't want?"

Not only did I use the word "spouse" correctly I chose it precisely because I did not want to say the wrong thing - silly me eh!

Harry.

Boo fvcking hoo. That's pretty much the only valid response to this whiney post.
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 12:32:30 PM

Who does that? You sound like a gigantic douchebag in real life. I'm just saying.
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 1:45:32 PM
At 2/6/2013 12:32:30 PM, Rusty wrote:

Who does that? You sound like a gigantic douchebag in real life. I'm just saying.

Actually anyone who calls him a douchebag is a douchebag. There was nothing impolite about what he did.
Proof that people witnessed living dinosaurs:
http://www.debate.org...
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 2:02:00 PM
At 2/6/2013 1:45:32 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
At 2/6/2013 12:32:30 PM, Rusty wrote:

Actually anyone who calls him a douchebag is a douchebag.

Good one.

There was nothing impolite about what he did.