Jump to topic:

Harlem Shake Offensive?

rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 1:53:36 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Today I got in a major facebook debate about whether the harlem shake videos were offensive. Some tumblr girls I know were saying it was because of cultural appropriation and because some people in Harlem were offended by it. There is a video on youtube of Harlem residents saying they were offended by it, but it seemed to me that the person filming led them to say that. I personally think that the idea that those videos are offensive is ridiculous. It doesn't say anything about Harlem and it isn't try to steal something from Harlem. It isn't trying to mock Harlem or pretend they can do the dance. They are just having fun. They aren't trying to offend anyone. I also don't understand why cultural appropriation is a bad thing. Why can't we share the great things about each culture?
THEVIRUS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 2:14:00 AM
At 2/22/2013 1:53:36 AM, rogue wrote:
Today I got in a major facebook debate about whether the harlem shake videos were offensive. Some tumblr girls I know were saying it was because of cultural appropriation and because some people in Harlem were offended by it. There is a video on youtube of Harlem residents saying they were offended by it, but it seemed to me that the person filming led them to say that. I personally think that the idea that those videos are offensive is ridiculous. It doesn't say anything about Harlem and it isn't try to steal something from Harlem. It isn't trying to mock Harlem or pretend they can do the dance. They are just having fun. They aren't trying to offend anyone. I also don't understand why cultural appropriation is a bad thing. Why can't we share the great things about each culture?

I think it isn't worth fighting over. People loved Gangnam Style, and nobody knew what PSY was saying. Half the people I know liked it because it was funny.
"So you want me to go to the judge with 'unit, corps, God, country'?" - A Few Good Men

"And the hits just keep on comin'." -A Few Good Men
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 5:57:33 AM
At 2/22/2013 1:53:36 AM, rogue wrote:

There's nothing wrong with cultural appropriation. Most people would want their cultures to spread . . .
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 6:24:54 PM
At 2/22/2013 11:14:53 AM, Agent_Orange wrote:
People will find any reason to disagree with somethings because it's popular.

Thats what I think. I was curious whether anyone agreed with this person.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 6:32:11 PM
I was just thinking about this earlier today. I really don't get the hubbub and I've seen the video of the Harlem residents that you're talking about. It's not that people who participate in the meme are saying the dance itself IS the Harlem Shake, as if they are making fun of the Harlem shake... It's that the song featured in the meme is literally called "HARLEM SHAKE." I don't know if I would even go so far as to say it's cultural appropriation, honestly.

If anything, it is an "appropriation" of the original meme video featuring the Baauer song "Harlem Shake" which, if you watch the rest of the videos made by the guys who made the original, was only created for it's utter absurdity. There is literally no point, no hidden message, no criticism of Harlem- it has literally nothing to do with Harlem at all. It's all about doing silly things in a specific way to a catchy, upbeat song which happens to be called, "Harlem Shake."
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 6:35:41 PM
you know what annoys me about the harlem shake, its only 31 seconds. You really can't dance to it or play it as background music at a party.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 6:36:38 PM
At 2/22/2013 6:35:41 PM, darkkermit wrote:
you know what annoys me about the harlem shake, its only 31 seconds. You really can't dance to it or play it as background music at a party.

What?? The song is 3:18. The meme is only 31 seconds.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 6:37:44 PM
:
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 6:39:52 PM
At 2/22/2013 6:37:44 PM, Oryus wrote:

You know, I never knew that it was a full video. I typed harlem shake and only got the 30 second version. i just assumed it was 30 seconds. this is awesome now.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 6:40:47 PM
At 2/22/2013 6:39:52 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 2/22/2013 6:37:44 PM, Oryus wrote:

You know, I never knew that it was a full video. I typed harlem shake and only got the 30 second version. i just assumed it was 30 seconds. this is awesome now.

I know :P

I really hope I'm out one night and some dj puts on the song and everybody on the dance floor plays along meme style. How awesome would that be... dream come true.
:
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 12:34:57 AM
I first heard of this when I saw the Juggle video. I'm glad I got to before I heard everyone start complaining about it.

I think it's ridiculous to be angered by internet memes.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 2:31:59 PM
I just wish my music taste was more mainstream. For me, this music sucks.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan