Jump to topic:

Segregation

THEVIRUS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 12:48:46 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
In my opinion LGBTs are clearly segregated.

They were, up until not long ago, aloud to love each other but not get married.

They are treated as weird creeps unless you are one of them.

People treat them differently than they would anyone else.

Their rights are disregarded by people who don't want themselves or family (which they have no right to control) to be LGBT.

Religions don't accept them, and some have secret affairs because of it.

And there are probably more reasons than that, so add if you know any.
"So you want me to go to the judge with 'unit, corps, God, country'?" - A Few Good Men

"And the hits just keep on comin'." -A Few Good Men
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2013 12:34:15 AM
At 2/28/2013 12:48:46 PM, THEVIRUS wrote:

I would not call it segregation. They aren't denied entrance into places nor are they forced to be in separate facilities than straight people.

I am sorry that this has been your experience. A huge portion of places and communities in the US today that are completely accepting of anyone LGBTQ. I am bisexual and for the majority of my life I have not been treated as a weird creep, although I may just be lucky.

In some places yes and some people are just immature, but there are lots of people not like that.

Their rights are disregarded by people who don't want themselves or family (which they have no right to control) to be LGBT.

Some religions do. Unitarian Universalism does and methodists in particular tend to be accepting of LGBTQ. Wiccans and buddhists also don't have a problem with it.

THEVIRUS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2013 1:03:24 AM
At 3/2/2013 12:34:15 AM, rogue wrote:

I would not call it segregation. They aren't denied entrance into places nor are they forced to be in separate facilities than straight people.

I am sorry that this has been your experience. A huge portion of places and communities in the US today that are completely accepting of anyone LGBTQ. I am bisexual and for the majority of my life I have not been treated as a weird creep, although I may just be lucky.

In some places yes and some people are just immature, but there are lots of people not like that.

Some religions do. Unitarian Universalism does and methodists in particular tend to be accepting of LGBTQ. Wiccans and buddhists also don't have a problem with it.

I guess I should rephrase my question.

All of the above is pretty much middle school. Is it like the adult life? I am not LGBTQ, but I know my very religious parents don't like LGBTQs and don't think gays should be able to marry. Wouldn't you also agree that in middle school not being normal means you are usually the weirdo?
"So you want me to go to the judge with 'unit, corps, God, country'?" - A Few Good Men

RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2013 1:04:06 AM
From what I understand, several LGBT groups segregate amongst one another too =/
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
THEVIRUS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2013 1:07:18 AM
Bing Definition:

seg"re"gate

1.separate people or things: to separate one person or group from the rest, or divide a group into smaller units that are kept apart
2.keep groups separate: to keep different groups within a population separate, especially different ethnic, racial, religious, or gender groups

These two are the main two definitions. this doesn't state that it must be literal, and so I meant it in the figurative way. Are LGBTQs separated from the "normal", even if it isn't always tangible or seeable?

THEVIRUS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2013 1:09:24 AM
At 3/2/2013 1:04:06 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
From what I understand, several LGBT groups segregate amongst one another too =/

That may be. I am not one of them, but I will honestly say if I were told the person I was meeting was LGBTQ before I knew them I would feel awkward (at least on the inside).

RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2013 1:14:33 AM
At 3/2/2013 1:09:24 AM, THEVIRUS wrote:

That may be. I am not one of them, but I will honestly say if I were told the person I was meeting was LGBTQ before I knew them I would feel awkward (at least on the inside).

Well, I do appreciate your honesty and I understand it. What I meant was, I know that within the LGBT community there is racial segregation (EG, "rice queens"). I'm not part of the LGBT community, so perhaps someone else could give a more in-depth perspective on this issue.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
THEVIRUS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2013 1:19:31 AM
At 3/2/2013 1:14:33 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

Well, I do appreciate your honesty and I understand it. What I meant was, I know that within the LGBT community there is racial segregation (EG, "rice queens"). I'm not part of the LGBT community, so perhaps someone else could give a more in-depth perspective on this issue.

Notice: I would actually commend the LGBT or Q who answers. I don't mean to sound judgmental, but when that is how you are raised it becomes a habit. I wont think any less of you, and hopefully nobody else will either. I simply am trying to figure out how your group of people feel

rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2013 2:07:52 AM
At 3/2/2013 1:03:24 AM, THEVIRUS wrote:

All of the above is pretty much middle school. Is it like the adult life? I am not LGBTQ, but I know my very religious parents don't like LGBTQs and don't think gays should be able to marry. Wouldn't you also agree that in middle school not being normal means you are usually the weirdo?

I mean not being normal in middle school could be a simple as not playing football. Real life isn't like that. Hopefully you'll experience that in high school and if not then you will in college. In life only very socially inept people are treated like weirdos. If LGBTQs are treated badly it's usually not as a weirdo, they are treated like they are disgusting inhuman creatures. It's much worse than being the weirdo. Are you against LGBTQ? But in general it just matters what community you are in.
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2013 2:08:15 AM

Unfortunately this is true in some cases.
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2013 2:10:48 AM
At 3/2/2013 1:07:18 AM, THEVIRUS wrote:
Bing Definition:

seg"re"gate

1.separate people or things: to separate one person or group from the rest, or divide a group into smaller units that are kept apart
2.keep groups separate: to keep different groups within a population separate, especially different ethnic, racial, religious, or gender groups

These two are the main two definitions. this doesn't state that it must be literal, and so I meant it in the figurative way. Are LGBTQs separated from the "normal", even if it isn't always tangible or seeable?

In the northeast and the west generally not. In the midwest and south we are to some degree. In cities everywhere one generally won't encounter segregation based on LGBTQ. You will also encounter amazing support groups for LGBTQ in cities.
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2013 2:12:55 AM

I just wanna say if you are LGBTQ you are safe with me. You can message me about anything regarding it. I mean anything. It can be vulgar or offensive or uncomfortable I don't care. I am pretty involved in LGBTQ. Hardly anything phases me.
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2013 2:21:33 AM

Where's the gay water fountain? Wait...scratch that...

The marriage thing is still pretty tenuous...don't count your twinkies before...

Wow...I'm gonna have to apologize to my gay friends for that...sorry.

again, I had no idea I was doing that. shame on me.

I do tell my friends to shut up sometimes...I should be more conscious of the1st amendment.

Anglican Church (Christian...it's aka The Church of England) has a gay arch bishop (male) an female priests (I'm sure some are dykes)

we're in a transitional period with lbgt civil rights. it's coming along as fast as anyone could expect.
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
THEVIRUS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2013 2:21:21 PM
At 3/2/2013 2:07:52 AM, rogue wrote:

I mean not being normal in middle school could be a simple as not playing football. Real life isn't like that. Hopefully you'll experience that in high school and if not then you will in college. In life only very socially inept people are treated like weirdos. If LGBTQs are treated badly it's usually not as a weirdo, they are treated like they are disgusting inhuman creatures. It's much worse than being the weirdo. Are you against LGBTQ? But in general it just matters what community you are in.

I am fine with someone who is LGBTQ, but i feel like it would be awkward because i have grown up in such an anti-gay marriage pro man+woman household.

THEVIRUS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2013 2:23:18 PM
At 3/2/2013 2:21:33 AM, malcolmxy wrote:

The marriage thing is still pretty tenuous...don't count your twinkies before...

I do tell my friends to shut up sometimes...I should be more conscious of the1st amendment.

Anglican Church (Christian...it's aka The Church of England) has a gay arch bishop (male) an female priests (I'm sure some are dykes)

we're in a transitional period with lbgt civil rights. it's coming along as fast as anyone could expect.

I am not saying everyone does. Just some people.

rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2013 5:29:22 PM
At 3/2/2013 2:21:21 PM, THEVIRUS wrote:
At 3/2/2013 2:07:52 AM, rogue wrote:

I am fine with someone who is LGBTQ, but i feel like it would be awkward because i have grown up in such an anti-gay marriage pro man+woman household.

I'm sorry :/ Where are you in Washington because I know Seattle is super accepting of gays.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 5:40:28 AM

Yes, it does. It will always mean that.

But, just because you are the odd man out doesn't mean you have to feel bad about yourself. Don't let others who would define you by only one trait be a judge of your self-worth.
My work here is, finally, done.
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 12:32:55 PM
At 3/2/2013 2:23:18 PM, THEVIRUS wrote:
At 3/2/2013 2:21:33 AM, malcolmxy wrote:

I am not saying everyone does. Just some people.

Well, you said that they're treated like aliens until you're one of them. That implies that everyone does it.

I also wanted you to know that there are religions, and even Christian religions, which are very accepting of gays.

Also, change isn't easy...these things take time, and they are, I'm sure, not progressing as quickly as some might like, but they're progressing as quickly as anyone could reasonably expect, given the pace as which these kinds of changes normally take to occur.

Finally, comparing it to segregation is insulting. I'm no fan of how many people treat those of us who have a different sexual inclination or gender identity, but it's not nearly as bad as segregation in the south was.

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 3:20:04 PM
We as a nation should be allowed to self segregate. Then live as the Romans do when you leave your preferred moral compass to visit another. Or don't visit at all if they don't want you around. I could easily deal with this and respect all. As it stands now I am forced to support and fund people and things with my tax dollars that I find utterly and completely evil.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 4:05:16 PM
At 3/3/2013 3:20:04 PM, sadolite wrote:
We as a nation should be allowed to self segregate. Then live as the Romans do when you leave your preferred moral compass to visit another. Or don't visit at all if they don't want you around. I could easily deal with this and respect all. As it stands now I am forced to support and fund people and things with my tax dollars that I find utterly and completely evil.

How, exactly, do your tax dollars support 'fund' anyone?