Jump to topic:

The Modern Cat

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2013 11:29:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
*Disclaimer: If you don't think this applies to you, then it doesn't -unless you're a cat. I'm just making casual generalizations about the way many cats in modern times seem to behave.

I think they have it easy in life - at least in the 21st century. They can get away with just about everything. They don't have to work, because they strongly believe that's their human's job (reverse speciesism) ... they can be lazy, because they can easily claim that they're weaker than they really are. They don't need education because again, they're not going to work... because they're cats. They still feel entitled to not only chivalry, but special treatment in general. Now, in the past, the big trade-off was that they had to do so much rat-chasing, yarn playing, and were disrespected and considered inferior (at least to dogs). However, the modern cat, exploiting the work of its feline predecessors, can cry "meow!" at the slightest hint of disrespect or role circumscription. In addition, the rise of the internet and especially internet LOLcat memes obviates their domestic obligations.

So, having everything taken care for it, the modern western cat can be as flippant and carefree as it wishes.
Tsar of DDO
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2013 11:34:26 PM
SO true...
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2013 11:39:47 PM
At 3/6/2013 11:34:26 PM, Oryus wrote:
SO true...

I know, right? They're everywhere... it's clearly a conspiracy.
Tsar of DDO
Citrakayah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 5:42:20 PM
Furthermore, the modern cat has learned to create its own gravitational field, inflating its ego and convincing it that it is at the center of the universe.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2013 8:54:33 PM
Modern cats are pitiful. Most spend their lives confined to a small indoor enclosure. Cats are roaming animals that like to explore, hunt, and breed. All of these primary functions are stripped from them while they sit inside, declawed, overweight, and sterilized, waiting to die. The pathetic nature of our domesticated animals is just one small derivative of the selfish nature of human beings.

A couple years ago I was at a friend's ex-girlfriend's house, and she was a particularly poor specimen of a homo sapien. She didn't like her cats (I believe they were left there from someone else) so she was content on leaving them locked in the bathroom all day with their litter box and food.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2013 1:57:28 PM
At 3/17/2013 8:54:33 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
Modern cats are pitiful. Most spend their lives confined to a small indoor enclosure. Cats are roaming animals that like to explore, hunt, and breed. All of these primary functions are stripped from them while they sit inside, declawed, overweight, and sterilized, waiting to die. The pathetic nature of our domesticated animals is just one small derivative of the selfish nature of human beings.

A couple years ago I was at a friend's ex-girlfriend's house, and she was a particularly poor specimen of a homo sapien. She didn't like her cats (I believe they were left there from someone else) so she was content on leaving them locked in the bathroom all day with their litter box and food.

it's not always that bad, I also have a cats and I generally allow their outdoor activity. And I think sterilisation is actually good for the cat, you must see how it is like when she is in heat without any male to mate with. It broken our hearth to see her suffer like that.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2013 4:06:17 PM
it's not always that bad, I also have a cats and I generally allow their outdoor activity. And I think sterilisation is actually good for the cat, you must see how it is like when she is in heat without any male to mate with. It broken our hearth to see her suffer like that.

Not always, but usually. I'm sure your cat has a good life, but how many people across the country have cats wasting away inside while they work all day? Cats are nocturnal and we sleep at night while they are locked inside. I let my last cat outside and it disappeared somehow, either because somebody took it (assuming I am a bad owner by letting it out) or because a car ran it over. Suffice to say, natural creatures of ALL kinds lose when humans take to building streets. My current cat stays indoors because human activity prohibits him from going out. Humans must drive cars all over the place, replace natural habitats with the concrete jungle, and outright capture any pets wandering about because of laws which prohibit the freedom of any animal existing within the city. Our society is sick in many ways...

"without any male to mate with"

I would feel the same way if I was capture and locked in a house with no woman around, and perhaps I would consider removing my testicles if in such a situation but that doesn't mean it is ideal ;)
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2013 4:30:53 PM
At 3/17/2013 8:54:33 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

I'v lived with two cats in my life. The first one was named lynx because she looked like a lynx. She would spend 90% of the day outside, and we left a window, that had a roof under it with a tree right beside the roof, open most of the time so she could come and go as she pleased. The second was my brothers, her name was hitler, he named her himself and my mother was to embaresed to tell the vet it's name was hitler so she had it registered as H. She was deaf and completely white with blue eyes. We couldn't let her out because she was deaf and so could easily be hit by a car, or killed by another animal, but she found her way out a lot. One time she found her way out of our house, and we didn't see her for a month. She was found by an older couple in their living room playing with a hard candy on their table. A lot of the time when she got out, she would wander into the high school right across the road. She wandered into class rooms on many occasions. Luckily, my older brother and sister both went to the school, so a lot of people knew who's cat it was.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2013 4:36:32 PM
At 3/18/2013 4:06:17 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

Not always, but usually. I'm sure your cat has a good life, but how many people across the country have cats wasting away inside while they work all day? Cats are nocturnal and we sleep at night while they are locked inside. I let my last cat outside and it disappeared somehow, either because somebody took it (assuming I am a bad owner by letting it out) or because a car ran it over. Suffice to say, natural creatures of ALL kinds lose when humans take to building streets. My current cat stays indoors because human activity prohibits him from going out. Humans must drive cars all over the place, replace natural habitats with the concrete jungle, and outright capture any pets wandering about because of laws which prohibit the freedom of any animal existing within the city. Our society is sick in many ways...

"without any male to mate with"

I would feel the same way if I was capture and locked in a house with no woman around, and perhaps I would consider removing my testicles if in such a situation but that doesn't mean it is ideal ;)

Female cats in heat feel extremly uncomfortable until they mate. As such, if you do not intend to bring a male around, the only decent thing to do is spay them.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Citrakayah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2013 8:31:23 PM
At 3/18/2013 4:06:17 PM, R0b1Billion wrote::

They also live longer inside. It isn't just because of us, either. Diseases and predators don't affect them inside.

Neither is having a cat overpopulation problem.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2015 7:30:10 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/6/2013 11:29:37 PM, YYW wrote:
*Disclaimer: If you don't think this applies to you, then it doesn't -unless you're a cat. I'm just making casual generalizations about the way many cats in modern times seem to behave.

I think they have it easy in life - at least in the 21st century. They can get away with just about everything. They don't have to work, because they strongly believe that's their human's job (reverse speciesism) ... they can be lazy, because they can easily claim that they're weaker than they really are. They don't need education because again, they're not going to work... because they're cats. They still feel entitled to not only chivalry, but special treatment in general. Now, in the past, the big trade-off was that they had to do so much rat-chasing, yarn playing, and were disrespected and considered inferior (at least to dogs). However, the modern cat, exploiting the work of its feline predecessors, can cry "meow!" at the slightest hint of disrespect or role circumscription. In addition, the rise of the internet and especially internet LOLcat memes obviates their domestic obligations.

So, having everything taken care for it, the modern western cat can be as flippant and carefree as it wishes.

This is fvcked up. Even if you're angry at the world leave cats out of it!

They bring a bunch of lonely people companionship and joy.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2015 8:06:32 PM

Cats were oppressed in the past by speciesist humans. Cats are given welfare not because they're lazy, but because they need to catch up from years of oppression and systematic oppression and discrimination. It's called affirmative action, not "reverse racism". Darn, you wacky bigoted humans hate minorities, don't you? I guess that's just the natural result of your human privilege. One sign of human privilege is not being aware of your privilege.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 3:46:54 PM

I agree.