Total Posts:161|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Racism

Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2009 2:59:38 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
So, here's a stupid question: how can anyone be racist?

I do know why people are racist, and for what psychological and situational reasons they may be inclined to become racist, bigoted, or anything else - but I have no idea how they can be racist.

My question comes from the fact that I was waiting for a pizza to be made last night at the closest restaurant. Most of the workers are immigrated Indians, Pakistanis, or from some area near there. As I was waiting, the wife of one of those workers, also an immigrant who spoke whatever language it is she spoke that wasn't English, as well as her young son. She was talking with her husband, laughing at something he said, the kid was looking at me like kids look at someone older and much larger then they are, and it was generally just a normal situation that anyone else I've noticed enters in to.

Being of the odd mind I am, I got to wondering why exactly there are people out there that call these people sub-human and want them either gone or dead. They don't seem different to me on any account other than what differentiates myself from any other human superficially. It would absolutely astound me to be in the mind of a racist, who somehow views that woman laughing, or that child staring, as sub-human or truly different. I just don't understand it.

So, again, how can anyone be racist when faced with the facts that others aren't really that different at all?
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2009 3:04:44 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/7/2009 2:59:38 PM, Volkov wrote:
So, here's a stupid question: how can anyone be racist?

I do know why people are racist, and for what psychological and situational reasons they may be inclined to become racist, bigoted, or anything else - but I have no idea how they can be racist.

My question comes from the fact that I was waiting for a pizza to be made last night at the closest restaurant. Most of the workers are immigrated Indians, Pakistanis, or from some area near there. As I was waiting, the wife of one of those workers, also an immigrant who spoke whatever language it is she spoke that wasn't English, as well as her young son. She was talking with her husband, laughing at something he said, the kid was looking at me like kids look at someone older and much larger then they are, and it was generally just a normal situation that anyone else I've noticed enters in to.

Being of the odd mind I am, I got to wondering why exactly there are people out there that call these people sub-human and want them either gone or dead. They don't seem different to me on any account other than what differentiates myself from any other human superficially. It would absolutely astound me to be in the mind of a racist, who somehow views that woman laughing, or that child staring, as sub-human or truly different. I just don't understand it.

So, again, how can anyone be racist when faced with the facts that others aren't really that different at all?

It is just how some people are raised...
It is just excepted among elders... who influence youth
Being racist is nothing new... what is new is accepting these so called "sub-human".

It is just the way the world has turned for a long time..
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2009 3:32:30 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Racism is centered around people being insecure about cultural differences, and this situation is about your outlook on how these people share a cultural similarity.

I don't consider myself racist, but I do consider myself highly prejudiced. I justify my stance because of my experiences with certain types of people who dress, speak, and act a particular way. To go against my experiences would be to open myself up to danger that could have been avoided. Even if I falsely assess a situation, what harm is done? A few hurt feelings?

The inconvenience of a seatbelt for 9,999/10,000 car rides is worth the 1/10,000 in which the seatbelt saves your life, is it not?
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2009 3:44:32 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
People can become racist towards muslims and arabs after events like 9/11, torturing and behadings of journalists, and most recently, shooting up military bases.

People can become racist towards minorities based on the simple fact that they make up a disproportionate amount of the prison population, 25% of the US is minorities, while 65% of the US prision population is minorities - or something like that.

People can become racist towards asians because of events like Pearl Harbor, Vietnam War, and cultural practices like eating dogs.

I'm not saying these events justify racism, but I'm giving justifiable reasons that a racist may make.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2009 3:45:19 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/7/2009 2:59:38 PM, Volkov wrote:
So, here's a stupid question: how can anyone be racist?

I do know why people are racist, and for what psychological and situational reasons they may be inclined to become racist, bigoted, or anything else - but I have no idea how they can be racist.

My question comes from the fact that I was waiting for a pizza to be made last night at the closest restaurant. Most of the workers are immigrated Indians, Pakistanis, or from some area near there. As I was waiting, the wife of one of those workers, also an immigrant who spoke whatever language it is she spoke that wasn't English, as well as her young son. She was talking with her husband, laughing at something he said, the kid was looking at me like kids look at someone older and much larger then they are, and it was generally just a normal situation that anyone else I've noticed enters in to.

Being of the odd mind I am, I got to wondering why exactly there are people out there that call these people sub-human and want them either gone or dead. They don't seem different to me on any account other than what differentiates myself from any other human superficially. It would absolutely astound me to be in the mind of a racist, who somehow views that woman laughing, or that child staring, as sub-human or truly different. I just don't understand it.

So, again, how can anyone be racist when faced with the facts that others aren't really that different at all?

It is usually an issue people are worried about, usually the more susceptible working class Because the issue seems daunting, they rush to blame the obvious but wrong reason. I their friend becomes unemployed, they'll blame immigrants getting the jobs. If they then see a small news article about how an immigrant was involved in a crime this will deepen their hatred. Vocals leaders on the issue make things much worse.

Some times, it's upbringing hat causes it.

A group called Stormfront over here tried to stop a statue for Phil Lynott, one of Ireland greatest musicians, from being put up simply because he's half caste. It's frankly ridiculous how they prey on a minority. It's resemblant on Nazi germane.

Whilst on this point, I think a lot of racism is misinterpreted. As Kleptin said, if you usually hav bad run-in's with Black people wearing tracksuits, you're best of avoiding them when possible. However, this, and many other things, are interpreter as racism. However, frankly, I don't think it is. Case in point, there's a phenomenon about Romanian Gypsies over here, but the average, working Romanians don't even like them.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2009 4:38:24 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/7/2009 3:44:32 PM, Nags wrote:
People can become racist towards muslims and arabs after events like 9/11, torturing and behadings of journalists, and most recently, shooting up military bases.

People can become racist towards minorities based on the simple fact that they make up a disproportionate amount of the prison population, 25% of the US is minorities, while 65% of the US prision population is minorities - or something like that.

People can become racist towards asians because of events like Pearl Harbor, Vietnam War, and cultural practices like eating dogs.

I'm not saying these events justify racism, but I'm giving justifiable reasons that a racist may make.

And when people are finally excepted as racist and are identifying with people they respect, such as after 9/11, then it becomes easier racist.

When everyone around you is smoking it becomes extremely easy to smoke... you begin to feel weird if your not doing it...
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2009 9:59:36 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
People see correlations, and because they're stupid, and/or because they've heard something to that effect, they assume that the patterns they see must be rooted in physiology.
A lot of people simply aren't smart enough, or aren't educated enough to know that there are a lot of very influential causes for certain correlations, that have nothing to do with actual physical makeup.

Also there are plenty of people who, as commoncents points out, just don't care to think any differently than how they're raised.

Further, I think it quite plausible that people are inherently xenophobic to some extent, not toward "race" specifically, but rather toward "others". All people have their groups and compete with others. It would make sense that somehow a predisposition to not like those not in "your group" would come about evolutionarily. Even if you look at chimps, you see that they raid and kill those rival groups.

Race is an easy way to make such group distinctions, and might also be particularly likely candidate, for its plausible that since for the most part, while we were evolving, small groups were mostly family and small differences in facial features might have been evolved to clue us in to who might be from a diff. group. For example they say that people report being most attracted to those people who look most like their own family (as opposed to the idea that opposites attract), it could be that those who don't look like the family with which we are raised, automatically set into an outgroup, and that dramatic differences kind of overloads the system.

Then again this is just evolutionary conjecture, which though I find interesting, can be done in all different directions, and to explain so many things, just with no actual validity at all.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2009 6:42:16 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
So, here's a stupid question: how can anyone be leftist?

I do know why people are leftist, and for what psychological and situational reasons they may be inclined to become leftist, communist, or anything else - but I have no idea how they can be leftist .

My question comes from the fact that I was waiting for a pizza to be made last night at the closest restaurant. The fellow who created the joint is a businessman. As I was waiting, the wife of that owner, also an businesswoman who spoke about whatever accounting jargon it is that i didn't understand, as well as her young son. She was talking with her husband, laughing at something he said, the kid was looking at me like kids look at someone older and much larger then they are, and it was generally just a normal situation that anyone else I've noticed enters in to.

Being of the odd mind I am, I got to wondering why exactly there are people out there that call these people sub-human and want them either gone or dead. They don't seem different to me on any account other than what differentiates myself from any other human superficially. It would absolutely astound me to be in the mind of a leftist, who somehow views that woman laughing, or that child staring, as sub-human or truly different. I just don't understand it.

So, again, how can anyone be leftist when faced with the facts that others aren't really that different at all?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2009 7:57:28 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/8/2009 6:42:16 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
So, here's a stupid question: how can anyone be leftist?


Being of the odd mind I am, I got to wondering why exactly there are people out there that call these people sub-human and want them either gone or dead. They don't seem different to me on any account other than what differentiates myself from any other human superficially. It would absolutely astound me to be in the mind of a leftist, who somehow views that woman laughing, or that child staring, as sub-human or truly different. I just don't understand it.

So, again, how can anyone be leftist when faced with the facts that others aren't really that different at all?

I think you may be projecting Ragnar and perhaps you view the poor or the 'lazy' as subhuman.
SOME leftists may regard SOME businessmen as parasites but this doesn't mean they think they or their families are sub human or deserving of any less than anyone else. Leftists generally believe in equality.

Back on topic, racism is caused by fear, ignorance and insecurity. Occasionally just by negative experiences with individuals of a certain ethnic group.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2009 8:19:31 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I'd have a response for you, Feverish, but that would destroy a perfectly good joke. Where were you when they passed out the humor? Or is that just the inevitable result of it being a handout?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
wonderwoman
Posts: 744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2009 10:14:31 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/8/2009 7:57:28 PM, feverish wrote:

Back on topic, racism is caused by fear, ignorance and insecurity. Occasionally just by negative experiences with individuals of a certain ethnic group.

I disagree Racism is projected from the belief that a culture is superior to another or that one race is superior to another. In some cases this can be true, as history has shown.
feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2009 5:25:58 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/8/2009 8:19:31 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
I'd have a response for you, Feverish, but that would destroy a perfectly good joke. Where were you when they passed out the humor? Or is that just the inevitable result of it being a handout?

Sorry Rags for not taking your comment in the humourous vein it was no doubt meant in. It did make me chuckle but it does also bug me when those who favour elitism accuse those who don't of prejudice.

wonderwoman wrote:

Racism is projected from the belief that a culture is superior to another or that one race is superior to another. In some cases this can be true, as history has shown.

I'm not sure what you mean. Military conquest doesn't equal biological superiority in my book. Culture and race are two separate (although related) things.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2009 5:45:14 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/8/2009 10:14:31 PM, wonderwoman wrote:
At 11/8/2009 7:57:28 PM, feverish wrote:

Back on topic, racism is caused by fear, ignorance and insecurity. Occasionally just by negative experiences with individuals of a certain ethnic group.

I disagree Racism is projected from the belief that a culture is superior to another or that one race is superior to another. In some cases this can be true, as history has shown.

Though race and culture are correlated I wouldn't claim that they are causally related, because their is no reason to whatsoever.

Racism is kind of like religion. It's an unjustified leap of logic.
Why are we here?? There must be a God.
Why are there correlations?? There must be important physiological differences.

I wouldn't claim that there absolutely aren't any important physiological differences, for example if you consider height important, pygmys are rather lacking, but I have never been given any good reason to posit such important differences.

Is it possible that some people are smarter or that certain people are disposed to act in certain ways?? Maybe..?? but there's no reason to affirm that that is the case, or actively BELIEVE it. For there are lots of other very influential factors.
For example: Chinese ppl are good at math.
- chinese people speak chinese, which has very short syllables for numerals and so they can store more numbers in their phonological loop when contemplating equations. They also are pushed rather hard at math b/c in China the liberal arts might mean rebellion, and in America b/c the immigrant parents don't know english and don't have much value of liberal arts, they push their kids in math.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2009 11:17:08 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Here in London ethnically white British people account for less than half of the population (which is cool as I've always wanted to be a member of an ethnic minority). This is great because it means I have friends from all around the world right here in my own city.

However, I do know some racist people, one of them is a regular at my local pub. We get on fine until we talk about race then he gets really uptight, which doesn't bother me, but what does bother me is that he is the news editor of one of Britain's biggest selling newspapers and his views are reflected in the paper's news and editorials.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
wonderwoman
Posts: 744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2009 12:02:38 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/9/2009 5:25:58 AM, feverish wrote:
At 11/8/2009 8:19:31 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
I'd have a response for you, Feverish, but that would destroy a perfectly good joke. Where were you when they passed out the humor? Or is that just the inevitable result of it being a handout?

Sorry Rags for not taking your comment in the humourous vein it was no doubt meant in. It did make me chuckle but it does also bug me when those who favour elitism accuse those who don't of prejudice.

wonderwoman wrote:

Racism is projected from the belief that a culture is superior to another or that one race is superior to another. In some cases this can be true, as history has shown.

I'm not sure what you mean. Military conquest doesn't equal biological superiority in my book. Culture and race are two separate (although related) things.

without the belief that one culture that one culture is superior to another America would not exist.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2009 1:02:05 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Wonderwoman,

I hate lots of cultural ideas. I like some "cultures" more than others.
I dislike the idea of cultural categories generally.
I hate cultural relativism, and it's spawn: ethical relativism; with a passion.

I am not a racist. Culture=/=Race.

A person of any race can be raised in, and be a participant of, any culture.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2009 1:12:50 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
For example:

I thoroughly dislike (ie; hate), the so called "hip hop culture" to which a lot of black people in the US are a part. I think it might be fair to say that it is the dominant "culture" of African Americans in our country, especially where I live. I don't think that I have ever heard of one intelligent or reasonable thing come out of the hip hop "culture" and think that anyone who takes part is being a moron, and holding themselves back.

HOWEVER, None of this means that I think that this has anything to do with these people being "black", and to think so is to take a leap which logic does not allow.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
omelet
Posts: 416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2009 1:54:51 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Racism exists because of the way we judge people. For example, if we see a much higher than average green population doing horrible things, we will likely prejudge green people to be inferior. Like police profiling, it may not be effective every time, but overall it ends up being more effective than prejudging everyone the same.

That said, I believe many of us have become rational enough that we don't need such prejudgements to get by. For most people, it takes effort to truly and fully overcome the prejudiced mindset we instinctively develop. It is especially difficult for those who were actively taught that certain races are inferior/more dangerous/more selfish than others.
LeafRod
Posts: 1,548
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2009 2:27:06 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/7/2009 3:32:30 PM, Kleptin wrote:
Racism is centered around people being insecure about cultural differences, and this situation is about your outlook on how these people share a cultural similarity.

I don't consider myself racist, but I do consider myself highly prejudiced. I justify my stance because of my experiences with certain types of people who dress, speak, and act a particular way. To go against my experiences would be to open myself up to danger that could have been avoided. Even if I falsely assess a situation, what harm is done? A few hurt feelings?

The inconvenience of a seatbelt for 9,999/10,000 car rides is worth the 1/10,000 in which the seatbelt saves your life, is it not?

What situations can you possibly be assessing? When you're walking down the street and you suddenly see a bunch of thug-looking black dudes on the end of the street? Then, your prejudice against black people allows you to accurately assess the situation and prevent yourself from getting knifed?

I would say that if you were ever in real danger, your prejudice would not save you, and if you were in a situation where you think your prejudice might help you, there are many other factors that influence your decision.

So, I might say that your prejudice isn't really helping you at all, and rather giving you a false sense of security—all while you treat other people in unnecessary ways.
feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2009 3:56:19 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/9/2009 1:12:50 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

I thoroughly dislike (ie; hate), the so called "hip hop culture" to which a lot of black people in the US are a part. I think it might be fair to say that it is the dominant "culture" of African Americans in our country, especially where I live. I don't think that I have ever heard of one intelligent or reasonable thing come out of the hip hop "culture" and think that anyone who takes part is being a moron, and holding themselves back.

HOWEVER, None of this means that I think that this has anything to do with these people being "black", and to think so is to take a leap which logic does not allow.

Hey matt, I'm glad you despise racism but I think it's a shame you despise hip hop culture as well.

Hip hop culture originated in your city as an alternative to gang violence for inner city kids of all races. Much that is intelligent or reasonable has come from it.

I assume it is just a misunderstanding and that what you mean by hip hop culture is the phenomenon of gang violence itself and the gangsta/thug persona adopted by impressionable kids and greedy rappers alike.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2009 4:23:54 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/9/2009 3:56:19 PM, feverish wrote:

Hey matt, I'm glad you despise racism but I think it's a shame you despise hip hop culture as well.

Hip hop culture originated in your city as an alternative to gang violence for inner city kids of all races. Much that is intelligent or reasonable has come from it.

I assume it is just a misunderstanding and that what you mean by hip hop culture is the phenomenon of gang violence itself and the gangsta/thug persona adopted by impressionable kids and greedy rappers alike.

Yes. I was stating generalizations as fact, and as such I was probably unfair to a good number of people. Namely those that try to make "hip hop" a force for good, or just not one for bad, and though I myself don't know much at all about any hip hopsters, I know people talk of ones who are in fact not complete idiots, but rather thoughtful, intelligent, artists if you will.

I just don't like the general vibes coming from it, which are the only ones I pick up on, probably in part because I have already to some extent dismissed it.
I suppose I'm in a way intolerant because I generally dismiss cultures easily, especially when they send off vibes of ridiculousness.

I suppose I think of cultures as I think of religions. I am predisposed to be quite dismissive of both, and see the potential harms rather than to look for the good, being that I don't see either belief/practice systems being as having the legitimacy of dictating/influencing how people think (though I realize that culture doesn't necessarily have to infringe as much as religion usually does).

I would prefer people didn't seek to have such thought/perspective systems.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
wonderwoman
Posts: 744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2009 4:25:04 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/9/2009 5:25:58 AM, feverish wrote:
At 11/8/2009 8:19:31 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
I'd have a response for you, Feverish, but that would destroy a perfectly good joke. Where were you when they passed out the humor? Or is that just the inevitable result of it being a handout?

Sorry Rags for not taking your comment in the humourous vein it was no doubt meant in. It did make me chuckle but it does also bug me when those who favour elitism accuse those who don't of prejudice.

wonderwoman wrote:

Racism is projected from the belief that a culture is superior to another or that one race is superior to another. In some cases this can be true, as history has shown.

I'm not sure what you mean. Military conquest doesn't equal biological superiority in my book. Culture and race are two separate (although related) things.

Racism promotes social darwinism basically. Unless, I am mistaken, and social darwinism has lead to some say eugenics.

However, colonianism was allowed via this belief. The Indians were weaker so Being the stronger and feeling disdain toward the "savage" and weak they took the land.

War. The victor had the stronger military.

Racism, is a necessary for society to function properly.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2009 4:31:56 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/9/2009 4:25:04 PM, wonderwoman wrote:

Racism promotes social darwinism basically. Unless, I am mistaken, and social darwinism has lead to some say eugenics.

However, colonianism was allowed via this belief. The Indians were weaker so Being the stronger and feeling disdain toward the "savage" and weak they took the land.

War. The victor had the stronger military.

Racism, is a necessary for society to function properly.

ok. so because society was racist, society must be racist to exist.

What about an internal community, without different races. Can they function without racism?
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2009 4:38:15 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Also "social darwinism" is the most ridiculous concept ever.
Darwinism is about who reproduces most.
It doesn't have to do with morality, and doesn't justify depriving someone of rights.
For example: say a woman has a physiologically caused later than usual menopause, she is more fit to reproduce. Darwinism doesn't suggest that she has more claim to rights.

"Social Darwinism" boils down to the idea that people who have power, have a RIGHT to power, and it provides no argument.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2009 4:44:01 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/9/2009 1:12:50 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
I don't think that I have ever heard of one intelligent or reasonable thing come out of the hip hop "culture" and think that anyone who takes part is being a moron, and holding themselves back.

Are you serious? Ever heard of Canibus or Jedi Mind Tricks?

"Telekinetic electro-genetic psyonic weapon
With extra-sensory perception of precognitive method" - Canibus

"I am not alone in my pursuit to replace God" - Canibus

"I got bored with four beats to the measure, Professor speech compressor,
Terminated his tenure to explore a more rewarding adventure" - Canibus

"I don't care if I make history, I want to be a part of Infinity!" - Canibus

"Awareness upon my savanna is omni-dimensional, great species have a common memory complex of the social, liquid crystal colloidal membranes responding to the spectrum of the universal intelligence matrix" - Jedi Mind Tricks
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2009 4:46:04 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Race doesn't exist and anyone who thinks so, is deluded. And no, racism is not necessary, that's ridiculous. There is no favorable traits to be gained by getting rid of another race.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2009 4:50:10 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/9/2009 4:25:04 PM, wonderwoman wrote:

Racism promotes social darwinism basically. Unless, I am mistaken, and social darwinism has lead to some say eugenics.

Do you think that the idea of eugenics (in general) is a good one?

However, colonianism was allowed via this belief. The Indians were weaker so Being the stronger and feeling disdain toward the "savage" and weak they took the land.

Do you think that the idea of colonialism (in general) is a good one?

War. The victor had the stronger military.

Yes but surely this is generally due to organisation and technology, which are of course cultural rather than biological factors.

Racism, is a necessary for society to function properly.

Please explain why and how. I strongly disagree.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2009 4:54:14 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
SDarwinism has no claim to similarity at all.

The only reason that it is called under the title Darwinism at all is that it gained support from Darwin's own "racist", if you will, understanding of people.

In the Descent of Man he sketches out how he thinks that Caucasians are the most evolved type of man, and how current interactions between peoples, that is colonialism, would likely further human evolution to the point where only caucasians are left, and eventually super caucasions would develop. This theorizing, along with that of contemporaries, justified the Social darwinist perspective that might is right.

However Darwin's own conjecture on such matters is a matter of leaping without reason, and just assuming physiological differences based off of correlations which necessitated no such thing, and had many other causes which were either not available for Darwin to see, or which were simply not looked for because of initial prejudice on his part.

So if you care to make such unreasonable leaps then you can claim Social Darwinism is A.O.K. but if your a reasonable person, than you may not, because there is NO REASON WHATSOEVER TO THINK SO!! lol.

I don't claim important differentiation cannot/has not happened, but in order to claim that it has, you have to give good reason for thinking so, and explain how social, geographical, crop availability, domesticable animal availability were not the main factors in how the vast social differences that separates the "races" came to be, and instead provide an argument/ present evidence that the races are in an important and meaningful way physiologically different.

Basically, if your'e a Racist, or don't understand how these differences could come to be w/o a racist understanding: Read Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."