Jump to topic:

Chomsky FTW

malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2013 2:34:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
So, basically what he's saying is that modern Libertarianism is to Economics what modern Christianity is to Philosophy.

Hmmm...who else do we know who has been saying something similar? I know that person is around here somewhere...maybe someone who reads this will remember. It's slipped my mind.

And, say what you want about Chomsky, but one thing you can't say is that he is either stupid or oft wrong (unless you're some blow hard idiot like BigRat who makes ridiculous assertions without ever checking the validity of them or backing any of them up, but that's not you, right?)

Also, I think the environmentalism section of what he said is important, and I'd like for just a minute to bring it back to guns.

If you valued the lives of children AT ALL, you'd be an environmentalist. Global Warming is literally killing future generations of human beings, some of whom are now children.

BUT

Despite the massive number of children who will die because you need to run 3 plasma TVs all day long at your fast food franchise, when a pre-made board with menu prices is more than equal to the task, you'll kill X number of children without thought (and X > 22...a lot more), but you want armed guards to protect these same children that your actions are literally killing...albeit more slowly?

It's asinine.
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2013 6:16:18 PM
So he's talking about himself?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 10:22:58 AM
At 3/11/2013 6:24:42 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
Penn and Teller FTW.

I watched as much of that as I could stomach, but here's what I gathered:

1. The environmentalist movement has turned into a distorted version of its former self
and is now wrought with young people who have no f*cking clue about what they're fighting for or against.

This is probably true, but guess which other movement exists (lots and lots here) where this is also true? It starts with L and ends in ibertarianism.

And, these facts have no bearing on the argument of either group.

2. There's disagreement...

There isn't much. Most of those who disagree about this are reading studies funded by the same groups who are causing which ever problem it is about the study is focused.

Which environmental problem out there does anyone believe is bullsh!t. I'll pull a completely independent study which shows it isn't, and you'll give me a politician's opinion as your counter argument...guaranteed.

We're f*cking up the Earth. The first place we're going to see the effects of this is Africa. Saharan Expansion may cause a Malthusian Level event within our lifetimes (look it up...the term...I don't care if you look up Africa, but everyone should know who Thomas Malthus is).

3. People use rhetoric and hyperbole to get their point across

Whooptie-friggin-doo

4. "The Skeptical Environmentalist" is full of sh!t

The number of calories per capita that the world produces currently (especially given that most of it is produced in the US and most of it is in the form of corn) has ZERO to do with the health of the planet (I saw this chart up on his screen as they were doing the intro for him...that's when I shut off the video)
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...