Jump to topic:

sexism and cookery

suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 11:25:34 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I saw a lot of members in this site who like to link cookery and house work duty as oppose to famine power and racial conflict. I want to know why it is related at all?

I mean the girl is not forced to do house work under threat of violence right? Why the fact that she like to cook have any connection with sexism?

In my house we almost have to fight for the right to use kitchen, to which my dad always won and he is the one who cook (splendidly, I dearly said that he can bring restaurant to shame), it is often the duty we would be glad to oblige, is it not like that in the state?
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 12:06:53 PM
I don't think that many people think that women should stop cooking and cleaning and all of that if they don't want to. The problem comes when society puts this obligation on them to act a certain way and do certain things. People mainly criticize gender roles, not people who freely choose to do those activities.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 3:27:32 PM
At 3/14/2013 12:06:53 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
I don't think that many people think that women should stop cooking and cleaning and all of that if they don't want to. The problem comes when society puts this obligation on them to act a certain way and do certain things. People mainly criticize gender roles, not people who freely choose to do those activities.

What about the reverse, when society puts an obligation on them to have a career instead.

Individuals aren't free agents, they are bound by the social pressures and incentives of society.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 3:30:57 PM
At 3/14/2013 3:27:32 PM, darkkermit wrote:

What about the reverse, when society puts an obligation on them to have a career instead.
That's equally as repulsive.
Individuals aren't free agents, they are bound by the social pressures and incentives of society.
That's why women can't vote, right? Oh wait...
Society can change for the better.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 5:34:42 PM
At 3/14/2013 3:30:57 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

Yet it is the modern thought process for modern society.

Yes, they are bound. That's why women didn't have the right to vote previously. I didn't say that only social pressures and incentives matter, just that they are bound to it.
Open borders debate:
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 6:30:11 PM
At 3/14/2013 5:34:42 PM, darkkermit wrote:

That doesn't make it any less repulsive.

Yes, they are bound. That's why women didn't have the right to vote previously. I didn't say that only social pressures and incentives matter, just that they are bound to it.

Who exactly decides these things?
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 6:33:57 PM
At 3/14/2013 6:30:11 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

Right, but as I said, social pressure and incentives influence behavior. Nobody exists in a vacuum (or as a "free agent").

There's no "who". It's decentralized.
Open borders debate:
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 6:37:26 PM
At 3/14/2013 6:33:57 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Right, but as I said, social pressure and incentives influence behavior. Nobody exists in a vacuum (or as a "free agent").
Then change society's view.

And about half the population is affected by the issues above. If social change is wanted, it will happen. You just need to get people to want it.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 6:43:05 PM
At 3/14/2013 6:37:26 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

And about half the population is affected by the issues above. If social change is wanted, it will happen. You just need to get people to want it.

I didn't say that social change doesn't occur, only that we are abound by social pressures and incentives. People act based on their environment, don't know how that's complicated. People's political and social views are shaped by the environment around them.
Open borders debate:
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 6:52:02 PM
At 3/14/2013 6:43:05 PM, darkkermit wrote:

I didn't say that social change doesn't occur, only that we are abound by social pressures and incentives. People act based on their environment, don't know how that's complicated. People's political and social views are shaped by the environment around them.

So if society did not place an emphasis on acting certain ways and the like, what would happen?
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 6:54:10 PM
At 3/14/2013 6:52:02 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

So if society did not place an emphasis on acting certain ways and the like, what would happen?

People would be allowed to express their own individual interests and views instead of being coerced in to fitting a perfect stereotype of what they should and shouldn't be.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 6:56:12 PM
At 3/14/2013 6:52:02 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

It does no matter what. It can't occur. People make friends based on similar interest. People pick up habits based on others around them. Discussions with friends, and family influence preferences and thought processes. Entertainment emphasizes certain values based on storyline, people's apperances, what they wear, attitudes, etc.
Open borders debate:
jimd.mcmullin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 5:51:20 PM
i love conversations like this gives me a chance to brag about my wife.
first off shes a professional chef, and loves to cook, combine that with the fact i burn water and she never lets me cook. wont even teach me too cook. She also does some local MMA fighting in the womens division. she is a powerful woman with the willpower to match my own. im her sparring partner, i dont fight professionaly, im a self employed metalworker who just enjoys spending time with his wife and bending steel to my will. i love my brazilian wife with every fiber of my being we have been togeather for 14 years now and to this day we have never yelled at each other, and other then sparring 3 times a week we have never hit each other, mind you she has gotten the better of me several times while sparring. My marias' 5' 3" tall and 135 Lbs so shes much quicker then me.
the point im trying to make is women arent considered weak anymore, if they choose to cook so be it, they can do anything they set their mind too and honestly we as men need to accept them as our equal partners and set asside the old notions of the distant past . the old ideas that women are the weaker of the sexes has been proven false. women are generaly quicker and have better balance with a lower center of gravity these two traits can even the playing field and sometime rebalance it in their favor.
sexism is an outdated idea and it needs to die already because what some people consider sexist isnt sexist at all theyre just using it as a crutch. as i said i love my wife very much she chooses to be the cook in our family and i support her in anything she chooses to do im proud of her cause shes a powerful woman who makes no excuses or crutches even when some stupid moron calls her a nigger, she brushes off most insults and is very good natured. I only get involved when someone calls me a cracker or niggerlover theres no need for me to get involved otherwise unless she asks me too.
so you see sexism is a state of mind and it can be from both sexes. its a crutch to hold up a persons ideas no matter whether those ideas are wrong or not.
as far as cookery is concerned there are more men chefs then women so sexism is a moot point there.