Total Posts:7|Showing Posts:1-7
Jump to topic:

Would You Need To Protect What Is Yours?

pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2013 12:06:08 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
If everyone in the world could always obtain everything they may or may not want, without needing to ever take anything from anyone in an unwilling manner, would you have any reason to feel the need to protect your belongings or any other persons?
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2013 12:07:11 PM
At 3/15/2013 12:06:08 PM, pozessed wrote:
If everyone in the world could always obtain everything they may or may not want, without needing to ever take anything from anyone in an unwilling manner, would you have any reason to feel the need to protect your belongings or any other persons?

I think the motivation to steal would be gone if you could get anything you wanted anytime you wanted it. So no.
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2013 1:07:37 PM
May be, may be not. The fact that I can take anything from any one, don't necessarily mean I am willing to give my things to any one.
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2013 2:39:45 PM

Possessiveness stems largely from insecurity, ergo you can diminish it to the extent that you can diminish insecurity and conditions making for insecurity, such as the inequitable distribution of economic wealth.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 1:22:38 AM

Free energy would essentially make theft of property unnecessary. We're probably really close to figuring this out as well, but we're at a really weird point in human history and getting over the hump is damn near impossible. If we do it, though, it should be smooth sailing from there.

Of course, property isn't the only thing which causes conflict. There's coveting people with whom you want to, but for whatever reason can't, be with. There's having more than one God worshiped by various people...

I'm not a theist, but there are a lot of parts of The Bible that could make for a much more harmonious society if they were observed.

Just sayin'...
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 4:10:05 AM
At 3/16/2013 1:22:38 AM, malcolmxy wrote:

Free energy would essentially make theft of property unnecessary. We're probably really close to figuring this out as well, but we're at a really weird point in human history and getting over the hump is damn near impossible. If we do it, though, it should be smooth sailing from there.

Of course, property isn't the only thing which causes conflict. There's coveting people with whom you want to, but for whatever reason can't, be with. There's having more than one God worshiped by various people...

I'm not a theist, but there are a lot of parts of The Bible that could make for a much more harmonious society if they were observed.

Just sayin'...

Can I have my brain ? That's pretty much my thoughts as well.
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 6:49:28 AM
At 3/16/2013 4:10:05 AM, pozessed wrote:
At 3/16/2013 1:22:38 AM, malcolmxy wrote:

Just sayin'...

Can I have my brain ? That's pretty much my thoughts as well.

Yeah...no problem. I'm not doing anything useful with it. Ready? Catch!
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...