Jump to topic:

Suicide from bullying

jerry148
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 4:39:53 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I've been hearing a lot of stories recently about kids committing suicide because they were bullied. My question is, if the victim has every means available to report the bullying (to a LEO, parent, teacher, religious leader, etc.), without any fear for their life, etc, yet chooses not to, or even refuses to, and eventually commits suicide, should the victim be admonished for not reporting the bullying?

Keep in mind that I don't condone or excuse bullying for any reason. And obviously the bullies would receive their fair share of justice, if the case can be proved that they caused the depression and eventual suicide.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 4:43:21 PM
U just don't report bullying in high school. Nobody likes snitches and you will be socially shunned for your actions
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 6:50:56 PM
I've found that the best way to stop bullies is to introduce secondary predators. A group of kids who come down hard on bullies and neutralize them at a peer level without resorting to authorities. We had a few such individuals in my class and we had very little problems with bullies. The big problem with zero tolerance is that it destroys this beneficial dynamic.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
THEVIRUS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 6:57:21 PM
At 3/20/2013 4:43:21 PM, darkkermit wrote:
U just don't report bullying in high school. Nobody likes snitches and you will be socially shunned for your actions

I actually am having a problem right now but haven't reported it because of ^
"So you want me to go to the judge with 'unit, corps, God, country'?" - A Few Good Men

"And the hits just keep on comin'." -A Few Good Men
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 6:59:38 PM
At 3/20/2013 4:43:21 PM, darkkermit wrote:

So what?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 7:02:03 PM
At 3/20/2013 4:39:53 PM, jerry148 wrote:
I've been hearing a lot of stories recently about kids committing suicide because they were bullied. My question is, if the victim has every means available to report the bullying (to a LEO, parent, teacher, religious leader, etc.), without any fear for their life, etc, yet chooses not to, or even refuses to, and eventually commits suicide, should the victim be admonished for not reporting the bullying?

Keep in mind that I don't condone or excuse bullying for any reason. And obviously the bullies would receive their fair share of justice, if the case can be proved that they caused the depression and eventual suicide.

now you see not every person has reliable versions of those resources
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 11:10:34 PM
At 3/20/2013 6:50:56 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
I've found that the best way to stop bullies is to introduce secondary predators. A group of kids who come down hard on bullies and neutralize them at a peer level without resorting to authorities.

I agree, and this has been the case in my experience as well. Peace through strength doesn't just work with US-Soviet relations. Reagan's wisdom is equally applicable to the schoolyard.

We had a few such individuals in my class and we had very little problems with bullies.

In every case, where I have seen bullies bullied, the bullying stops altogether. It's about holding people accountable for their means, by their means and their means alone. It's a form of communication in a language necessitated by circumstance, and I'd support it every time.

The big problem with zero tolerance is that it destroys this beneficial dynamic.

Yes, because it makes no distinction in bullies, and those who bully bullies -which is idiotic. Do I think it's always right to meet bullies on their level? No, but when circumstances necessitate that force be met with force, greater force is the only means of deterring an even greater harm.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 11:28:00 PM
I think a better solution is to strictly enforce rules on bullying and suspend/expel students who bully. While I am all for encouraging students to stick out for victims i.e. other students discouraging bullying by defending the victim while he is being bullied, I think a solution like bullying the bullies could get out of hand very quickly. Consider this, who will make the distinction between good bullies and bad bullies? How much will their subjectivity factor into it? This might also lead students to believe that fighting bullies by bullying them is acceptable on an individual level in the adult world.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 11:35:52 PM
Bullies play a vital role in society. Without bullies, nerds will never grow up to know the joy of getting to be the guy your former child-hood bully hands his resume to.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2013 12:06:48 AM
I would have to say that confrontation is the best way to deal with bullies. Of course, due to the nature of this site, I think we can all agree on that at least a little bit. In cases of Internet bullying, it is better to ignore the trolls and don't feed them. However, some are... persistent. In this case, I personally would find it more appropriate to aggressively go after them, trying to find them. Bullies who stand behind a shroud of anonymity often seem much more docile once their personal information is known. This may seem a tad harsh in some cases, though I feel that an eye for an eye is justified over the anarchic jungle that is the Internet.

In cases of in-person bullying, simply ignoring is impossible, as sometimes the 'no reaction' is what is wanted here. This is where I feel confrontation is the best way to go. I do not mean going down to their level - I mean saying to them, "Look, do you have a problem with me? Because if you do, mind your own damned business." Unexpected outbursts of hostility like this would deter a bully.

Of course, not everyone is willing to do this. Not everyone has the strength for this, and some people just need someone to stand up for them for this reason. However, to some, it seems cheap or just snitch-like to tell an adult about something like this. And bullies are used to getting punished by authority figures. I know the type, I've been in school. There are always people who are consistently in detention/ISS for the same thing every time, whether it is being disruptive, or whatever it is that people do to get in trouble (I don't find it particularly hard to not be talking to everyone while texting with my cellphone in my lap while chewing gum while wearing jeans that more closely resemble a fishing net due to the amount of holes in them, why do others find this hard?). What people need are people of their age to stand up for them. Someone that they can be on the same level with, who is as easily trusted as a teacher or mentor, but who is easier to talk to. Have you ever heard of children or teens having secrets that they trust their closest friends with, but not their parents? It's obvious that young people are hesitant to trust people older than them. With people of the same age, the 'trustability' factor is equal between the two. Obviously adults have secrets that they wouldn't share with a child. With people of the same age, both can relate their experiences. Have you heard that when gay people 'come out', they often break the news to their friends before they tell their parents/relatives? This is the exact reason for that.

If we encouraged victims to look to their friends for help, not only would victims be quicker to tell people about their problems, but their problems would actually stop when dealt with.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2013 3:07:13 AM
I find the issue of bullying two-sided, and disheartening.

On the bully side, it seems that kids feel too entitled to everything. They can do what they want, because it only their amusement/satisfaction matters. Why do people troll? To get off on others' reactions. I have a co-worker (19) who does this to me, yet he doesn't see why I think he is an a$$. Now, he could be trolling even then, and acting like an idiot is a convientent cover. Except when I call him an idiot, he gets MAD.

On the victim side, I think kids these days (god, I'm only 30) are too soft and coddelled. At work, I often work with teens. At work, I am there to work, not make friends. When mistakes happen, I get mad. When the same mistakes happen, and they cost me money (delivery boy), I get really mad. Their response of "I tried my best" is apparently some sort of defense to my criticism. So, I am not surprised that I am not liked when I make them cry by responding "Your best isn't good enough, is it?".

My point?
I think that kids who commit suicide have frail psyches, and that isn't ever addressed. I don't think bullying is any worse than it used to be, except that online is everywhere and at all times, and so can the bullying.

If the bullying is over the top, like physical beatings or physical harassment like property damage, you should report it. If it doesn't stop, call the police. But, name calling and a general not-being-liked by some is a part of life, and people need to deal with it. What ever happened to "sticks and stones" mentality, you know, the one where people define their own self worth?
My work here is, finally, done.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2013 5:42:39 AM
I'm overweight, and I was bullied alot for it in school. I reported it tons of times, and every time it would just get washed over. It got to the point where I didn't bother.

I remember one time, I was really depressed because I was being bullied. And my teacher noticed. So he kept me after class to talk to me about it. I told him nothing was wrong, but he kept asking. Eventually I told him I was being bullied. He asked me why I didn't tell anyone sooner, so I looked at him like he was an idiot then walked away.

The issue is that most teachers don't understand the situtation. They just think "tell a teacher and everything will go away". But it just doesn't work like that. The best you can hope for is the bully get suspended. Then he comes back after his suspension, ready to kick the crap out of you. The worst, is when they question the bully, he gets off scot free then kicks the crap out of you.

I got lucky though. I read a ridiculous amount when I was younger, to the point where I didn't bother doing school work. I just read, even in the middle of class. They thought I had a learning disability because of my bad grades, so they moved me to a special needs class. I met my best friend there. Nicest guy I'll ever know. And if he saw someone being bullied, he would kick the living crap out of the bully. At the time I met him, we were both 13, and he was about 5'9. So he was a big guy even back then, now he's even bigger. He staved off the bullies for me. And I couldn't possibly thank him enough, for how much he helped me.

I was one of the lucky ones, most kids aren't as lucky as me.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2013 8:32:14 AM
At 3/20/2013 11:28:00 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I think a better solution is to strictly enforce rules on bullying and suspend/expel students who bully. While I am all for encouraging students to stick out for victims i.e. other students discouraging bullying by defending the victim while he is being bullied, I think a solution like bullying the bullies could get out of hand very quickly. Consider this, who will make the distinction between good bullies and bad bullies? How much will their subjectivity factor into it? This might also lead students to believe that fighting bullies by bullying them is acceptable on an individual level in the adult world.

I can understand that position and I grant the possibility for difficulty in determining victims/bullies when bullies are themselves bullied -but I'm equally keen to the reality of enforcing the rules. Teachers/school officials cannot be all places at all times and often the consequences they can dole out are insufficient to curtail the problem -because bullying itself isn't only a cause of someone else's suffering. It's an effect -usually- of problems in the home.

While I would, in an ideal world, prefer to have a social worker address the problem or a guidance counselor resolve the matter without the potential for escalation, having seen that process transpire, it's messy, it's even more complicated than it intuitively sounds, and it (usually, by law) necessitates invoicing parents -who no matter how badly their child is behaving, will usually defend even the most asinine behavior from their son or daughter -which often results in an entirely unproductive conversation.

I'm not saying that "bullying the bullies" is even ideal, because it's not. Nothing about bullying is ideal -but I will say that meeting force with greater force is usually the only thing that works. Granted, I was never really bullied. I'm pretty tall and I've been fairly muscular since about age 14 -but I saw others being bullied, and I was the guy to throw myself in and defend the little guy whenever I could reasonably circumvent my own high school's zero-tolerance policy.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2013 8:42:16 AM
At 3/21/2013 3:07:13 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
I find the issue of bullying two-sided, and disheartening.

On the bully side, it seems that kids feel too entitled to everything. They can do what they want, because it only their amusement/satisfaction matters. Why do people troll? To get off on others' reactions. I have a co-worker (19) who does this to me, yet he doesn't see why I think he is an a$$. Now, he could be trolling even then, and acting like an idiot is a convientent cover. Except when I call him an idiot, he gets MAD.

Usually, when dealing with recalcitrant people, fear is the only language they will respond to. Fear is also convenient in that you can control it, manipulate it, and use it to your convenience.

On the victim side, I think kids these days (god, I'm only 30) are too soft and coddelled. At work, I often work with teens. At work, I am there to work, not make friends. When mistakes happen, I get mad. When the same mistakes happen, and they cost me money (delivery boy), I get really mad. Their response of "I tried my best" is apparently some sort of defense to my criticism. So, I am not surprised that I am not liked when I make them cry by responding "Your best isn't good enough, is it?".

I actually agree with this 100%. And the "I tried my best" defense is bullsh!t. "Personal best" points are non-existant. Results are all that matter.

My point?
I think that kids who commit suicide have frail psyches, and that isn't ever addressed. I don't think bullying is any worse than it used to be, except that online is everywhere and at all times, and so can the bullying.

The fact that suicide is as widely publicized as it is makes it within the realm of consideration as a means to stop the pain of being tormented every day. Teenagers (and kids too) don't understand the concept of time like adults do, so they are unlikely to see the prospect of their suffering ending. I'm not saying that I empathize, only that this is the common explanation for the phenomenon.

If the bullying is over the top, like physical beatings or physical harassment like property damage, you should report it. If it doesn't stop, call the police. But, name calling and a general not-being-liked by some is a part of life, and people need to deal with it. What ever happened to "sticks and stones" mentality, you know, the one where people define their own self worth?

I think the emphasis that people place on feelings and emotions has reduced our capacity to rationally deal with problems -but that's just me.
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2013 4:14:37 PM
At 3/20/2013 4:39:53 PM, jerry148 wrote:

Kind of to late for that.
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
jerry148
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2013 5:41:59 PM
Kind of to late for that.

Blame (not necessarily in this case) can still be applied even though the person is dead...
Mysterious_Stranger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2013 11:36:44 AM
It just goes unnoticed, it really is a highlight of how pathetic the education system is.
Turn around, go back.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2013 3:00:36 PM
At 3/20/2013 6:50:56 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
I've found that the best way to stop bullies is to introduce secondary predators. A group of kids who come down hard on bullies and neutralize them at a peer level without resorting to authorities. We had a few such individuals in my class and we had very little problems with bullies. The big problem with zero tolerance is that it destroys this beneficial dynamic.
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2013 11:48:21 PM
Bullying has taught us one thing:

Some people would rather kill themselves than lose a bit of weight.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2013 11:54:28 PM
At 9/29/2013 11:48:21 PM, Jack212 wrote:

You are aware that people are bullied for much more reasons than weight alone, right?
Wealth, looks, and abilities come to mind. Weight makes for easier targets, but a lot of fatties aren't bullied.
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2013 11:57:12 PM
At 9/29/2013 11:54:28 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

You are aware that people are bullied for much more reasons than weight alone, right?
Wealth, looks, and abilities come to mind. Weight makes for easier targets, but a lot of fatties aren't bullied.

Dude, I was just making a bad taste joke.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2013 12:00:19 AM
At 9/29/2013 11:57:12 PM, Jack212 wrote:

I thought it might be, but I was just checking. (for the record I did chuckle)
It's hard to tell online sometimes ;)
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2013 12:03:06 AM
At 9/30/2013 12:00:19 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

My son committed suicide. If I'd known, before he was born, that he was going to throw his life away like that, then I'd have gotten that abortion instead of spending 18 years telling him I wish I had.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2013 12:05:45 AM
At 9/30/2013 12:03:06 AM, Jack212 wrote:

My son committed suicide. If I'd known, before he was born, that he was going to throw his life away like that, then I'd have gotten that abortion instead of spending 18 years telling him I wish I had.

But, then you couldn't treasure that look on his face the first time you sincerely told him "I wish I had you aborted".
Priceless, that look. And worth the 18 years of disappointment.
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2013 12:08:49 AM
At 9/30/2013 12:05:45 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

But, then you couldn't treasure that look on his face the first time you sincerely told him "I wish I had you aborted".

Nah, better to just go to a supermarket, and buy:

1 pregnancy test
1 coat hanger
1 rubbish bag

All the fun, none of the pain. And the cashier will never try to chat with you ever again.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2013 12:10:53 AM
At 9/30/2013 12:08:49 AM, Jack212 wrote:

1 pregnancy test
1 coat hanger
1 rubbish bag

All the fun, none of the pain. And the cashier will never try to chat with you ever again.
Skip the pregnency test.
It's just a formality and an added expense.
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2013 12:52:59 AM
At 9/30/2013 12:10:53 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

1 pregnancy test
1 coat hanger
1 rubbish bag

Skip the pregnency test.

The pregnancy test is so they know you're performing a DIY abortion.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2013 12:55:02 AM
At 9/30/2013 12:52:59 AM, Jack212 wrote:
At 9/30/2013 12:10:53 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

1 pregnancy test
1 coat hanger
1 rubbish bag

Skip the pregnency test.

The pregnancy test is so they know you're performing a DIY abortion.

Bring it to the checkout, dumbas$.
Complain about the price, and don't buy it.
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2013 12:57:54 AM
At 9/30/2013 12:55:02 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Bring it to the checkout, dumbas$.
Complain about the price, and don't buy it.

Better yet:

Nappies.
Booze.

Only take enough money for the booze, and sadly put the nappies back.
Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2013 11:23:13 AM
Kids are hurting themselves because of bullying. To me, this sounds like a failure at the school admin level, not the student/parent level. These schools are not promoting a tolerant environment, and are doing the things that they know are causing social isolation.

It goes beyond just outright bullying. There are a lot of kids that honestly have no idea how to manage social situations.

I think a lot of teachers are semi-sane @ssholes who enjoy hurting their students. I think that these teachers will say that these kids are bringing it on themselves, and that bullying is "normal" and helps the kids learn. And so, instead of doing the right thing, they try and use bullies as a teaching tool or something.

Anyway, its all the schools' fault. Seriously, all of it. socially awkward kids are super-normal, and so are bullies. The schools HAVE to have ways to handle these things - if they don't its not mother natures fault for making shy kids and bullies. Its the schools fault for having no plan.

Kids that might hurt themselves need counselors, not bullies.