Jump to topic:

Horsemeat.

Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2013 5:09:54 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
People fear the horsemeat. Why? Is horsemeat more intelligent: therefore akin to cannibalism? Perhaps horsemeat empathizes with the human spirit?

Pigs are quite tasty and intelligent. Piglets are cute and make good movies.

We have the baconator.
Why can't there be a horseinator burger?
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2013 5:24:10 PM
Horse meat is significantly healthier and in several blind testings, food critics have rated as being better tasting. So really, a frightful hoo-ha about piffle.
Then again, I certainly wouldn't want to eat Nessie.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2013 5:30:14 PM
For the same reasons as dog meat. We live closer with them. Not many people have pet pigs. But I bet the people who do are probably made uncomfortable eating pork.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2013 6:05:53 PM
I live in Ireland, this was a huge scandal out here. The reason there is a big scare, is because many horses receive drugs which can make the meat on them harmful for consumption. If they are raised for meat, they are kept away from these drugs. The issue is that we don't know if they were.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2013 6:08:42 PM
At 3/21/2013 5:30:14 PM, FREEDO wrote:
For the same reasons as dog meat. We live closer with them. Not many people have pet pigs. But I bet the people who do are probably made uncomfortable eating pork.

ehh it was in the local newz :p

http://www.wjbo.com...
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2013 6:11:28 PM
At 3/21/2013 5:30:14 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Honestly, I'd raise a pig just to slaughter it when it got all big and fat... but I love bacon so I'm rather biased...
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2013 6:20:15 PM
Crazy horse people. If you've met them, you know exactly what I'm talking about. If you haven't, you cannot possibly fathom the depths of their insanity.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2013 6:51:18 PM
Logically, we should be eating human meat as well.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2013 6:56:04 PM
At 3/21/2013 6:51:18 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

Nothing wrong with that.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2013 7:02:22 PM
At 3/21/2013 6:56:04 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

Nothing wrong with that.

Yeah, cuz that worked out for cows.

CJD, also know as Creuzfeld-Jacob diseas and kuru, is like the human version of mad cow.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2013 7:11:02 PM
At 3/21/2013 7:02:22 PM, muzebreak wrote:

Nothing wrong with that.

CJD, also know as Creuzfeld-Jacob diseas and kuru, is like the human version of mad cow.

Cannibalism has also been implicated as a transmission mechanism for abnormal prions, causing the disease known as kuru, once found primarily among women and children of the Fore people in Papua New Guinea. While the men of the tribe ate the body of the deceased and rarely contracted the disease, the women and children, who ate the less desirable body parts, including the brain, were 8 times more likely than men to contract kuru from infected tissue.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2013 7:23:31 PM

Nothing wrong with that.

Does that make it wrong?
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2013 7:32:59 PM
At 3/21/2013 7:23:31 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

Nothing wrong with that.

Does that make it wrong?

According to their counterarguments, it's about as wrong as eating pizza, french fries, hamburgers, chips, ice cream, and candy to contract and die of obesity.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2013 7:36:32 PM
At 3/21/2013 7:23:31 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

Nothing wrong with that.

Does that make it wrong?

Depends on what context you mean it to be wrong in. Is it morally wrong, no. Is it wrong biologically, yes.

muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2013 7:37:23 PM
At 3/21/2013 7:11:02 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Nothing wrong with that.

Cannibalism has also been implicated as a transmission mechanism for abnormal prions, causing the disease known as kuru, once found primarily among women and children of the Fore people in Papua New Guinea. While the men of the tribe ate the body of the deceased and rarely contracted the disease, the women and children, who ate the less desirable body parts, including the brain, were 8 times more likely than men to contract kuru from infected tissue.

Yes.

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2013 10:18:01 PM
You know, I don't care if horsemeat is safe. The real issue is that the companies were lying to consumers about what they were selling and were able to get away with it.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2013 10:43:36 PM
At 3/21/2013 10:18:01 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
You know, I don't care if horsemeat is safe. The real issue is that the companies were lying to consumers about what they were selling and were able to get away with it.

What are you referring to? As far as I can tell this thread isn't about a company passing off horse for beef or something. It's asking just about the morality of horse meat.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2013 12:29:07 AM
I don't have a problem with eating horse. I have a problem with eating horse with the expectation that I was supposed to get beef, lamb, human and so on.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2013 2:27:32 AM
Have no problem with that, I think I will even take dog if it is safe and well cook.

Never actually tried though but do look forward to it if I be in Europe.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2013 2:41:03 AM
At 3/21/2013 5:09:54 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
People fear the horsemeat. Why? Is horsemeat more intelligent: therefore akin to cannibalism? Perhaps horsemeat empathizes with the human spirit?

We have the baconator.

I don't fear the horsemeat anymore than any other new food. I am quite the picky eater...

My only beef with the horse is when pig-ish fatcats pass it off as an assumed meat to save a buck or two. For example, ordering a hamburger when if is not beef, as it is assumed a hamburger would be beef unless designated otherwise (such as buffalo, turkey, or veggie).
My work here is, finally, done.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2013 7:11:15 AM
At 3/21/2013 10:43:36 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 3/21/2013 10:18:01 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

What are you referring to? As far as I can tell this thread isn't about a company passing off horse for beef or something. It's asking just about the morality of horse meat.

Also about the legality.. (Congress not allowing USDA meat inspections of horse slaughter houses.)
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2013 8:17:41 AM

We have the baconator.

Funny that you mention the Baconater, because porcine is pretty similar to Soylent Green.

You heard "lipstick on a pig"? That's not just a poor attempt to hide something "ugly'. It's for real (because of the similarity of their skin to ours...animal testing in cosmetics almost always ends at pig).

People don't wanna eat horses in this country for the same reason they don't wanna eat dogs - they're considered pets and people don't like the idea of eating Lassie after he pulls little Timmy out of the well.
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2013 12:21:23 PM

We have the baconator.

Culture determines what is food. The abused and consumed corpses of one culture are the loving companions of another. In not recognizing this, you let your culture determine your morality.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2013 9:28:55 PM
Consumption of horses, whales, and porpoises is a cultural issue. The French are fond of horse meat. China and Japan consume porpoise, referred to as "sea pig." Jews and Muslims abjure pork, Hindus and many Buddhists don't each beef. Jains are strictly vegetarian. I don't see anything in any of it other than cultural tradition.

People who live on farms are used to slaughtering and eating the animals they raise. It's natural to not want to kill your animals, but when food is short, the aversion is universally overcome.

Dogs are mainly consumed as a type of folk medicine. Cannibalism is also mainly practiced not for food, but in the belief that the strength of the enemy will be obtained.

Here is an interesting article on the taste of dog meat: http://blogs.villagevoice.com... It's consumed in Vietnam for good luck. The author describes the taste as extremely gamey and unpleasant. At least it doesn't taste like chicken.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 12:53:24 AM
I've never tasted horsemeat, but wouldn't be averse to the idea. I also don't understand why it's taboo to eat horses in the US, but not taboo to eat cows, pigs or sheep. That said, I've had more than my fair share of meals where beef, pork or lamb was the main course -and they were delicious. If horsemeat tastes good, I'd be happy to eat it.
Tsar of DDO
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 3:14:58 PM
I think horse owners had a real beef with the government by refusing meat inspectors for horsemeat when they clearly had hungry buyers for their aged horses. Instead, they were denied the income by the government.