Jump to topic:

Napoleonic Character

suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2013 4:55:40 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
This my second post on this topic, the first one is on a wrong section (I intended to post it here on "society" but end up place it on "science" instead)

Anyway here is the massage

"Not character of Napoleon, of course. I am not a westerner myself so sometime I am not understand what does it mean when somebody refers someone of having "Napoleonic air". My understanding is that the person is quite strict, conservative, and have a very strong sense of hierarchy like how Napoleon or Duke of Wellington would never speak of people of lower status (i.e. servant) but prefer to write down order when they have a need to communicate.

Is that right? can somebody provide any further detail on how this suppose to mean?"
errya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2013 2:48:26 AM
At 3/22/2013 4:55:40 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:
This my second post on this topic, the first one is on a wrong section (I intended to post it here on "society" but end up place it on "science" instead)

"Not character of Napoleon, of course. I am not a westerner myself so sometime I am not understand what does it mean when somebody refers someone of having "Napoleonic air". My understanding is that the person is quite strict, conservative, and have a very strong sense of hierarchy like how Napoleon or Duke of Wellington would never speak of people of lower status (i.e. servant) but prefer to write down order when they have a need to communicate.

Is that right? can somebody provide any further detail on how this suppose to mean?"

I don't know what it means, but it isn't what you said. Napoleon was a conqueror, but he was also a liberal of the French Revolution. He made the lives of the poor in the countries he conquered much better.
The Most Noble Lord Horatio Nelson, Viscount and Baron Nelson, of the Nile and of Burnham Thorpe in the County of Norfolk, Baron Nelson of the Nile and of Hilborough in the said County, Knight of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath, Vice Admiral of the White Squadron of the Fleet, Commander in Chief of his Majesty's Ships and Vessels in the Mediterranean, Duke of Bront" in the Kingdom of Sicily, Knight Grand Cross of the Sicilian Order of St Ferdinand and of Merit, Member of the Ottoman Ord...
Cinco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2013 10:28:23 AM

It usually refers to the psychology of a man who perceives himself to be physically short in stature and uses some form of aggression (passive or otherwise) to..."avenge" himself for a perceived mistreatment, by society or some sector of society - women, men, employers or whatever. Also referred to as a "Napoleon complex".
If your time, to you,
Is worth savin',
Then you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone.
For the times they are a-changin'. - Bob Dylan
Cinco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2013 10:31:33 AM
At 3/24/2013 10:28:23 AM, Cinco wrote:

It usually refers to the psychology of a man who perceives himself to be physically short in stature and uses some form of aggression (passive or otherwise) to..."avenge" himself for a perceived mistreatment, by society or some sector of society - women, men, employers or whatever. Also referred to as a "Napoleon complex".

The perceived mistreatment being perceived, by him, as being "caused" by his stature. i.e. he believes he is mistreated because he is short.
If your time, to you,
Is worth savin',
Cinco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2013 10:34:32 AM
At 3/24/2013 10:31:33 AM, Cinco wrote:
At 3/24/2013 10:28:23 AM, Cinco wrote:

The perceived mistreatment being perceived, by him, as being "caused" by his stature. i.e. he believes he is mistreated because he is short.

That's just bad writing but since English is your second language, I wanted to make it as clear as possible, in one go. LOL!
If your time, to you,
Is worth savin',
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2013 11:45:50 AM
lol you want to drive me to those complex or something?

Anyway I think it has to do more with linguistic than psychology in this sense. The chef has been described as having "Napoleonic Air" is not at all short (but fat), and have a tough look.
Cinco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2013 5:49:38 PM
At 3/24/2013 11:45:50 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:
lol you want to drive me to those complex or something?

Anyway I think it has to do more with linguistic than psychology in this sense. The chef has been described as having "Napoleonic Air" is not at all short (but fat), and have a tough look.

I am not aware of any other specifically defined use for the word when used to describe a person. Which is not to say that it isn't used, otherwise. It is often used in writings - whether because it "sounds good" or with the presumption that the reader would know the writer's opinion of Napoleon which could be anything from "God-like" to "psychotic", I have no idea.

To my knowledge, "Napoleonic" has no literal meaning other than "like Napoleon" or "as in the era of Napoleon", with the exception of psychology's ideas about the man. (Where the definition is, in my opinion, inaccurate since Napoleon was neither excessively short or petty.)
If your time, to you,
Is worth savin',