Jump to topic:

People who play music

Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2009 5:33:06 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
We've all seen them; that is, we've all heard them. The people that drive by, blaring their music or their bass at a level loud enough, and therefore obnoxious enough, to distract us from driving, or to overshadow the music we ourselves had been listening to. I'm curious as to your opinions on this.

On the one hand, the logic of 'do what you want as long as no one else is harmed' applies here - playing music doesn't technically harm anyone, and so, even at the louder volumes, people should still have the right to blare their music as loud as they'd like; so, it's an annoyance, but we (sadly) don't have anti-jackass laws.

On the other hand, blaring music at obnoxiously high volumes can create a distraction for other drivers, jeopardizing the safety of all drivers on the road or highway in question; furthermore, there is a harm in the sense that, because person A's music is too loud, persons X, Y, and Z can no longer enjoy their music as a result.

I could go a bit more in-depth on those two sides, but I'm sure that I'll hear more interpretations, and more explanation on those positions anyway. Just curious as to what you guys think. :D
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2009 6:15:53 AM
Even if I myself do not listen to music, I don't bother when other people listen to it [as long as it does not disturb me], but I think it is very immoral when people play loud music in their cars, especially if it's rap, so that all those filthy words can be heard. I also agree that listening to loud music when driving may be dangerous, as one does not really stay focused on driving, but on the music.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2009 6:53:24 AM
They're just being jerks, and there's little anyone can do about it. However, although we don't actually have "anti-jackass" laws we do probably have a lot of anti-jackass police, of whom whom many would see that as good reason to pull them over. (and maybe they're breaking decibal limits, though I very much doubt it)

I'm not saying I'm for breaking people's constitutional rights, but if they're really being jerks, I think I too would have difficulty not abusing power for this kind of thing, especially when it's done on a routine basis anyhow.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2009 7:12:48 AM
I'm not sure that the concept of noise pollution while in a moving vehicle applies. This occurrence always seems to happen at a red light though lol. What I usually do in that situation is turn my volume up even LOUDER than the annoying individual. You might think that doesn't solve anything because then there's just 2 cars with loud music; however, you'd be surprised at how quickly the individual realizes that he's being a tool and turns it down. It might cause a few seconds of unpleasantness, but in the end the other drivers are usually smiling at me for handling it. The initial driver realizes that other people don't wanna hear his crappy music, and/or sees how annoying it is to hear other people's music when you don't wanna. Ergo, victory. I'm a hero, baby.
President of DDO
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2009 8:58:54 AM
It's always worthless music, r n b, 'gangsta' rap, painfully rubbish gibberish from the twilight of civilisation.

It's never something beautiful, like rage against the machine or wagner.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2009 9:12:27 AM
RATM is a bit over-rated. Still, I agree that it's silly for people to brag about the size or sound of their system while playing garbage music. Cultural implications aside, those systems tend to have great bass, so it'd be interesting if people used jazz music or even techno instead to really play up the focal points of the system lol. Imagine someone driving by in their Hummer with a massive sound system playing Miles Davis :P
President of DDO
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2009 4:33:53 PM
At 11/13/2009 5:33:06 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
so, it's an annoyance, but we (sadly) don't have anti-jackass laws.
I disagree. I don't like it either, but it's a damn good thing jackasses aren't outlawed.

Wjm is correct. Privatization is the solution!

and theLwerd is win. :D
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
MikeLoviN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2009 4:55:51 PM
At 11/13/2009 9:12:27 AM, theLwerd wrote:
RATM is a bit over-rated. Still, I agree that it's silly for people to brag about the size or sound of their system while playing garbage music. Cultural implications aside, those systems tend to have great bass, so it'd be interesting if people used jazz music or even techno instead to really play up the focal points of the system lol. Imagine someone driving by in their Hummer with a massive sound system playing Miles Davis :P

Blasphemy! RATM is awesome XD.

Also, I see this kind of thing done with techno all the time. It's always the 'Italion stallions' with their popped collars and not-quite-sideways, not-quite-backwards baseball caps driving their souped-up honda civics with raised spoilers and mufflers that make it sound like the engine is about to sh*t itself. It makes me laugh every time.

As for jazz, I must admit I've actually seen my brother roll down the windows and crank it on several occasions... I was the one in the driver-side passenger seat with my head down so people couldn't see my face :P Nothing against jazz, its just not something that should be played at those volumes. Even if it is Miles Davis.
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2009 10:35:02 AM
Nowadays in English cities, the stuff you're most likely to hear blasting out of a car is bassline garage stuff like this.

Pretty bloody awful in my opinion but this is also what a lot of the kids I work with are into.
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2009 10:51:50 AM
At 11/13/2009 8:58:54 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
It's always worthless music, r n b, 'gangsta' rap, painfully rubbish gibberish from the twilight of civilisation.

It's never something beautiful, like rage against the machine or wagner.

LOL.