Jump to topic:

What's your greatest fear for Mankind.

hilton16
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 8:45:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Mankind has grown strong and it grow strong as we further in the future. From WW1 and WW2, to some of the greatest crimes committed in human history, it comes to mind of our greatest fear for mankind.

I can only say my greatest fear for mankind is "nuclear war." and i know some people will laugh at me but go ahead.

Greatest fear...

1) Nuclear War
2) World Food Insecurity due to high rise in population growth. (more starving people)
3) Lack of water.
"A liberal is a man or a woman or a child who looks forward to a better day, a more tranquil night, and a bright, infinite future."
Leonard Bernstein
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 8:51:20 PM
The problems you mention can be hindered by advanced technology. Population growth does not necessarily mean less food. People are well-fed today in comparison to the earlier centuries, and the population is greater than ever before. We can genetically enhance animals and plants to provide more nutrition.

I am concerned with the rapid spread of Western cultural habits, which includes worship of fornication, intoxicants, and many such miseries. I'll leave those for individuals to judge.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 9:17:50 PM
Yeah lack of food... probably never going to happen.

My biggest fear probably would be a new pandemic that wipes out a good chunk of population worldwide.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 10:14:56 PM
Multiple drug-resistant tuberculosis.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 10:21:47 PM
At 4/1/2013 10:20:04 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 4/1/2013 10:14:56 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org...
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 10:31:48 PM
At 4/1/2013 10:21:47 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 4/1/2013 10:20:04 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 4/1/2013 10:14:56 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org...

We'll be fine... *cough*
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 10:38:04 PM
The things you listed are examples of things that could destroy many humans. My greatest fear is that we start creating humans, that is to say, genetically engineering them as tools for the state. Complete with pre-selected genes for obedience and a lack of empathy for state enemies.

The way I see it, we're going to die out one way or another. It's inevitable, so that's not the real tragedy. The real tragedy is if we lose our freedom on a biological level. Then it might as well be game-over anyway.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 10:49:53 PM
1) Massive asteroid impact
2) Stupid people
3) Music getting sh*ttier and sh*ttier over time
4) Religion-related wars causing widespread destabalization
5) Thousands of TV channels with nothing good on to watch
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 10:05:17 AM
Climate Change
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 10:15:38 AM
At 4/1/2013 8:51:20 PM, Mirza wrote:
The problems you mention can be hindered by advanced technology. Population growth does not necessarily mean less food.

It means a greater demand for food, which is not good.

People are well-fed today in comparison to the earlier centuries, and the population is greater than ever before.

There are still many poor countries, and just because we're well-fed in rich countries doesn't mean we don't have a whole bunch of newer, more dire problems.

We can genetically enhance animals and plants to provide more nutrition.

That's a great idea to cause even more unforeseen dietary issues, particularly in how exactly we digest said modified foods. Allergies, diabetes, gluten-free, lactose-intolerant, etc. - we create new diseases as we continue to play "God" with our foods. Many see these issues and run back to technology to save us from them... how perfectly ignorant.

I am concerned with the rapid spread of Western cultural habits, which includes worship of fornication, intoxicants, and many such miseries. I'll leave those for individuals to judge.

I would argue these things are derivatives themselves of other issues - suffice to say, Americans feel they are better than other peoples and we feel free to push our borders outward to get what we want, creating wealth in other areas but ultimately doing much more damage than good. The way our foreign nationals handle other governments, they might as well be part of the franchise.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 10:40:15 AM
At 4/2/2013 10:05:17 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
Climate Change

Which is inevitable, regardless of what we do.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
hilton16
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 11:54:18 AM
At 4/1/2013 10:11:53 PM, Maikuru wrote:
Gay marriage.

LMAO, gay marriage. you got me busting out laughing.
"A liberal is a man or a woman or a child who looks forward to a better day, a more tranquil night, and a bright, infinite future."
Leonard Bernstein
hilton16
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 11:56:39 AM
The problems you mention can be hindered by advanced technology. Population growth does not necessarily mean less food. People are well-fed today in comparison to the earlier centuries, and the population is greater than ever before. We can genetically enhance animals and plants to provide more nutrition.

We'll it might be true that advanced technology can help, if you look around the world today alot of people are die of not having food. And our world population stands at a staggering 7 billions right now and with the problem we having even with cloning before are still dying of not having food. so imagine in the near future the population is even higher. but I'm not saying advanced technology wouldn't do us good. it will certainly do.
Leonard Bernstein
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 11:58:20 AM
At 4/1/2013 10:38:04 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
The things you listed are examples of things that could destroy many humans. My greatest fear is that we start creating humans, that is to say, genetically engineering them as tools for the state. Complete with pre-selected genes for obedience and a lack of empathy for state enemies.

The way I see it, we're going to die out one way or another. It's inevitable, so that's not the real tragedy. The real tragedy is if we lose our freedom on a biological level. Then it might as well be game-over anyway.

Ok the creation humans thing also scares me, but personally I think that aliens are going to screw us over.
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
hilton16
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 11:58:43 AM
At 4/1/2013 10:38:04 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

yeah you right. i fear genetic human cloning, and being use as tools for the state
Leonard Bernstein
hilton16
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 12:02:29 PM
At 4/1/2013 10:23:34 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Losing an online argument.

How is that a "greatest fear for Mankind" its just an argument and its online. its not going to hurt you. unless you are really crazy with debating and don't want to lose.
Leonard Bernstein
hilton16
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 12:05:54 PM
At 4/1/2013 10:49:53 PM, imabench wrote:
1) Massive asteroid impact
2) Stupid people
3) Music getting sh*ttier and sh*ttier over time
4) Religion-related wars causing widespread destabalization
5) Thousands of TV channels with nothing good on to watch

lol music getting sh*ttier and sh*ttier over time. there's not question about that as we keep saying it everyday.

Religion is a big issue. you right, it could lead to wars causing widespread destabilization.

Haha, i certainly fear that.
Leonard Bernstein
hilton16
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 12:07:35 PM
At 4/2/2013 1:45:07 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
My greatest fear is world peace followed by mass extinction.

Why is "world peace" your greatest fear? Isn't it a good thing? just asking.
Leonard Bernstein
hilton16
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 12:09:25 PM
At 4/2/2013 10:05:17 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
Climate Change

I'm strongly agree with you on Climate Change.
Leonard Bernstein
hilton16
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 12:12:03 PM
At 4/2/2013 10:15:38 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
The problems you mention can be hindered by advanced technology. Population growth does not necessarily mean less food.

It means a greater demand for food, which is not good.

People are well-fed today in comparison to the earlier centuries, and the population is greater than ever before.

There are still many poor countries, and just because we're well-fed in rich countries doesn't mean we don't have a whole bunch of newer, more dire problems.

We can genetically enhance animals and plants to provide more nutrition.

That's a great idea to cause even more unforeseen dietary issues, particularly in how exactly we digest said modified foods. Allergies, diabetes, gluten-free, lactose-intolerant, etc. - we create new diseases as we continue to play "God" with our foods. Many see these issues and run back to technology to save us from them... how perfectly ignorant.

I would argue these things are derivatives themselves of other issues - suffice to say, Americans feel they are better than other peoples and we feel free to push our borders outward to get what we want, creating wealth in other areas but ultimately doing much more damage than good. The way our foreign nationals handle other governments, they might as well be part of the franchise.

you putted out exactly what i wanted to say. I couldn't have done it better.
Leonard Bernstein
LibertarianWithAVoice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 12:16:33 PM
My biggest fear.
-Expended resources. Not any time soon but somewhere in the future we will run out of vital resources. There have been many moves about what would happen if we run out of, but I don't mean that type. I believe we could get past not having oil. The problem I think we would encounter is a shortage of building resources. With the current expansionism and growth of cities, it is not out of the question for a shortage raw building materials ( Iron, Copper, Wood, etc. ) to occur in he next 1000-2000 years. I know people are going to set me straight on how this could never happen, but it's my fear.