Jump to topic:

Death penalty & mentally-handicapped debate

Annacaitlin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 9:05:38 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Should people who are mentally-handicapped receive the death penalty if convicted?
Please back up your opinion with stats, polls, court cases of some sort! ( if possible!)
Please & thank you!
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 9:12:37 PM
In my opinion, everyone is mentally handicapped. Every mistake we make is due to some mental issue we possess. No punishment is fair. Although that's irrelevant to the science of how effective it is.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 9:19:54 PM
No. Mostly because I don't believe in the death penalty. It's more expensive than life imprisonment and it's still possible to make mistakes.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 9:52:19 PM
At 4/2/2013 9:19:54 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
No. Mostly because I don't believe in the death penalty. It's more expensive than life imprisonment and it's still possible to make mistakes.

I've never understood this.
Do you have any idea why it costs so much to kill someone, as opposed to house, clothe, feed, and guard them?
My work here is, finally, done.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 9:55:22 PM
At 4/2/2013 9:05:38 PM, Annacaitlin wrote:
Should people who are mentally-handicapped receive the death penalty if convicted?
Please back up your opinion with stats, polls, court cases of some sort! ( if possible!)
Please & thank you!

If they are a danger to themselves and others, they should be put down IMO. However, this is irrelevant to any conviction.

Mentally-handicapped individuals lack culpability (much like children and drunks), therefore they should not be facing the death penalty as a sentence for any crime that was committed.
My work here is, finally, done.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 9:56:22 PM
At 4/2/2013 9:52:19 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Do you have any idea why it costs so much to kill someone, as opposed to house, clothe, feed, and guard them?

Lawyers, judges, general due process spanned out over ten or more years, and all this while the prisoner is also being housed, clothed, fed, and guarded.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 10:16:55 PM
At 4/2/2013 9:56:22 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 4/2/2013 9:52:19 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Lawyers, judges, general due process spanned out over ten or more years, and all this while the prisoner is also being housed, clothed, fed, and guarded.

^^^ Yep, pretty much nailed it.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 11:00:11 PM
I certainly dont want the victims heirs have to cover the costs of having to pay for them to live. Hang them, along with nearly all murderers
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 11:09:31 PM
At 4/2/2013 11:00:11 PM, thett3 wrote:
I certainly dont want the victims heirs have to cover the costs of having to pay for them to live. Hang them, along with nearly all murderers

No, but really under the current system probably not. Costs too much, and I dont really think the mentally retarded can be held morally culpable for their actions so why evoke a punishment (one I view as just) onto one who isnt morally culpable for their crime when the punishment costs far more than the alternative? In a just world these people would become the slaves of the heirs of their victims, as would all murderers, but our system is far from just
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right