Jump to topic:

Most influential person in the world.W

muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2013 1:53:01 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Who do you believe is the most influential person in the world, and why?

Personally, I believe it's Alan Turing. A brilliant british mathematician, and the father of modern computing. He started out breaking codes during WW2. And eventually, he created the Turing machine, a theoretical device used to show the limits of mechanical computations.

After the war, due to various events, it was discovered he was involved in homosexual activities, which at the time were illegal. He was brought to court, found guilty, and given two choices; he could either go to prison, or undergo a treated to reduce his libido.

Later in life, it is believed that he committed suicide through an apple poisoned with cyanide. He was found in his bed, beside him was an apple with one bite taken out of it. Some people believe this is the reason for Apples logo.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2013 1:57:16 AM
At 4/5/2013 1:53:01 AM, muzebreak wrote:
Who do you believe is the most influential person in the world, and why?

Personally, I believe it's Alan Turing. A brilliant british mathematician, and the father of modern computing. He started out breaking codes during WW2. And eventually, he created the Turing machine, a theoretical device used to show the limits of mechanical computations.

After the war, due to various events, it was discovered he was involved in homosexual activities, which at the time were illegal. He was brought to court, found guilty, and given two choices; he could either go to prison, or undergo a treated to reduce his libido.

Later in life, it is believed that he committed suicide through an apple poisoned with cyanide. He was found in his bed, beside him was an apple with one bite taken out of it. Some people believe this is the reason for Apples logo.

Bill Clinton or J. Robert Oppenheimer, if influence is measured as impact.
Tsar of DDO
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2013 5:44:06 AM
Weird. I saw the topic title and thought Alan Turing immediately, although that seems like an answer few people would give.

Upon reflection my other answer would be Aristotle. He essentially invented philosophy, and by extension the natural sciences.

Other contenders are John Locke for challenging the right of kings and influencing the founding fathers, Newton for founding modern physics, Hitler for being the key figure in WWII, Darwin for discovering the keystone of modern biology and challenging religious dogma. Jesus, Mohammed and Buddha obviously.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2013 1:15:00 PM
At 4/5/2013 5:44:06 AM, Kinesis wrote:
Weird. I saw the topic title and thought Alan Turing immediately, although that seems like an answer few people would give.

Upon reflection my other answer would be Aristotle. He essentially invented philosophy, and by extension the natural sciences.

Other contenders are John Locke for challenging the right of kings and influencing the founding fathers, Newton for founding modern physics, Hitler for being the key figure in WWII, Darwin for discovering the keystone of modern biology and challenging religious dogma. Jesus, Mohammed and Buddha obviously.

I thought of Newton, but I use a computer more then calculus. And I don't know why, but Aristotle didn't even come to mind.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2013 1:46:36 AM
Albert Einstein was Person of the century:
http://www.time.com...

Forbes powerful people list: http://www.forbes.com...
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...