Jump to topic:

Flat Earth?

cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2013 4:01:57 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
should have done this here. I believe the earth is spherical and I know that others on here believe it is flat. okay why is it flat
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2013 4:29:18 PM
At 4/9/2013 4:01:57 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
should have done this here. I believe the earth is spherical and I know that others on here believe it is flat. okay why is it flat

I am not personaly advocating the earth is flat. But perception is everything.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2013 6:52:06 AM
At 4/9/2013 11:56:09 PM, APB wrote:
Who believes the Earth is flat? Tell me so I can knock some sense into them.

Go to rational thinkers page and check out some of his debates he's been debating it with people i think one was zezima
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2013 9:42:00 AM
A flat earth would pretty much throw all of science out the window right? Gravity, astrophysics, basically everything.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
APB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2013 3:22:18 PM
At 4/10/2013 9:42:00 AM, lewis20 wrote:
A flat earth would pretty much throw all of science out the window right? Gravity, astrophysics, basically everything.

Not to mention meteorology, geology, ecology, palaeontology...

Hell, a flat Earth would call Evolution into question, as our understanding of life on Earth is based on the assumption the world is a sphere.

... archaeology, geography and even photography, as those pictures of the Earth must be wrong.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2013 3:26:50 PM
I see flat earth as no more ridiculous than YEC (which, incidentally, was originally understood to involve a flat earth).
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2013 11:31:43 AM
At 4/10/2013 3:26:50 PM, Wnope wrote:
I see flat earth as no more ridiculous than YEC (which, incidentally, was originally understood to involve a flat earth).

Everything was originally understood to involve a flat earth. Flat earth is definitely more ridiculous than young earth because I can go outside and do the measurements myself which prove the earth is round. I can't carbon date fossils on my own.

Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2013 2:14:17 PM
At 4/11/2013 11:31:43 AM, lewis20 wrote:

Everything was originally understood to involve a flat earth. Flat earth is definitely more ridiculous than young earth because I can go outside and do the measurements myself which prove the earth is round. I can't carbon date fossils on my own.

Maybe you need to go further than your front yard, but fancy equipment isn't needed.

Look in the night sky. Either you are looking at a massive illusion, or you are witnessing light that has been traveling for millions of years and hits earth.

Go find the right tree, count tree rings, and you'll predate Noah's flood by thousands of years.

There are coral reefs over 1,300 meters thick, which even at the most fanatically unreal fast rates of growth would still take over 100,000 years. Sit and watch if you don't believe it.

Go count impact craters from asteroids/meteors/comets. At least 200 have been identified, each releasing energy greater than many nuclear warheads. Under YEC, that's an impact rate of 1 multi-nuclear-bomb-sized energy release every 30-50 years. Yet this has never been recorded in all of human history.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2013 3:09:07 PM
The earth is most certainly flat
Bigfoot exists
the sun revolves around the earth
the world is secretly run by alien reptiles and we are all their slave/subjects
dinosaurs are still alive

These are all as true as the sky being blue
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2013 3:22:31 PM
At 4/11/2013 2:14:17 PM, Wnope wrote:

Maybe you need to go further than your front yard, but fancy equipment isn't needed.

Look in the night sky. Either you are looking at a massive illusion, or you are witnessing light that has been traveling for millions of years and hits earth.

Go find the right tree, count tree rings, and you'll predate Noah's flood by thousands of years.

There are coral reefs over 1,300 meters thick, which even at the most fanatically unreal fast rates of growth would still take over 100,000 years. Sit and watch if you don't believe it.

Go count impact craters from asteroids/meteors/comets. At least 200 have been identified, each releasing energy greater than many nuclear warheads. Under YEC, that's an impact rate of 1 multi-nuclear-bomb-sized energy release every 30-50 years. Yet this has never been recorded in all of human history.

Oh brilliant stuff here, you've completely brought a young earth enthusiast into the 21sth century. Thank you for opening my eyes, I had no idea any of this was out there.

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2013 3:23:22 PM
At 4/11/2013 3:09:07 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
Bigfoot exists

Woah, don't lump bigfoot in with these myths...He's out there somewhere.

cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2013 3:32:27 PM
Bigfoot exists

I see since the true color of the sky isn't blue
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2013 3:34:33 PM
At 4/10/2013 6:52:06 AM, cybertron1998 wrote:
At 4/9/2013 11:56:09 PM, APB wrote:
Who believes the Earth is flat? Tell me so I can knock some sense into them.

Go to rational thinkers page and check out some of his debates he's been debating it with people i think one was zezima

He could have just been trolling.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2013 3:36:18 PM
At 4/11/2013 3:32:27 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
Bigfoot exists

No? What color is it?

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2013 3:40:20 PM
At 4/11/2013 3:36:18 PM, lewis20 wrote:
Bigfoot exists

No? What color is it?

In Kansas it's gray.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2013 3:43:01 PM
At 4/11/2013 3:40:20 PM, lannan13 wrote:
Bigfoot exists

No? What color is it?

In Kansas it's gray.

Ha same in Indiana.

muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2013 3:44:42 PM
Bigfoot exists

No? What color is it?

Technically speaking, it has no color. It simply reflects light in the blue spectrum.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2013 3:51:01 PM
At 4/11/2013 3:44:42 PM, muzebreak wrote:
Bigfoot exists

No? What color is it?

Technically speaking, it has no color. It simply reflects light in the blue spectrum.

"It's a trap!!"
Being that color is "is the visual perceptual property corresponding in humans" it does have a color and that color is usually blue.
If you took your line of reasoning, color doesn't exist because everything we see is simply a reflection of light.

Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2013 5:22:43 PM
At 4/11/2013 3:22:31 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Oh brilliant stuff here, you've completely brought a young earth enthusiast into the 21sth century. Thank you for opening my eyes, I had no idea any of this was out there.

You do realize your sarcasm just proves my point? I presented what appears to almost trivial and well accepted phenomena. Yet the YECs claim all this represents some vast conspiracy of scientists, the same kind of conspiracy the flat earthers put forward.

You can go outside and with a set of tools determine the earth is spherical (unless you can do it with just your hands and feet). If you go to other places, you can use your eyeballs, time, and arithmetic to confirm an earth existing for more than 10,000 years.

Claiming satellites don't exist/are an illusion is considerably less controversial than claiming all the light we see in the sky originated at most 10,000 lightyears away/is an illusion. All astronomical observations for the past three centuries or so would be totally off.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2013 5:33:54 PM
At 4/11/2013 3:51:01 PM, lewis20 wrote:
Bigfoot exists

No? What color is it?

"It's a trap!!"
Being that color is "is the visual perceptual property corresponding in humans" it does have a color and that color is usually blue.
If you took your line of reasoning, color doesn't exist because everything we see is simply a reflection of light.

all color is simply a reflection of light
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2013 5:52:04 PM
At 4/11/2013 3:51:01 PM, lewis20 wrote:
Bigfoot exists

No? What color is it?

"It's a trap!!"

There are different types of color. The big one is absorbance, which is caused by the molecular makeup of a substance, and is what we typically think of when we think of color. Then there is structural color, which includes things like a peacock's feather. The light is trapped in a certain way by the microscopic structure, producing a shifting color effect known as iridescence. But if you grind the feathers up, you will find that they are actually physically brown.

The sky is tricky, and I'll illustrate it in several ways. The first is by asking: what color is a mirror? Clearly it is always colored, but that depends on what is standing in front of it. It simply reflects. Now what color is a prism? That depends on which way you are looking at it. If you ever walk outside on an early summer morning, you will notice that the dew seems to shift colors as you move past it. This is because the light rays split as they enter the droplets, in the same way which it does a prism, and your eye is moving through the various colors. A rainbow works in the same way, but the water drops are moving far in the distance while you stand still. The prism's color changes depending on the position of the observer. And the sky works on the same principle as well. It's filled with what can be thought of as many tiny prisms, and prisms bend high-frequency light the sharpest. This is known as scattering, and what ends up happening is that violet, blue, and green light, the highest frequencies, bounce all around and come at us from every direction, and we see the sky as blue (we aren't quite as good at picking up on violet light). Meanwhile, the sun looks yellowish, because those beams don't bounce as far and come at us from the same direct as the sun's light. This is also why the sky looks red in the sunset and sunrise: as the sun goes down, it shines through a thicker and thicker slice of atmosphere, and the blueish colors bounce around so much that they never make it to your eyes, and only the light which bends the least, the reddish hues, makes it through. The reverse happens at sunrise.

So the sky has no color, the color that we see is just an illusion based entirely on your point of observation, just like a prism, a bit of dew on a blade of grass, or a rainbow. It's the light which it produces which is colored, not the object itself. There is no pigment involved.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2013 5:55:01 PM
Bigfoot exists

No? What color is it?

The sky is colorless the blue you see is refraction and reflection off of water vappor in the air. The same reason a pool looks blue but the bottom is actually white.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2013 5:55:55 PM
How do flat-earthers explain the fact that the last part of a ship to be seen as it sails into the distance is the very top of it?
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2013 6:01:42 PM
At 4/11/2013 5:22:43 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 4/11/2013 3:22:31 PM, lewis20 wrote:

You do realize your sarcasm just proves my point?

I think you're a tad confused here, I'm not a young earth creationist, I was making fun your apparent need to vehemently defend standard scientific reasoning to someone not claiming anything to the contrary.

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2013 6:03:35 PM
At 4/11/2013 5:52:04 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
So the sky has no color, the color that we see is just an illusion based entirely on your point of observation, just like a prism, a bit of dew on a blade of grass, or a rainbow. It's the light which it produces which is colored, not the object itself. There is no pigment involved.

Right, color is how your eyes perceive it, the sky is blue. How your eyes come to perceive it is a whole different story. But long story short, the sky is blue.

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2013 6:06:13 PM
At 4/11/2013 5:55:01 PM, sadolite wrote:
Bigfoot exists

No? What color is it?

The sky is colorless the blue you see is refraction and reflection off of water vappor in the air. The same reason a pool looks blue but the bottom is actually white.

Thanks for the science lesson, color though is what your eyes perceive it to be. Therefore the sky is blue, the fact that it's the visible light spectrum split up and the blue getting through to you is really irrelevant. My black computer mouse isn't colorless because it absorbed all the visible light is it?