Total Posts:56|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Is Internet Destroying Society *

inferno
Posts: 10,628
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 11:17:22 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
It has been known to create a storm of controversy, and confusion. But what about the propaganda and the hype behind the mainstream media. Is the Government now beginning to legislate what we see on the net as well.
What do you think about this video. Listen to whats being said please. Thank you.
inferno
Posts: 10,628
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 11:30:40 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/18/2013 11:18:14 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
Hmmm.... uses the internet as evidence that the internet is corrupt and cannot be trusted.

The content you idiot. Not the regular usage of the device. =)
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,245
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 11:33:04 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/18/2013 11:30:40 AM, inferno wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:18:14 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
Hmmm.... uses the internet as evidence that the internet is corrupt and cannot be trusted.

The content you idiot. Not the regular usage of the device. =)

You are using the media as evidence that the media cannot be trusted. What makes you think that guy can be trusted?
inferno
Posts: 10,628
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 11:38:16 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/18/2013 11:33:04 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:30:40 AM, inferno wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:18:14 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
Hmmm.... uses the internet as evidence that the internet is corrupt and cannot be trusted.

The content you idiot. Not the regular usage of the device. =)

You are using the media as evidence that the media cannot be trusted. What makes you think that guy can be trusted?

Because what he is saying makes a whole Hell of a lot of sense to me. I have also read his books too in case you are wondering. I do believe it does more good than harm. However, there is some damage being done by places such as Youtube and FaceBook too that cannot be denied.
That involves the dumbing down of our society.
See my America Is Dumb thread in politics.
I have yet to see a rational thinker here at DDO give credence to such powerful evidence. =)
lannan13
Posts: 23,065
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 11:41:20 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
You would have to agree that the internet is being time concuming and is destroying society due to the fact that many people waste too much time on social media.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,245
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 11:42:24 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/18/2013 11:41:20 AM, lannan13 wrote:
You would have to agree that the internet is being time concuming and is destroying society due to the fact that many people waste too much time on social media.

I would say the internet has had a net positive impact on society.
inferno
Posts: 10,628
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 11:52:17 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/18/2013 11:42:24 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:41:20 AM, lannan13 wrote:
You would have to agree that the internet is being time concuming and is destroying society due to the fact that many people waste too much time on social media.

I would say the internet has had a net positive impact on society.
s

Maybe concerning information accessibility.
But the other side is a very dark one my friend.
Even you would have to admit to that.
Just look at how misguided people are about the Government still. Not all, but some.
Many are catching on though. =)
lannan13
Posts: 23,065
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 11:52:37 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/18/2013 11:42:24 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:41:20 AM, lannan13 wrote:
You would have to agree that the internet is being time concuming and is destroying society due to the fact that many people waste too much time on social media.

I would say the internet has had a net positive impact on society.

As a whole it can bring people together , but also it can bring down the world. The US power grid can easily be hacked via internet and shutdown the US.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
inferno
Posts: 10,628
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 11:54:24 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/18/2013 11:52:37 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:42:24 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:41:20 AM, lannan13 wrote:
You would have to agree that the internet is being time concuming and is destroying society due to the fact that many people waste too much time on social media.

I would say the internet has had a net positive impact on society.

As a whole it can bring people together , but also it can bring down the world. The US power grid can easily be hacked via internet and shutdown the US.

Explain my friend.
lannan13
Posts: 23,065
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 11:57:45 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/18/2013 11:54:24 AM, inferno wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:52:37 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:42:24 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:41:20 AM, lannan13 wrote:
You would have to agree that the internet is being time concuming and is destroying society due to the fact that many people waste too much time on social media.

I would say the internet has had a net positive impact on society.

As a whole it can bring people together , but also it can bring down the world. The US power grid can easily be hacked via internet and shutdown the US.

Explain my friend.

The US power grid is barely protected and it's protected by a program called Cyber-Patriot. This program is growing outdated and people are hacking into the US powergrid and other US docs. China has already done so.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
inferno
Posts: 10,628
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 12:00:11 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/18/2013 11:57:45 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:54:24 AM, inferno wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:52:37 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:42:24 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:41:20 AM, lannan13 wrote:
You would have to agree that the internet is being time concuming and is destroying society due to the fact that many people waste too much time on social media.

I would say the internet has had a net positive impact on society.

As a whole it can bring people together , but also it can bring down the world. The US power grid can easily be hacked via internet and shutdown the US.

Explain my friend.

The US power grid is barely protected and it's protected by a program called Cyber-Patriot. This program is growing outdated and people are hacking into the US powergrid and other US docs. China has already done so.

Do you see the effects that the internet or television is having on our conscious minds ? Do you see the increase in apathy ?
Agent_Orange
Posts: 2,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 12:04:22 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/18/2013 11:52:37 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:42:24 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:41:20 AM, lannan13 wrote:
You would have to agree that the internet is being time concuming and is destroying society due to the fact that many people waste too much time on social media.

I would say the internet has had a net positive impact on society.

As a whole it can bring people together , but also it can bring down the world. The US power grid can easily be hacked via internet and shutdown the US.

That's not true in the slightest. Somebody has been watching Live Free or Die Hard.
#BlackLivesMatter
inferno
Posts: 10,628
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 12:13:53 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/18/2013 12:04:22 PM, Agent_Orange wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:52:37 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:42:24 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:41:20 AM, lannan13 wrote:
You would have to agree that the internet is being time concuming and is destroying society due to the fact that many people waste too much time on social media.

I would say the internet has had a net positive impact on society.

As a whole it can bring people together , but also it can bring down the world. The US power grid can easily be hacked via internet and shutdown the US.

That's not true in the slightest. Somebody has been watching Live Free or Die Hard.

He means on a subliminal level. People are a product of their environment. Notice how on edge people are now since the last terrorist attack in the US alone.
And they say its a MiddleEastern thing.
Dont tell me, you believe the Governments lies, dont you. =)
lannan13
Posts: 23,065
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 12:18:56 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/18/2013 12:00:11 PM, inferno wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:57:45 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:54:24 AM, inferno wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:52:37 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:42:24 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:41:20 AM, lannan13 wrote:
You would have to agree that the internet is being time concuming and is destroying society due to the fact that many people waste too much time on social media.

I would say the internet has had a net positive impact on society.

As a whole it can bring people together , but also it can bring down the world. The US power grid can easily be hacked via internet and shutdown the US.

Explain my friend.

The US power grid is barely protected and it's protected by a program called Cyber-Patriot. This program is growing outdated and people are hacking into the US powergrid and other US docs. China has already done so.

Do you see the effects that the internet or television is having on our conscious minds ? Do you see the increase in apathy ?

Indeed, look in the 1950's if you made the movie saw they would lock you up in the nut house for tryin' to show that to the public. Also back then the average person could bring a gun to school and they wouldn't shoot up the school. You know when school shootings started to happen is exactly when the violance began appearing on TV and in video games.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
inferno
Posts: 10,628
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 12:37:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/18/2013 12:18:56 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 4/18/2013 12:00:11 PM, inferno wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:57:45 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:54:24 AM, inferno wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:52:37 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:42:24 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:41:20 AM, lannan13 wrote:
You would have to agree that the internet is being time concuming and is destroying society due to the fact that many people waste too much time on social media.

I would say the internet has had a net positive impact on society.

As a whole it can bring people together , but also it can bring down the world. The US power grid can easily be hacked via internet and shutdown the US.

Explain my friend.

The US power grid is barely protected and it's protected by a program called Cyber-Patriot. This program is growing outdated and people are hacking into the US powergrid and other US docs. China has already done so.

Do you see the effects that the internet or television is having on our conscious minds ? Do you see the increase in apathy ?

Indeed, look in the 1950's if you made the movie saw they would lock you up in the nut house for tryin' to show that to the public. Also back then the average person could bring a gun to school and they wouldn't shoot up the school. You know when school shootings started to happen is exactly when the violance began appearing on TV and in video games.

So you admit, that this form of technology is provocative.
lannan13
Posts: 23,065
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 4:09:53 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/18/2013 12:37:50 PM, inferno wrote:
At 4/18/2013 12:18:56 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 4/18/2013 12:00:11 PM, inferno wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:57:45 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:54:24 AM, inferno wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:52:37 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:42:24 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:41:20 AM, lannan13 wrote:
You would have to agree that the internet is being time concuming and is destroying society due to the fact that many people waste too much time on social media.

I would say the internet has had a net positive impact on society.

As a whole it can bring people together , but also it can bring down the world. The US power grid can easily be hacked via internet and shutdown the US.

Explain my friend.

The US power grid is barely protected and it's protected by a program called Cyber-Patriot. This program is growing outdated and people are hacking into the US powergrid and other US docs. China has already done so.

Do you see the effects that the internet or television is having on our conscious minds ? Do you see the increase in apathy ?

Indeed, look in the 1950's if you made the movie saw they would lock you up in the nut house for tryin' to show that to the public. Also back then the average person could bring a gun to school and they wouldn't shoot up the school. You know when school shootings started to happen is exactly when the violance began appearing on TV and in video games.

So you admit, that this form of technology is provocative.

Yes, yes I do.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
inferno
Posts: 10,628
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 4:15:30 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/18/2013 4:09:53 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 4/18/2013 12:37:50 PM, inferno wrote:
At 4/18/2013 12:18:56 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 4/18/2013 12:00:11 PM, inferno wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:57:45 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:54:24 AM, inferno wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:52:37 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:42:24 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:41:20 AM, lannan13 wrote:
You would have to agree that the internet is being time concuming and is destroying society due to the fact that many people waste too much time on social media.

I would say the internet has had a net positive impact on society.

As a whole it can bring people together , but also it can bring down the world. The US power grid can easily be hacked via internet and shutdown the US.

Explain my friend.

The US power grid is barely protected and it's protected by a program called Cyber-Patriot. This program is growing outdated and people are hacking into the US powergrid and other US docs. China has already done so.

Do you see the effects that the internet or television is having on our conscious minds ? Do you see the increase in apathy ?

Indeed, look in the 1950's if you made the movie saw they would lock you up in the nut house for tryin' to show that to the public. Also back then the average person could bring a gun to school and they wouldn't shoot up the school. You know when school shootings started to happen is exactly when the violance began appearing on TV and in video games.

So you admit, that this form of technology is provocative.

Yes, yes I do.

So because much of what you see on television is actully scripted, therefore our state of mind has been altered to some subliminal degree.
drhead
Posts: 1,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2013 8:57:49 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/18/2013 11:57:45 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:54:24 AM, inferno wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:52:37 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:42:24 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:41:20 AM, lannan13 wrote:
You would have to agree that the internet is being time concuming and is destroying society due to the fact that many people waste too much time on social media.

I would say the internet has had a net positive impact on society.

As a whole it can bring people together , but also it can bring down the world. The US power grid can easily be hacked via internet and shutdown the US.

Explain my friend.

The US power grid is barely protected and it's protected by a program called Cyber-Patriot. This program is growing outdated and people are hacking into the US powergrid and other US docs. China has already done so.

No. The power grid isn't even connected to the Internet. Why? Because it could serve no purpose to do so and it opens up unnecessary risks.

The best form of security is not connecting stuff to the Internet that doesn't need to be there.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
drhead
Posts: 1,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2013 9:15:41 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/18/2013 12:18:56 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 4/18/2013 12:00:11 PM, inferno wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:57:45 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:54:24 AM, inferno wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:52:37 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:42:24 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:41:20 AM, lannan13 wrote:
You would have to agree that the internet is being time concuming and is destroying society due to the fact that many people waste too much time on social media.

I would say the internet has had a net positive impact on society.

As a whole it can bring people together , but also it can bring down the world. The US power grid can easily be hacked via internet and shutdown the US.

Explain my friend.

The US power grid is barely protected and it's protected by a program called Cyber-Patriot. This program is growing outdated and people are hacking into the US powergrid and other US docs. China has already done so.

Do you see the effects that the internet or television is having on our conscious minds ? Do you see the increase in apathy ?

Indeed, look in the 1950's if you made the movie saw they would lock you up in the nut house for tryin' to show that to the public. Also back then the average person could bring a gun to school and they wouldn't shoot up the school. You know when school shootings started to happen is exactly when the violance began appearing on TV and in video games.

No, the amount of school shootings has remained consistent with population growth:
http://en.wikipedia.org...
There are ones going back to 1853. There's one where the shooter was a telegraph operator.
A list of technologies with their release year for reference:

1894: First (documented) movie theater opened in Richmond, Virginia
1910: First Frankenstein film released (first notable violent movie)
1930s: Televisions introduced to America
1972: Pong released (not the first video game, but the first notable one)
1993: Doom released (first notable violent video game)
2007: Call of Duty 4 released (one of the first notable violent games with realistic graphics, since 2007 was a bit of a "graphics renaissance" for the games industry. Is repackaged and resold with a different skin pack every 6 months)
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,733
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2013 8:31:32 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I've been putting forth what this guy's been saying for years. Look at a book compared to a web-page:

Book
- written by a scholar in the field
- academic, peer-reviewed sourcing
- gives a comprehensive and well-organized set of ideas
- doesn't require complex technology to use

Website
- written by anyone
- probably not even sourced
- gives narrow view that is often subject to a larger perspective
- requires complex technology to use

When you read a book, you get the life-work of a master in the field, in a creatively and systematically-arranged format. The stuff we read on the internet is just bits and pieces of random garble.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2013 9:46:26 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I don't think the Internet in and of itself is destroying society, But I do believe it will be the down fall of society when it is destroyed by cyber terrorists. It is already relied on almost exclusively to conduct business by multitudes of business which have no contingency plan should such an occurrence that is guaranteed to happen, happens. The US govt is completely and totally unprepared. Our entire infrastructure is 100% reliant on the Internet. It is unlikely that they could find people to do things manually in sufficient numbers to keep things going before mass hysteria set in and everyone cannibalizes each other.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Agent_Orange
Posts: 2,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2013 10:18:49 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/19/2013 9:46:26 PM, sadolite wrote:
I don't think the Internet in and of itself is destroying society, But I do believe it will be the down fall of society when it is destroyed by cyber terrorists. It is already relied on almost exclusively to conduct business by multitudes of business which have no contingency plan should such an occurrence that is guaranteed to happen, happens. The US govt is completely and totally unprepared. Our entire infrastructure is 100% reliant on the Internet. It is unlikely that they could find people to do things manually in sufficient numbers to keep things going before mass hysteria set in and everyone cannibalizes each other.

NO, it isn't. Holy sh*t you people are stupid.
#BlackLivesMatter
natoast
Posts: 204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 12:01:16 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/18/2013 11:57:45 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:54:24 AM, inferno wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:52:37 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:42:24 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:41:20 AM, lannan13 wrote:
You would have to agree that the internet is being time concuming and is destroying society due to the fact that many people waste too much time on social media.

I would say the internet has had a net positive impact on society.

As a whole it can bring people together , but also it can bring down the world. The US power grid can easily be hacked via internet and shutdown the US.

Explain my friend.

The US power grid is barely protected and it's protected by a program called Cyber-Patriot. This program is growing outdated and people are hacking into the US power grid and other US docs. China has already done so.

I don't even....
are you for real?
thett3
Posts: 14,348
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 6:30:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Absolutely. The Internet and the rise of electronics was pretty much the final nail in the coffin for "traditional" US society. Luckily society never really gets destroyed, it merely evolves so every end is just a new beginning
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 7:10:16 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/18/2013 11:18:14 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
Hmmm.... uses the internet as evidence that the internet is corrupt and cannot be trusted.

This isn't to suggest any perspectives about the thread topic, but you are using a syllogistic argument as evidence that an argument can't be trusted.
inferno
Posts: 10,628
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 1:59:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/21/2013 6:30:50 PM, thett3 wrote:
Absolutely. The Internet and the rise of electronics was pretty much the final nail in the coffin for "traditional" US society. Luckily society never really gets destroyed, it merely evolves so every end is just a new beginning

What do you mean the nail in the coffin ?
Perhaps there is another great invention that has yet to surpass even the net.
What do you think ?
muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 2:59:32 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/18/2013 12:18:56 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 4/18/2013 12:00:11 PM, inferno wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:57:45 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:54:24 AM, inferno wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:52:37 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:42:24 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:41:20 AM, lannan13 wrote:
You would have to agree that the internet is being time concuming and is destroying society due to the fact that many people waste too much time on social media.

I would say the internet has had a net positive impact on society.

As a whole it can bring people together , but also it can bring down the world. The US power grid can easily be hacked via internet and shutdown the US.

Explain my friend.

The US power grid is barely protected and it's protected by a program called Cyber-Patriot. This program is growing outdated and people are hacking into the US powergrid and other US docs. China has already done so.

Do you see the effects that the internet or television is having on our conscious minds ? Do you see the increase in apathy ?

Indeed, look in the 1950's if you made the movie saw they would lock you up in the nut house for tryin' to show that to the public. Also back then the average person could bring a gun to school and they wouldn't shoot up the school.

April 25, 1950: Peru, Nebraska, Dr. William Nicholas, 48, president of Peru State College and Dr. Paul Maxwell, 56, education department head, were shot to death at their desks by Dr. Barney Baker, 54-year-old psychology professor. Baker was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot at his home on campus.
July 22, 1950: New York City, New York, A 16-year-old boy was shot in the wrist and abdomen at the Public School 141 dance during an argument with a former classmate.
March 12, 1951: Union Mills, North Carolina, Professor W. E. Sweatt, superintendent and teacher at the Alexander School, was shot to death by students Billy Ray Powell, 16, and Hugh Justice, 19. The assailants had been reprimanded by Sweatt, and they waited for him as he locked his office door.
June 4, 1951: New York City, New York, Carl Arch, a 50-year-old intruder to a girl's gym class, was shot and killed by a police officer at Manhattan's Central Commercial High School.
November 27, 1951: New York City, New York, David Brooks, a 15-year-old student, was fatally shot as fellow pupils looked on in a grade school.
April 9, 1952: New York City, New York, A 15-year-old boarding school student shot a dean rather than relinquish pin-up pictures of girls in bathing suits.
July 14, 1952: New York City, New York, Bayard Peakes walked into the offices of the American Physical Society (APS) at Columbia University and shot and killed secretary Eileen Fahey with a .22 caliber pistol. Peakes was reportedly upset that the APS had rejected a pamphlet he had written.
September 3, 1952: Lawrenceville, Illinois, After Georgine Lyon, 25, ended her engagement with Charles Petrach, Petrach shot and killed Lyon in a classroom at Lawrenceville High School where she worked as a librarian.
November 20, 1952: New York City, New York, Rear Admiral E. E. Herrmann, 56, superintendent of the Naval Postgraduate School, was found dead in his office with a bullet in his head. A service revolver was found by his side.
October 2, 1953: Chicago, Illinois, Patrick Colletta, 14, was shot to death by Bernice Turner,14, in a classroom of Kelly High School. It was reported that after Turner refused to date Colletta he handed her the gun and dared her to pull the trigger, telling her that the gun was "only a toy." A coroner"s jury later ruled that the shooting was an accident.
October 8, 1953: New York City, New York, Larry Licitra, 17-year-old student at the Machine and Metal Trades High School, was shot and slightly wounded in the right shoulder in the lobby of the school while inspecting a handmade pistol owned by one of several students.
March 31, 1954: Newton, Massachusetts, John Frankenberger, 14, was accidentally shot to death in a classroom at Day Junior High School when a pistol being held by a classmate discharged.
May 15, 1954: Chapel Hill, North Carolina, Putnam Davis Jr. was shot and killed during a fraternity house carnival at the Phi Delta Theta house at the University of North Carolina. William Joyner and Allen Long were shot and wounded during the exchange of gunfire in their fraternity bedroom. The incident took place after an all-night beer party. Mr. Long reported to the police that, while the three were drinking beer at 7 a.m., Davis pulled out a gun and started shooting with a gun he had obtained from the car of a former roommate.
January 11, 1955: Swarthmore, Pennsylvania, After some of his dormmates urinated on his mattress, Bob Bechtel, a 20-year-old student at Swarthmore College, returned to his dorm with a shotgun and used it to shoot and kill fellow student Holmes Strozier.
May 4, 1956: Prince George's County, Maryland, 15-year-old student Billy Prevatte fatally shot one teacher and injured two others at Maryland Park Junior High School after he had been reprimanded from the school.
October 20, 1956: New York City, New York, A Booker T. Washington Junior High School student was wounded in the forearm by another student armed with a home-made weapon.
October 2, 1957: New York City, New York, A 16-year old student was shot in the leg by a 15-year old classmate at a city high school.
March 4, 1958: New York City, New York, A 17-year-old student shot a boy in the Manual Training High School.
May 1, 1958: Massapequa, New York, A 15-year-old high Massapequa High School freshman was shot and killed by a classmate in a washroom.
September 24, 1959: New York City, New York, Twenty-seven men and boys and an arsenal were seized in the Bronx as the police headed off a gang war resulting from the fatal shooting of a teenager at Morris High School.

These are just the ones from the decade you mentioned; the 1950s.

You know when school shootings started to happen is exactly when the violance began appearing on TV and in video games.

The first school shooting happened in 1760.........
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 3:01:10 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/21/2013 6:30:50 PM, thett3 wrote:
Absolutely. The Internet and the rise of electronics was pretty much the final nail in the coffin for "traditional" US society. Luckily society never really gets destroyed, it merely evolves so every end is just a new beginning

Agreed, completely.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.