Jump to topic:

Marriage is a mistake..

suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 9:33:42 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
1. Marriage limited you to a single women (or men depend on your gender, and sexual point of view), while simple romantic relationship allow you to "rotate" your partner as many as you are capable.

2. Marriage is bad investment. It means more belly to feed (at least your children, or your husband and wife in the worst case scenario.), more space, more facility with risky (and unnecessary) return on investment (I guest most of us would retire with our saving or pension anyway).

3. Marriage expose yourself to legal risk, that is lawsuit in divorce which post even further risk on your wealth and asset.

While many found marriage to be the major source of affection. A successful man and women can find adoration and respect wherever they are - they can even adopt children if they really want to have a successor (and bypass all the natural risk factor such as ugliness, stupidity, or disability.) Conversely those who are not successful will never be respect or adore with or without family. I can hardly respect my father if he is fool-alcoholic unemployed.

So basically I don't find the idea of marrying to have family attractive or reasonable and would rather devote it 100 percent for career and personal entertainment. Your thought?
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 9:40:38 AM
At 4/22/2013 9:33:42 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:
1. Marriage limited you to a single women (or men depend on your gender, and sexual point of view), while simple romantic relationship allow you to "rotate" your partner as many as you are capable.

2. Marriage is bad investment. It means more belly to feed (at least your children, or your husband and wife in the worst case scenario.), more space, more facility with risky (and unnecessary) return on investment (I guest most of us would retire with our saving or pension anyway).

3. Marriage expose yourself to legal risk, that is lawsuit in divorce which post even further risk on your wealth and asset.

While many found marriage to be the major source of affection. A successful man and women can find adoration and respect wherever they are - they can even adopt children if they really want to have a successor (and bypass all the natural risk factor such as ugliness, stupidity, or disability.) Conversely those who are not successful will never be respect or adore with or without family. I can hardly respect my father if he is fool-alcoholic unemployed.

So basically I don't find the idea of marrying to have family attractive or reasonable and would rather devote it 100 percent for career and personal entertainment. Your thought?

You don't understand marriage, its purpose in general usage, or the people who have it.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 9:41:00 AM
Marriage is a three ring circus: engagement ring ---wedding ring ---suffering
Bachelors should be heavily taxed. It is not fair that some men should be happier than others.

A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Don't marry for money; you can borrow it cheaper.

Every man should get married some time; after all, happiness is not the only thing in life!!
DDO Debate Champion Forum
http://www.debate.org...
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 10:42:54 AM
To have a taste of suffering you mean? :D

but the guy above is right, I don't understand the purpose of a marriage. That is why I asked this question.
APB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 6:01:57 PM

People in the modern world have completely lost sight of the purpose of marriage. It is a social contract that says:

"I agree to live with you, and to make babies with you and only you, and to share my wealth with you so that we can more efficiently raise strong, healthy and successful children. I also agree to treat you with respect and work together with you to resolve issues our family, immediate or extended, faces. I understand that if I cheat on you, abuse you, or bring harm to any member of the family, and only if I do one of those 3 things, that you have the right to void this contract at your discretion."

Nowadays, we have divorce, Vegas, contraception, abortion, adoption and homosexuality, which makes the contract a little redundant in my opinion. Some may still desire it, but it's not for me. I'm too damaged and unstable for a long-term relationship of any sort.
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 6:05:28 PM
At 4/22/2013 6:01:57 PM, APB wrote:
Nowadays, we have divorce, Vegas, contraception, abortion, adoption and homosexuality, which makes the contract a little redundant in my opinion. Some may still desire it, but it's not for me. I'm too damaged and unstable for a long-term relationship of any sort.

Personnel issues?
DDO Debate Champion Forum
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 6:23:41 PM
It may be good for some people. I don't want it.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 6:25:16 PM
A mistake for whom? Many happily married couples will attest to the fact that they could not, would not want to, leave their partner.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 7:42:58 PM
Remaining single is costly and a never ending series of failed relationships in most cases. You will get lonely and it sucks to come home to an empty house and have no one to care about. Living together and being married is not the same. If you think the divorce rates are bad the break up rates for people who live together is way worse. The is no implied sense of commitment. Remaining single is selfish.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 9:58:14 PM
One of the bunnies in this thread seemed to have an understanding of marriage that aligns with mine, although he or she seems to have curious personal/emotional issues (by admission).

Marriage is a social contract that promises to maintain a stable family-oriented household. I disagree that homosexuality makes it redundant. It also has implications regarding familial relationships and estates, particularly when a lot of money is involved.

Marriage is a big deal, because humans enjoy celebrating notable decisions. Thus, they amalgamate, congratulate, play music, dance, and eat. I see nothing frivolous nor disagreeable about that. It is a big deal. It is one of the primary foci of our existences as biological entities.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 11:43:44 PM
Video explaining how people married are more happy, and due to the fact that they are married (and not self-selection bias)

I was almost expecting spawktalk to give a marriage proposal to his gf at the end :(.
Open borders debate:
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 11:45:55 PM
At 4/22/2013 11:43:44 PM, darkkermit wrote:
I was almost expecting spawktalk to give a marriage proposal to his gf at the end :(.

That would have been the nerdiest, cute thing ever.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2013 11:46:34 AM
At 4/22/2013 9:58:14 PM, Ren wrote:
One of the bunnies in this thread seemed to have an understanding of marriage that aligns with mine, although he or she seems to have curious personal/emotional issues (by admission).

Me? Who's admission?

May the best man win!
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2013 2:33:32 PM

Video explaining how people married are more happy, and due to the fact that they are married (and not self-selection bias)

Damn, I was gunna post that =p
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2013 3:11:03 PM
At 4/23/2013 2:33:32 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

Damn, I was gunna post that =p

Yes, its unfortunate that a second user on DDO is subscribed to the same obscure channels as you are :p.
Open borders debate:
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 7:55:47 AM
At 4/22/2013 6:25:16 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
A mistake for whom? Many happily married couples will attest to the fact that they could not, would not want to, leave their partner.

They probably be happier by simply living together without legal, emotional, cultural tie.
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 7:57:50 AM
At 4/22/2013 7:42:58 PM, sadolite wrote:
Remaining single is costly and a never ending series of failed relationships in most cases. You will get lonely and it sucks to come home to an empty house and have no one to care about. Living together and being married is not the same. If you think the divorce rates are bad the break up rates for people who live together is way worse. The is no implied sense of commitment. Remaining single is selfish.

Selfishness is virtue.
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 8:02:59 AM
It shows your commitment toward yourself, which is the first and foremost priority of any society. You shouldn't help drowning people when you can't swim, only when you had done enough to yourself so you would have the right (in form of power) to decide what to happen to people around you.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2013 10:46:31 PM
At 4/24/2013 7:57:50 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:

Selfishness is virtue.

Ya, sure it is. Selfishness is a form of narcissism. Self preservation at no ones expense, mabey a little.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2013 1:54:33 PM
At 4/27/2013 12:51:49 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Thanks for the info Barney Stinson.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 9:07:37 AM
At 4/26/2013 10:46:31 PM, sadolite wrote:

Selfishness is virtue.

Ya, sure it is. Selfishness is a form of narcissism. Self preservation at no ones expense, mabey a little.

If organisms in a species weren't a little selfish, the species would probably die out fast. They'd also be very vulnerable to possible organisms of the same species who abuse selflessness.

May the best man win!
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2013 6:53:17 AM
At 4/28/2013 9:07:37 AM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
At 4/26/2013 10:46:31 PM, sadolite wrote:

Selfishness is virtue.

If organisms in a species weren't a little selfish, the species would probably die out fast. They'd also be very vulnerable to possible organisms of the same species who abuse selflessness.

It's not only the matter of survival, but progress at someone expense is no less moral no matter who, even if that someone is you.
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 5:04:23 AM
I'd been living with my boyfriend for a year and a half when we got married, and I was shocked the difference it made. I thought it would make no difference at all.

Mostly, the difference was in the perceptions of everyone around us. Once we were married, my family took ownership of him and his family took ownership of me. Which is kind of scary, actually. We'd been living happily on separate bank accounts but after we were married that really had to change. All his friends started facebooking me, and we've had to turn up to each others' social functions.

What's the good side? Um...just joking! For me, it was easy, the creation of family, and living with someone who's a family member rather than just a friend. You have to consider your partner, of course, but you don't have to market yourself to them. You can take the long term view a bit. It's like the difference between friends and siblings. Siblings are more annoying and less superficially attractive, but they stick by you. They know you. When things get bad they stay around whether they want to or not. And, over the years, the relationship is more meaningful than friendships which come and go. That's my experience anyway.

The other big difference, which I hadn't expected, was a huge jump in status. Being a married woman is a big deal, it turns out, in other countries a bit more than here, but here too. I get called Senora which I much prefer to Senorita, and the things I do or say seem to be given more weight in social settings. This is a surprise to me, but it's good.

I used to think that marriage was stupid. I was very vocal on it, embarrassingly enough, and was sure I would never get married. But I've changed my mind completely. Now, when there's unmarried couples, especially when one wants to get married and the other says no (I have quite a few girlfriends whose partners refuse to marry them), it always seems a bit shifty. It's like, why not?
Df0512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 10:08:16 PM

If you can have a fulfilling life living that way, who are we to say you are making a mistake. Marriage is for people who can look at your list there and still say "I do". Not for people who can be happy with just their careers an personal entertainment.
Single_Cell_Pony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 11:25:54 PM
1. Marriage limited you to a single women (or men depend on your gender, and :sexual point of view), while simple romantic relationship allow you to "rotate" your :partner as many as you are capable.

This argument assumes that everyone would want to do this; which is clearly not the case. Many people are actually happy with having only one partner.

2. Marriage is bad investment. It means more belly to feed (at least your :children, or your husband and wife in the worst case scenario.),

This argument assumes that everyone who gets married has or desires to have children. This is not true.

more space, more facility with risky (and unnecessary) return on investment (I :guest most of us would retire with our saving or pension anyway).

I have no idea what this means.

3. Marriage expose yourself to legal risk, that is lawsuit in divorce which post :even further risk on your wealth and asset.

This argument assumes that all marriages will end in divorce. This is not true.

While many found marriage to be the major source of affection. A successful
man and women can find adoration and respect wherever they are - they can :even adopt children if they really want to have a successor (and bypass all the :natural risk factor such as ugliness, stupidity, or disability.) Conversely those who :are not successful will never be respect or adore with or without family. I can :hardly respect my father if he is fool-alcoholic unemployed.

This all seems to be a personal statement or some kind.

So basically I don't find the idea of marrying to have family attractive or :reasonable and would rather devote it 100 percent for career and personal :entertainment. Your thought?

My thought is that you made a huge generalization about an entire institution based on a bad personal experience.
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 4:37:12 AM
At 5/13/2013 11:25:54 PM, Single_Cell_Pony wrote:
1. Marriage limited you to a single women (or men depend on your gender, and :sexual point of view), while simple romantic relationship allow you to "rotate" your :partner as many as you are capable.

This argument assumes that everyone would want to do this; which is clearly not the case. Many people are actually happy with having only one partner.

2. Marriage is bad investment. It means more belly to feed (at least your :children, or your husband and wife in the worst case scenario.),

This argument assumes that everyone who gets married has or desires to have children. This is not true.

more space, more facility with risky (and unnecessary) return on investment (I :guest most of us would retire with our saving or pension anyway).

I have no idea what this means.

3. Marriage expose yourself to legal risk, that is lawsuit in divorce which post :even further risk on your wealth and asset.

This argument assumes that all marriages will end in divorce. This is not true.

While many found marriage to be the major source of affection. A successful
man and women can find adoration and respect wherever they are - they can :even adopt children if they really want to have a successor (and bypass all the :natural risk factor such as ugliness, stupidity, or disability.) Conversely those who :are not successful will never be respect or adore with or without family. I can :hardly respect my father if he is fool-alcoholic unemployed.

This all seems to be a personal statement or some kind.

So basically I don't find the idea of marrying to have family attractive or :reasonable and would rather devote it 100 percent for career and personal :entertainment. Your thought?

My thought is that you made a huge generalization about an entire institution based on a bad personal experience.

No, I never have any bad experience on relationship or marriage (none at all in fact), but the point I made is why expose yourself to all this risk when you can simply have a relationship without recognition from the state? I am fully understand that marriage is a form of personal happiness, that's why I don't understand why people is so serious on getting a government involvement in their relationship which is suppose to be of you two.
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 5:02:30 AM
I'm getting married this Sunday. Proposing to my fiancee was the smartest thing ever did. I've been calling this woman my "wife" for years now and we have a kid together, but now that it's about to be official....idk. There's this crazy excitement to it. I look at her now, and it's like I'm meeting her for the first time again. I'm getting knots in my stomach when we make eye contact. I don't know what's going to change besides the legal crap, our relationship is actually very good compared to most but it feels like...I'm becoming whole.

One day you're going to meet someone who makes you feel like I feel. Don't be stupid. Hold on to that. I couldn't imagine anything more painful than seeing the girl I love, with someone else. Maybe having a drill taken to your testicles, but just barely.
#BlackLivesMatter
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 9:36:48 AM
At 5/14/2013 5:02:30 AM, Agent_Orange wrote:
I'm getting married this Sunday. Proposing to my fiancee was the smartest thing ever did. I've been calling this woman my "wife" for years now and we have a kid together, but now that it's about to be official....idk. There's this crazy excitement to it. I look at her now, and it's like I'm meeting her for the first time again. I'm getting knots in my stomach when we make eye contact. I don't know what's going to change besides the legal crap, our relationship is actually very good compared to most but it feels like...I'm becoming whole.

One day you're going to meet someone who makes you feel like I feel. Don't be stupid. Hold on to that. I couldn't imagine anything more painful than seeing the girl I love, with someone else. Maybe having a drill taken to your testicles, but just barely.

Gratz, and good luck. :)
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2013 9:19:28 AM
At 5/14/2013 5:02:30 AM, Agent_Orange wrote:

Cheer, glad to hear that you have a good couple life.

As for me, I doubt though if I would ever find anyone I can truly love. My life is quite dry and I got the feeling that I've past the point of no return.

D