Jump to topic:

Animal abuse needs harsher punishment.

APB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2013 6:28:08 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I just read an article (link below) about a man and his wife who set their fighting dog on an elderly cat in front of some school children. Their punishment?

95 and 75 hours of community service respectively.

And he's complaining that it's unfair. And that he can't go anywhere without people pointing at him. And that he could lose his job (he's a soldier). The dog received no punishment, and he took it to obedience lessons (as if the dog needs any more obedience).

Personally, I think the both of them should be hanged. At the very least, they should spend 20 years in prison. That's what they'd get if it had been an elderly lady, how's a cat any different? You're still killing an innocent passerby in broad daylight (in front of f*cking school children). That cat may have had a few more years left before Nature took her. She may have had a family that misses her dearly. Just because she's a cat doesn't make her any less deserving of kindness and respect.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk...
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2013 10:18:53 AM
Cats = humans?

also, how can you tell if a cat is elderly? Hah

You wouldn't like Afghanistan.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2013 1:05:02 PM
At 4/23/2013 6:28:08 AM, APB wrote:
I just read an article (link below) about a man and his wife who set their fighting dog on an elderly cat in front of some school children. Their punishment?

And he's complaining that it's unfair. And that he can't go anywhere without people pointing at him. And that he could lose his job (he's a soldier). The dog received no punishment, and he took it to obedience lessons (as if the dog needs any more obedience).

Personally, I think the both of them should be hanged. At the very least, they should spend 20 years in prison. That's what they'd get if it had been an elderly lady, how's a cat any different? You're still killing an innocent passerby in broad daylight (in front of f*cking school children). That cat may have had a few more years left before Nature took her. She may have had a family that misses her dearly. Just because she's a cat doesn't make her any less deserving of kindness and respect.

The vast majority of animal abuse cases happen daily on factory farms and in slaughterhouses. Do you support the same punishments for a farmer who castrates, dehorns, brands and kills a cow as you would for someone who kills a cat.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2013 1:27:30 PM
At 4/23/2013 1:05:02 PM, vbaculum wrote:

The vast majority of animal abuse cases happen daily on factory farms and in slaughterhouses. Do you support the same punishments for a farmer who castrates, dehorns, brands and kills a cow as you would for someone who kills a cat.

but cats are cute and cows aren't. Checkmate.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2013 1:36:01 PM
At 4/23/2013 1:27:30 PM, darkkermit wrote:

http://www.tumblr.com...

Uncheckmate
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2013 1:42:33 PM
At 4/23/2013 1:36:01 PM, Buddamoose wrote:

Uncheckmate

damn it, hate it when i think i have checkmate, when its only check.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2013 2:00:16 PM

Uncheckmate

Baby cows are delicous

Recheckmate
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2013 2:13:35 PM
At 4/23/2013 2:00:16 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:

Uncheckmate

Baby cows are delicous

Recheckmate

They're deliciousness is irrelevant to whether or not they are cute as Kermit was pointing out.

Uncheckmate

On top of that, there are culture in the world that actually hold cats as a delicious and delectable meat.

Check
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2013 2:36:51 PM
At 4/23/2013 2:13:35 PM, Buddamoose wrote:

Uncheckmate

Baby cows are delicous

Recheckmate

They're deliciousness is irrelevant to whether or not they are cute as Kermit was pointing out.

Uncheckmate

You used "they are" when you should have used "their". Re-re-checkmate in light of this unforgivable grammar sin.

On top of that, there are culture in the world that actually hold cats as a delicious and delectable meat.

Check

And there are cultures which think all life is sacred, too. Uncheck.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2013 2:57:39 PM

Uncheckmate

Baby cows are delicous

Recheckmate

Better than regular beef? I don't know that I've ever had veal

TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2013 3:04:39 PM
I get my Meat from my Grampa, who raises his own cattle.

I can say I'm very lucky in that regard.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2013 3:55:52 PM
At 4/23/2013 3:55:30 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
Nah, it needs less punishment. Screw the animals.

Literally if you want. What do I care?
APB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2013 6:21:06 PM
At 4/23/2013 10:18:53 AM, lewis20 wrote:
Cats = humans?

also, how can you tell if a cat is elderly? Hah

You wouldn't like Afghanistan.

Same way you can tell if a human is elderly: stiff joints, loose skin, doesn't groom properly, walks around as if they own the place.

And no, I wouldn't like Afghanistan.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2013 6:30:08 PM
"Personally, I think the both of them should be hanged. At the very least, they should spend 20 years in prison. That's what they'd get if it had been an elderly lady, how's a cat any different?"

If that's what they would get if it had been an elderly lady, then the only just punishment would be less than twenty years in prison - unless you seriously want to consider humans and cats as being equal.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2013 6:35:53 PM
At 4/23/2013 6:30:08 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
"Personally, I think the both of them should be hanged. At the very least, they should spend 20 years in prison. That's what they'd get if it had been an elderly lady, how's a cat any different?"

If that's what they would get if it had been an elderly lady, then the only just punishment would be less than twenty years in prison - unless you seriously want to consider humans and cats as being equal.

^ in which case I would inquire if you consider the life of a bacteria to be a value, and if a breach of said bacteria's life should be punishable by death or twenty years in prison. If you want to equate all life as being equal, then you'd have no justifiable reason for detracting in that case.
APB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2013 7:34:32 PM
At 4/23/2013 6:35:53 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

^ in which case I would inquire if you consider the life of a bacteria to be a value, and if a breach of said bacteria's life should be punishable by death or twenty years in prison. If you want to equate all life as being equal, then you'd have no justifiable reason for detracting in that case.

Why shouldn't cats be our equals? I have never heard an intelligent justification for why vertebrates that aren't food or pests should have less right to life than humans (I know there are places where cats are food, but they are not relevant to our discussion here).

And bacteria, being single-celled organisms with no neurological activity, are a completely different story. You know that, so don't go there.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2013 8:18:43 PM
At 4/23/2013 6:21:06 PM, APB wrote:

Same way you can tell if a human is elderly: stiff joints, loose skin, doesn't groom properly, walks around as if they own the place.

That sounds like a typical day for me, sans the loose skin, which I've never seen a furry critter with loose skin.

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2013 8:30:07 PM

20 years in prison might be a bit much, but five years in prison and a stiff fine (as in ten years wages) would suffice.
Tsar of DDO
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2013 8:45:38 PM
At 4/23/2013 7:34:32 PM, APB wrote:

Why shouldn't cats be our equals? I have never heard an intelligent justification for why vertebrates that aren't food or pests should have less right to life than humans (I know there are places where cats are food, but they are not relevant to our discussion here).

And bacteria, being single-celled organisms with no neurological activity, are a completely different story. You know that, so don't go there.

Of course I think bacteria have objectively less value than a cat - that's not the point I'm trying to make. For the same reasons you find fault in heavily punishing someone for harming bacteria, though, are the same reasons I find fault in heavily punishing someone for harming a cat, or any other animal like it.
APB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2013 9:44:33 PM
At 4/23/2013 8:45:38 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

Of course I think bacteria have objectively less value than a cat - that's not the point I'm trying to make. For the same reasons you find fault in heavily punishing someone for harming bacteria, though, are the same reasons I find fault in heavily punishing someone for harming a cat, or any other animal like it.

My problem with punishing people who "murder" bacteria is that it would be impossible to prove, screw up the field of medicine, and is pointless as bacteria are single-celled organisms with no neurological function.

Are those the same reasons you have for not wanting to punish cat-killers?
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2013 9:50:30 PM
At 4/23/2013 9:44:33 PM, APB wrote:

My problem with punishing people who "murder" bacteria is that it would be impossible to prove, screw up the field of medicine, and is pointless as bacteria are single-celled organisms with no neurological function.

In effect, yes. All your points contribute to the argument that bacteria do not have as much value, and therefore, do not have rights in the same way humans do. We can switch to a fly if this is too abstract for you.
APB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2013 10:09:10 PM
At 4/23/2013 9:50:30 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 4/23/2013 9:44:33 PM, APB wrote:

In effect, yes. All your points contribute to the argument that bacteria do not have as much value, and therefore, do not have rights in the same way humans do. We can switch to a fly if this is too abstract for you.

No, I meant "are those the specific reasons". It was a rhetorical question, because cat-killing can be proved, has no effect on medicine, and cats are multi-cellular with neurological function. So what are your specific criteria that make cat-killing not as bad as human-killing?