2nd child dies

muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 6:40:59 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

"A couple serving probation for the 2009 death of their toddler after they turned to prayer instead of a doctor could face new charges now that another son has died."

Can someone in America please explain to me why their children weren't taken away in the first place?
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 7:17:56 AM
Because its the parents choice? Though I disagree strongly with this, and think they should have forced them, I have no idea why this was allowed.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 12:46:59 PM
At 4/24/2013 6:40:59 AM, muzebreak wrote:

"A couple serving probation for the 2009 death of their toddler after they turned to prayer instead of a doctor could face new charges now that another son has died."

Can someone in America please explain to me why their children weren't taken away in the first place?

Because 'MERCA!!!111!!1!, muze.

Where "f*@K you, that's why" is an accepable answer.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 2:04:23 PM
Because the world isn't fair. If you have a system in which children are taken from their parents for being subjected to uncommon parenting routines (e.g., opting for religious faith over Western medicine), you'll probably end up with children taken from "good" parents on the basis of some weird, unpredictable parenting anomaly. I would say here what I said in the debate over the FDA--some people will die because drugs were delayed, and some will die because snake oil was brought to market. Similarly, children are either going to be taken from their parents on dubious grounds or left in the care of negligent or ignorant parents--debates like these are not one-sided, nor should we want them to be, particularly when, at least in this thread, the operative methodology relies on pointing to isolated (but salient) examples of parenting mistakes. I think the larger mistake would be to go into crisis mode, or, if you like, the "something needs to be done!" mentality. The righteous anger of a collective conscience is not a substitute for careful debate over policy, and it would be an unforgivable error to found our legal arguments on upsetting stories in the news.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 6:32:23 PM

This is sad. This just goes to show you how fvcked up America's punishment is.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 1:29:41 AM
At 4/24/2013 7:06:01 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
They should be charged with manslaughter.

If this was the norm, then why isn't uncareful package reading that leads to death via food allergy not manslaughter?

Or not going to the ER for a flu?
My work here is, finally, done.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 1:33:17 AM

So, if I wanted to try holistic medicine (say acupuncture) to treat my child's scoliosis, is that child neglect and deserving of me having my child taken away?
My work here is, finally, done.