Jump to topic:

The Welfare Problem

errya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 6:53:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Hey. For my English class, part of my homework is to write a small piece on a relevant issue that I was interested in. I chose the problem of Welfare and my gut reaction to that was that it should be cut, as it drains the governments funds, often isn't necessary, and can often be taken advantage of. But really, I don't know much at all about the pros and cons of welfare and the debate surrounding it. So would someone care to inform me? Thanks :D
The Most Noble Lord Horatio Nelson, Viscount and Baron Nelson, of the Nile and of Burnham Thorpe in the County of Norfolk, Baron Nelson of the Nile and of Hilborough in the said County, Knight of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath, Vice Admiral of the White Squadron of the Fleet, Commander in Chief of his Majesty's Ships and Vessels in the Mediterranean, Duke of Bront" in the Kingdom of Sicily, Knight Grand Cross of the Sicilian Order of St Ferdinand and of Merit, Member of the Ottoman Ord...
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 8:09:07 PM
Well I would say that main argument, in principle, is that it grows government. So, you take $5 and give it to a homeless guy and he gets $5. But, if you give $5 to the government to give to the homeless guy, he will get only $1 or $2 (I don't know the math, but something like that) since we have to pay for the administrative elements of a welfare program.

However, if we don't have welfare, then there are severe ethical problems with poverty which capitalism in and of itself simply does not address.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 10:31:41 PM
At 4/24/2013 8:09:07 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
Well I would say that main argument, in principle, is that it grows government. So, you take $5 and give it to a homeless guy and he gets $5. But, if you give $5 to the government to give to the homeless guy, he will get only $1 or $2 (I don't know the math, but something like that) since we have to pay for the administrative elements of a welfare program.

I think doing it through the government provides accountability (on the homeless man's part). If that homeless man goes to a soup kitchen and gets his $1-2 I would feel much better about that than giving him $5 directly and not knowing if it's going toward drugs or something.

However, if we don't have welfare, then there are severe ethical problems with poverty which capitalism in and of itself simply does not address.
yang.
errya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 11:16:47 PM
The Most Noble Lord Horatio Nelson, Viscount and Baron Nelson, of the Nile and of Burnham Thorpe in the County of Norfolk, Baron Nelson of the Nile and of Hilborough in the said County, Knight of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath, Vice Admiral of the White Squadron of the Fleet, Commander in Chief of his Majesty's Ships and Vessels in the Mediterranean, Duke of Bront" in the Kingdom of Sicily, Knight Grand Cross of the Sicilian Order of St Ferdinand and of Merit, Member of the Ottoman Ord...
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 12:31:12 AM
At 4/24/2013 6:53:35 PM, errya wrote:
Hey. For my English class, part of my homework is to write a small piece on a relevant issue that I was interested in. I chose the problem of Welfare and my gut reaction to that was that it should be cut, as it drains the governments funds

what would these funds go to instead?

often isn't necessary
in what way?
One could argue that people starving in the street is more likely to increase crime.

and can often be taken advantage of.
So can any government (and most private) program.

But really, I don't know much at all about the pros and cons of welfare and the debate surrounding it. So would someone care to inform me? Thanks :D

I would first start out saying what you define as welfare.
Yes, yes, food stamps and housing assistence, I am sure.
But, are social security, medicare, military housing, government loans (education, small business loans from the SBA), or various tax credits (child tax, earned income, higher education) considered welfare?
Why or why not?
My work here is, finally, done.
jrollins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2013 8:54:24 AM
kill all the blacks they are the ones that are homeless. bring this nation back to the good slavery days. WHITE POWER!
KKK Clansman