Jump to topic:

Things Are Looking Good

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 10:58:49 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Hey everyone. Guess what. It kinda looks like everything is gonna be ok after all. Actually, pretty great.

As it turns out, this is the percentage of global poverty over recent years:
http://www.voxeu.org...

The cool thing about that is that the bottom of the grid where everything is headed is actually zero. As in zero poverty. And it's projected to be there in around 2030.

As in...

Out of the all hundreds of billions of people who have ever lived and out of everyone to be born to come, you came into the one and only time humanity first achieves a world free of poverty.

On top of that, the progression of rights and freedoms have been steadily increasing as well. Government corruption, despite the common sense, has actually been declining world wide.

Oh, you know what else? We get to go to space too. And I really mean we. You-- the first world reader--will probably go to space at some point in your lifetime. You will live to see world peace and space.

Strides will be made in medicine. In technology. In networking.

You can't even fathom this kind of privilege. To really come to grips with this, you would find it impossible to ever feel disappointed with your place in the world or anything ever again.

So, just wanted you to let you know. You can return to bickering and demonizing each other now.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 11:36:48 PM
Thats no fun. I wanna keep complaining about sh!t.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2013 12:03:31 AM
At 4/25/2013 11:36:48 PM, OberHerr wrote:
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2013 12:19:55 AM
At 4/25/2013 10:58:49 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Hey everyone. Guess what. It kinda looks like everything is gonna be ok after all. Actually, pretty great.

The cool thing about that is that the bottom of the grid where everything is headed is actually zero. As in zero poverty. And it's projected to be there in around 2030.

As in...

Out of the all hundreds of billions of people who have ever lived and out of everyone to be born to come, you came into the one and only time humanity first achieves a world free of poverty.

Your dinky 40-year graph, based on a metric that isn't promising ($1/day??), is far from supporting your point.

On top of that, the progression of rights and freedoms have been steadily increasing as well. Government corruption, despite the common sense, has actually been declining world wide.

That's a shaky and rather meaningless point. Government corruption is not the root of all evil, and even if it was, you haven't really shown conclusively that it's disappearing.

Oh, you know what else? We get to go to space too. And I really mean we. You-- the first world reader--will probably go to space at some point in your lifetime. You will live to see world peace and space.

I doubt that. It takes a tremendous amount of energy to achieve escape velocity and as we continue to multiply, energy-consumption becomes an increasingly problematic concern.

Meaningless. I'm a minimalist and care little for technological advance.

You can't even fathom this kind of privilege. To really come to grips with this, you would find it impossible to ever feel disappointed with your place in the world or anything ever again.

Progress seems to breed disappointment at the deepest level.

So, just wanted you to let you know. You can return to bickering and demonizing each other now.

What matters is happiness. The path to happiness is rejection of vice, namely pride and selfishness. We are becoming more materialistic with time, and relying more and more on technology to save us. Even your post here seems to suggest that we should remain pacified and wait for technology to step in and remedy our woes. It won't.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2013 1:08:24 AM

As in...

$1 per day?:/

I hate to be a pessimist, but I feel like it's one of those y^-x type things, it goes down fast at first, then as it approaches 0 kind of levels off, always going down but never hitting zero. I don't see how places like Somalia, Mali, Ethiopia, Liberia, Haiti, Zimbabwe, Congo, & Somalia will ever get out of poverty.
But hey, .oooo1 ain't bad :)

Oh, one other thing, does this chart take inflation into account? :(
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2013 10:16:50 AM

Not exactly a coincidence: http://en.wikipedia.org...
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2013 12:53:31 PM

As in...

You would probably like Pinker's The Better Angels of our Nature, if you haven't read it. However, if you've read Kurtzweil, all this would see like small potatoes.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2013 12:59:12 PM
At 4/26/2013 12:03:31 AM, FREEDO wrote:
At 4/25/2013 11:36:48 PM, OberHerr wrote:

A television show preaching the evils of television?
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2013 4:22:13 PM
I'm holding my breath and filled with hope.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2013 4:47:46 PM
That's great, except that it doesn't mean anything.

There are many different methods for determining what poverty is.
I know one is a baseline dollar amount, which is what you showed.

Another is one half of the median income; a sort-of societal/relative poverty.

My point?
There will always be someone crying poverty, using a specific definition.
My work here is, finally, done.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2013 4:56:03 PM
At 4/26/2013 12:53:31 PM, vbaculum wrote:

As in...

You would probably like Pinker's The Better Angels of our Nature, if you haven't read it. However, if you've read Kurzweil, all this would see like small potatoes.

Oh God, another Singularitan fanatic... take your pseudoteleology and get out.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2013 6:51:25 PM
Homies in the hood can't make the payments on their 24's what could be poor than that.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2013 10:26:45 PM
At 4/26/2013 6:51:25 PM, sadolite wrote:
Homies in the hood can't make the payments on their 24's what could be poor than that.

Actually it's 16s now...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 9:13:11 AM

As in...

Bono told me this in a TED talk... lol

Mhmm. People think societies trending towards the bad times because they here more and more about such things happening, whereas that's just the increase in freedom and attack against such things.

Similar to how we all get to fly in a plane, I'm guessing. Yes it sounds great. :D

Maybe not.

Lol. We can still do those things, just because life is better that eternal torture doesn't mean we shouldn't try to improve our lives, through constructive "bickering". Plus unfortunately it's a little bit in the nature of life. Of course, demonising isn't all that positive.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!