Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2013 11:29:01 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I heard this conversation from the game of throne, watched at my friend's home

Some King: Let's hear it
A male squire: It embarrassed sir.
Some King: Is there anything more embarrass than being locked in chain and covered in your own sh_t!

What I found amusing is that if you replace the word 'embarrass' with 'unmanly' you can read the whole sentence and got exactly same meaning.

D
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2013 4:08:58 PM
That is the worst possible example of sexism in language, that you could ever give. I mean, there are legitimate examples of sexism in language, but that is definitely not one of them.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2013 4:25:08 PM
At 5/26/2013 11:29:01 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:

Some King: Is there anything more embarrass than being locked in chain and covered in your own sh_t!

What I found amusing is that if you replace the word 'embarrass' with 'unmanly' you can read the whole sentence and got exactly same meaning.

D

I don't find this example appealing.
I would say it is embarrassing, perhaps even humiliating or dehumanizing, to be locked in chains soiling myself.

However, I do not find it unmanly to be in that situation. What is unmanly about it? Being overpowered to be in that situation? Not a good example. Try again.
My work here is, finally, done.
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 1:40:16 AM
At 5/26/2013 4:25:08 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

D

I would say it is embarrassing, perhaps even humiliating or dehumanizing, to be locked in chains soiling myself.

However, I do not find it unmanly to be in that situation. What is unmanly about it? Being overpowered to be in that situation? Not a good example. Try again.

Err.. no being soaked in dirt and lock in chain is not the source of sexism I mentioned. The point is the word embarrass, when spoken from a man it can refer to unmanliness and still retain its all meaning. On the other hand, if the word is spoken from a women, ungirly or a girl act like a man doesn't sound like thing to be ashamed of at all (I believed many even hold it with pride).

And if you still not notice, that was a joke. Sorry if that wasn't funny.
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 6:30:19 AM
At 5/27/2013 1:40:16 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:

D

Err.. no being soaked in dirt and lock in chain is not the source of sexism I mentioned. The point is the word embarrass, when spoken from a man it can refer to unmanliness and still retain its all meaning. On the other hand, if the word is spoken from a women, ungirly or a girl act like a man doesn't sound like thing to be ashamed of at all (I believed many even hold it with pride).

I don't get the joke (sorry), but actually to say something is "unwomanly" is indeed something to be ashamed of. And to say something is unboyish, like ungirly, is meaningless.

No, the sexism is you equating girl with man. Or boy with woman. Kind of creepy :)
Graincruncher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 1:53:48 PM

D

I do not think that 'embarrass' carries the same connotations as 'unmanly' at all. I'd go as far as to say that equating the two is what is sexist.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 2:39:33 PM
At 5/27/2013 1:40:16 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:

D

Being called unwomanly definitely sounds like something to be ashamed of. If you disagree, I dare you to call a woman unwomanly! Let me know her reaction. I bet she takes it as an insult.