Total Posts:181|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Tell Burglars Not to Steal

RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 11:26:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
"Don't tell people to lock their doors, tell burglars not to steal.

Door locking is victim blaming!"

http://schrodingerstherapist.blogspot.ca...

Large pic from the article shown:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com...

Discus.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 11:44:22 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/3/2013 11:26:14 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
"Don't tell people to lock their doors, tell burglars not to steal.

Door locking is victim blaming!"

http://schrodingerstherapist.blogspot.ca...

Large pic from the article shown:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com...

Discus.

I need to print this off so I can remember them. The biggest one for me that wasn't listed...

When someone asks if you'd like fries with that, don't rape them.

And

When an officer tells you you have the right to remain silent, don't rape them.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 11:47:46 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
A horrific comparison.

Name a case where a burglar broke into a house and the jury later said it was fine because the home-owner was asking for it.

Public awareness of rape culture isn't meant to change rapists. It's meant to change culture. Part of that means showing the onus isn't on victims of rape.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 11:59:11 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/3/2013 11:47:46 PM, Wnope wrote:
A horrific comparison.

Name a case where a burglar broke into a house and the jury later said it was fine because the home-owner was asking for it.

Public awareness of rape culture isn't meant to change rapists. It's meant to change culture. Part of that means showing the onus isn't on victims of rape.

The onus is partially on them though, at least as far as sympathy is concern (not talking about legally, just socially).

If a person doesn't lock there their door, has no security measures and leaves a note on the door that says we won't be back until June 12th. I have no sympathy for them if they get robbed while on vacation. That is not to say the burglar shouldn't be charged, but that is as far as my concern for them goes.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 12:05:11 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/3/2013 11:59:11 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 6/3/2013 11:47:46 PM, Wnope wrote:
A horrific comparison.

Name a case where a burglar broke into a house and the jury later said it was fine because the home-owner was asking for it.

Public awareness of rape culture isn't meant to change rapists. It's meant to change culture. Part of that means showing the onus isn't on victims of rape.

The onus is partially on them though, at least as far as sympathy is concern (not talking about legally, just socially).

If a person doesn't lock there their door, has no security measures and leaves a note on the door that says we won't be back until June 12th. I have no sympathy for them if they get robbed while on vacation. That is not to say the burglar shouldn't be charged, but that is as far as my concern for them goes.

So, if your male friend happened to walk around at night dressed in short shorts and physically flirting with various men at gay bars, you will be less sympathetic with him being raped by other males than if he were wearing long jeans and sticking to hetero bars?
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 12:06:19 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Should we be less sympathetic to jews who are beaten by anti-semites because they wear orthodox clothing in bad neighborhoods?
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 12:14:26 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/4/2013 12:06:19 AM, Wnope wrote:
Should we be less sympathetic to jews who are beaten by anti-semites because they wear orthodox clothing in bad neighborhoods?

Yes. If you willingly choose to engage in a risky activity, we should be less sympathetic when the risk blows up at them. Just like if Eval Knievel dies in a crash, I'm less sympathetic than if John Doe dies while just going home from work in the evening.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 12:19:52 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/4/2013 12:06:19 AM, Wnope wrote:
Should we be less sympathetic to jews who are beaten by anti-semites because they wear orthodox clothing in bad neighborhoods?

Well hold on there. There's nothing wrong with wearing orthodox clothing, but if you're an orthodox Jew and you go walking around neo-nazi neighborhoods, at the very least you've no grounds to be surprised when you get attacked. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying we don't live in a perfect world and people ought to do that which they reasonably can in order to ensure their own safety.

The way I see it, people ought to take responsibility for everything that happens in their lives. Absolutely everything -- because once you say "this wasn't my fault, this wasn't my responsibility", you simultaneously surrender your ability to control the circumstance.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 12:34:52 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/4/2013 12:14:26 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 6/4/2013 12:06:19 AM, Wnope wrote:
Should we be less sympathetic to jews who are beaten by anti-semites because they wear orthodox clothing in bad neighborhoods?

Yes. If you willingly choose to engage in a risky activity, we should be less sympathetic when the risk blows up at them. Just like if Eval Knievel dies in a crash, I'm less sympathetic than if John Doe dies while just going home from work in the evening.

Well, speaking as a friend of orthodox Jew who had friends in bad neighborhoods, I find it extremely interesting that you would have felt much less sympathetic for him than if he restricted friends to rich neighborhoods.

Evil Knievel jumping cars is miles from a woman deciding to drink at a college party or going to a bar. There aren't too many rape victims who actively put themselves in a dangerous situation just to see whether they could be bad@ss. Most women who walk home alone drunk wouldn't be walking alone if they had their way.

If ONLY they'd brought a man home with home, THEN they wouldn't have deserved rape as much.

And your male friend being raped by other men for being flirty in gay bars?

He's engaging in risky activity. Would you feel less sympathetic if he is raped there than if he were to stick to straight clubs and jeans?
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 12:44:05 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/4/2013 12:34:52 AM, Wnope wrote:
At 6/4/2013 12:14:26 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 6/4/2013 12:06:19 AM, Wnope wrote:
Should we be less sympathetic to jews who are beaten by anti-semites because they wear orthodox clothing in bad neighborhoods?

Yes. If you willingly choose to engage in a risky activity, we should be less sympathetic when the risk blows up at them. Just like if Eval Knievel dies in a crash, I'm less sympathetic than if John Doe dies while just going home from work in the evening.

Well, speaking as a friend of orthodox Jew who had friends in bad neighborhoods, I find it extremely interesting that you would have felt much less sympathetic for him than if he restricted friends to rich neighborhoods.

Evil Knievel jumping cars is miles from a woman deciding to drink at a college party or going to a bar. There aren't too many rape victims who actively put themselves in a dangerous situation just to see whether they could be bad@ss. Most women who walk home alone drunk wouldn't be walking alone if they had their way.

If ONLY they'd brought a man home with home, THEN they wouldn't have deserved rape as much.

And your male friend being raped by other men for being flirty in gay bars?

He's engaging in risky activity. Would you feel less sympathetic if he is raped there than if he were to stick to straight clubs and jeans?

I would like to think that most gay rapists would have enough taste to NOT consider short shorts a plus.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
YYW
Posts: 36,242
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 12:51:21 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/3/2013 11:47:46 PM, Wnope wrote:
A horrific comparison.

Name a case where a burglar broke into a house and the jury later said it was fine because the home-owner was asking for it.

I heard about a home that was burglarized because valuable items were left in plain sight, visible through windows. The affirmative defense was something to the effect of "they had it coming." Granted, I don't think they won the case, but the argument has been made in US courts before. I can't remember the instance though... it's been several years ago I heard of this.

Public awareness of rape culture isn't meant to change rapists. It's meant to change culture. Part of that means showing the onus isn't on victims of rape.

Indeed.
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 1:00:30 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/4/2013 12:56:09 AM, Wnope wrote:
At 6/4/2013 12:53:05 AM, tulle wrote:
A victim of rape is a locked door.

Took me a sec to figure that out. Deep.

lol To the people who honestly think a man breaking and forcibly entering a woman is akin to walking through an unlocked door, I think you need to have the sex talk again.
yang.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 1:17:08 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/4/2013 12:34:52 AM, Wnope wrote:
At 6/4/2013 12:14:26 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 6/4/2013 12:06:19 AM, Wnope wrote:
Should we be less sympathetic to jews who are beaten by anti-semites because they wear orthodox clothing in bad neighborhoods?

Yes. If you willingly choose to engage in a risky activity, we should be less sympathetic when the risk blows up at them. Just like if Eval Knievel dies in a crash, I'm less sympathetic than if John Doe dies while just going home from work in the evening.

Well, speaking as a friend of orthodox Jew who had friends in bad neighborhoods, I find it extremely interesting that you would have felt much less sympathetic for him than if he restricted friends to rich neighborhoods.

Evil Knievel jumping cars is miles from a woman deciding to drink at a college party or going to a bar. There aren't too many rape victims who actively put themselves in a dangerous situation just to see whether they could be bad@ss. Most women who walk home alone drunk wouldn't be walking alone if they had their way.

That is merely pointing out the extreme ends to show that there is a difference. Now all that is arguing is how much of a difference at different levels. But the premise that taking unknown risks lowers the sympathy that one may receive is re-affirmed.


If ONLY they'd brought a man home with home, THEN they wouldn't have deserved rape as much.

There's a number of things that can be done to help prevent rape or rape/murders. But that is not the point, it is about how much sympathy I should have. How sorry should I feel for people that do things that they know is risky. And the answer is less than those that do not.


And your male friend being raped by other men for being flirty in gay bars?

He's engaging in risky activity. Would you feel less sympathetic if he is raped there than if he were to stick to straight clubs and jeans?

Yes. I would feel less sympathetic. That is not to say that there would be no sympathy, but there would be less.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 5:58:16 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/4/2013 12:53:05 AM, tulle wrote:
A victim of rape is a locked door.

I'm sober enough to give a real response now =D

Anyway, the exact measures given to protect the home isn't what's pertinent to the analogy. It could just as easily say "Don't tell people to close their doors, tell burglars not to steal", or "Don't tell people to avoid needlessly moving into rough areas, tell burglars not to steal", or "Don't tell people to call the police when someone breaks in, tell burglars not to steal".

Granted, we should be telling burglars/rapists not to steal/rape, but most people know stealing/raping is wrong, and I'd bet that most burglars/rapists are well aware that they're breaking the law and just don't care, so it's dangerous to act like telling people to take reasonable precautions against these crimes is equivalent to victim blaming. It doesn't have to be either/or, we can do both.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 6:44:05 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Sorry, but I don't believe dressing any particular way contributes to being raped. I'll certainly grant that rapists will try and use that as a defense, but why are we believing them again?
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 6:52:36 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/4/2013 6:44:05 AM, drafterman wrote:
Sorry, but I don't believe dressing any particular way contributes to being raped. I'll certainly grant that rapists will try and use that as a defense, but why are we believing them again?

Yes you do. Come on, it's one thing to say it's not right to blame women for being raped due to their clothing, but obviously the more skin you show the more inciting you'll be to a rapist, and so how you dress does contribute to being raped.

Also, if a rapist said "I raped her because she was wearing very skimpy clothing and it turned me on" -- he's probably not lying. He probably really was turned on by how she was dressed. I think it's safe to take their word here.

Saying her clothing factored into her rape is not the same as saying the rapist should get off on the "she was dressed scantily-clad and therefore had it coming" defense.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 6:55:13 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/4/2013 6:52:36 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
At 6/4/2013 6:44:05 AM, drafterman wrote:
Sorry, but I don't believe dressing any particular way contributes to being raped. I'll certainly grant that rapists will try and use that as a defense, but why are we believing them again?

Yes you do. Come on, it's one thing to say it's not right to blame women for being raped due to their clothing, but obviously the more skin you show the more inciting you'll be to a rapist, and so how you dress does contribute to being raped.

Also, if a rapist said "I raped her because she was wearing very skimpy clothing and it turned me on" -- he's probably not lying. He probably really was turned on by how she was dressed. I think it's safe to take their word here.

Saying her clothing factored into her rape is not the same as saying the rapist should get off on the "she was dressed scantily-clad and therefore had it coming" defense.

This excuse is hogwash. Women are molested and sexually harassed) by filthy pigs even when they dress in conservative Islamic clothing. (Source: http://www.liveleak.com...). If you can't control yourself, then I don't think you are much better than a dog, and you should be locked in a small cage.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 6:57:31 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Even when women dress conservatively, men have new excuses, including "they interacted with men by going in public/this is due to the mixing of the genders". There is always an excuse to justify disgusting behavior. I guess women shouldn't exist; our existence tempts men to be pigs. People shouldn't be wealthy either, because that makes them targets for crime.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 6:59:20 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/4/2013 6:56:55 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
Ladies and gentlemen, the real thread begins now.

Have you been trying to get my attention? I notice that all of your threads lately have been about demeaning women.
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 7:00:16 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/4/2013 6:55:13 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 6/4/2013 6:52:36 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
At 6/4/2013 6:44:05 AM, drafterman wrote:
Sorry, but I don't believe dressing any particular way contributes to being raped. I'll certainly grant that rapists will try and use that as a defense, but why are we believing them again?

Yes you do. Come on, it's one thing to say it's not right to blame women for being raped due to their clothing, but obviously the more skin you show the more inciting you'll be to a rapist, and so how you dress does contribute to being raped.

Also, if a rapist said "I raped her because she was wearing very skimpy clothing and it turned me on" -- he's probably not lying. He probably really was turned on by how she was dressed. I think it's safe to take their word here.

Saying her clothing factored into her rape is not the same as saying the rapist should get off on the "she was dressed scantily-clad and therefore had it coming" defense.

This excuse is hogwash. Women are molested and sexually harassed) by filthy pigs even when they dress in conservative Islamic clothing. (Source: http://www.liveleak.com...). If you can't control yourself, then I don't think you are much better than a dog, and you should be locked in a small cage.

I'm not saying how a woman dresses is an excuse to rape her, but it's too much to go the complete 180 and say that how you dress has nothing to do with how inciting a rapist (or non-rapists too, for that matter) finds you.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 7:04:54 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/4/2013 7:00:16 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
At 6/4/2013 6:55:13 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 6/4/2013 6:52:36 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
At 6/4/2013 6:44:05 AM, drafterman wrote:
Sorry, but I don't believe dressing any particular way contributes to being raped. I'll certainly grant that rapists will try and use that as a defense, but why are we believing them again?

Yes you do. Come on, it's one thing to say it's not right to blame women for being raped due to their clothing, but obviously the more skin you show the more inciting you'll be to a rapist, and so how you dress does contribute to being raped.

Also, if a rapist said "I raped her because she was wearing very skimpy clothing and it turned me on" -- he's probably not lying. He probably really was turned on by how she was dressed. I think it's safe to take their word here.

Saying her clothing factored into her rape is not the same as saying the rapist should get off on the "she was dressed scantily-clad and therefore had it coming" defense.

This excuse is hogwash. Women are molested and sexually harassed) by filthy pigs even when they dress in conservative Islamic clothing. (Source: http://www.liveleak.com...). If you can't control yourself, then I don't think you are much better than a dog, and you should be locked in a small cage.

I'm not saying how a woman dresses is an excuse to rape her, but it's too much to go the complete 180 and say that how you dress has nothing to do with how inciting a rapist (or non-rapists too, for that matter) finds you.

Yes, it is. The link proves that women are sexually harassed regardless of what they wear. This is a problem with men, and not with women. Men feel they are entitled to act the way they do, and their excuse is always that they are little better than animals and could not control themselves because of x, y, and z reasons that all have to do with women not being locked in a domestic environment. Well, if they are little better than animals, they should be treated in an inhumane way.

The other thing to note is that there is such a wide variety of sexual interests that literally everything a woman does can cause interest. Like, I think someone in another thread claimed that wearing the color red makes women attractive. I guess if someone harasses me when I wear red, it's my fault. Oh, and if I dress in conservative dress, it's my fault if someone who likes that targets me too.

See what kind of bogus this is? I shouldn't have to restrict myself because other people are pigs. They should learn to control their behavior.
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 7:05:11 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/4/2013 6:59:20 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 6/4/2013 6:56:55 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
Ladies and gentlemen, the real thread begins now.

Have you been trying to get my attention? I notice that all of your threads lately have been about demeaning women.

I invited you to comment on my last thread, but I haven't made any threads about demeaning women. the thread where I post my drawings isn't about demeaning women, or the one about my djembe, or the one about reviewing debates. The only other thread I can think of is this one >> http://www.debate.org...

But nothing about demeaning women came up in that thread either, except for when wrichcirw brought up the neo-Confucian concept of gender roles and family structure -- which no-one was advocating btw.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 7:12:02 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/4/2013 7:04:54 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 6/4/2013 7:00:16 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
At 6/4/2013 6:55:13 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 6/4/2013 6:52:36 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
At 6/4/2013 6:44:05 AM, drafterman wrote:
Sorry, but I don't believe dressing any particular way contributes to being raped. I'll certainly grant that rapists will try and use that as a defense, but why are we believing them again?

Yes you do. Come on, it's one thing to say it's not right to blame women for being raped due to their clothing, but obviously the more skin you show the more inciting you'll be to a rapist, and so how you dress does contribute to being raped.

Also, if a rapist said "I raped her because she was wearing very skimpy clothing and it turned me on" -- he's probably not lying. He probably really was turned on by how she was dressed. I think it's safe to take their word here.

Saying her clothing factored into her rape is not the same as saying the rapist should get off on the "she was dressed scantily-clad and therefore had it coming" defense.

This excuse is hogwash. Women are molested and sexually harassed) by filthy pigs even when they dress in conservative Islamic clothing. (Source: http://www.liveleak.com...). If you can't control yourself, then I don't think you are much better than a dog, and you should be locked in a small cage.

I'm not saying how a woman dresses is an excuse to rape her, but it's too much to go the complete 180 and say that how you dress has nothing to do with how inciting a rapist (or non-rapists too, for that matter) finds you.

Yes, it is. The link proves that women are sexually harassed regardless of what they wear. This is a problem with men, and not with women. Men feel they are entitled to act the way they do, and their excuse is always that they are little better than animals and could not control themselves because of x, y, and z reasons that all have to do with women not being locked in a domestic environment. Well, if they are little better than animals, they should be treated in an inhumane way.

The other thing to note is that there is such a wide variety of sexual interests that literally everything a woman does can cause interest. Like, I think someone in another thread claimed that wearing the color red makes women attractive. I guess if someone harasses me when I wear red, it's my fault. Oh, and if I dress in conservative dress, it's my fault if someone who likes that targets me too.

See what kind of bogus this is? I shouldn't have to restrict myself because other people are pigs. They should learn to control their behavior.

The video you linked shows a guy in Egypt dressing as a women and guys unwittingly hit on him thinking he's a woman. Nobody rapes him, so it's too much for you to say that this proves how you dress doesn't factor in to how likely you are to be raped.

Yes, tastes are diverse, but a near-naked women is a pretty universal taste. Obviously how women dress plays a part in how attractive they are to the average man -- in fact women count on this fact when they go out intentionally to meet someone.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 7:18:40 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/4/2013 7:12:02 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
At 6/4/2013 7:04:54 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 6/4/2013 7:00:16 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
At 6/4/2013 6:55:13 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 6/4/2013 6:52:36 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
At 6/4/2013 6:44:05 AM, drafterman wrote:
Sorry, but I don't believe dressing any particular way contributes to being raped. I'll certainly grant that rapists will try and use that as a defense, but why are we believing them again?

Yes you do. Come on, it's one thing to say it's not right to blame women for being raped due to their clothing, but obviously the more skin you show the more inciting you'll be to a rapist, and so how you dress does contribute to being raped.

Also, if a rapist said "I raped her because she was wearing very skimpy clothing and it turned me on" -- he's probably not lying. He probably really was turned on by how she was dressed. I think it's safe to take their word here.

Saying her clothing factored into her rape is not the same as saying the rapist should get off on the "she was dressed scantily-clad and therefore had it coming" defense.

This excuse is hogwash. Women are molested and sexually harassed) by filthy pigs even when they dress in conservative Islamic clothing. (Source: http://www.liveleak.com...). If you can't control yourself, then I don't think you are much better than a dog, and you should be locked in a small cage.

I'm not saying how a woman dresses is an excuse to rape her, but it's too much to go the complete 180 and say that how you dress has nothing to do with how inciting a rapist (or non-rapists too, for that matter) finds you.

Yes, it is. The link proves that women are sexually harassed regardless of what they wear. This is a problem with men, and not with women. Men feel they are entitled to act the way they do, and their excuse is always that they are little better than animals and could not control themselves because of x, y, and z reasons that all have to do with women not being locked in a domestic environment. Well, if they are little better than animals, they should be treated in an inhumane way.

The other thing to note is that there is such a wide variety of sexual interests that literally everything a woman does can cause interest. Like, I think someone in another thread claimed that wearing the color red makes women attractive. I guess if someone harasses me when I wear red, it's my fault. Oh, and if I dress in conservative dress, it's my fault if someone who likes that targets me too.

See what kind of bogus this is? I shouldn't have to restrict myself because other people are pigs. They should learn to control their behavior.

The video you linked shows a guy in Egypt dressing as a women and guys unwittingly hit on him thinking he's a woman. Nobody rapes him
Well, he was walking in broad daylight in a crowded street, so that's not a good test point. In addition, some buffoon did offer him money if he would spend the night with him.
, so it's too much for you to say that this proves how you dress doesn't factor in to how likely you are to be raped.

I don't see how this is true at all. Your claim was that attraction increases if women dress a certain way. What the video proves is that women are sexually harassed regardless of how they dress. You can't take a datapoint from someone walking in broad daylight and claim that this proves your point since he wasn't raped. The fact of the matter is that the men behaved in an unwanted, sexual manner even though he was dressed conservatively. The type of behavior that leads to sexual harassment is the same as the type of behavior that leads to rape. How I dress is not an excuse for a rapist, and if you think it is, I have no qualms about saying that you and all other rapists should be tortured to death.
Yes, tastes are diverse, but a near-naked women is a pretty universal taste.
So?
Obviously how women dress plays a part in how attractive they are to the average man -- in fact women count on this fact when they go out intentionally to meet someone.
Sure, but people will act the way they do regardless of how we are dressed. It is all about the pigs who need to die, and not about me.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 7:20:41 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Anyways, I'm done with this thread. I have better things to do than be made irritated by the stupidity of sexually frustrated boys on this website.
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 7:23:18 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/4/2013 7:08:47 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Women in burkas are harassed more:

So tell me, Ryuu, what am I supposed to wear?

royal, do you watch the videos you post? This isn't some kind of study showing this is true, this is the opinion of a few people -- and the title of that video is really misleading. The video spends more time discussing how the burka is more a result of a fashion trend more than anything else -- the word "harass" only comes up once in the video, and the woman doesn't go into any detail about what this harassment is, but from the context it seems pretty clear she's not talking about rape, but rather unwanted flirting.

Besides, even if it was true that wearing a burka = more likely to be raped, you've shown this to, at best, be true for this community specifically. Not everybody on Earth would feel more inclined to rape someone in a burka out of the curiosity of disrobing them over a woman who is already almost naked -- and given the way women intentionally will dress skimpier when going to a club specifically to better attract a guy shows that, for the most part, there is a consensus that more skin = sexier.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.