Total Posts:27|Showing Posts:1-27
Jump to topic:

Emotionless, good or bad?

suttichart.denpruektham
Posts: 1,115
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 7:39:45 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Emotionless, as in prejudice place upon certain culture i.e. German are emotionless, Far East people are not tend to display emotion, French are more reserve etc. (the last one is kind of mix reception, but I did hear someone who claim the French are, especially to traveler).

Prejudice such as this should be taken as compliment or insult? I know it the end it is up to how you think it is but I would rather hear of what do you think when it is actually apply to specific culture, not a person.

So being emotionless, good or bad?
leojm
Posts: 1,825
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 7:45:15 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/4/2013 7:39:45 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:
Emotionless, as in prejudice place upon certain culture i.e. German are emotionless, Far East people are not tend to display emotion, French are more reserve etc. (the last one is kind of mix reception, but I did hear someone who claim the French are, especially to traveler).

Prejudice such as this should be taken as compliment or insult? I know it the end it is up to how you think it is but I would rather hear of what do you think when it is actually apply to specific culture, not a person.

So being emotionless, good or bad?

Yep, your right with Germans. Same with Russians, we could care less if someone got hurt. We would just laugh. I'm getting better at having emotions. We are bitter in Russia as many Americans see us that way. :P
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 7:52:37 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Stoicism is good, and helpful to a large extent. To understand the power that lies in emotion, and that acting out of "feelings" is dangerous, is important. To be blatantly cold, and without any sense of passion about anything is not so good, and can ignore any sense of empathy or sympathy is also dangerous.

So, having emotion is good, as long as you have some control over them, and understand their place in decision making and relationship building. Not recognizing the role that emotion can play in your life is to live in drama and have less access to wisdom.
ConservativeAmerican
Posts: 1,676
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 8:18:06 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/4/2013 7:39:45 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:
Emotionless, as in prejudice place upon certain culture i.e. German are emotionless, Far East people are not tend to display emotion, French are more reserve etc. (the last one is kind of mix reception, but I did hear someone who claim the French are, especially to traveler).

Prejudice such as this should be taken as compliment or insult? I know it the end it is up to how you think it is but I would rather hear of what do you think when it is actually apply to specific culture, not a person.

So being emotionless, good or bad?

Depends on what you want to do in life. If you want to get in to politics, being emotionless is good, you won't have to worry about nonsensical subjectivity standing in your way. <3
suttichart.denpruektham
Posts: 1,115
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 8:26:04 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/4/2013 8:18:06 AM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
At 6/4/2013 7:39:45 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:
Emotionless, as in prejudice place upon certain culture i.e. German are emotionless, Far East people are not tend to display emotion, French are more reserve etc. (the last one is kind of mix reception, but I did hear someone who claim the French are, especially to traveler).

Prejudice such as this should be taken as compliment or insult? I know it the end it is up to how you think it is but I would rather hear of what do you think when it is actually apply to specific culture, not a person.

So being emotionless, good or bad?

Depends on what you want to do in life. If you want to get in to politics, being emotionless is good, you won't have to worry about nonsensical subjectivity standing in your way. <3

Funny that I thought exactly the opposite. You need passion in order to convince people of your policy I would rather think that the lack of emotion is more suite the task that deal more with pure logic, financier, engineer, accountant and such.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 8:28:13 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/4/2013 8:26:04 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:
At 6/4/2013 8:18:06 AM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
At 6/4/2013 7:39:45 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:
Emotionless, as in prejudice place upon certain culture i.e. German are emotionless, Far East people are not tend to display emotion, French are more reserve etc. (the last one is kind of mix reception, but I did hear someone who claim the French are, especially to traveler).

Prejudice such as this should be taken as compliment or insult? I know it the end it is up to how you think it is but I would rather hear of what do you think when it is actually apply to specific culture, not a person.

So being emotionless, good or bad?

Depends on what you want to do in life. If you want to get in to politics, being emotionless is good, you won't have to worry about nonsensical subjectivity standing in your way. <3

Funny that I thought exactly the opposite. You need passion in order to convince people of your policy I would rather think that the lack of emotion is more suite the task that deal more with pure logic, financier, engineer, accountant and such.

You need to fake passion to be a good politician.
suttichart.denpruektham
Posts: 1,115
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 8:30:52 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Personally I found the lack of emotion to be mush appreciate, to me at least. Regardless of the friendly reputation my people are, I am in general pretty mush reserve, and very mush dislike the overly display of emotion either with myself or the other. If it done by myself it show my lack of control over myself, if one by another it show the lack of discipline, both contribute to weakness and showing weakness in public is a shame.

That's why, for me at least, being prejudiced as emotionless is actually something I will take with pride, on the contrary being emotional is an accusation.
ConservativeAmerican
Posts: 1,676
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 8:32:26 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/4/2013 8:28:13 AM, innomen wrote:
At 6/4/2013 8:26:04 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:
At 6/4/2013 8:18:06 AM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
At 6/4/2013 7:39:45 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:
Emotionless, as in prejudice place upon certain culture i.e. German are emotionless, Far East people are not tend to display emotion, French are more reserve etc. (the last one is kind of mix reception, but I did hear someone who claim the French are, especially to traveler).

Prejudice such as this should be taken as compliment or insult? I know it the end it is up to how you think it is but I would rather hear of what do you think when it is actually apply to specific culture, not a person.

So being emotionless, good or bad?

Depends on what you want to do in life. If you want to get in to politics, being emotionless is good, you won't have to worry about nonsensical subjectivity standing in your way. <3

Funny that I thought exactly the opposite. You need passion in order to convince people of your policy I would rather think that the lack of emotion is more suite the task that deal more with pure logic, financier, engineer, accountant and such.

You need to fake passion to be a good politician.

^
leojm
Posts: 1,825
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 8:42:09 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I still have feelings, it's just not so many of them, and those feelings are towards a particular person, but over all I'm like I don't care type of person. It's just my Russian in me, can't help it. :P
suttichart.denpruektham
Posts: 1,115
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 9:21:34 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/4/2013 8:42:09 AM, leojm wrote:
I still have feelings, it's just not so many of them, and those feelings are towards a particular person, but over all I'm like I don't care type of person. It's just my Russian in me, can't help it. :P

You're from Russia?

Pardon me but I thought Russian people are rather passionate. May be I am wrong, the only idea I have about Russian culture came either from Rachmaninoff or Prokofiev, which rather emotional if you asked me :D
leojm
Posts: 1,825
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 9:25:50 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/4/2013 9:21:34 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:
At 6/4/2013 8:42:09 AM, leojm wrote:
I still have feelings, it's just not so many of them, and those feelings are towards a particular person, but over all I'm like I don't care type of person. It's just my Russian in me, can't help it. :P

You're from Russia?

Pardon me but I thought Russian people are rather passionate. May be I am wrong, the only idea I have about Russian culture came either from Rachmaninoff or Prokofiev, which rather emotional if you asked me :D

Yes, I'm full blooded Russian. I hate to break it to you, but we are not passionate. Those are some Russians but most are not passionate.
suttichart.denpruektham
Posts: 1,115
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 9:36:29 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Frankness is appreciate.

Well I guest may be it has something to do with the climate. from the look of it the colder it is, the colder the people.

Still, I often found myself to be found of coldness, both for the climate and the people.
leojm
Posts: 1,825
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 9:43:12 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/4/2013 9:36:29 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:
Frankness is appreciate.

Well I guest may be it has something to do with the climate. from the look of it the colder it is, the colder the people.

Still, I often found myself to be found of coldness, both for the climate and the people.

oooooh, no. I don't know what's up with you Americans thinking it's always winter in Russia. We have seasons like you do. Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring. I can assure you it's nothing to do with the weather. We are just like that. Can't help it. :P
suttichart.denpruektham
Posts: 1,115
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 9:52:23 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/4/2013 9:43:12 AM, leojm wrote:
At 6/4/2013 9:36:29 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:
Frankness is appreciate.

Well I guest may be it has something to do with the climate. from the look of it the colder it is, the colder the people.

Still, I often found myself to be found of coldness, both for the climate and the people.

oooooh, no. I don't know what's up with you Americans thinking it's always winter in Russia. We have seasons like you do. Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring. I can assure you it's nothing to do with the weather. We are just like that. Can't help it. :P

Wrong guest, I am not an American, English is not even my first language. I can tell you that even your "summer" is probably colder than winter in my country.

But of course that's is a joke, it just seem like most global prejudice will seem to consider colder region = colder people., you know German, Scandinavian, Russian..
leojm
Posts: 1,825
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 9:55:21 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/4/2013 9:52:23 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:
At 6/4/2013 9:43:12 AM, leojm wrote:
At 6/4/2013 9:36:29 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:
Frankness is appreciate.

Well I guest may be it has something to do with the climate. from the look of it the colder it is, the colder the people.

Still, I often found myself to be found of coldness, both for the climate and the people.

oooooh, no. I don't know what's up with you Americans thinking it's always winter in Russia. We have seasons like you do. Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring. I can assure you it's nothing to do with the weather. We are just like that. Can't help it. :P

Wrong guest, I am not an American, English is not even my first language. I can tell you that even your "summer" is probably colder than winter in my country.

But of course that's is a joke, it just seem like most global prejudice will seem to consider colder region = colder people., you know German, Scandinavian, Russian..

Yes I see what you are getting at. But no our summers get up to 98 degrees. Our weather is perfectly normal. I think we are cold because we have had leaders that were brutal to us and our society, so maybe that's the reason. I'm not sure. :/
Mysterious_Stranger
Posts: 1,562
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 10:14:49 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Being emotionless is probably the best way to go about your business, showing any kind of emotion to anyone you do not know is never a good idea.
Turn around, go back.
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 10:21:46 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I would ultimately say bad. I tend to see expressiveness of emotions as an ultimate good, and a key means of connecting with others. I find Stoicism as a personality trait very isolating.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
leojm
Posts: 1,825
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 10:30:46 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/4/2013 10:14:49 AM, Mysterious_Stranger wrote:
Being emotionless is probably the best way to go about your business, showing any kind of emotion to anyone you do not know is never a good idea.

Yes that's true. I never show emotions to people I don't know.
suttichart.denpruektham
Posts: 1,115
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 1:34:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/4/2013 9:55:21 AM, leojm wrote:
At 6/4/2013 9:52:23 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:
At 6/4/2013 9:43:12 AM, leojm wrote:
At 6/4/2013 9:36:29 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:
Frankness is appreciate.

Well I guest may be it has something to do with the climate. from the look of it the colder it is, the colder the people.

Still, I often found myself to be found of coldness, both for the climate and the people.

oooooh, no. I don't know what's up with you Americans thinking it's always winter in Russia. We have seasons like you do. Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring. I can assure you it's nothing to do with the weather. We are just like that. Can't help it. :P

Wrong guest, I am not an American, English is not even my first language. I can tell you that even your "summer" is probably colder than winter in my country.

But of course that's is a joke, it just seem like most global prejudice will seem to consider colder region = colder people., you know German, Scandinavian, Russian..

Yes I see what you are getting at. But no our summers get up to 98 degrees. Our weather is perfectly normal. I think we are cold because we have had leaders that were brutal to us and our society, so maybe that's the reason. I'm not sure. :/

Well that's the different, your is up to 98, mine is on average 98, 100 and above is also quite common. You know, tropical country. :D
suttichart.denpruektham
Posts: 1,115
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 1:36:55 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/4/2013 10:14:49 AM, Mysterious_Stranger wrote:
Being emotionless is probably the best way to go about your business, showing any kind of emotion to anyone you do not know is never a good idea.

It depend on who you are doing business with, for someone and in some culture, showing emotion is a good way to get some progress or sincerity. I tend to keep cold face at all time when conducting business negotiation. But some of my college tend to be emotional, specially when thing turn against him, and with the right timing this can be very effective.
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 8:17:26 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
The point isn't to not have emotions, in my opinion. It's to align them with reasonable interests through self-examination and reflection.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 8:48:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/4/2013 7:39:45 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:
Emotionless, as in prejudice place upon certain culture i.e. German are emotionless, Far East people are not tend to display emotion, French are more reserve etc. (the last one is kind of mix reception, but I did hear someone who claim the French are, especially to traveler).

Prejudice such as this should be taken as compliment or insult? I know it the end it is up to how you think it is but I would rather hear of what do you think when it is actually apply to specific culture, not a person.

So being emotionless, good or bad?

It depends on the role/situation. I want an actor to be able to express emotion, but I don't want a president or a prime minister who goes to war with a country only because he's upset that their visiting prime minister spilled a glass of water on the president's lap.
Tsar of DDO
suttichart.denpruektham
Posts: 1,115
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 5:36:44 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/4/2013 8:17:26 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
The point isn't to not have emotions, in my opinion. It's to align them with reasonable interests through self-examination and reflection.

more with reflection than self-examination. Actually people always have emotion, that is part of our nature. However, not every culture or personal attitude will favour the explicit display of it in public. I for one doesn't like it.

Point is if you have been perceived as one who do not freely display emotion, is that a pride or shame to you.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 10:46:32 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/4/2013 7:52:37 AM, innomen wrote:
Stoicism is good, and helpful to a large extent. To understand the power that lies in emotion, and that acting out of "feelings" is dangerous, is important. To be blatantly cold, and without any sense of passion about anything is not so good, and can ignore any sense of empathy or sympathy is also dangerous.

So, having emotion is good, as long as you have some control over them, and understand their place in decision making and relationship building. Not recognizing the role that emotion can play in your life is to live in drama and have less access to wisdom.

Looks like the thread has been solved, lets move on to the next one.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Buddamoose
Posts: 19,448
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 11:09:01 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 10:46:32 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 6/4/2013 7:52:37 AM, innomen wrote:
Stoicism is good, and helpful to a large extent. To understand the power that lies in emotion, and that acting out of "feelings" is dangerous, is important. To be blatantly cold, and without any sense of passion about anything is not so good, and can ignore any sense of empathy or sympathy is also dangerous.

So, having emotion is good, as long as you have some control over them, and understand their place in decision making and relationship building. Not recognizing the role that emotion can play in your life is to live in drama and have less access to wisdom.

Looks like the thread has been solved, lets move on to the next one.

http://amigalove14.deviantart.com...
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion