Jump to topic:

symbols

cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2013 3:56:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
so i can think of countless times where things have been banned or people ridiculed just because of a symbol that relates to a something thought of as bad.
example: there was a pokemon card that had to be recalled because it had the swastika on it when it means something entirely different.

so why do we have to do this?
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2013 5:23:47 PM
Because the people who decide whether to ban things are the people who need support from the loudest and least sophisticated yokels of any given community.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2013 5:25:51 PM
A Mayoral candidate from my home region once had to apologize at length for calling a fiscally-conservative black opponent "niggardly."
Graincruncher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2013 5:36:10 PM
How magnificently racist of him. I'm not sure that racial inequality is a symbol though, much less one anyone should care about being discouraged.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2013 10:37:31 PM
At 6/5/2013 5:36:10 PM, Graincruncher wrote:
How magnificently racist of him. I'm not sure that racial inequality is a symbol though, much less one anyone should care about being discouraged.

Um, the point is that the term 'niggardly' has nothing to do with race. It's a word for a miser or generally stingy person which simply sounds similar to another, much more insulting word.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2013 11:19:13 PM
At 6/5/2013 11:15:29 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
I do find the etymology involved fascinating:

http://en.wikipedia.org...

I love this: http://news.google.com...
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2013 11:32:40 PM
At 6/5/2013 3:56:05 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
so i can think of countless times where things have been banned or people ridiculed just because of a symbol that relates to a something thought of as bad.
example: there was a pokemon card that had to be recalled because it had the swastika on it when it means something entirely different.

The swastika is everywhere, man:
https://maps.google.com...
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 12:35:02 AM
At 6/5/2013 11:32:40 PM, drhead wrote:

The swastika is everywhere, man:
https://maps.google.com...

That, and the fact that a backwards swastika is a religious symbol used for thousands of years.

Says a lot that the best english language that the easiest way to describe the symbol is "backwards swastika."
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 1:56:32 AM
Symbols absolutely rule every facet of human life. Every one of us is completely obsessed with them. It is the only thing which separates us from the animals, for better or worse.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 5:37:46 AM
At 6/6/2013 1:56:32 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Symbols absolutely rule every facet of human life. Every one of us is completely obsessed with them. It is the only thing which separates us from the animals, for better or worse.

I'm not sure what you mean here, could you expound on this?
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 9:55:46 AM

Yes. We use symbols everyday.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 12:59:42 PM
so this is the picture

http://i22.ebayimg.com...
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 4:43:47 PM
At 6/6/2013 5:37:46 AM, muzebreak wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean here, could you expound on this?

The ability to understand symbolism is a singularity in intelligence. Language is it's more obvious form. But it reaches further than that. Everything we understand about the world is understood through symbolism.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 9:49:44 PM
At 6/5/2013 5:25:51 PM, Wnope wrote:
A Mayoral candidate from my home region once had to apologize at length for calling a fiscally-conservative black opponent "niggardly."

Can I just take a moment and bask in the glory of how hilarious that situation is?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 9:58:44 PM
At 6/5/2013 5:25:51 PM, Wnope wrote:

He did it on purpose. No one uses the word "niggardly" anymore. That cheeky c*nt knew what he was doing.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2013 12:06:23 AM

It is programmed into our brains. Our brains are designed to recognize patterns and associations, with a fundamental focus on things which may potentially be hazardous. After, whether logical or not, when it comes to survival (which is what our genes have been focused on for millions of years), it is better safe than sorry.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"