Total Posts:19|Showing Posts:1-19
Jump to topic:

We're All Racists and Sexists!

Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 2:32:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
http://24.media.tumblr.com...

Who get's in the most trouble, who do people assume is a bike thief, who do people assume is doing nothing wrong? White guy, black guy, or white girl?
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 2:34:24 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'm not.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 2:41:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
The white kid was better at evasively but truthfully answering.

I'd call the cops on either, but I live in a college town. Bike thieves everywhere.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 4:02:43 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 2:32:52 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:


http://24.media.tumblr.com...

Who get's in the most trouble, who do people
assume is a bike thief, who do people assume is doing nothing wrong? White guy, black guy, or white girl?

While I fully agree that its possible that the differences in response can be do to racism, it should be noted that although the speaker says they dress "similarly", there's actually a huge difference in response one gets whether one is dressed in blue (the white guy) vs. red (the black guy).

http://www.psychologytoday.com...

http://www.degruyter.com...
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
PrivateEye
Posts: 972
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 4:05:51 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Seriously though, there's nothing very informative about this. We all know this. But allow me to lend a bit of context: http://www.washingtonpost.com...
Hey, Americans are among the least racist people in the world! Who'd have thought? The thing is though, the above link refers to overt racism, and doesn't tackle insidious racism like in the video at all. But again, context. America is a rather peaceful land, no bordering countries and thus never very threatened. And the see Europe and more turbulent areas for contrast. Not surprising, they're more overtly racist.

Your post is bad. It's shaming tactics or worse. Without providing any insight into why people are how they are, they might consider it perfectly natural and perhaps even God's will in some cases. It's not about ad-homs and beating people into submission, it's about helping people grow. Pretty much no one gets this on this site.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 4:06:34 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
That makes me sad. But this isn't to say that we're bad people. I think that people learn to trust what they're familiar with and distrust the unknown. I'm sure any kind of public unusual activity by a white person in any other non-white country would arouse a similar suspicion. I'm not saying that makes it justified, but at least it makes a disgusting quality of our collective nature, and not that of any particular group of people.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
PrivateEye
Posts: 972
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 4:07:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Also yeah, red is antagonistic and blue is for influence. That's very interesting, darkkermit.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 4:08:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 4:02:43 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 6/8/2013 2:32:52 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:


http://24.media.tumblr.com...

Who get's in the most trouble, who do people
assume is a bike thief, who do people assume is doing nothing wrong? White guy, black guy, or white girl?

While I fully agree that its possible that the differences in response can be do to racism, it should be noted that although the speaker says they dress "similarly", there's actually a huge difference in response one gets whether one is dressed in blue (the white guy) vs. red (the black guy).

http://www.psychologytoday.com...

http://www.degruyter.com...

lol is that even worth mentioning DK? I'd respect your opinions more if you just admitted that this was flat out discrimination.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
PrivateEye
Posts: 972
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 4:10:34 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 4:06:34 PM, 000ike wrote:
That makes me sad. But this isn't to say that we're bad people. I think that people learn to trust what they're familiar with and distrust the unknown. I'm sure any kind of public unusual activity by a white person in any other non-white country would arouse a similar suspicion. I'm not saying that makes it justified, but at least it makes a disgusting quality of our collective nature, and not that of any particular group of people.

This was a nonsense post. This is exactly what I was talking about in my post: explaining it away as natural and thus acceptable. Read my post please.
PrivateEye
Posts: 972
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 4:14:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 4:08:35 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 6/8/2013 4:02:43 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 6/8/2013 2:32:52 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:


http://24.media.tumblr.com...

Who get's in the most trouble, who do people
assume is a bike thief, who do people assume is doing nothing wrong? White guy, black guy, or white girl?

While I fully agree that its possible that the differences in response can be do to racism, it should be noted that although the speaker says they dress "similarly", there's actually a huge difference in response one gets whether one is dressed in blue (the white guy) vs. red (the black guy).

http://www.psychologytoday.com...

http://www.degruyter.com...

lol is that even worth mentioning DK? I'd respect your opinions more if you just admitted that this was flat out discrimination.

Yeah, it probably wasn't. But it's still a funny little quirk to the video.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 4:14:42 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 4:10:34 PM, PrivateEye wrote:
At 6/8/2013 4:06:34 PM, 000ike wrote:
That makes me sad. But this isn't to say that we're bad people. I think that people learn to trust what they're familiar with and distrust the unknown. I'm sure any kind of public unusual activity by a white person in any other non-white country would arouse a similar suspicion. I'm not saying that makes it justified, but at least it makes a disgusting quality of our collective nature, and not that of any particular group of people.

This was a nonsense post. This is exactly what I was talking about in my post: explaining it away as natural and thus acceptable. Read my post please.

lol well I can see you didn't really carefully read my post, so why shouldn't I give yours the same treatment?

Why don't you re-read what I wrote, read your response, and then try again.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 4:15:59 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 4:08:35 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 6/8/2013 4:02:43 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 6/8/2013 2:32:52 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:


http://24.media.tumblr.com...

Who get's in the most trouble, who do people
assume is a bike thief, who do people assume is doing nothing wrong? White guy, black guy, or white girl?

While I fully agree that its possible that the differences in response can be do to racism, it should be noted that although the speaker says they dress "similarly", there's actually a huge difference in response one gets whether one is dressed in blue (the white guy) vs. red (the black guy).

http://www.psychologytoday.com...

http://www.degruyter.com...

lol is that even worth mentioning DK? I'd respect your opinions more if you just admitted that this was flat out discrimination.

So I should hold this to 100% validity even though the experiment was slopply done? I think the experiment would work out pretty similarly if they wore the same color, but I'm not 100% sure (Or the effect might not have been as large).
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 4:18:39 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
@Privateeye:

I'm saying that the discrimination is wrong, but it doesn't mean that white people specifically are bad people because we can expect similar behavior among other societies with a specific racial majority. This behavior is part of human nature and we should address it from that angle rather than blaming it on the majority race of the most diverse country in the world and therefore among whom such behavior is most likely to be exhibited.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
PrivateEye
Posts: 972
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 4:18:58 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 4:14:42 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 6/8/2013 4:10:34 PM, PrivateEye wrote:
At 6/8/2013 4:06:34 PM, 000ike wrote:
That makes me sad. But this isn't to say that we're bad people. I think that people learn to trust what they're familiar with and distrust the unknown. I'm sure any kind of public unusual activity by a white person in any other non-white country would arouse a similar suspicion. I'm not saying that makes it justified, but at least it makes a disgusting quality of our collective nature, and not that of any particular group of people.

This was a nonsense post. This is exactly what I was talking about in my post: explaining it away as natural and thus acceptable. Read my post please.

lol well I can see you didn't really carefully read my post, so why shouldn't I give yours the same treatment?

Why don't you re-read what I wrote, read your response, and then try again.

I read it. It was pretty bland and seemingly more to allow for racism with that little bit about "distrusting the unknown" rather than to combat against it. And then there was the rest of it, putting forward the rest of the world as just as bad as Americans and that made it all right.
PrivateEye
Posts: 972
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 4:22:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 4:18:39 PM, 000ike wrote:
@Privateeye:

I'm saying that the discrimination is wrong, but it doesn't mean that white people specifically are bad people because we can expect similar behavior among other societies with a specific racial majority. This behavior is part of human nature and we should address it from that angle rather than blaming it on the majority race of the most diverse country in the world and therefore among whom such behavior is most likely to be exhibited.

Meh. This post is more to my liking, but the last one was certainly predicated on defending yourself. Maybe WSA's primarily at fault there though. This sh*t is not conducive to growth.
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 8:36:43 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 4:06:34 PM, 000ike wrote:
That makes me sad. But this isn't to say that we're bad people. I think that people learn to trust what they're familiar with and distrust the unknown. I'm sure any kind of public unusual activity by a white person in any other non-white country would arouse a similar suspicion. I'm not saying that makes it justified, but at least it makes a disgusting quality of our collective nature, and not that of any particular group of people.

You bring up a good point. I'd like to see this experiment done again in a predominantly black community to see if the results are reversed.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 8:44:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I do think that DK raises an interesting idea--that of color psychology. I don't suggest it was in really any capacity the primary factor in the people's behaviors, but I do agree that the only way to say that they're dressed the same is to literally have them wear the same outfits. Otherwise it isn't a true experiment (and yes I know that this isn't an actual experiment, but still).
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2013 11:46:43 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
The black guy was wearing different clothes than the white guy. He was wearing baggy clothes with a tilted hat, commonly perceived as gangster clothing. If the white guy was wearing a wifebeater and the black guy was in a suit, the outcome would have been different.

The female looked like a rich suburban girl who fit in with the locals. This social experiment is highly flawed, in fact it almost looks intentionally skewed.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat