Total Posts:51|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Linguistic Differences

AlbinoBunny
Posts: 3,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 2:22:16 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I love crayfish sticks.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 3:47:42 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Maikuru and I are going through all of these on Skype and arguing with each other.

He thinks "bought" and "cot" are pronounced differently lololololol
yang.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 3:53:46 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/16/2013 3:47:42 PM, tulle wrote:
Maikuru and I are going through all of these on Skype and arguing with each other.

He thinks "bought" and "cot" are pronounced differently lololololol

Let's say you were fishing and hooked a small bed. You'd say you caught a cot. If you're saying those words the same, you're wrong, I'm sorry.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Noumena
Posts: 6,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 4:46:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/16/2013 3:53:46 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 6/16/2013 3:47:42 PM, tulle wrote:
Maikuru and I are going through all of these on Skype and arguing with each other.

He thinks "bought" and "cot" are pronounced differently lololololol

Let's say you were fishing and hooked a small bed. You'd say you caught a cot. If you're saying those words the same, you're wrong, I'm sorry.

I agree with Tulle. No discernible difference between how to pronounce the two words. Of course I can admit there isn't too much rhyme or reason for this. It's just how I pronounce them.

Maikuru, I think you should let Tulle be with someone a little more compatible ;)
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Noumena
Posts: 6,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 4:48:11 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/16/2013 11:22:35 AM, 1Historygenius wrote:
I thought these maps were cool.

http://www.businessinsider.com...

I remember looking through those a week or so ago and getting angry because the city I live in is basically a huge anomaly linguistically speaking.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Eitan_Zohar
Posts: 2,697
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 4:56:19 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/16/2013 4:46:50 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 6/16/2013 3:53:46 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 6/16/2013 3:47:42 PM, tulle wrote:
Maikuru and I are going through all of these on Skype and arguing with each other.

He thinks "bought" and "cot" are pronounced differently lololololol

Let's say you were fishing and hooked a small bed. You'd say you caught a cot. If you're saying those words the same, you're wrong, I'm sorry.

I agree with Tulle. No discernible difference between how to pronounce the two words. Of course I can admit there isn't too much rhyme or reason for this. It's just how I pronounce them.

Maikuru, I think you should let Tulle be with someone a little more compatible ;)

Where are you from? Are you Canadian?
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Noumena
Posts: 6,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 4:57:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/16/2013 4:56:19 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 6/16/2013 4:46:50 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 6/16/2013 3:53:46 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 6/16/2013 3:47:42 PM, tulle wrote:
Maikuru and I are going through all of these on Skype and arguing with each other.

He thinks "bought" and "cot" are pronounced differently lololololol

Let's say you were fishing and hooked a small bed. You'd say you caught a cot. If you're saying those words the same, you're wrong, I'm sorry.

I agree with Tulle. No discernible difference between how to pronounce the two words. Of course I can admit there isn't too much rhyme or reason for this. It's just how I pronounce them.

Maikuru, I think you should let Tulle be with someone a little more compatible ;)

Where are you from? Are you Canadian?

I'm from Tennessee originally but live in Florida.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 5:16:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
A large amount of people don't say sneakers? Really?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 5:23:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/16/2013 4:46:50 PM, Noumena wrote:

I agree with Tulle. No discernible difference between how to pronounce the two words. Of course I can admit there isn't too much rhyme or reason for this. It's just how I pronounce them.

Maikuru, I think you should let Tulle be with someone a little more compatible ;)

Haha :p Though in Maikuru's defense, he does have some red hairs in his beard?
yang.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 9:32:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/16/2013 5:16:23 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
A large amount of people don't say sneakers? Really?

I, and everyone I know, usually call them tennis shoes. However, we know tennis shoes and sneakers are the same things.
My work here is, finally, done.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 9:34:12 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/16/2013 3:53:46 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 6/16/2013 3:47:42 PM, tulle wrote:
Maikuru and I are going through all of these on Skype and arguing with each other.

He thinks "bought" and "cot" are pronounced differently lololololol

Let's say you were fishing and hooked a small bed. You'd say you caught a cot. If you're saying those words the same, you're wrong, I'm sorry.

If had been out shopping at a marine store, would you have bought a boat? Are these pronounced the same to you?

How else would you pronounce bought, if not "bot" or "bough-t" (i.e. boat)?
My work here is, finally, done.
AlbinoBunny
Posts: 3,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2013 1:29:10 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/16/2013 9:34:12 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 6/16/2013 3:53:46 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 6/16/2013 3:47:42 PM, tulle wrote:
Maikuru and I are going through all of these on Skype and arguing with each other.

He thinks "bought" and "cot" are pronounced differently lololololol

Let's say you were fishing and hooked a small bed. You'd say you caught a cot. If you're saying those words the same, you're wrong, I'm sorry.

If had been out shopping at a marine store, would you have bought a boat? Are these pronounced the same to you?

How else would you pronounce bought, if not "bot" or "bough-t" (i.e. boat)?

I caught (court) a cot (cot), then someone bought (bort) it off me. :P
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2013 3:33:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
He says "bot", "bought", and "boat" all differently.

To me, bot, bought, fought, cot, robot, caught, lot, are all the same lol. Boat is different.
yang.
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2013 3:44:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/17/2013 3:33:04 PM, tulle wrote:
He says "bot", "bought", and "boat" all differently.

To me, bot, bought, fought, cot, robot, caught, lot, are all the same lol. Boat is different.

Bought and caught are the same to me, so are cot and bot. However, cot does not equal caught and bot does not equal bought.

I love little linguistic differences. It would be boring if we all spoke the same.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2013 3:46:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/16/2013 9:34:12 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 6/16/2013 3:53:46 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 6/16/2013 3:47:42 PM, tulle wrote:
Maikuru and I are going through all of these on Skype and arguing with each other.

He thinks "bought" and "cot" are pronounced differently lololololol

Let's say you were fishing and hooked a small bed. You'd say you caught a cot. If you're saying those words the same, you're wrong, I'm sorry.

If had been out shopping at a marine store, would you have bought a boat? Are these pronounced the same to you?

How else would you pronounce bought, if not "bot" or "bough-t" (i.e. boat)?

Bought = Bawwt (imagine saying aww like you see something cute).
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2013 3:48:10 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/17/2013 3:33:04 PM, tulle wrote:
He says "bot", "bought", and "boat" all differently.

To me, bot, bought, fought, cot, robot, caught, lot, are all the same lol. Boat is different.

Bot = Cot = Lot = Robot

Bought = Fought = Caught

Boat = Moat = Float

Vowel combinations for the win!
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2013 3:48:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/17/2013 3:44:05 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Bought and caught are the same to me, so are cot and bot. However, cot does not equal caught and bot does not equal bought.


Yeah, I'm only talking about pronunciation, not the meanings.

I love little linguistic differences. It would be boring if we all spoke the same.
yang.
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2013 3:50:19 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/17/2013 3:48:10 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 6/17/2013 3:33:04 PM, tulle wrote:
He says "bot", "bought", and "boat" all differently.

To me, bot, bought, fought, cot, robot, caught, lot, are all the same lol. Boat is different.

Bot = Cot = Lot = Robot

Bought = Fought = Caught

Boat = Moat = Float

Vowel combinations for the win!

Like New Joysee right? :p
yang.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2013 3:56:33 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/17/2013 3:50:19 PM, tulle wrote:
At 6/17/2013 3:48:10 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 6/17/2013 3:33:04 PM, tulle wrote:
He says "bot", "bought", and "boat" all differently.

To me, bot, bought, fought, cot, robot, caught, lot, are all the same lol. Boat is different.

Bot = Cot = Lot = Robot

Bought = Fought = Caught

Boat = Moat = Float

Vowel combinations for the win!

Like New Joysee right? :p

/relationship
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2013 4:09:51 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/17/2013 3:48:40 PM, tulle wrote:
At 6/17/2013 3:44:05 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Bought and caught are the same to me, so are cot and bot. However, cot does not equal caught and bot does not equal bought.


Yeah, I'm only talking about pronunciation, not the meanings.

That's what I mean.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
AlbinoBunny
Posts: 3,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2013 4:40:51 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/17/2013 3:48:10 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 6/17/2013 3:33:04 PM, tulle wrote:
He says "bot", "bought", and "boat" all differently.

To me, bot, bought, fought, cot, robot, caught, lot, are all the same lol. Boat is different.

Bot = Cot = Lot = Robot

Bought = Fought = Caught

Boat = Moat = Float

Vowel combinations for the win!
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
AlbinoBunny
Posts: 3,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2013 4:55:09 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/17/2013 4:48:59 PM, tulle wrote:
@Albinobunny--where are you from?

England.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2013 5:06:07 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/17/2013 4:55:09 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
At 6/17/2013 4:48:59 PM, tulle wrote:
@Albinobunny--where are you from?

England.

Ahh that makes sense.
yang.
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2013 5:07:58 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/17/2013 1:29:10 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:

I caught (court) a cot (cot), then someone bought (bort) it off me. :P

I just realized you were being serious here? You say "caught" and "court" the same? Love it :p
yang.
AlbinoBunny
Posts: 3,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2013 5:19:01 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/17/2013 5:07:58 PM, tulle wrote:
At 6/17/2013 1:29:10 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:

I caught (court) a cot (cot), then someone bought (bort) it off me. :P

I just realized you were being serious here? You say "caught" and "court" the same? Love it :p

LOL, it's terrible, but true.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!