Speaking Smee

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2013 8:36:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Smee is a language like no other.

Now, I didn't invent Smee, my friend did. But when I heard him having a complete Smee conversation with another friend, I fell in love with it. I don't know it as well as they do, but I'll share what I understand about how it basically works.

RULES OF SMEE
1. There are no rules.
2. You can add new rules and ignore others.
3. Communication is based on intuition and not formal structure.
4. Words can have various meanings.
5. Sentences are stripped to the basics of communicating.
6. Sign language and tone also play an important part.
7. Some words are created spontaneously.
8. Memorized-words act like memes and spread to people.
9. Classifications like "verb" and "noun" are often vague and a word can be either.
10. We already use Smee, to a degree.

Here's some examples of what I mean by the language being "intuitive" and not "structural":
To say "dog", I could say "bark".
"Meh" can express a lot of things. From "not really" to "I don't care".
"Ya" would likely mean "yes", while "yaaaaaaaa", depending on your tone, could mean "Right on!" or "Yeah right, I'm not sure about that".

Words like "but", "are", "am", "is", "the", etc, are stripped from the language or perhaps replaced with a word that could mean several of them. You say the least possible for communicating the thought. If you can't find a way to have it make sense with what you have, you can create a new word or concept.

A great thing about the kind of smee my friends have is how it sounds. Most of the words are one syllable and often end with common sounds, like "ee" and "oo". It gives a certain feel to it. They'll say things like "eh mee aah smee eee". Which I can't translate for you. It could mean a lot of things. They use the word "smee" to generally speak about anything relating to the language itself or the use of it.

So how do you speak Smee? However you want. You can make any word. However, trends and intuition are important for making it really work. If you just make up a bunch of gibberish, no one is going to know what you're talking about. However, if the words are intuitive or you spread an explanation, then people will actually be able to use those same words to communicate back with you.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2013 8:37:44 PM
At 6/26/2013 3:44:37 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 6/25/2013 8:22:11 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
Question mark.

Exclamation point!

DON'T YOU SAY THAT, MY MOTHER IS A GOOD WOMAN
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 10:28:47 PM
In a personal setting, amongst friends, I could see this working well. On the internet, where 90% of your communicative methods (i.e., body language and tone of voice) are eliminated, coupled with a lack of a strong social bond on such a lifeless medium such as this, your ability to implement it here is going to be completely futile. Such a method is based on intuition and understanding the habits, mannerisms, and personalities of the people around you.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 1:20:17 AM
At 6/27/2013 10:28:47 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
In a personal setting, amongst friends, I could see this working well. On the internet, where 90% of your communicative methods (i.e., body language and tone of voice) are eliminated, coupled with a lack of a strong social bond on such a lifeless medium such as this, your ability to implement it here is going to be completely futile. Such a method is based on intuition and understanding the habits, mannerisms, and personalities of the people around you.

Very right.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 7:55:12 AM
Pig.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 6:50:49 PM
Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2013 1:48:43 PM
At 6/28/2013 6:50:49 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?

When about is four are gone that so far, probably half of whereas one goes to in that case.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2013 10:55:22 PM
At 6/29/2013 1:48:43 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
At 6/28/2013 6:50:49 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

When about is four are gone that so far, probably half of whereas one goes to in that case.

For if to by water as in goes 42 essentially?
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder