Jump to topic:

SPCA is a lie

Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 2:08:53 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I saw a TV ad recently pleading for a donation of 18 dollars a month lifetime donation.

They only care about human-looking animals.

The real animal abuse is artificially forcing sickly mutants like the pug to exist just because they look like your relatives.

http://www.pugvillage.com...
Citrakayah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 2:30:11 PM
At 7/2/2013 2:08:53 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
I saw a TV ad recently pleading for a donation of 18 dollars a month lifetime donation.

The real animal abuse is artificially forcing sickly mutants like the pug to exist just because they look like your relatives.

Care to explain how a mixed-breed kitten is forcing a sickly mutant to exist just because they look like our relatives?

Really, this makes no sense. To follow your 'logic':

Proposition 1: The SPCA recently asked for donations.
Proposition 2: Pugs exist.
Proposition 3: Pugs have many genetic problems.
Conclusion 1: Breeding pugs is immoral.
Conclusion 2: The SPCA is a lie!!1!
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 2:31:29 PM
At 7/2/2013 2:30:11 PM, Citrakayah wrote:

Care to explain how a mixed-breed kitten is forcing a sickly mutant to exist just because they look like our relatives?

I'm assuming this was a troll post, considering not all pugs are "sickly mutants".
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 2:31:56 PM
At 7/2/2013 2:30:11 PM, Citrakayah wrote:

http://www.mnn.com...
Citrakayah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 2:34:44 PM
Yes, well, it's really quite hard to tell if Greyparrot is just some idiotic troll who thinks he's amusing and thinking to himself 'Hur hur hur' before his brain dribbles out of his left ear, or if he actually believes the utter tripe he posts.

And yes, Greyparrot, cats have human-like emotions. Most animals do. Are you going to argue that we should not allow elephants to reproduce, since they can feel grief?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 2:37:39 PM
At 7/2/2013 2:31:29 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

I'm assuming this was a troll post, considering not all pugs are "sickly mutants".

https://www.youtube.com...

Give me a break, look at that video and tell me that SPCA doesn't parade only human looking dogs and cats for money. SPCA is a lie because they only care about a select .01% of all animals.
Citrakayah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 2:42:41 PM
At 7/2/2013 2:37:39 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 7/2/2013 2:31:29 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com...

Give me a break, look at that video and tell me that SPCA doesn't parade only human looking dogs and cats for money. SPCA is a lie because they only care about a select .01% of all animals.

I should certainly hope the creature at :13 doesn't look anything like me... around :20 there are golden retrievers... :33 doesn't look anything like me; my ears are smaller... :39 has whiskers and people don't...

Shall I go on?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 2:43:30 PM
At 7/2/2013 2:34:44 PM, Citrakayah wrote:
Yes, well, it's really quite hard to tell if Greyparrot is just some idiotic troll who thinks he's amusing and thinking to himself 'Hur hur hur' before his brain dribbles out of his left ear, or if he actually believes the utter tripe he posts.

And yes, Greyparrot, cats have human-like emotions. Most animals do. Are you going to argue that we should not allow elephants to reproduce, since they can feel grief?

That's not the point. The point is SPCA is a very exclusionary animal club when asking for money on TV.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 2:46:16 PM
At 7/2/2013 2:43:30 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 7/2/2013 2:34:44 PM, Citrakayah wrote:

That's not the point. The point is SPCA is a very exclusionary animal club when asking for money on TV.

You don't think that's part of marketing their organization? I mean, I'm not going to bother watching your video, because it doesn't matter. That they use animals they think will get more money, doesn't mean they don't ALSO help the "less cute" ones.

Should they be less effective just to conform to your idea of "honesty"? Or do they need to show ALL animals they might possibly advocate for, and every ad will be hours long?
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 2:48:17 PM
And, for the record, my Chihuaha/Pomeranian mix has a far more human face than my pugs. Of course, they're all rescue dogs, though I suppose el loro gris thinks they should just be put to sleep...considering the SPCA doesn't breed or produce animals, but rather advocates to not be cruel to them.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 2:49:59 PM
At 7/2/2013 2:46:16 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

You don't think that's part of marketing their organization? I mean, I'm not going to bother watching your video, because it doesn't matter. That they use animals they think will get more money, doesn't mean they don't ALSO help the "less cute" ones.

Should they be less effective just to conform to your idea of "honesty"? Or do they need to show ALL animals they might possibly advocate for, and every ad will be hours long?

I suppose there is never any truth in advertising, but I fail to see why they should be allowed carry the animal label when they are actually a dog/cat club.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 2:54:15 PM
At 7/2/2013 2:49:59 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

I suppose there is never any truth in advertising, but I fail to see why they should be allowed carry the animal label when they are actually a dog/cat club.

They aren't. But do you really think that pets are LESS abused than animals in general? (Excluding factory farms, which is a battle lost long ago).
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 2:56:24 PM
At 7/2/2013 2:54:15 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

They aren't. But do you really think that pets are LESS abused than animals in general? (Excluding factory farms, which is a battle lost long ago).

You could convince me easily if you could link me any SPCA propaganda that has a non-cat/dog image.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 2:57:57 PM
At 7/2/2013 2:56:24 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 7/2/2013 2:54:15 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

You could convince me easily if you could link me any SPCA propaganda that has a non-cat/dog image.

Sorry, but that would be against the very nature of propaganda, assuming they think cats and dogs would be more effective.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 3:02:47 PM
Also, just to be clear, there is a difference between SPCA and ASPCA. (SPCA is a British-originally organization, ASPCA was founded later and is separate...and from what I know has a better history with use-of-funds)

Since your youtube post was an ASPCA video, here's this:

http://www.aspca.org...

In point of fact, the ASPCA was founded more to protect horses than standard household pets.

These days, horses enjoy a great deal of protections they never did before. And the ASPCA sill works to ensure that they are treated well.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 3:08:24 PM
At 7/2/2013 3:02:47 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
Also, just to be clear, there is a difference between SPCA and ASPCA. (SPCA is a British-originally organization, ASPCA was founded later and is separate...and from what I know has a better history with use-of-funds)

Since your youtube post was an ASPCA video, here's this:

http://www.aspca.org...

In point of fact, the ASPCA was founded more to protect horses than standard household pets.

These days, horses enjoy a great deal of protections they never did before. And the ASPCA sill works to ensure that they are treated well.

Ok, I'm convinced.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 3:20:41 PM
It's probably apocryphal, based on stories of him yelling at people abusing animals (such as here http://news.google.com... ), but I always liked the stories I heard of the founder of the ASPCA whipping people he saw abusing horses who wouldn't stop when he tried to get them to.
makesomesense
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 3:20:19 AM

If you would do some research instead of spouting nonsense you would find that ASPCA doesn't do much to support animals of any type. Very little of the millions of dollars donated actually benefits any animals. Many of the animals seen in those commercials after rescues are later euthanized. It is ridiculous that an organization that brings in the massive amounts of money the ASPCA does euthanizes so many animals but they do. They also mislead people to think that those donations also benefit all SPCAs when they do not. The ASPCA only actually runs 2 shelters. If you want to learn something useful about the ASPCA look up Nathan Winograd. He has done an excellent job exposing the corruption in many of the big "animal welfare" agencies that just love to collect people's money. If you want to complain about pugs, why not do something useful and educate people about the many health problems associated with the breed, and many other breeds, and try to convince the general public that continuing to purchase inbred and unhealthy animals is only going to ensure that the practice never stops.