Jump to topic:

What if homosexuality didn't exist??

medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2013 2:06:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I've often wondered how homosexuals would argue for rights if people weren't so gullible, buying into this "gay as an identity" nonsense.

What if people were smart enough to reject that, and realize that it's nothing more than a sexual behavior made into a lifestyle??

Would it be treated similar to the way in which pedophiles are treated??

What if it didn't exist at all??

Aside from less STD's, less psychological issues, less suicide, less partner abuse, less people dying of AIDS, less intrusions into the natural family structure, and less attempts at social engineering, would anyone even realize it was gone?? IOW, does homosexuality add anything positive to our world, or to society, that would be missed??
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2013 2:47:47 PM
Rights don't have to be beneficial to anyone other than the person exercising the right. That's why they're rights. I could just as easily ask:

"I've often wondered how medic would argue would argue about rights if people weren't so gullible, buying into this "religion is a right" nonsense.

What if people were smart enough to reject that, and realize that it's nothing more than an irrational behavior made into a lifestyle??

Aside from less molestation, less STDs, less psychological issues, less suicide, less partner abuse, less people dying of AIDS, less intrusions into the family structure, and less attempts at social engineering, would anyone even realize it was gone?? IOW, does religion add anything positive to our world, or to society, that would be missed??"
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2013 2:48:24 PM
If people knew what it was, there would presumably be revival efforts. I don't know what you're asking, besides a loaded question about the implicitly destructive effect on humanity that results from two guys doing it.

You just love da spotlight, don't you?
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2013 3:20:49 PM
Where would the fashion industry and home design be without gay people?

What would women do if they didn't have a gay best friend?

But, I agree with the analysis, an act doesn't have to be beneficial to society for people to be able to do it. In fact, I'd say that even acts that are overall harmful to society shouldn't be banned if there are individual benefits to doing the action and it would be costly to ban. This is not to say that the act should be encouraged or seen as harmless, but that it would not be optimal to try to ban the activity.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2013 3:30:56 PM
At 7/14/2013 2:06:17 PM, medic0506 wrote:
I've often wondered how homosexuals would argue for rights if people weren't so gullible, buying into this "gay as an identity" nonsense.

What if people were smart enough to reject that, and realize that it's nothing more than a sexual behavior made into a lifestyle??

Aside from less STD's, less psychological issues, less suicide, less partner abuse, less people dying of AIDS, less intrusions into the natural family structure, and less attempts at social engineering, would anyone even realize it was gone?? IOW, does homosexuality add anything positive to our world, or to society, that would be missed??

What if crackers didn't exist? How nice that would be...
Tsar of DDO
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2013 3:40:02 PM
At 7/14/2013 3:30:56 PM, YYW wrote:

What do you have against white people??
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2013 3:43:32 PM
At 7/14/2013 3:40:02 PM, medic0506 wrote:

What do white people have to do with crackers?

I like crackers. They taste good, especially if you have them w/ cheese or cream cheese.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2013 3:51:54 PM

I don't have anything against all white people. I wasn't talking about all white people.
Tsar of DDO
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2013 3:58:17 PM
At 7/14/2013 3:43:32 PM, darkkermit wrote:

I like crackers. They taste good, especially if you have them w/ cheese or cream cheese.

It's a racial term for white people. I'm not sure if it's prevalent throughout the country but I know it is down here.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2013 4:13:31 PM
At 7/14/2013 3:43:32 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Only the whitest person in the world could miss that lol.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2013 4:23:52 PM

Aside from less STD's, less psychological issues, less suicide, less partner abuse, less people dying of AIDS, less intrusions into the natural family structure, and less attempts at social engineering, would anyone even realize it was gone?? IOW, does homosexuality add anything positive to our world, or to society, that would be mis

I'm curious, where did you get this "inside view" on gays that allows you to determine that their sexual attraction is a choice and not something biologically innate?
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2013 4:24:50 PM

Aside from less STD's,

Depending on the STD, heterosexual people will have them more (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...)

less psychological issues, less suicide, less partner abuse,

Less fun, less chocolate, less trips to Benidorm, less likely to get cooties, and less likely to get their information from incredibly bias conservative sites which ignore the more obvious possibility that being an oppressed minority in a society causes severe psychological issues, as per the precedent set by when the black are discriminated against, or women in Islamic Fundamentalist Sharia Law nations.

less people dying of AIDS,

Anyone who commits sodomy gets the STD as much as a homosexual. "As of December 2004, none of these investigations had confirmed female-to-female HIV transmission" (CDC) for example.

less intrusions into the natural family structure

No such thing. Naturally, we lean towards committing evil and harming one another. Naturally, we are dirty. Naturally, there is no state or technology. If I had to choose between nature and artificial life, I'd pick artificial every single time.

and less attempts at social engineering,

Synergistic Dynamism! Sorry, I thought you needed more buzzwords.

would anyone even realize it was gone?? IOW, does homosexuality add anything positive to our world, or to society, that would be missed??

What if people weren't black? We wouldn't lose anything. What if people weren't all blue eyed blondes? We would't lose anything.

The only difference is, homosexuals generally look fabulous, so we'd lose style. To oppress it, however, is simply ridiculous and nonsensical.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2013 5:47:13 PM
At 7/14/2013 4:23:52 PM, Wnope wrote:

Aside from less STD's, less psychological issues, less suicide, less partner abuse, less people dying of AIDS, less intrusions into the natural family structure, and less attempts at social engineering, would anyone even realize it was gone?? IOW, does homosexuality add anything positive to our world, or to society, that would be mis

I'm curious, where did you get this "inside view" on gays that allows you to determine that their sexual attraction is a choice and not something biologically innate?

Common sense. If it were biologically innate then it couldn't be changed. You'd be either homo or hetero, and there would be no bisexuals. There would be no men who are married and have children with women then become homosexual. There would be no people who are gay by choice and admit it, which refutes the argument that aberrant sexuality is innate.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2013 6:00:59 PM
At 7/14/2013 4:24:50 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:

Aside from less STD's,

Depending on the STD, heterosexual people will have them more (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...)

Heterosexuals are a necessary thing in society, so we have no option but to deal with the downside. Homosexuality adds nothing positive to the world, and can be done away with without any harm to society.

less psychological issues, less suicide, less partner abuse,

Less fun, less chocolate, less trips to Benidorm, less likely to get cooties, and less likely to get their information from incredibly bias conservative sites which ignore the more obvious possibility that being an oppressed minority in a society causes severe psychological issues, as per the precedent set by when the black are discriminated against, or women in Islamic Fundamentalist Sharia Law nations.

Please, as if deciding to sleep with the same sex falls into the same category as race or gender. Some things deserve to be discriminated against, like aberrant sexual behavior.

less people dying of AIDS,

Anyone who commits sodomy gets the STD as much as a homosexual. "As of December 2004, none of these investigations had confirmed female-to-female HIV transmission" (CDC) for example.

less intrusions into the natural family structure

No such thing. Naturally, we lean towards committing evil and harming one another. Naturally, we are dirty. Naturally, there is no state or technology. If I had to choose between nature and artificial life, I'd pick artificial every single time.

No such thing as mother, father, and child?? Alrighty then.

and less attempts at social engineering,

Synergistic Dynamism! Sorry, I thought you needed more buzzwords.

would anyone even realize it was gone?? IOW, does homosexuality add anything positive to our world, or to society, that would be missed??

What if people weren't black? We wouldn't lose anything. What if people weren't all blue eyed blondes? We would't lose anything.

The only difference is, homosexuals generally look fabulous, so we'd lose style. To oppress it, however, is simply ridiculous and nonsensical.

Man up, boy. Men shouldn't look "fabulous", they should look like men.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2013 6:19:48 PM

Are you saying your sexual orientation is a choice you made? It could have gone either way for you, and you actually had to choose which way to go?

That's interesting, it certainly wasn't a choice I had to make, it just couldn't have gone another way for me, personally I can't even imagine a different orientation without going "ewwwww".

So I'm rather fascinated by this physical attraction to either gender that you had to choose between. Do you ever question the decision you made, do you ever see a guy who you find so attractive that you wish you had chosen differently? When you are with a woman, do you sometimes fantasize being with a man?

I'm sincerely curious about people who actually had to choose, please tell us what it's like living with your decision when it could have gone either way for you.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2013 6:38:05 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure those psychological issues, abuse, suicide rates, depression, unsafe sex, and substance abuse are almost entirely a result of the tabooization of homosexuality by society.

It's the constant abuse from non-LGBT people that often lea to the onset of psychological issues, depression, and the increase of suicide among people. Further, its taboo status drives it all underground that leads to less safe sex and the mingling with things like substance abuse.

Obviously, that's not to say that there won't inherently be similar rates among the LGBT community of things like substance abuse to what we see in the general populace. However, it can't be denied that the external taboo attitude and abuse inflicted by people don't play a significant factor in the negative aspects of the LGBT community.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2013 7:05:11 PM
At 7/14/2013 6:19:48 PM, Sidewalker wrote:

Are you saying your sexual orientation is a choice you made? It could have gone either way for you, and you actually had to choose which way to go?

All people are hetero by nature. The only choice to be made is to give in to desires, which are many. The more sexually liberal your morality is, the more likely you will have desires that are aberrant.

That's interesting, it certainly wasn't a choice I had to make, it just couldn't have gone another way for me, personally I can't even imagine a different orientation without going "ewwwww".

So I'm rather fascinated by this physical attraction to either gender that you had to choose between. Do you ever question the decision you made, do you ever see a guy who you find so attractive that you wish you had chosen differently? When you are with a woman, do you sometimes fantasize being with a man?

I'm sincerely curious about people who actually had to choose, please tell us what it's like living with your decision when it could have gone either way for you.

I didn't choose, I just did what was natural. For whatever reason, homosexuals, pedophiles, rapists, and sheep-shaggers all choose a different route. They are able to get satisfaction through unnatural behaviors.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2013 7:10:29 PM
At 7/14/2013 6:38:05 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure those psychological issues, abuse, suicide rates, depression, unsafe sex, and substance abuse are almost entirely a result of the tabooization of homosexuality by society.

Of course it is, that is the typical answer. It's society's fault.

It's the constant abuse from non-LGBT people that often lea to the onset of psychological issues, depression, and the increase of suicide among people. Further, its taboo status drives it all underground that leads to less safe sex and the mingling with things like substance abuse.

Obviously, that's not to say that there won't inherently be similar rates among the LGBT community of things like substance abuse to what we see in the general populace. However, it can't be denied that the external taboo attitude and abuse inflicted by people don't play a significant factor in the negative aspects of the LGBT community.

Yeah well I think it's their own conscience telling them that what they're doing is wrong, that causes their problems.
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2013 9:51:20 PM
At 7/14/2013 7:10:29 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At 7/14/2013 6:38:05 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Of course it is, that is the typical answer. It's society's fault.

Yeah well I think it's their own conscience telling them that what they're doing is wrong, that causes their problems.

You? Thinking?

All I see is assertions being made without thought.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
CanWeKnow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2013 10:27:48 PM
Lol, Medic... Medic... -_-. Why don't you just try being a homosexual for a day? Take some Estrogen shots and hit the clubs. Then come back and tell us about your experience.
JonMilne
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2013 3:18:34 AM
At 7/14/2013 2:47:47 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
Rights don't have to be beneficial to anyone other than the person exercising the right. That's why they're rights. I could just as easily ask:

"I've often wondered how medic would argue would argue about rights if people weren't so gullible, buying into this "religion is a right" nonsense.

What if people were smart enough to reject that, and realize that it's nothing more than an irrational behavior made into a lifestyle??

Aside from less molestation, less STDs, less psychological issues, less suicide, less partner abuse, less people dying of AIDS, less intrusions into the family structure, and less attempts at social engineering, would anyone even realize it was gone?? IOW, does religion add anything positive to our world, or to society, that would be missed??"

Indeed. Christianity, (and religion in general) provides a fvckload of unnecessary harmful issues that we need to fix which would be more fixable if religion wasn't around, and yet curiously enough Medic isn't calling religion abhorrent.

Focusing just on sexuality for a moment, religion makes unreasonable demands on human sexuality. There has literally never been a human society on the face of Planet Earth, no matter how thoroughly crushed under the thumb of theistic tyranny, where people actually consistently restricted themselves to one-partner-only marital sex. Even in today's society, the evidence thoroughly shows that kids subjected to the whole "abstinence only" and "gays are evil" brainwashing are not significantly different in their sexual behaviour from kids given proper sex education as well as proper education about exactly what homosexuality is, with the exception that the victims of "abstinence only" get more STDs and have more unwanted pregnancies, while the anti-gay crowd tend to be the subjects of more humiliating losses and being made to look like morons more and more in this day and age. Given that your morality on sex appears to be impossible to put into widespread practice, in a pragmatic society, we need to come up with humane ways of dealing with what happens when people deviate from that morality.

Religion"s solutions to the supposed problem of non-sanctioned sex range between completely ineffective and massively inhumane, far out of proportion to any harm that a reasonable person would say could possibly be directly caused by a pair of adults having a little bit of consensual fun. In fact, the notion that two adults engaging in consensual sex has ANY intrinsic harm associated with it (as opposed to incidental harms like unwanted pregnancy) is ENTIRELY a religious notion. According to secular rationale, the only harms caused by non-marital sex are: disease transmission, unwanted pregnancy, and relationship conflicts. Likewise for gay couples minus unwanted pregnancy, as well as relationship conflicts if the gay couple are in fact married. In a religious world, all of these harms still exist and IN ADDITION you have the harm caused by religiously-motivated punishment of the people who have sex that is deemed inappropriate, as well as the harm done by causing people to experience guilt and fear in regard to their sexual desires and interfering with their enjoyment of the positive good called sex.

And THIS is the problem with religion, because it gives us all these extra bullsh!t issues that we have to fight over IN ADDITION TO all the real issues that we already had. I mean, take into consideration, for example, the damn Temple Mount in Jerusalem. There is no way in hell that anybody other than archaeologists would give two sh!ts about who owns that tiny little scrap of ground if it weren"t for religion, and yet Ariel Sharon was able to start a riot, and, eventually, a revolt, just by setting foot on the f*cking thing. There are other concepts beyond supernatural ones that can be similarly crazy-making for people (e.g. The Fatherland, The Proletariat), but throwing supernatural crap into the mix adds a whole other realm for people to be crazy in. Getting rid of religion won"t get rid of all the problems that humans have, but it will at least reduce the number of them ever so slightly.

And, of course, religion (in the form of evidence-free supernatural belief systems) contributes to a lot of the real problems we have in the world today. Anti-contraceptive agendas contribute to overpopulation and the spread of HIV. People use their religious beliefs to justify refusing to take action on climate change (because their deity would never let that happen). Religion does contribute to the Israel/Palestine/rest-of-the-Arab-world f*ckup, even though there are other issues in play too. Religion justified and mobilized Osama bin Laden and the 9/11 hijackers. Religion is what allowed Catholic officials to believe that they were doing the world a favor by concealing pedophiles in order to protect the moral authority of their church. Religion is what motivates Ugandan Christians and many Islamic nations to impose brutal death penalties on gay folks just for being gay. Religion drives the "witch child" persecutions in Africa. Religion motivates and justifies the abuses of Scientology. Religion caused that poor kid in the Dominican Republic to have her leukemia treatment delayed until a court ruled that her life was more important than the clump of cells occupying her uterus, which delay may well have contributed to her death. And on and on and on.

Religion doesn"t cause ALL the problems, but it does cause very real problems that cast doubt about what the fvck we even need religion for. The scientific knowledge we have (especially in the social sciences), while fallible and subject to revision, is still based on a historical chain of evidence and reasoning. It has value because its origins are sound, even if it may change in light of new information. Religious (especially Christian) scriptures have no such foundation. I"ve got no reason to trust them to tell me true things about how the world works or what is moral any more than I"d trust a Harry Potter novel. And in fact, I trust them less, because they were written by a bunch of ignorant and inhumane Bronze Age goatherds, and at least J.K. Rowling had the benefit of modern improvements in scientific understanding and ethics to help her construct a more realistic and humane fantasy world. The fact that the scientific method and social sciences has not yet revealed all the truth about everything ever does not justify taking religious scriptures as an accurate rendition of how the world works anymore than Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings novels.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2013 7:33:05 AM
At 7/14/2013 10:27:48 PM, CanWeKnow wrote:
Lol, Medic... Medic... -_-. Why don't you just try being a homosexual for a day? Take some Estrogen shots and hit the clubs. Then come back and tell us about your experience.

For what purpose?? I mean I can act gay for a day, be limp-wristed, talk with a lisp, make acting like a teenage girl with a moustache into a comedy act, etc., but what purpose would that serve??
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2013 8:54:45 AM
At 7/15/2013 7:33:05 AM, medic0506 wrote:

For what purpose?? I mean I can act gay for a day, be limp-wristed, talk with a lisp, make acting like a teenage girl with a moustache into a comedy act, etc., but what purpose would that serve??

If you think those are key, major, or requisite attributes of a gay man, then that just shows how little you know about anything.

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2013 9:00:05 AM
lol this guy makes a sport out of being a bigot. Medic, you do realize that at this point people treat your threads like an attraction at the zoo, right?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
CanWeKnow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2013 11:48:23 AM

Medic, you're so right! It sounds COMPLETELY ridiculous to do any of those things. Why would any sane person want to act homosexual? What purpose would that serve? Especially to someone who is heterosexual by default.

Why do killers kill? Why do rapists rape? Why do gays have gay sex?

Most importantly, Why is Medic himself?

You can't boil people's actions down to selfish and illogical desires and then label it immoral. If you want to do such a thing then it's necessary to harass all wrong-doers.

Number of deaths for leading causes of death
Heart disease: 597,689
Cancer: 574,743
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 138,080
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 129,476
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 120,859
Alzheimer's disease: 83,494
Diabetes: 69,071
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 50,476
Influenza and Pneumonia: 50,097
Intentional self-harm (suicide): 38,36

http://www.cdc.gov...

Why not choose to campaign against something that causes REAL harm in our society like obesity? Like fast food restaurants? Like the use of trans fats in our food?

You seem to single out Homosexuality as if it's the largest threat to society, when it's not.

I am all for standing up for what you believe in.

BUT

If you believe in the greater good. If you want to remedy suffering. If you want to ensure your loved ones are protected. If you want to be a force for compassion.

Then fighting Homosexuality is a very poor way of showing it.
Citrakayah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2013 12:27:10 PM
At 7/14/2013 5:47:13 PM, medic0506 wrote:
Common sense. If it were biologically innate then it couldn't be changed. You'd be either homo or hetero, and there would be no bisexuals. There would be no men who are married and have children with women then become homosexual. There would be no people who are gay by choice and admit it, which refutes the argument that aberrant sexuality is innate.

1. No, you could totally be bisexual. Why couldn't you? To argue that you couldn't requires a very straitjacketed notion of sex.
2. They aren't 'becoming' homosexual, they repressed their sexuality.
3. Since when does being gay give you infallible self-knowledge that cannot be influenced by brainwashing and abuse?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2013 5:15:30 PM

Fail.
Tsar of DDO
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2013 6:32:17 PM

What if Black people did not exist? What if short people did not exist? What if Cricket fans did not exist? What if people who liked olives or mayonnaise did not exist?

Homosexuality allows gay people to create fulfilling relationships and be happy. Maybe it would seem less weird if everyone is straight. But that is not the way the world is. There are gay people. So, the thoughtful, reasoned, empathetic, moral response is to accept gay people and encourage gays to have relationships.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2013 9:34:49 PM
So the consensus seems to be that homosexuality provides no positive benefits to society, that anyone can point to. That then begs the question...Why should society be willing to redefine everything about marriage and family in order to accommodate the 1-4% of the population that engage in it??
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2013 10:18:06 PM
At 7/15/2013 9:34:49 PM, medic0506 wrote:
So the consensus seems to be that homosexuality provides no positive benefits to society, that anyone can point to. That then begs the question...Why should society be willing to redefine everything about marriage and family in order to accommodate the 1-4% of the population that engage in it??

Marriage and family have constantly been redefined since the beginning of the fvcking human race. We've had several people all bonded together through the sacred practice of fvcking, the first marriage, a bond. We've had one man essentially married to many women. We've in fact already had one man and one man marriages during the Renaissance, as well as one man and one woman. We now have single-parent families, families made up of aunts and/or uncles raising children, grandparents raising children, sisters and brothers raising children, the list goes on. If you think that we're JUST NOW redefining what a family and marriage are, then you're living in a fantasy world.