Jump to topic:

Race and Sexual Attraction

rockwater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 8:31:17 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Is it racist to only be sexually attracted to certain sexes and not to others? I certainly have this issue, although I am married, so the point is largely moot.

What concerns me is that although I am gay, there are certain races for which I find women more sexually attractive to men - and I do not find women very sexually attractive!

This whole discussion makes me uncomfortable because it is largely about objectifying people's bodies. I have no idea if I were single and got to know a guy of a race I currently feel no or little sexual attraction to, if a sexual attraction could develop over time. The issue may be moot for me, since I am married, but what about for a single person?

Look at it this way. I can't imagine being a man without paying attention to the bodies of the the other people I see around me and on TV. I focus much more visual attention on adult males of the races I am attracted to, even when I try not to, and I don't pay much visual attention to women at all. Does this semi-conscious screening of the people around me influence the judgments I form about people other than just about their attractiveness? (You can talk about single people if you want, but I assure you married people are looking at people they find attractive in public all the time, whether they try to or not.)
llamainmypocket
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 1:52:26 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
If your going to call yourself racist for a racial preference then I'm going to call you sexist for your sexual preference.

Racism often means treating people badly due to their race. I don't think your discrimination by sexual preference qualifies as bad treatment so I think you're fine.

If you really want to beg the definition then you can get there but I think it violates the spirit of the word to use it as such.