Total Posts:9|Showing Posts:1-9
Jump to topic:

is color only skin deep?

lilopinion94
Posts: 4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2009 6:33:57 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
for my 8th grade school year i attended a primarily all black school it was diffrent for me coming from a diffrent state where color in school is diverse it was gonna be hard when in school i was called A wigger (iam mixed black and white)
during one conversation in history while studying the period of slavery the kids in the class made a song up for me about being a house slave because my skin color is carmel /honey color another incideant is when the girls who sat behind me attempted to cut my hair . i dont know if this could be black on black crime.?
i never knew my dad (black ) growing up and soon after my mom married my stepdad who is (white) and there after had 2 sibilings(white) i dont know where i fit in i have been raised and been influenced by the white race that people dont understand why i listen to rock and taylor swift .and for some reason makesme the target for constant ridicule . over the summer i started dating a boy(white) when we came bcak to school not only was \i a wigger i was a racist !i dont know what to make of this situation and has my primary upbringing influenced how i act and who i chose to be with and why that has influenced who i hang around who i date and how i act !
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2009 7:10:11 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I personally believe that U.S Americans are unable to do so because some people out there in our nation don't have maps and I believe that our education like such as South Africa and the Iraq everywhere like such as and I believe that they should our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S. or should help South Africa it should help the Iraq and the asian countries so we will be able to build up our future.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2009 7:13:18 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
But yes, stereotypes are statistically true but not at all true stright across the board.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
wonderwoman
Posts: 744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2009 7:30:35 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 12/8/2009 7:10:11 PM, wjmelements wrote:
I personally believe that U.S Americans are unable to do so because some people out there in our nation don't have maps and I believe that our education like such as South Africa and the Iraq everywhere like such as and I believe that they should our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S. or should help South Africa it should help the Iraq and the asian countries so we will be able to build up our future.

omg dumb b!tch
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2009 8:04:08 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 12/8/2009 7:13:18 PM, wjmelements wrote:
But yes, stereotypes are statistically true but not at all true stright across the board.

Stereotypes, I would say, are mostly based off of real patterns.

This does not mean however that "Color is more than skin deep",

1stly, I don't think people care what color you are under your skin,

secondly there are Lots of other, very influential, historical reasons for the patterns of material, cultural, and educational disparity amongst the "races", and the belief that physical differences is the, or an, important factor, is not a reasonable belief.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2009 4:06:56 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
In a pedantic sense, colour is more than skin deep because there are biological differences and tendencies between different races beyond complexion, such as hair and eye colour, nose shape, eyelid shape, sickle cell anemia and thallassemia.

The more important fact though is that, like skin colour, these are all superficial and largely insignificant beyond aesthetics.

I'm white but while I'm in no way ashamed of my ethnic identity, I think of myself as human first and foremost.

I think the racism you're experiencing from your black classmates is disgusting. Ridiculing your music tastes is not really an issue and this is similar to the way I have often been labelled a "wigger" by other white people but calling you "house slave" in your domestic circumstances is effed up. Calling you racist for dating a white kid is just ignorant.

My daughter and her mum are both mixed race, my little girl is olive skinned and looks basically white but her mum is a combination of South Asian and African Carribean, so she's quite dark skinned and she experienced racist bullying and teasing at a posh, nearly all white English school as well as a feeling of not fitting in with any ethnic group.

If the situation gets really bad then maybe you could talk to your parents about switching schools but you may continue to feel like you are different, even in an ethnically diverse school.

Be proud of your uniqueness, it's natural that with a white family you will identify with white people more in some ways. All I can say is stand up for who you are and don't take sh!t from anyone.
kelly224
Posts: 952
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2009 7:52:13 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 12/8/2009 6:33:57 PM, lilopinion94 wrote:
for my 8th grade school year i attended a primarily all black school it was diffrent for me coming from a diffrent state where color in school is diverse it was gonna be hard when in school i was called A wigger (iam mixed black and white)
during one conversation in history while studying the period of slavery the kids in the class made a song up for me about being a house slave because my skin color is carmel /honey color another incideant is when the girls who sat behind me attempted to cut my hair . i dont know if this could be black on black crime.?
i never knew my dad (black ) growing up and soon after my mom married my stepdad who is (white) and there after had 2 sibilings(white) i dont know where i fit in i have been raised and been influenced by the white race that people dont understand why i listen to rock and taylor swift .and for some reason makesme the target for constant ridicule . over the summer i started dating a boy(white) when we came bcak to school not only was \i a wigger i was a racist !i dont know what to make of this situation and has my primary upbringing influenced how i act and who i chose to be with and why that has influenced who i hang around who i date and how i act !

Be who you are. People will make fun of you because kids are cruel, and insensitive. Most important they are immature. You can't control what color skin, nor the body you were born with, what you can control is how you let this affect YOU. You need to draw some boundaries,let them know that you won't tolerate this behavior. Have you informed your parents? Have you made the teacher aware to this ?...It make alienate you, but you need to have a healthy degree of respect for your self.
baldeadniguhincharge
Posts: 6
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2010 1:24:01 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Color is only skin deep. I say this because, If u take a baby @ birth & give 2 a family of a different race....it will learn 2 act as if that race acts & not like its own
The Great Debater