Total Posts:49|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Sexual relationship between siblings?

wordy
Posts: 146
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 7:39:46 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
DO you think it's alright for a broher and sister to have sexual relations( or just kissing for exprimenting) or to have feelings for each other??
1Devilsadvocate
Posts: 1,518
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 9:42:35 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
What irony, I was wondering why you didn't just use the word incest, then I see that your screen name is "wordy".

As for your point, I agree. I've never understood why incest (or polygamy for that matter) is any different than gay marriage in that unless you believe in the bible or some other divine being that says that it's wrong, there is no reason to say that it is.

The truth is, I'm a moral nihilist/relativist/ divine command theorist etc. so I don't see any moral basis for anything without there being a divine being. The fact that it is considered to be illegal is IMHO a product of biblical influence. As the influence of the bible wanes, and is replaced by a secular moral code based on "If it doesn't hurt others it's okay" way of thinking, things like incest & polygamy will "become" moral. The only reason that Gay marriage is proceeding them is because there are more gay people to advocate for it and start movements then there are people interested in incest or polygamy. Now that the gay movement has broken the walls/ opened the door, the rest will eventually follow.

The problem with my theory is that it doesn't explain why people have an aversion to marrying other close relatives like 1st cousins.
One final point is that an argument can be made, (though I haven't seen it,) that incest should be illegal because there is a higher risk of the child having genetic defects, but with contraceptives and abortion, that shouldn't be too much of an obstacle.
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
1Devilsadvocate
Posts: 1,518
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 9:45:04 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/17/2013 9:42:35 AM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote
,...As for your point...

My bad, the OP wasn't making a point just asking a question, so I take that part back.
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 11:12:22 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I personally think incest like that is kind of gross and a bit iffy. Of course, that doesn't mean I think it should be illegal, or that marriages between siblings should be illegal. But I'll be honest in saying I think it's a bit icky.

That's just me though. Although i think that repulsion is largely an evolutionary construct - being repulsed by behaviors like incest because they run the risk of being bad for the gene pool.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 12:07:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/17/2013 7:39:46 AM, wordy wrote:
DO you think it's alright for a broher and sister to have sexual relations( or just kissing for exprimenting) or to have feelings for each other??

It's just a matter of time before liberal parents get around to telling their kids that it's ok to bone your own sister, after mom shows her the basics of foreplay. Puberty will be much less traumatic for her after that and she'll be more tolerant when she grows up.
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 12:08:46 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/17/2013 12:07:31 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At 7/17/2013 7:39:46 AM, wordy wrote:
DO you think it's alright for a broher and sister to have sexual relations( or just kissing for exprimenting) or to have feelings for each other??

It's just a matter of time before liberal parents get around to telling their kids that it's ok to bone your own sister, after mom shows her the basics of foreplay. Puberty will be much less traumatic for her after that and she'll be more tolerant when she grows up.

Quit being so fvcking dramatic and sensationalist, medic. Honestly.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 12:42:24 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/17/2013 12:08:46 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 7/17/2013 12:07:31 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At 7/17/2013 7:39:46 AM, wordy wrote:
DO you think it's alright for a broher and sister to have sexual relations( or just kissing for exprimenting) or to have feelings for each other??

It's just a matter of time before liberal parents get around to telling their kids that it's ok to bone your own sister, after mom shows her the basics of foreplay. Puberty will be much less traumatic for her after that and she'll be more tolerant when she grows up.

Quit being so fvcking dramatic and sensationalist, medic. Honestly.

lol...Have some imagination D, imagine the possibilities of sexual liberation.
rockwater
Posts: 273
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 1:27:22 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/17/2013 7:39:46 AM, wordy wrote:
DO you think it's alright for a broher and sister to have sexual relations( or just kissing for exprimenting) or to have feelings for each other??

Heterosexual incest is dangerous because of the possibility of the conception of a very ill child. When there is a large age difference or a parental relationship between the partners there is also the possibility of coercion and abuse. Of course, it is always wrong when one partner is an adult and the other is not, because children cannot give consent.

Regardless of the genders or ages of the partners, when people grow up together, there are both cultural and perhaps also biological pressures that could make an incestuous relationship very psychologically damaging. Studies have shown that people tend to have an intense sexual attraction to people who have a family resemblance to them (like siblings do), but that something seems to nullify that attraction when family members grow up together. This indicates that we are programmed to be sexually attracted to people who look like us, but also programmed to not be sexually attracted to the people we grow up with. This has resulted in a few cases of siblings who do not meet until adulthood, do not know the are siblings, and fall in love. One such couple (a straight one) has been petitioning (and consistently failing) in Germany to have their relationship not be illegal.

So, even if two siblings are adults, about the same age, the same sex (or infertile), and were not raised together (so they do not get childhood family roles sexualized, in case that is psychologically damaging), what, if anything, makes a sexual relationship between them immoral? Some people have argued that people have a duty to form relationships outside of their family to lessen nepotism and promote interdependence and kinship ties among groups that might otherwise be in conflict. I am not sure if such an incest makes the rare hypothetical situation above immoral.
wordy
Posts: 146
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 12:31:15 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/17/2013 9:42:35 AM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:
What irony, I was wondering why you didn't just use the word incest, then I see that your screen name is "wordy".

As for your point, I agree. I've never understood why incest (or polygamy for that matter) is any different than gay marriage in that unless you believe in the bible or some other divine being that says that it's wrong, there is no reason to say that it is.

The truth is, I'm a moral nihilist/relativist/ divine command theorist etc. so I don't see any moral basis for anything without there being a divine being. The fact that it is considered to be illegal is IMHO a product of biblical influence. As the influence of the bible wanes, and is replaced by a secular moral code based on "If it doesn't hurt others it's okay" way of thinking, things like incest & polygamy will "become" moral. The only reason that Gay marriage is proceeding them is because there are more gay people to advocate for it and start movements then there are people interested in incest or polygamy. Now that the gay movement has broken the walls/ opened the door, the rest will eventually follow.

The problem with my theory is that it doesn't explain why people have an aversion to marrying other close relatives like 1st cousins.
One final point is that an argument can be made, (though I haven't seen it,) that incest should be illegal because there is a higher risk of the child having genetic defects, but with contraceptives and abortion, that shouldn't be too much of an obstacle.
I regret for not applying the fitting term.
CanWeKnow
Posts: 217
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 2:14:01 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Obv. there is the inbreeding problem. We don't need kids with 6 toes on each foot.

As for using contraceptives? Eh, IDK. That's like giving everyone bullet proof vests and then letting gun-toting criminals loose. It's just not a good idea.

It IS icky. We don't have to justify why it is. When someone throws up on you it's icky. Why? It just is. Ew.

But if you like that sort of crap... then to each his own I guess... as long as you don't create problems.

Like if you are into BDSM don't go around whipping people in the butt ya know? You'll get beat up for that, maybe even arrested.

Anyway, just my two cents.
wordy
Posts: 146
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 3:31:59 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I honestly was always stuck on this issue.

The sexual relationship between siblings is habitually recognized as taboo; it's termed incest, inbreeding, sexual abuse depending on the older sibling's age, and is plainly perceived as disgusting. This form of desire between siblings was in all ways regarded as forbidden. At first, I absolutely agreed with all who thought this. Mainly for two excuses; 1) Well, to me it was just plainly irritating. You grow up with this particular person....perhaps even originate in the womb with him/her....as well as go through countless hardships and enjoyment with him/her as children. However once your reach your teenage periods or adulthood; you start having intercourse with him/her? That would seem quite awkward at the least. My second analysis is the children that can result from this type of performance. Now I'm not trying to say that a child born from something like this is a "mistake". I whole heartedly believe that no child is a "mistake". But I am concerned about what a child born from any type of incestuous relationship will face during his or her life. Children from incest are known to have severe deformities due to the DNA of his/her parents being so familiar. Also, if one were to find out that the child's parents were siblings, father and daughter, mother and son, relatives in any area....imagine the stigma that child will carry. Numerous people will end up knowing (because we all know how much of a gossiper each person can be) about how this child was born, and of course many would create harsh judgments on the child and his/her family. This will more than likely emotionally traumatize the child.

My main reasons....it's extremity in being exotic and my great concerns for a child born from incest...brought me the conclusion to be completely against something like this.

But as time went by, I slowly began to wonder....a brother and sister in love is seen as disturbing. But why? Besides the only feelings that I felt, what else makes a sexual relationship so stigmatized? Is this issue really as forbidden as we sometimes make it seem, or could this type of thing actually be....okay? What if we're violating the rights to love?

Now, I may be looked on as completely insane now by readers.

But, this is honestly my opinion.

And my opinion is in the middle ground.

Parts of me say "NO!" to a brother-sister love relationship, and other parts of me simply ask, "Why?"

)
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 9:51:44 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I have to ask, are you in a incestuous relationship wordy?

I think its unnatural and a far from gay marriage. Although both are technically unnatural. But a gay marriage can't produce children. incestuous relationships can. And it usually ends to pretty serious birth defects. Besides that, humans are doomed if we stray to far from are natural way of living. There has to be a line some where don't you think. Otherwise where does it end?
Drayson
Posts: 288
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 6:43:16 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
In and of itself, no. There isn't anything particularly wrong with it - if both siblings are over the age of consent. I think the reason many people see it as wrong is because they personally would never do it, so they can't understand why anyone else would.

But there are other things tied up with the issue that ARE somewhat problematic. There are sound psychological reasons why such relationships might be problematic between siblings, specifically that familial connections are different from other emotional connections. If a person gets those two types of relationships - and the emotions attached to them - confused early in life, it can mess up future relationships.

Then there's the biological aspect, where the risk of genetic problems in any offspring that might come about is a lot higher
"I'm not saying I don't trust you...and I'm not saying I do. But I don't"

-Topper Harley
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 11:34:34 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
If a person is known to have certain heritable genetic defects which create an extremely high chance of incest-like mutations, should the person not be allowed to procreate?
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 11:47:16 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
No relationship between consenting adults should be illegal.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Noumena
Posts: 6,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 12:01:11 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/18/2013 11:47:16 PM, tvellalott wrote:
No relationship between consenting adults should be illegal.

I think the OP was referring more to morality than legality.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
CanWeKnow
Posts: 217
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 12:55:37 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/18/2013 11:34:34 PM, Wnope wrote:
If a person is known to have certain heritable genetic defects which create an extremely high chance of incest-like mutations, should the person not be allowed to procreate?

That's up to them. SHOULD they procreate? No. I think anyone who knew about their conditions would feel the same as well.

Unless they enjoy punishing their children with unfair diseases.
wordy
Posts: 146
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 4:17:23 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/18/2013 9:51:44 AM, Df0512 wrote:
I have to ask, are you in a incestuous relationship wordy?

HaHa! It is obvious that you are asking me this question. If I were you, I would do the same. So, I have no objection against you. No, I am not in such relationship. I have a friend who is interested in performing this activity. He asked for my advise. But, I am torn on this issue.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 4:41:09 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/19/2013 12:01:11 AM, Noumena wrote:
At 7/18/2013 11:47:16 PM, tvellalott wrote:
No relationship between consenting adults should be illegal.

I think the OP was referring more to morality than legality.

Mor... ality?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 6:58:46 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/19/2013 12:55:37 AM, CanWeKnow wrote:
At 7/18/2013 11:34:34 PM, Wnope wrote:
If a person is known to have certain heritable genetic defects which create an extremely high chance of incest-like mutations, should the person not be allowed to procreate?

That's up to them. SHOULD they procreate? No. I think anyone who knew about their conditions would feel the same as well.

Unless they enjoy punishing their children with unfair diseases.

How are the children being punished?
wordy
Posts: 146
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 8:12:08 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/19/2013 4:41:09 AM, tvellalott wrote:
At 7/19/2013 12:01:11 AM, Noumena wrote:
At 7/18/2013 11:47:16 PM, tvellalott wrote:
No relationship between consenting adults should be illegal.

I think the OP was referring more to morality than legality.

Mor... ality?

I don't...get it.
Noumena
Posts: 6,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 8:45:04 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/19/2013 4:41:09 AM, tvellalott wrote:
At 7/19/2013 12:01:11 AM, Noumena wrote:
At 7/18/2013 11:47:16 PM, tvellalott wrote:
No relationship between consenting adults should be illegal.

I think the OP was referring more to morality than legality.

Mor... ality?

Lol I know. I'm just saying I think that's what he was going for.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
1dustpelt
Posts: 1,970
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 10:43:24 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Should not be illegal, but inbreeding causes problems...
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 11:04:36 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/19/2013 8:12:08 AM, wordy wrote:
At 7/19/2013 4:41:09 AM, tvellalott wrote:
At 7/19/2013 12:01:11 AM, Noumena wrote:
At 7/18/2013 11:47:16 PM, tvellalott wrote:
No relationship between consenting adults should be illegal.

I think the OP was referring more to morality than legality.

Mor... ality?

I don't...get it.

He's a moral nihilist :p
yang.
Noumena
Posts: 6,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 11:09:00 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/19/2013 11:04:36 AM, tulle wrote:
At 7/19/2013 8:12:08 AM, wordy wrote:
At 7/19/2013 4:41:09 AM, tvellalott wrote:
At 7/19/2013 12:01:11 AM, Noumena wrote:
At 7/18/2013 11:47:16 PM, tvellalott wrote:
No relationship between consenting adults should be illegal.

I think the OP was referring more to morality than legality.

Mor... ality?

I don't...get it.

He's a moral nihilist :p

...a badass Aussie nihilist at that.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 11:49:06 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/19/2013 4:17:23 AM, wordy wrote:
At 7/18/2013 9:51:44 AM, Df0512 wrote:
I have to ask, are you in a incestuous relationship wordy?

HaHa! It is obvious that you are asking me this question. If I were you, I would do the same. So, I have no objection against you. No, I am not in such relationship. I have a friend who is interested in performing this activity. He asked for my advise. But, I am torn on this issue.

I didnt mean to insult you by asking. I just wonder whaty would bring a person to seek a relationship with there own sister. The legality of it is one thing but there are jus to many cons for me to support it. Im actually surprised at how many peopl earen't disgusted by the thought.
Noumena
Posts: 6,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 12:03:08 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/19/2013 11:49:06 AM, Df0512 wrote:
At 7/19/2013 4:17:23 AM, wordy wrote:
At 7/18/2013 9:51:44 AM, Df0512 wrote:
I have to ask, are you in a incestuous relationship wordy?

HaHa! It is obvious that you are asking me this question. If I were you, I would do the same. So, I have no objection against you. No, I am not in such relationship. I have a friend who is interested in performing this activity. He asked for my advise. But, I am torn on this issue.

I didnt mean to insult you by asking. I just wonder whaty would bring a person to seek a relationship with there own sister. The legality of it is one thing but there are jus to many cons for me to support it. Im actually surprised at how many peopl earen't disgusted by the thought.

Most people are. It's just that that doesn't necessarily translate to pro reasons for immorality/prohibition. Straight couples aren't exactly into gay sex (and vice versa) but we all know the 'ick factor' isn't a proper contention in a real debate.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 12:59:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/19/2013 12:03:08 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 7/19/2013 11:49:06 AM, Df0512 wrote:
At 7/19/2013 4:17:23 AM, wordy wrote:
At 7/18/2013 9:51:44 AM, Df0512 wrote:
I have to ask, are you in a incestuous relationship wordy?

HaHa! It is obvious that you are asking me this question. If I were you, I would do the same. So, I have no objection against you. No, I am not in such relationship. I have a friend who is interested in performing this activity. He asked for my advise. But, I am torn on this issue.

I didnt mean to insult you by asking. I just wonder whaty would bring a person to seek a relationship with there own sister. The legality of it is one thing but there are jus to many cons for me to support it. Im actually surprised at how many peopl earen't disgusted by the thought.

Most people are. It's just that that doesn't necessarily translate to pro reasons for immorality/prohibition. Straight couples aren't exactly into gay sex (and vice versa) but we all know the 'ick factor' isn't a proper contention in a real debate.

Well thats kinda my point. Not to insult wordy , but here we are debating incest. There was once a time where such a thing was immediatlely looked downed upon. Atleast in this country. I just cant help but to think where we are all headed, as a country, if we can freely debate these things as if we were debating was the better president or something. Not that this debate is going to make a real impact on the issue but still.

I just think this is one of those issues where we should always give a firm NO. Along with beastiality and any other weird sexual preferences. Sometime i think we may be a little too accommodating
Noumena
Posts: 6,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 1:37:56 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/19/2013 12:59:21 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 7/19/2013 12:03:08 PM, Noumena wrote:

Most people are. It's just that that doesn't necessarily translate to pro reasons for immorality/prohibition. Straight couples aren't exactly into gay sex (and vice versa) but we all know the 'ick factor' isn't a proper contention in a real debate.

Well thats kinda my point. Not to insult wordy , but here we are debating incest. There was once a time where such a thing was immediatlely looked downed upon. Atleast in this country. I just cant help but to think where we are all headed, as a country, if we can freely debate these things as if we were debating was the better president or something. Not that this debate is going to make a real impact on the issue but still.

I just think this is one of those issues where we should always give a firm NO. Along with beastiality and any other weird sexual preferences. Sometime i think we may be a little too accommodating

So....icky icky icky.....icky icky.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.