Jump to topic:

Biphobia and Bisexual Denial

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 12:53:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Basically, this topic was inspired by a recent comment on DDO about bisexuality either not being legitimate, or not being a sexuality at all.

Biphobia is basically the hatred of, denial of, undermining of, etc. of bisexuals and bisexuality as a sexuality. Simple enough.

However, it is my contention that biphobia is in fact a larger issue than homophobia itself, because of the fact that, simply put, both heterosexuals and open and proud homosexuals often engage in biphobia and bisexual denial.

Immediately, you may already have conjured up your image of a bisexual: some promiscuous woman who fvcks around with anyone she comes into contact with? Maybe a confused homosexual in denial? Maybe a heterosexual who just wants to be hip?

Those are all simply false assertions and non sequitiurs. Indeed, there are promiscuous bisexuals, just as there are promiscuous heterosexuals/homosexuals. There are bisexuals confused about their sexualities, same goes for heterosexuals/homosexuals. But there are monogamous, non-promiscuous, unconfused bisexuals too. Further, (and this one touches closer to home), there ARE male bisexuals - not simply female.

Basically, I just had to make this thread because being bisexual myself, I'm very dismayed at the level of denial, hatred, and stereotyping of bisexuals that is allowed to go on, and often perpetuated by supposed LGBT people themselves. It honestly is very hurtful, and I think few people recognize that.

Anyway, what do you all think?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
rockwater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 1:01:46 PM
At 7/17/2013 12:53:18 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Basically, this topic was inspired by a recent comment on DDO about bisexuality either not being legitimate, or not being a sexuality at all.

Biphobia is basically the hatred of, denial of, undermining of, etc. of bisexuals and bisexuality as a sexuality. Simple enough.

However, it is my contention that biphobia is in fact a larger issue than homophobia itself, because of the fact that, simply put, both heterosexuals and open and proud homosexuals often engage in biphobia and bisexual denial.

Immediately, you may already have conjured up your image of a bisexual: some promiscuous woman who fvcks around with anyone she comes into contact with? Maybe a confused homosexual in denial? Maybe a heterosexual who just wants to be hip?

Those are all simply false assertions and non sequitiurs. Indeed, there are promiscuous bisexuals, just as there are promiscuous heterosexuals/homosexuals. There are bisexuals confused about their sexualities, same goes for heterosexuals/homosexuals. But there are monogamous, non-promiscuous, unconfused bisexuals too. Further, (and this one touches closer to home), there ARE male bisexuals - not simply female.

Basically, I just had to make this thread because being bisexual myself, I'm very dismayed at the level of denial, hatred, and stereotyping of bisexuals that is allowed to go on, and often perpetuated by supposed LGBT people themselves. It honestly is very hurtful, and I think few people recognize that.

Bisexuality is real and biphobia is wrong. I thing some gays are worried that if people exist who are attracted to both sexes, then people might argue that such people should choose to only have sex and relationships with the opposite sex, since they "have a choice." This line of thinking ignores that people do not choose whom they fall in love with, regardless of which sexes they are attracted to. It is also perfectly possible for a bi person to only have relationships with one sex at one point in life and only have relationships with another sex at another point in life, without ever having made a choice to switch. Sexuality is way too fluid to be characterized in such a limited way.

Basically, though bisexuality means that society needs to confront that having sex with the same sex is not immoral even when you are also attracted to the opposite sex. This means that same-sex sex is just as morally licit as opposite sex sex, period. You don't need to give being born only loving the same sex as an excuse to be "allowed" to have sex and relationships with the same sex. Straight, gay, and bi sex are equally natural. The end.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 3:48:18 PM
Now you're just dogpiling me. You guys already call me homophobic, now I'm double homophobic since I oppose homosexuality when mixed with heterosexuality, too?? Isn't enough that you guys are molesting the constitution, do you have to rape the English language, too??
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 3:53:30 PM
At 7/17/2013 3:48:18 PM, medic0506 wrote:
Now you're just dogpiling me. You guys already call me homophobic, now I'm double homophobic since I oppose homosexuality when mixed with heterosexuality, too?? Isn't enough that you guys are molesting the constitution, do you have to rape the English language, too??

Nice word choice there, buddy. I see what you're implying.

Although, a couple things:

First, I'm saying straight and gay people alike are oftentimes biphobic. It's probably one of the few intolerances that is still for some reason tacitly accepted by most people.

Second, how in the bloody hell am I molesting the Constitution. I'm pretty sure there's nothing in the Constitution saying being bisexual or homosexual is wrong.

medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 4:31:03 PM
At 7/17/2013 3:53:30 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

lol...That one actually was an oversight. I just meant to say that it's overkill.

First, I'm saying straight and gay people alike are oftentimes biphobic. It's probably one of the few intolerances that is still for some reason tacitly accepted by most people.

I don't see how gay people could possibly have room to oppose anyone else's sexual morality. I think it has to do with the fact that bisexuals, along with those who admit that they chose to be gay, just show the born gay theory to be a hoax.

Second, how in the bloody hell am I molesting the Constitution. I'm pretty sure there's nothing in the Constitution saying being bisexual or homosexual is wrong.

Not applicable to anything you said in this thread, but using the constitution as a defense for aberrant sexual behavior is indeed a rape job.
rockwater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 5:07:54 PM
At 7/17/2013 4:31:03 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At 7/17/2013 3:53:30 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

lol...That one actually was an oversight. I just meant to say that it's overkill.

I don't see how gay people could possibly have room to oppose anyone else's sexual morality. I think it has to do with the fact that bisexuals, along with those who admit that they chose to be gay, just show the born gay theory to be a hoax.

What you just said is precisely why some gay people are biphobic. They think that people will use the existence of bisexuals as proof that homosexuality is a choice, like you just attempted to. It is nothing new for one oppressed minority to start to discriminate against another minority in its attempts to assimilate into the dominant culture. Not only that, but gay males often discriminate against lesbians because of the sexism pervasive in our society. And gays, lesbians, and bisexuals all at times discriminate against transsexuals, who are quite likely the most persecuted part of the LGBT community.

The main reason why the existence of bisexuals says nothing about whether being gay is a choice or not is that bisexual people are not gay. They are not straight either. Bisexuality is not a combination of homosexuality and heterosexuality. It is its own thing. The whole point of this thread is that people should stop calling bisexuals something that they are not.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 5:19:58 PM
I would like to explore this issue a bit, as I have opinions on Bisexuals. However, if you would rather me not comment, or would rather it be done via PM, I will oblige. I do not want to be viewed as attacking you or trolling.

I do think my ignorance on this issue may be cathardic for others here, so I am willing to look like an jackass in public.
My work here is, finally, done.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 8:39:18 PM
If you were bisexual, would it not be easier just to be straight? That way, there are still plenty of partners for you, and you do not have to deal with the stigma of being bisexual.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 8:49:30 PM
At 7/17/2013 8:39:18 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
If you were bisexual, would it not be easier just to be straight? That way, there are still plenty of partners for you, and you do not have to deal with the stigma of being bisexual.

This completely misses the point. If you're bisexual, YOU'RE BISEXUAL. You can't just "be straight" or whatever.

twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 8:52:40 PM
At 7/17/2013 8:49:30 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

This completely misses the point. If you're bisexual, YOU'RE BISEXUAL. You can't just "be straight" or whatever.

If you are Bisexual, you can choose to only sleep with women, and would be no worse off than the average straight guy.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 8:57:10 PM
At 7/17/2013 8:52:40 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

If you are Bisexual, you can choose to only sleep with women, and would be no worse off than the average straight guy.

Bisexuality isn't always an even split where you couldn't care less. Some prefer women over men, some prefer men over women, some are perfectly equal. Of course, some DO only date/sleep with one sex for periods in their life. But it's not a permanent thing.

More importantly, bisexuality is a key aspect of a bisexual's identity. What you suggest is akin to asking someone to ignore/reject a part of themselves.

twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 9:01:31 PM
At 7/17/2013 8:57:10 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Bisexuality isn't always an even split where you couldn't care less. Some prefer women over men, some prefer men over women, some are perfectly equal. Of course, some DO only date/sleep with one sex for periods in their life. But it's not a permanent thing.

More importantly, bisexuality is a key aspect of a bisexual's identity. What you suggest is akin to asking someone to ignore/reject a part of themselves.

If someone enjoyed eating chocolate ice cream and poop. One could avoid shaming/be normal, by not eating poop and instead eating chocolate ice cream.

I am not saying it is bad to be bisexual. But, by definition, bisexuals have a choice of who they want to have sex with. By eliminating a sex to become straight or gay, they are no worse off than an average straight/gay man.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 9:46:28 PM
At 7/17/2013 9:01:31 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

If someone enjoyed eating chocolate ice cream and poop. One could avoid shaming/be normal, by not eating poop and instead eating chocolate ice cream.

I am not saying it is bad to be bisexual. But, by definition, bisexuals have a choice of who they want to have sex with. By eliminating a sex to become straight or gay, they are no worse off than an average straight/gay man.

LMFAO oh man. Never stop posting in this thread. Never.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 9:50:36 PM

I still don't think you understand the fundamentals of sexual identity.

medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 11:14:46 PM

Bisexuals are like candy bars...

http://cdn.qualitylogoproducts.com...
rockwater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 12:19:35 PM
Telling a bi person they should only date the opposite sex is like telling a straight person they should only date people of one race. People fall in love with whom they fall in love with.
llamainmypocket
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 2:04:23 PM

Of the topic in question, I didn't think you said anything unreasonable in that initial post. The issue is probably that the negative association to pedophilia and it's comparison to homosexuality offended the gay crowd. It wasn't an issue of your reasoning but their feelings.

I would agree with your observation that they are confusing your criticism for everything they can subjectively establish as wrong according to their beliefs. To which a rational person must say, does not lead and is an invalid argument.

I never thought for one moment that you were homophobic.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 4:44:11 PM
At 7/18/2013 12:19:35 PM, rockwater wrote:
Telling a bi person they should only date the opposite sex is like telling a straight person they should only date people of one race. People fall in love with whom they fall in love with.

I am all for people falling in love with whomever they wish. However, if someone is attracted to normal people and something weird like albino midgets with no limbs, perhaps it is best just to stick with normal people and not date albino midgets with no limbs, eh?
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 4:46:19 PM
At 7/17/2013 9:50:36 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Then perhaps you could explain:)
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 5:32:57 PM
At 7/17/2013 12:53:18 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Bi women are hot.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
rockwater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 6:19:47 PM
At 7/18/2013 4:44:11 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

I am all for people falling in love with whomever they wish. However, if someone is attracted to normal people and something weird like albino midgets with no limbs, perhaps it is best just to stick with normal people and not date albino midgets with no limbs, eh?

What is weird about two people of the same sex loving each other?
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 6:35:38 PM
At 7/18/2013 6:19:47 PM, rockwater wrote:

Nothing. I love my sons, my brother, my friends. But when you sexualize those feelings it's just wrong. Men were not made to have sexual relationships with men and women with women, and that's obvious by looking at your own body. That isn't love, it's sodomy.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 6:40:18 PM
At 7/18/2013 6:35:38 PM, medic0506 wrote:

Nothing. I love my sons, my brother, my friends. But when you sexualize those feelings it's just wrong. Men were not made to have sexual relationships with men and women with women, and that's obvious by looking at your own body. That isn't love, it's sodomy.

Oooooh, sodomy! It's been a while since I've heard someone pull that word out. Watch out, gays, lest you be destroyed by fiery meteors sent from above.

Anyway, this is an appeal to nature that is truly truly pathetic. You know what else men were not made to do? Fly around in giant tin tubes at hundreds of miles per hour in the sky. Men were not made to build and live in giant boxes.

medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 6:51:49 PM
At 7/18/2013 6:40:18 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Oooooh, sodomy! It's been a while since I've heard someone pull that word out. Watch out, gays, lest you be destroyed by fiery meteors sent from above.

Anyway, this is an appeal to nature that is truly truly pathetic. You know what else men were not made to do? Fly around in giant tin tubes at hundreds of miles per hour in the sky. Men were not made to build and live in giant boxes.

Those things serve a valid purpose. Homosexuality, sodomy if you prefer, has no valid purpose other than filling perverse sexual desires.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 7:08:27 PM

What is so weird anout loving an albino midget with not limbs?

First of all, are you talking about love or sexual desires/romance? As love is not weird.

It is pretty strange if someone is gay, as most guys are attracted to women and repulsed my men. Women are pretty and guys are not. As for bisexuals, it is also pretty weird. Like, how can you be attracted to both girls and guys? It is like there is a double personality or something. Guys and girls are so different. Would they be attracted to manly girls, or girly men?
Citrakayah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 9:10:07 PM
At 7/18/2013 6:51:49 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At 7/18/2013 6:40:18 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Those things serve a valid purpose. Homosexuality, sodomy if you prefer, has no valid purpose other than filling perverse sexual desires.

Don't know about perverse...
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 11:04:59 PM

What's wrong with loving sodomy?
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 11:29:26 PM
At 7/18/2013 7:08:27 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

First of all, are you talking about love or sexual desires/romance? As love is not weird.

It is pretty strange if someone is gay, as most guys are attracted to women and repulsed my men. Women are pretty and guys are not. As for bisexuals, it is also pretty weird. Like, how can you be attracted to both girls and guys? It is like there is a double personality or something. Guys and girls are so different. Would they be attracted to manly girls, or girly men?

Simply put, bisexuality is a whole different sexuality. You can't try and apply monosexual thinking to it.

I'm not trying to be condescending at all, but it's true: bisexuality is so different than simply being attracted to the same sex or simply being attracted to the opposite sex that it really can't be explained. You kind of have to be bisexual to "get" it.

Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 12:02:46 AM
At 7/18/2013 7:08:27 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

I think this is that point where curiosity (if it's genuine) gets annoying.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 12:36:53 PM
At 7/18/2013 4:46:19 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
At 7/17/2013 9:50:36 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Then perhaps you could explain:)

My point is that sexual identity is an essentially irrevocable and permanent part of a person's total identity. Something like bisexuality, even though it can include a preference of one sex over the other, still includes BOTH, and thus it's a bit useless to say "Well, I'm in love with this guy, but i decided I was going to be straight, so no d1ck for me." It's essentially the same reason why a straight man can't say, "Y'know, it'd be more popular for me among my friends to be gay. I guess I should just swear off the evils of vagina and learn to love the D."