Jump to topic:

Rape

TheMellowMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2013 11:56:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Why is rape seen as such a bad thing/worse than other forms of assault? I always see news on rape everywhere, but there's not as much emphasis or outrage on other forms of assault. What makes this so much worse?
Cowboy0108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 12:26:32 AM
It is degrading.
While many forms of assault hurt the body, rape hurts the mind in addition to the body.
A person who commits rape is definitely more of a monster(that's the technical term)than a person who just beats up on people.
This type of assault can pass diseases and can cause pregnancies.
The person who commits rape should die.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 12:29:50 AM
At 7/27/2013 11:56:40 PM, TheMellowMan wrote:
Why is rape seen as such a bad thing/worse than other forms of assault? I always see news on rape everywhere, but there's not as much emphasis or outrage on other forms of assault. What makes this so much worse?

Since you didn't specify the type of assaults I don't know exactly what you are referring to.

If some guy randomly slaps me as I'm walking down the street, that is assault.

Rape is worse than that for obvious reasons.
Debate.org Moderator
TheMellowMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 12:33:45 AM
At 7/28/2013 12:26:32 AM, Cowboy0108 wrote:
It is degrading.
Being assaulted is degrading.

While many forms of assault hurt the body, rape hurts the mind in addition to the body.
Other forms of assault mentally damage the victim.

A person who commits rape is definitely more of a monster(that's the technical term)than a person who just beats up on people.
Why? It's just a way to beat up on people. And you can beat up on someone pretty bad.

Assault can end pregnancies, if the victim is pregnant. Assault can also kill, cause permanent mental damage, and other serious things, just like rape. Also consensual sex can also pass on diseases, so can getting a mosquito bite.

Why not someone who just assaults someone else?
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 12:35:05 AM

Rape is sex as well as violence. Sex affects every other aspect of a person's psyche. Getting beaten around the head with a baseball bat doesn't take your virginity. It doesn't make you pregnant. It doesn't make you feel like a slvt afterwards. It can't make you have orgasms and wonder if you secretly liked it (unless you're a masochist). It doesn't violate your body. It doesn't make your husband feel secret betrayal that he's ashamed of (remember, you did technically have sex with another man). It doesn't give you STDs. It doesn't force you to be intimate with somebody. It doesn't violate the sacred rules of sexual conduct. Rape is what it says on the tin - forcing somebody else to have sex. The victim must suffer the consequences of having sex whether they like it or not.
TheMellowMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 12:37:05 AM
At 7/28/2013 12:29:50 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

Since you didn't specify the type of assaults I don't know exactly what you are referring to.
Sure, fair point.

Yes.

I completely agree, that form of assault would be inferior.

I apologize for not specifying. I am grouping in rape with the legal term felonious assault, many people believe it to be worse than the other forms of felonious assault. I fail to see why.
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 12:37:07 AM
At 7/28/2013 12:26:32 AM, Cowboy0108 wrote:
It is degrading.

What's this "should"? Just get a katana and happy hunting.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 12:51:23 AM
At 7/28/2013 12:37:05 AM, TheMellowMan wrote:
At 7/28/2013 12:29:50 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

Sure, fair point.

Yes.

I completely agree, that form of assault would be inferior.

I apologize for not specifying. I am grouping in rape with the legal term felonious assault, many people believe it to be worse than the other forms of felonious assault. I fail to see why.

I think Jack212's reply just above does a good job explaining why. It potentially damages someone far more than just being possibly beaten to even near death.
Debate.org Moderator
the_croftmeister
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 1:18:43 AM
I wonder if perhaps he is asking whether the differences in the way people do feel about rape after the fact are actually justified differences. If it was socially accepted that poking someone in the eye was psychologically more hurtful than cutting someone's finger off (because you have other fingers, and the fear of being blind is much greater than the fear of losing a finger) then would it be justified to view such things differently? Perhaps if a more rational approach was taken to sex in general then these problems would be less of an issue.

However, the fact of the matter is that sex is a hugely controversial topic in society with more emotion and heat attached to it than just about anything else. I would probably do something to change that if I could, but we have to deal with reality.
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 1:38:48 AM
At 7/28/2013 1:18:43 AM, the_croftmeister wrote:
I wonder if perhaps he is asking whether the differences in the way people do feel about rape after the fact are actually justified differences. If it was socially accepted that poking someone in the eye was psychologically more hurtful than cutting someone's finger off (because you have other fingers, and the fear of being blind is much greater than the fear of losing a finger) then would it be justified to view such things differently? Perhaps if a more rational approach was taken to sex in general then these problems would be less of an issue.

However, the fact of the matter is that sex is a hugely controversial topic in society with more emotion and heat attached to it than just about anything else. I would probably do something to change that if I could, but we have to deal with reality.

I doubt it's a social thing. Non-social animals like cats have a similar reaction to being raped. I think it's innate to our psychology. PTSD after rape doesn't prevent successful breeding (and may even make the victim more compliant to rapists who want to breed), so there's no reason for Natural Selection to act against it.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 5:01:41 AM

Domestic abuse gets a lot of outrage...

But, the answer is the level of violation.
Not only is it physical, the fact that one was overpowered.
It is mental, as you are helpless while violated.
It is also immensly personal, as it strips away all sense of intimacy, privacy, and personal space by force.

Most other assualts do not violate others on that severe of level, and generally not on all these levels.

As for other felony assaults, what are you talking about?
To my knowledge, it is often a felony if a gun is used in the commission of a crime, so being pistol whipped is a felony assault, which is by far worse than rape.
My work here is, finally, done.
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 5:26:59 AM
Germaine Greer (controversial Australian feminist) has some extreme and controversial views on the subject of rape. I'm not sure what to think about them.

She writes that:

"It is not women who have decided that rape is so heinous, but men. The only weapon that counts in rape is the penis, which is conceptualised as devastating. Yet a man can do more harm with his thumb than he can with his thin-skinned penis. But it is his penis that is to him the symbol and instrument of his potency. The notion of rape is the direct expression of male phallocentricity, which women should know better than to accept.

If you talk to raped women, they usually resent all the other insults that accompanied the rape more than the unwanted presence of a penis in the vagina. The forcing of a penis into a mouth, for example, is not rape but sexual assault, yet a victim may resent it more; likewise forcible buggery, ejaculating on to the face or breasts, and so forth. In some cases, what remains in the memory and continues to perturb years after the event are the words a rapist forced his victim to say.

If physical assault were not so terrifying to women, most rapes would never happen. If you allow a man to put his penis into your body because otherwise he will cut your nose off, you clearly feel that having your nose cut off is miles worse, but the asinine law does not agree with you. The punishment for cutting your nose off would be less than the punishment for rape, but then you wouldn't be suspected of having consented to having your nose cut off.

Historically, the crime of rape is not an offence against women, but an offence committed against men by other men. The man who has control of a woman, historically her father, guardian or husband, has a case against the man who makes unauthorised use of her. When the state seeks redress, it acts on behalf of the patriarchy and not on behalf of the injured woman.
"

http://www.independent.co.uk...
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 6:07:04 AM
At 7/28/2013 12:35:05 AM, Jack212 wrote:

Rape is sex as well as violence. Sex affects every other aspect of a person's psyche. Getting beaten around the head with a baseball bat doesn't take your virginity.

Rape doesn't necessarily do that either.

It doesn't make you pregnant.

See above.

It doesn't make you feel like a slvt afterwards.

Well, no it doesn't, though I have no understanding of why rape would do that, other than because of some societally imposed bullsh!t. And why is being a slvt a bad thing? I understand why we evolved to perceive it as such, but not why we continue to do so. But, I digress, some people, after being assaulted heavily, become so paranoid that they are unable to leave their home. And some even have such bad ptsd, that they kill themselves.

It can't make you have orgasms and wonder if you secretly liked it (unless you're a masochist).

Again, rape doesn't necessarily do that either.

It doesn't violate your body.

You clearly haven't been assaulted.

It doesn't make your husband feel secret betrayal that he's ashamed of (remember, you did technically have sex with another man).

Yes, because the fact that some guy might be an idiot is definitely great reasoning in this situation.

It doesn't give you STDs.

Can you please try and give one reason that is necessarily inherent in rape. Like, for instance, ptsd.

It doesn't force you to be intimate with somebody.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't feel very intimate with my rapist.

It doesn't violate the sacred rules of sexual conduct.

Seriously? This makes me question whether you're being facetious.

Rape is what it says on the tin - forcing somebody else to have sex. The victim must suffer the consequences of having sex whether they like it or not.

Yeah, and people being assaulted aren't forced to suffer the consequences of being beaten. Sh!t, how many people have died from just being raped? I'm sure it's a hell of a lot less than those who have been beaten.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say that assault is worse than rape, I think that neither is necessarily worse than the other. What I'm trying to say is that your reasoning is sh!t. Oh, and that a lot of the negatives of being raped are societally imposed. I doubt that tens of thousands of years ago, when our ancestors were still developing language, that rape victims were still as mentally afflicted by the rape. Because they didn't have the same view of sex, that we do.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 6:09:12 AM
At 7/28/2013 5:26:59 AM, rross wrote:
Germaine Greer (controversial Australian feminist) has some extreme and controversial views on the subject of rape. I'm not sure what to think about them.

She writes that:

"It is not women who have decided that rape is so heinous, but men. The only weapon that counts in rape is the penis, which is conceptualised as devastating. Yet a man can do more harm with his thumb than he can with his thin-skinned penis. But it is his penis that is to him the symbol and instrument of his potency. The notion of rape is the direct expression of male phallocentricity, which women should know better than to accept.

If you talk to raped women, they usually resent all the other insults that accompanied the rape more than the unwanted presence of a penis in the vagina. The forcing of a penis into a mouth, for example, is not rape but sexual assault, yet a victim may resent it more; likewise forcible buggery, ejaculating on to the face or breasts, and so forth. In some cases, what remains in the memory and continues to perturb years after the event are the words a rapist forced his victim to say.

If physical assault were not so terrifying to women, most rapes would never happen. If you allow a man to put his penis into your body because otherwise he will cut your nose off, you clearly feel that having your nose cut off is miles worse, but the asinine law does not agree with you. The punishment for cutting your nose off would be less than the punishment for rape, but then you wouldn't be suspected of having consented to having your nose cut off.

Historically, the crime of rape is not an offence against women, but an offence committed against men by other men. The man who has control of a woman, historically her father, guardian or husband, has a case against the man who makes unauthorised use of her. When the state seeks redress, it acts on behalf of the patriarchy and not on behalf of the injured woman.
"

I believe this is the first time I have read feminist literature, that I entirely agree with.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Df0512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 9:25:28 AM

i think the only way you can get an accurate answer is if you askd some one who was actually raped. However the answer seems obvious. I mean think about it, would you rather have a guy beat you down or rape you. Personally I'd take the beat down evry time.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 9:53:17 AM
At 7/28/2013 5:26:59 AM, rross wrote:

She writes that:

"

So rape is mainly about abuse of power with some vestiges of property rights applied to a de facto slave? That sounds quite accurate to me. To note, I'm not saying that it's an anachronistic crime, just that it's interesting to see it that way.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 10:29:35 AM
At 7/28/2013 9:25:28 AM, Df0512 wrote:

i think the only way you can get an accurate answer is if you askd some one who was actually raped. However the answer seems obvious. I mean think about it, would you rather have a guy beat you down or rape you. Personally I'd take the beat down evry time.

Personally, it would depend how bad the beat down is, and whether or not I got to fight back.

Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 6:50:47 PM
@ muzebreak

1. Rape doesn't always do these things, but it can.

2. No matter what society says, everybody has their own standard of what would make them a slvt. If I had sex with 3 people in one night, I'd feel like trash. For others, that's their typical weekend. If I was forced to have sex with 3 people in one night, I'd still feel like trash for having been with 3 people even if it was against my will. In fact, doing it against my will would make it worse because it destroys my sense of self-control further.

3. I have been assaulted, actually. I'd rather repeat that than have somebody poke their dick up my bum.

4. The husband's idiocy is very relevant, as he's an important part of her life. He probably feels angry at himself for feeling this way, which causes marital friction that could mess up her healing process.

5. You wouldn't have a choice about being intimate with them, that's the point.

6. I'm not being facetious, though my wording was poor. Human mating has a lot of ritual attached to it, and rape violates it. Rape violates everything.

7. Actually, they probably did. Mental scarring is observed in human and animal groups with different societal structures/rules, which suggests a biological/psychological cause more than a social one (though social factors can make it worse).

8. Why don't you go ask somebody to rape you? Then you'll have a basis for comparison.

@ wrichcirw

Men get territorial when it comes to women, so any "property" stuff stems from that.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 6:57:35 PM
At 7/28/2013 6:50:47 PM, Jack212 wrote:
@ muzebreak

2. No matter what society says, everybody has their own standard of what would make them a slvt. If I had sex with 3 people in one night, I'd feel like trash. For others, that's their typical weekend. If I was forced to have sex with 3 people in one night, I'd still feel like trash for having been with 3 people even if it was against my will. In fact, doing it against my will would make it worse because it destroys my sense of self-control further.

3. I have been assaulted, actually. I'd rather repeat that than have somebody poke their dick up my bum.

4. The husband's idiocy is very relevant, as he's an important part of her life. He probably feels angry at himself for feeling this way, which causes marital friction that could mess up her healing process.

6. I'm not being facetious, though my wording was poor. Human mating has a lot of ritual attached to it, and rape violates it. Rape violates everything.

7. Actually, they probably did. Mental scarring is observed in human and animal groups with different societal structures/rules, which suggests a biological/psychological cause more than a social one (though social factors can make it worse).

8. Why don't you go ask somebody to rape you? Then you'll have a basis for comparison.

@ wrichcirw

Men get territorial when it comes to women, so any "property" stuff stems from that.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
the_croftmeister
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 7:01:14 PM
@ muzebreak

@ wrichcirw

Well, some of us do anyway.
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 8:03:13 PM
At 7/28/2013 7:01:14 PM, the_croftmeister wrote:
@ muzebreak

@ wrichcirw

Are you saying you wouldn't get angry if some guy started making out with your girlfriend or sister?
Citrakayah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 8:46:12 PM
At 7/28/2013 8:03:13 PM, Jack212 wrote:
@ muzebreak

@ wrichcirw

Are you saying you wouldn't get angry if some guy started making out with your girlfriend or sister?

Girlfriend: Would find it sexy. Would join in.
Sister: Wouldn't mind.

Oh, and as someone who has been sexually harassed, I would prefer getting punched to sexually harassed.
Kristinajimp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 9:03:40 AM
I was raped 5 years ago by a stranger. There are a lot of exaggerations on the damaging effects of rape. Unlike losing a limb or being horribly disfigured, the aftermath of a rape is something that does not have to be lasting. Those that go overboard about the after effects and make extravagant claims about the damaged rape caused a person are doing as much harm as those that take rape too lightly. I am not saying rape is not traumatic. Rape is traumatic because having your body invaded so intimately by another against your will tends to diminish your sense of security.

With counseling and support from family and friends, a victim can recover from rape.

That being said, child sexual abuse is usually extremely traumatic and those that suffer such abuse have a great deal of difficulty recovering from it. It is especially difficult if the abuse was by a family member.
Fanny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 9:13:57 AM
If someone nails someone down and then horribly disfigures them and that will not receive as much outcry as rape when it should receive more outcry and sympathy.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 11:06:38 AM
At 7/29/2013 9:13:57 AM, Fanny wrote:
If someone nails someone down and then horribly disfigures them and that will not receive as much outcry as rape when it should receive more outcry and sympathy.

Perhaps I am misinterpreting what you're saying, but are you seriously comparing a crucifixion to a rape and saying that a crucified victim receives less outcry and less sympathy?

There's an entire religion that is dedicated to debunking that claim.
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 11:12:44 AM

Well, I'd get angry if I was with friends and some total stranger came looking for a fight with one of us. I'm not sure I'd call that territorial though.

That's different from men getting protective over women because a woman was reduced to a baby-making piece of property - this is inherent in a man having control over a woman in an environment in which a woman had few if any rights as a human being. This is implied in the whole "makes unauthorised use of her" comment.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 12:50:46 PM
Rape is a sexually-charged and highly invasive crime, and leaves the victim feeling like he or she was violated on every level. I dunno how else to put it. Rape is just very sexual in nature, and sexcrimes oftentimes are much more taboo and damaging.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 1:29:07 PM
There are a lot of reasons, many of which have been touched upon. But also consider:

1. The culture of victim blaming. While this may happen with any crime (well, you shouldn't have left your door unlocked) it is magnitudes worse with rape, wherein woman are almost inherently seen as culpable to some degree.

2. Collateral damage. Again, while any serious crime can have deep and long-lasting psychological impacts, the sexual nature of rape, combined with the sexual component of intimate relationships, ties the two together in a closer way than non-sexual crimes.
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 6:16:04 PM
@ Kristinajimp

I'm sorry you had to go through that, and am happy that you've moved past it. I had a friend who was raped, so I know how hard it can be to live with (she shot herself in the end).

I think rape is a subject that should addressed with the utmost honesty and compassion. Too many people use the issue to further their own political agendas, which makes it harder to deal with. How are we supposed to educate people about the dangers and consequences of rape when people are exaggerating the occurrence (1 in 4 women, seriously?) or lying about the causes (it is not a means to the end of gender oppression).

@ wrichcirw

Men don't monopolize women because they're baby-making machines. That may be why we evolved such behavior, but that's not what's going through our heads at the time.
the_croftmeister
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 6:20:24 PM
@ muzebreak

@ wrichcirw

Provided my girlfriend was ok with it, and I didn't hate the guy already for other reasons (in which case I would be mad at her as well) of course there is a time and a place for such things but my security in my relationship is such that I don't feel threatened. Sister I can't really speak for as I don't have one, I can't imagine it would be a problem.