Total Posts:13|Showing Posts:1-13
Jump to topic:

The Hostess Conspiracy

FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 7:22:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I saw this in the store the other day: https://sphotos-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net...

Posted the picture to Facebook.

Here is the conspiracy, posited by my friend in a comment:

Hostess faked bankruptcy. Advanced propaganda about how much of a tragedy it is. Then revived itself.

Discuss.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
airmax1227
Posts: 13,244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 7:24:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/29/2013 7:22:05 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I saw this in the store the other day: https://sphotos-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net...

Posted the picture to Facebook.

Here is the conspiracy, posited by my friend in a comment:

Hostess faked bankruptcy. Advanced propaganda about how much of a tragedy it is. Then revived itself.

Discuss.

I think the bankruptcy was legit cuz the paper trail shows they had significant financial problems. It's tough to fake that. The motivation for that would only come if they thought it was good marketing, but if you are already a successful business, why fake a bankruptcy?

This is pretty amusing and I love the new tag on the packaging, but like most conspiracies it's probably more rooted in the conventional wisdom.

Hostess is run by a bunch of alien lizards though. That part is true.
Debate.org Moderator
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 7:37:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/29/2013 7:24:47 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
I think the bankruptcy was legit cuz the paper trail shows they had significant financial problems. It's tough to fake that. The motivation for that would only come if they thought it was good marketing, but if you are already a successful business, why fake a bankruptcy?

Soooo...first you say that they were having financial issues. And this is evidence to Con. Then you say that a business which is doing well would not need to fake it. Doesn't it make sense then?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
airmax1227
Posts: 13,244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 7:42:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/29/2013 7:37:35 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/29/2013 7:24:47 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
I think the bankruptcy was legit cuz the paper trail shows they had significant financial problems. It's tough to fake that. The motivation for that would only come if they thought it was good marketing, but if you are already a successful business, why fake a bankruptcy?


Soooo...first you say that they were having financial issues. And this is evidence to Con. Then you say that a business which is doing well would not need to fake it. Doesn't it make sense then?

The confusion in how I explained that is just part of the hostess conspiracy.

Hostess failed and all the evidence points to this, they were in fact very close to disappearing from existence altogether.

if this wasn't the case, why invest in such a marketing ploy that could damage the brand if it weren't actually true?

It's a bold and dangerous move it not entirely necessary.

However, if they were merely at a stagnating level but fiscally sound otherwise, I'd say this was more plausible, but it would still be too risky to damage the brand for this type of marketing gimmick.
Debate.org Moderator
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 7:46:16 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/29/2013 7:42:21 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
if this wasn't the case, why invest in such a marketing ploy that could damage the brand if it weren't actually true?

Because believing in conspiracies is usually regarded as silly.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
airmax1227
Posts: 13,244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 7:47:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/29/2013 7:46:16 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/29/2013 7:42:21 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
if this wasn't the case, why invest in such a marketing ploy that could damage the brand if it weren't actually true?

Because believing in conspiracies is usually regarded as silly.

Believing in fraud is prudent though. Hostess would have to cook their books to show they didn't have money, when they really did.
Debate.org Moderator
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 7:50:58 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/29/2013 7:47:14 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 7/29/2013 7:46:16 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/29/2013 7:42:21 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
if this wasn't the case, why invest in such a marketing ploy that could damage the brand if it weren't actually true?

Because believing in conspiracies is usually regarded as silly.

Believing in fraud is prudent though. Hostess would have to cook their books to show they didn't have money, when they really did.

Hmm.

I suppose there is also another possibility. The bankruptcy was real. But they still put out propaganda as a last hope effort.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
airmax1227
Posts: 13,244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 7:56:49 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/29/2013 7:50:58 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/29/2013 7:47:14 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 7/29/2013 7:46:16 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/29/2013 7:42:21 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
if this wasn't the case, why invest in such a marketing ploy that could damage the brand if it weren't actually true?

Because believing in conspiracies is usually regarded as silly.

Believing in fraud is prudent though. Hostess would have to cook their books to show they didn't have money, when they really did.

Hmm.

I suppose there is also another possibility. The bankruptcy was real. But they still put out propaganda as a last hope effort.

I'd say that's more probable.

Who would want to live in a world without Twinkies?

It's not a life worth living, Hostess told me so.
Debate.org Moderator
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 8:46:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I don't care. I'm just happy I have my HoHo's back.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 8:54:54 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I don't see what's the big deal. Those things are gross and unhealthy
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 6:27:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
FrackJack
Posts: 1,392
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 1:07:30 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/29/2013 8:46:31 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
I don't care. I'm just happy I have my HoHo's back.
: At 8/8/2013 6:15:09 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
: The idiots are rebelling.

http://i.imgur.com...