Jump to topic:

How important are familial ties?

Bannanawamajama
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 8:44:38 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Specifically, I am wondering about siblings. Personally I love my parents and although I don't really talk to them much, just a call on the weekend, thats just because I'm a naturally quiet person. However, I haven't spoken to my sibling in nearly a year now, and honestly I have no idea what's going on with him.

Its not that we ever had issues or fought, but rather I was a very solitary person who didn't try too hard to be friends with him, and he was a very popular person who always had other friends to go see. We get along fine whenever we see each other, but honestly for the most part I don't think much about him, we don't really seem much like family.

How seriously do you think people should take family ties? Are they really a societally important bond thats worth maintaining? Or do you think its just out of sake of tradition that we bother, and its not really that big a deal?
Df0512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2013 1:42:35 PM
At 8/4/2013 8:44:38 PM, Bannanawamajama wrote:
Specifically, I am wondering about siblings. Personally I love my parents and although I don't really talk to them much, just a call on the weekend, thats just because I'm a naturally quiet person. However, I haven't spoken to my sibling in nearly a year now, and honestly I have no idea what's going on with him.

Its not that we ever had issues or fought, but rather I was a very solitary person who didn't try too hard to be friends with him, and he was a very popular person who always had other friends to go see. We get along fine whenever we see each other, but honestly for the most part I don't think much about him, we don't really seem much like family.

How seriously do you think people should take family ties? Are they really a societally important bond thats worth maintaining? Or do you think its just out of sake of tradition that we bother, and its not really that big a deal?

I think family ties are very important. Of course that is really up to the individual but I believe that this country needs these type of ideals. And family ideals are failing hard in this country. To co-exist in the type of society we live in, forming and protecting bonds with one another is necessary. Especially faimlies, that dynamic, imho, is 100% necessary.
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2013 8:41:31 PM
At 8/4/2013 8:44:38 PM, Bannanawamajama wrote:

Depends on the family and on what baggage "familial ties" entails.
Bannanawamajama
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2013 9:52:33 PM
No baggage really. I just mean should you make an effort to maintain contact with your family if you are sort of indifferent to them.
Df0512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2013 12:48:59 PM
At 8/5/2013 9:52:33 PM, Bannanawamajama wrote:
No baggage really. I just mean should you make an effort to maintain contact with your family if you are sort of indifferent to them.

I think people have a sort of moral obligation too keep up with family. Even if your not particularly close, you want to be able to lean on them in your time of need. And you never know when they my need you. Plus it always sucks when the next time you see them is in a casket. You only have one family. But thats up to you.