Jump to topic:

Are You Racist?

pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2013 3:05:54 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Do you consider any race of humans deserves less respect from you based solely on their race/heritage?

Why?
Disquisition
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2013 6:38:57 PM
At 8/16/2013 3:05:54 PM, pozessed wrote:
Do you consider any race of humans deserves less respect from you based solely on their race/heritage?

Why?

How would you define racism?

1. Having discriminatory thoughts towards another race?
2. Physically assaulting another race?
3. Verbal onslaughts of another race?

All above encompass racism in my opinion. As far as me being racist, maybe I've had prejudice thoughts at one time or another but I don't act on them. Everyone should be treated equally and as human beings but we all know this isn't always the case.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2013 8:48:00 PM
I grew up in an extremely violent and dangerous city (Camden, NJ) until I was 18. It was also extremely diverse, except for whites. I didn't even see a white person in real life until like late middle school.

Anywho, I remember walking down the street one day as a kid and getting the sense that someone was following me. I turned around, saw it was a white guy, and thought to myself "Oh, it's just a white guy." I then paused and realized what I just thought. I understood how racist the thought was, but I also realized the circumstances that bred that thought in me.

In any case, my girlfriend is black so I'm cool.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2013 10:32:29 AM

Why?

No, I try to judge on a person by person basis. I think that discrimination is only really useful in a few certain situations in modern life. I do notice that certain races seem to ask in certain ways, or group together, probably mostly as a result of cultural or ideological reasons, but some of it may have certain genetic tendencies, I guess.

I definitely don't consider any race of humans deserves less respect from me based solely on their race/heritage. I don't believe any gender deserves less respect based on their gender either.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2013 3:52:44 AM
At 8/16/2013 4:58:57 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Absolutely!
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2013 3:53:59 AM
At 8/16/2013 8:48:00 PM, Maikuru wrote:
my girlfriend is black so I'm cool.

Totally. You can pretty much do whatever you want at this point and you're safe.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Jojodancer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2013 5:40:11 AM
Yes, of course. I dislike , ridicule , and stereotype all races, sexes, and sexualities. In know way does this mean I hate anyone. I may despise a certain style, trait , or fad that a group presents. This is natural, as someone walks your way you begin to formulate thoughts based on appearance. We all do it. Overall I try my best to make opinions based on the individual. Not on physical characteristics or affiliations.
W.J.Ash
Df0512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2013 10:58:32 AM
At 8/18/2013 3:53:59 AM, Oryus wrote:
my girlfriend is black so I'm cool.

Totally. You can pretty much do whatever you want at this point and you're safe.

lol because it's true.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2013 11:13:33 AM

Why?

It would be absurd to claim that a person was less of a person because of where they came from or what color their skin is. But, if, for example, a person was born into a culture that oppresses women and persecutes homosexuality, and that person chose to buy into their culturally inherited norms (oppressing women, and persecutes gays and lesbians), then they -on an individual level- can certainly be judged on that basis.

Recognize that this, essentially, is the tension between liberalism and multiculturalism. It looks like, for example, liberals would or should on the one hand condemn fundamentalist religions, but on the other hand should be tolerant of cultural diversity. I am not tolerant of intolerance, at home (with social conservatives, like Rick Santorum or WBC) or abroad (with zealots in Africa and the Middle East, etc.) -and because race may tend to correlate to cultural denunciation, I've heard some people (especially social conservatives in the United States) make claims that suggest that Liberals are racists because they denounce cultures abroad. That is absurd, though, because culture is the thing I/we don't accept -not race.
Tsar of DDO
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2013 12:20:46 PM
Without being deaf and blind, it's impossible to be wholly non-racist (unless you have a magical black girlfriend, Hitler really should have done that to not be judged by the rest of his actions). We are going to have actions motivated by race, and as long as these are kept to a low level it's not usually a problem.

However I really agree with the following...

At 8/18/2013 11:13:33 AM, YYW wrote:
It would be absurd to claim that a person was less of a person because of where they came from or what color their skin is. But, if, for example, a person was born into a culture that oppresses women and persecutes homosexuality, and that person chose to buy into their culturally inherited norms (oppressing women, and persecutes gays and lesbians), then they -on an individual level- can certainly be judged on that basis.

Recognize that this, essentially, is the tension between liberalism and multiculturalism. It looks like, for example, liberals would or should on the one hand condemn fundamentalist religions, but on the other hand should be tolerant of cultural diversity. I am not tolerant of intolerance, at home (with social conservatives, like Rick Santorum or WBC) or abroad (with zealots in Africa and the Middle East, etc.) -and because race may tend to correlate to cultural denunciation, I've heard some people (especially social conservatives in the United States) make claims that suggest that Liberals are racists because they denounce cultures abroad. That is absurd, though, because culture is the thing I/we don't accept -not race.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2013 12:36:25 PM
Only against blacks, hispanics, Jews, Asians, Native Americans and mixed race people
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2013 12:37:15 PM
At 8/18/2013 12:36:25 PM, thett3 wrote:
Only against blacks, hispanics, Jews, Asians, Native Americans and mixed race people

Oh and Arabs
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2013 12:45:52 PM

Why?

I cannot be racist, I have a Hispanic friend and I voted for Obama.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 12:36:17 AM
The only joy liberals have is feeling morally superior to virtually everyone else in the world, on the grounds that all their inferiors are inescapably racist. So if you want to make a liberal happy, say something at least slightly racist to him. Then he can frolic in his joy. Don't be selfish, make someone happy.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 1:03:42 AM
At 8/19/2013 12:36:17 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
The only joy liberals have is feeling morally superior to virtually everyone else in the world, on the grounds that all their inferiors are inescapably racist. So if you want to make a liberal happy, say something at least slightly racist to him. Then he can frolic in his joy. Don't be selfish, make someone happy.

The only joy conservatives have is feeling morally superior to virtually everyone else in the world, on the grounds that all their inferiors are inescapably naive. So if you want to make a conservative happy, say something at least slightly naive to him. Then he can frolic in his joy. Don't be selfish, make someone happy.

See what I did there ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
errya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 4:40:15 AM
At 8/18/2013 12:40:31 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
There are only two kinds of people I hate, those who are intolerant of other peoples cultures, and the Dutch!

You die now.
The Most Noble Lord Horatio Nelson, Viscount and Baron Nelson, of the Nile and of Burnham Thorpe in the County of Norfolk, Baron Nelson of the Nile and of Hilborough in the said County, Knight of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath, Vice Admiral of the White Squadron of the Fleet, Commander in Chief of his Majesty's Ships and Vessels in the Mediterranean, Duke of Bront" in the Kingdom of Sicily, Knight Grand Cross of the Sicilian Order of St Ferdinand and of Merit, Member of the Ottoman Ord...
Quan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 8:54:28 AM
I have noticed that my body instinctively gets ready to defend itself when I pass certain black people in the city, but I think it's more due to how they're dressed. I don't generally look down on any particular race.

I'm more inclined to look down on obese people, particularly those who accept no responsibility. As soon as they blame genetics they immediately lose any respect I had for them.
Mrs.lynch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2013 4:31:07 AM
Why?

I take up issue with rowdy african americans, and their society. We have them in our neighborhood, and they are constantly causing trouble, police calls, vandalizing, and making noise. It's VERY annoying. I don't hate the entire race, because not all of them are like that, but I am mis-represented by friends as racist sometimes.
IDK. The Asians, Caucasians, and Mexicans are all calm compared... So it gives the appearance that blacks only are the problem. Also there is a lot of evidence that seems to point out to blacks being more crime oriented than other races.
Mrs.lynch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2013 4:33:27 AM
At 8/19/2013 8:54:28 AM, Quan wrote:
I have noticed that my body instinctively gets ready to defend itself when I pass certain black people in the city, but I think it's more due to how they're dressed. I don't generally look down on any particular race.

See, I can understand this!! :P
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 9:13:50 AM
At 8/19/2013 1:03:42 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
The only joy conservatives have is feeling morally superior to virtually everyone else in the world, on the grounds that all their inferiors are inescapably naive. So if you want to make a conservative happy, say something at least slightly naive to him. Then he can frolic in his joy. Don't be selfish, make someone happy.

See what I did there ?

Sad attempt. Conservatives eat real food, make money and enjoy it, beat competitors, smoke cigars, throw away trash, and have showers with lots of hot water. Liberals can do none of this. Fox News consistently defends the right of MSNBC to say whatever they want, but MSNBC curses the existence of Fox News. It is a fundamental asymmetry. Liberals only joy is hate,
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 9:21:51 AM
At 8/20/2013 4:33:27 AM, Mrs.lynch wrote:

Jesse Jackson said a few years ago, "There is nothing more painful to me " than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery, then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved."
http://theracecardproject.com...

Jackson is not a racist. He is just aware that in the U.S. young black males commit crimes far more than their proportion of the population. Sad facts are still facts. However, an individual should never be judged by the averages.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2013 6:28:17 PM
No. Racism is ridiculous. Period. There are no human races. I've browsed some thread on Stormfront -- it's obvious that racists have just about zero reasonable arguments for their case.
Df0512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2013 6:35:02 PM

So your saying if a "nicely" dressed black person passed you, your body would not "instinctively get ready to defend itself"?
DeFool
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2013 10:56:07 PM
At 8/21/2013 9:21:51 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
At 8/20/2013 4:33:27 AM, Mrs.lynch wrote:

in the U.S. young black males commit crimes far more than their proportion of the population. Sad facts are still facts. However, an individual should never be judged by the averages.

This is a silly statement, that assumes race is based on nationality. If black Americans are more prone to criminality than black citizens of the UK or Germany, then this failure is unique to America, not the race or anthropological type.
DeFool
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2013 11:04:35 PM
At 8/18/2013 11:13:33 AM, YYW wrote:

Why?

Well reasoned insights, and a good justification for liberal fierceness. Tolerance of intolerance is not tolerance, but cowardice.

I will note this as a clear description of perhaps the greatest liberal paradox: can an ideology be defined as "liberal" if it includes bigotry towards religions, cultures, national institutions, traditions, etc.? I say yes.

Liberalism cannot allow itself to be defined as "I'm ok you're ok." We cannot accept the oppression of women in Afghanistan, for example - not because it is culturally accepted there and not here, but because the subjugation of women is wrong. Liberals who do stand for cultural toleration in this regard also necessarily support the oppression of Afghan women.. and lose the right to call themselves "liberal." They have accepted this oppression in the name of keeping the peace. This is not brave, or liberal.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2013 11:08:24 PM
At 8/21/2013 9:13:50 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
At 8/19/2013 1:03:42 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

See what I did there ?

Sad attempt. Conservatives eat real food, make money and enjoy it, beat competitors, smoke cigars, throw away trash, and have showers with lots of hot water. Liberals can do none of this. Fox News consistently defends the right of MSNBC to say whatever they want, but MSNBC curses the existence of Fox News. It is a fundamental asymmetry. Liberals only joy is hate,

Ill-considered attempt. Liberals eat food in proper proportions, have sex and enjoy it, co-operate with their fellow man and have showers powered by solar power. Conservatives do none of this. Conservatives only joy is thinking about how people who contradict their religious dogma will burn in eternal hell fire.

See what I did there ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2013 11:38:17 PM

In any case, my girlfriend is black so I'm cool.

Ex-girlfriend, if you keep making racist comments, like:

Tulle: I'm gonna steal some of your syrup [for my French toast]
Maikuru: Figures.
Tulle: Why, because I'm Canadian?
Maikuru: No, because you're black.

-______________-
yang.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2013 5:26:08 AM

Why?

No....unless you consider "Canadian" a race/heritage, then yes.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater