Jump to topic:

The Bystander Effect

Disquisition
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 12:49:35 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
The bystander effect is when there is a large amount of people present, an individual is less likely to help a person in distress.

In other words assistance is inversely related to the amount of people present.

This is true to some extent but I would venture to say that assistance is more so related to proximity rather than to the number of people in the room. If your walking down a hallway full of people and someone slips on a bannana spilling thier belongings in front of you. Wouldn't you feel more obligated to assist them due to your proximity to them vs being a bit further away witnessing the event.

Thus, I think the bystander effect is also directly porprotional to proximity.

Agree/Disagree?
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 12:59:19 AM
This would more appropriately be called The Everyone is Growing Up a Sick F*ck Effect IMO. I don't think there's any psychological inherent.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 1:06:02 AM
I recall learning about this in an early college psych class. if I recall correctly it was called "bystander apathy". It essentially shows that where a greater number of people are present, the less likely people will be to help a person in need as everyone assumes someone else will assist.

I don't think this is a negative reflection on any society or contemporary society, just a natural part of basic human psychology.
Debate.org Moderator
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 1:10:11 AM
I'm pretty sure it is, airmax. Most society is dog-eat-dog. I mean it fits rather perfectly, don't you think? And then consider the Miligram experiment while you're at it - just as an added incentive to agree with me, if nothing else :P
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 1:12:30 AM
Our society is very plausibly the root cause, breeding people to just want control over each other, as that is survival. I'm pretty sure angels exist, dude - that we're not all just psychopaths.
Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 11:42:54 AM
@ Disquisition:

I think proximity is part of the idea of the bystander effect. If a witness identifies themselves with the crowd of onlookers, then the witness is more likely to behave like the crowd is. If they see themselves as being more like the person involved in the incident, then they will act in a way that is more appropriate for that person. So, if someone's mom slipped on a banana peel, they would rush in to see if everything is ok.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 12:17:04 PM
At 9/6/2013 12:04:09 PM, NightofTheLivingCats wrote:
At 9/6/2013 1:15:39 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Of course that wouldn't be a popular view at all what with me being f*cked up.

FrackJack, don't reply to my posts anymore. You're dumb, just read them please.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 12:19:23 PM
The bystander effect isn't about proximity. It's about ambiguity, group membership, diffusion of responsibility, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

In the OP example, there is low ambiguity.
yang.
NightofTheLivingCats
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 12:20:47 PM
At 9/6/2013 12:17:04 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

NightofTheLivingCats, don't reply to my posts anymore. You're dumb, just read them please.

lol. Do you even read bro?
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 12:21:59 PM
At 9/6/2013 12:20:47 PM, NightofTheLivingCats wrote:
At 9/6/2013 12:17:04 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

NightofTheLivingCats, don't reply to my posts anymore. You're dumb, just read them please.

lol. Do you even read bro?

Yeah, bro. Now stop it.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 12:23:58 PM
At 9/6/2013 12:19:23 PM, tulle wrote:
The bystander effect isn't about proximity. It's about ambiguity, group membership, diffusion of responsibility, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

In the OP example, there is low ambiguity.

Lotsa fancy words there, tulle. Pretty dumb.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 12:26:15 PM
Badger, you're pathetic. The only way for you to get a girl to talk to you is to insult her. I know I'm making your day by even writing this post, so you're welcome.
yang.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 12:30:05 PM
Yeah I'm pretty handsome and have girls lining up to be with me pretty much, tulle. Nice try, though. You're dumb and need to realize it.

You just keep making awful posts.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 12:31:57 PM
I mean you're a lovely illustration of how the world is f*cked up and all, but you're not anyone who should be voicing opinions on anything and looking to be taken seriously.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 12:32:52 PM
To be honest you do annoy me, but not for any other reason but your persistence in being dumb.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 12:33:45 PM
Your photo of that llama was better looking than you. Sorry.

You're an alcoholic and a druggie---if any girl is interested in you, you must be finding her in the gutter.
yang.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 12:35:44 PM
I think what really pisses you off about me is years ago you kept hitting on me and all I could do is laugh and humour you because you were a complete joke.
yang.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 12:37:04 PM
At 9/6/2013 12:35:25 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Actually I'm neither. Stop posting retard.

lol your drug/alcohol history is well documented on DDO thanks to your inane posts.
yang.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 12:37:38 PM
At 9/6/2013 12:35:44 PM, tulle wrote:
I think what really pisses you off about me is years ago you kept hitting on me and all I could do is laugh and humour you because you were a complete joke.

Actually I showed no interest in you, actually told Danielle in private conversation that I thought you were dumb actually, and then you posted a picture of your sister to gauge my reaction to it, thinking I bet he's just looking for something pretty, and yeah, she's much prettier than you are tulle, IMO, but maybe I've been seeing the retard in you all along, eh? ;D
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 12:38:23 PM
At 9/6/2013 12:37:04 PM, tulle wrote:
At 9/6/2013 12:35:25 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Actually I'm neither. Stop posting retard.

lol your drug/alcohol history is well documented on DDO thanks to your inane posts.

lol I've taken drugs and drank alcohol. So what?

Shut up, retard.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 12:53:37 PM
At 9/6/2013 12:37:38 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 9/6/2013 12:35:44 PM, tulle wrote:

Actually I showed no interest in you, actually told Danielle in private conversation that I thought you were dumb actually, and then you posted a picture of your sister to gauge my reaction to it, thinking I bet he's just looking for something pretty, and yeah, she's much prettier than you are tulle, IMO, but maybe I've been seeing the retard in you all along, eh? ;D

lolwut? When? I posted my sister's blog, which had nothing to do with you :/ You decided to be a creeper and creep her blog.
yang.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 12:56:02 PM
Anyway, seriously, stop talking to me. You are so far up my arse. I don't talk to you at all and yet you keep finding ways to respond to my posts. Just stop, ugly. Keep telling yourself you're worth something, keep telling yourself you're good looking. Keep telling yourself you're intelligent. The fact that you think my post was full of "big words" speaks to your small mind. It's all part of your delusion.
yang.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 12:59:29 PM
lolwut? Your childish defiance is hilarious. And it was obviously to do with me, tulle, coming not long after my 'God is Love' thing and my returning having left for a while after it. And then there's the dumb Harry Potter video you made recently, not caring about Maikuru at all, but plainly speaking out over him. He knows it, too. Truth is truth. You're an utter retard.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 1:03:13 PM
It really does pain me to say this stuff, but it's all truth. You should stop posting/go get a job as a f*cking waiter or something.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 1:04:09 PM
At 9/6/2013 12:59:29 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
lolwut? Your childish defiance is hilarious. And it was obviously to do with me, tulle, coming not long after my 'God is Love' thing and my returning having left for a while after it.

Are you on drugs right now? You can tell me, you know.

First of all, I posted my sister's blog BEFORE LAST CHRISTMAS so that people could purchase her artwork. It had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO YOU WITH and yet you creeped it and kept going on in a gross way about her that she thought was weird and creepy. Your God Is Love post was what? A month ago? I have not mentioned my sister SINCE I POSTED HER BLOG OVER A YEAR AGO FOR THAT SPECIFIC REASON. You are the one who keeps bringing her up for no reason. Clearly, you're completely delusional.

And then there's the dumb Harry Potter video you made recently, not caring about Maikuru at all, but plainly speaking out over him. He knows it, too. Truth is truth. You're an utter retard.

LOL You're a moron!
yang.