Jump to topic:

Social Conformity *

inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2013 1:34:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
This is a very interesting topic right here. It shows us that we as human beings are actually pressured into doing what we see others do around us. Now is this forced, or are we wired this way ? I am not sure about this............We are collective but is it natural or learned. You tell me. Check out this video for more information.
What do you think DDO.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2013 5:53:33 PM
At 9/9/2013 1:34:41 PM, inferno wrote:
This is a very interesting topic right here. It shows us that we as human beings are actually pressured into doing what we see others do around us. Now is this forced, or are we wired this way ? I am not sure about this............We are collective but is it natural or learned. You tell me. Check out this video for more information.
What do you think DDO.

Interesting topic here. Probably will get slept on..............
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2013 6:08:34 PM
I think we are wired that way. People want to be wanted so they confirm with the majority trend
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2013 7:13:31 PM
We studied this. I forgot most of the experiments, but there were a lot of them. In one, some people were in a conference being asked to compare the length of two lines. Most of the subjects just went along with the rest. They were saying answers that were obviously wrong. They would even defend those answers.

There were a lot of other tests, too. They all say pretty much the same thing. That humans want to group, and combine as an instinctive need. A lot of my class was like, "Well, this goes to show that we should think for ourselves."

Sure... but... what happens when this instinct goes "right?" Then we have an entire group - a kind of organism - that is collectively much more smart, powerful and knowledgeable than any individual.

What I thought was that we need to think for ourselves SO THAT we can be strong members of the larger group.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2013 7:21:10 PM
At 9/9/2013 7:13:31 PM, Beverlee wrote:
We studied this. I forgot most of the experiments, but there were a lot of them. In one, some people were in a conference being asked to compare the length of two lines. Most of the subjects just went along with the rest. They were saying answers that were obviously wrong. They would even defend those answers.

There were a lot of other tests, too. They all say pretty much the same thing. That humans want to group, and combine as an instinctive need. A lot of my class was like, "Well, this goes to show that we should think for ourselves."

Whilst I'm not disputing conformity, repeat tests of the Asch study at later dates and within different cultures find it having a fairly minor impact of the judgement of individuals in the Asch test.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2013 10:41:07 PM
Take advantage of this and be a leader who guides others with good will, and good actions, and if you are a good enough leader and perhaps charismatic enough soon others will follow.
Nolite Timere
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2013 9:57:10 AM

Sure... but... what happens when this instinct goes "right?" Then we have an entire group - a kind of organism - that is collectively much more smart, powerful and knowledgeable than any individual.

What I thought was that we need to think for ourselves SO THAT we can be strong members of the larger group.

People do think for themselves some of the time. But our society forces us into a position that compromises what we believe in. And by nature I do believe that we are collective.
Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2013 10:21:14 AM
At 9/10/2013 9:57:10 AM, inferno wrote:

People do think for themselves some of the time. But our society forces us into a position that compromises what we believe in. And by nature I do believe that we are collective.

Yeah, me too. It's why we like each other.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2013 11:54:07 AM
At 9/10/2013 10:21:14 AM, Beverlee wrote:

bUT WHY IS THIS SO....
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2013 12:00:44 PM
At 9/10/2013 10:21:14 AM, Beverlee wrote:

Being collective doesnt necessarily take away from our independence.
What do you think.
Mysterious_Stranger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2013 1:56:32 PM
Most people are too weak to not conform, that is why we have organised religion and other "curiosities".
Turn around, go back.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2013 2:08:15 PM
At 9/10/2013 1:56:32 PM, Mysterious_Stranger wrote:
Most people are too weak to not conform, that is why we have organised religion and other "curiosities".

Are they really though ? Too weak not to conform. Or is this just a selective criticism ? Maybe our job is to be morally correct.
Maybe that is just the makeup of Mankind.
Society does teach us to feel bad when we are not praised for being right in the midst of compromise.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2013 2:09:33 PM
At 9/9/2013 7:21:10 PM, Thaddeus wrote:

Whilst I'm not disputing conformity, repeat tests of the Asch study at later dates and within different cultures find it having a fairly minor impact of the judgement of individuals in the Asch test.

It changes through time though...........