Total Posts:63|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines"

ClassicRobert
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2013 7:41:49 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Lately, I've been seeing a lot of articles from feminist pages about how Robin Thicke's song, "Blurred Lines," advocates rape.

What do you think?

For reference, here are the lyrics:

http://www.azlyrics.com...

And here are a couple of pages that support this position:

http://www.truth-out.org...

http://blogs.wsj.com...

http://www.thedailybeast.com...
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
YYW
Posts: 36,426
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2013 7:46:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I think the idea that it advocates rape is a bit excessive, but it definitely does reflect a certain sense of how an "alpha-male" might regard female sexuality. My guess is that such a guy, if he weren't a celebrity, probably wouldn't get laid very much because he has no respect for women.

Even still, I think Robin Thicke is disgusting. I think his video was disgusting. His song was disgusting. His ostentatious performance with Miley Cirus was disgusting. He acts like a chauvinistic fvckwit, as well. That, I think, ought to be noted.
Tsar of DDO
Beverlee
Posts: 721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2013 7:56:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I really couldn't understand the lyrics anyway. Robin Thicke is good looking (for a guy) but he's not Alpha. He's just arrogant. In order to be Alpha, don't you have to back up your talk a little? I mean, by definition, can rich boys EVER be an Alpha male?

I'm not trying to be mean to him, but for real. Being very wealthy, as he grew up, is infantilizing. He never had to work very hard if he didn't want to, because everything would eventually be provided to him. I mean, he COULD work hard, and he might have... but that effort was never required.

Now look at him... he looks EXACTLY like a teenager, and he's what? 30?

DEFINATELY not alpha male.

.... I liked the video, though... lol
ClassicRobert
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2013 8:04:01 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/9/2013 7:46:00 PM, YYW wrote:
I think the idea that it advocates rape is a bit excessive, but it definitely does reflect a certain sense of how an "alpha-male" might regard female sexuality. My guess is that such a guy, if he weren't a celebrity, probably wouldn't get laid very much because he has no respect for women.

Even still, I think Robin Thicke is disgusting. I think his video was disgusting. His song was disgusting.

What about the song was disgusting?
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
YYW
Posts: 36,426
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2013 8:09:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/9/2013 8:04:01 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
At 9/9/2013 7:46:00 PM, YYW wrote:
I think the idea that it advocates rape is a bit excessive, but it definitely does reflect a certain sense of how an "alpha-male" might regard female sexuality. My guess is that such a guy, if he weren't a celebrity, probably wouldn't get laid very much because he has no respect for women.

Even still, I think Robin Thicke is disgusting. I think his video was disgusting. His song was disgusting.

What about the song was disgusting?

Lyrics:

OK now he was close, tried to domesticate you
But you're an animal, baby, it's in your nature
Just let me liberate you
Hey, hey, hey
You don't need no papers
Hey, hey, hey
That man is not your maker

Implication:

Dehumanizing; reducing a woman to the state of an animal to be tamed/"liberated" i.e. uncaged

Lyrixs:

And that's why I'm gon' take a good girl
I know you want it
I know you want it
I know you want it
You're a good girl

Implication:

Laced with bullsh!t victorian moral norms, judgements, implicit slut shaming, guilt-based condescension, presumptions about female sexual desire

I could go on, but it's basically the same offenses over and over again...
Tsar of DDO
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2013 11:50:53 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I've heard that in Canada, there is a composer that has a symphony called "blurred lines" that has soared in popularity due to this song's popularity.

Apparently, he is 86, and the people that monitor these things in Canada were like "WTF? Why is blurred lines' downloads up 4000%".

LOL
My work here is, finally, done.
Beverlee
Posts: 721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2013 12:56:02 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Ok, so I looked at the lyrics, and I see nothing not normal about them. Making too big a deal out of stuff that minor is crying wolf.

I like the song, and I also like "Got to Give it Up," by Marvin Gaye. Also I like "You Should be Dancing," by the Bee Gees.

All of these are pretty much the same song, or at least cousins.

If you want to see REALLY sexist stuff, listen to anything by AC/DC. These guys are just always pointy. BUT it's not harmful to women from my standpoint. These guys seem so hilariously obsessed with all things "girl" that you can't help but think it's cute. It makes girls feel like they are sought after, by guys who really mean it. I don't think it's degrading AT ALL to hear how bad these dudes want a girlfriend.

An example of what IS degrading to women is all this rap/hip hop. These guys are very open about where a girls place is. Not where they would like a girl to be, but where they think she SHOULD be. There is a big difference.

So, I would let Robin Thicke off.
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2013 2:57:51 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/10/2013 12:56:02 AM, Beverlee wrote:
Ok, so I looked at the lyrics, and I see nothing not normal about them. Making too big a deal out of stuff that minor is crying wolf.

I like the song, and I also like "Got to Give it Up," by Marvin Gaye. Also I like "You Should be Dancing," by the Bee Gees.

All of these are pretty much the same song, or at least cousins.

If you want to see REALLY sexist stuff, listen to anything by AC/DC. These guys are just always pointy. BUT it's not harmful to women from my standpoint. These guys seem so hilariously obsessed with all things "girl" that you can't help but think it's cute. It makes girls feel like they are sought after, by guys who really mean it. I don't think it's degrading AT ALL to hear how bad these dudes want a girlfriend.

An example of what IS degrading to women is all this rap/hip hop. These guys are very open about where a girls place is. Not where they would like a girl to be, but where they think she SHOULD be. There is a big difference.

So, I would let Robin Thicke off.

Robin Thicke is a sham. He has built his entire career copying Marvin Gayes career. Anyway why can he get a pass but all of rap/hip hop does not?
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2013 3:04:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/9/2013 7:41:49 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
Lately, I've been seeing a lot of articles from feminist pages about how Robin Thicke's song, "Blurred Lines," advocates rape.

What do you think?

For reference, here are the lyrics:

http://www.azlyrics.com...

And here are a couple of pages that support this position:

http://www.truth-out.org...

http://blogs.wsj.com...

http://www.thedailybeast.com...

My understanding is that it's not the lyrics, but mainly the video. One critique I distinctly remember reading was the tiny "stop sign" in the uncensored video (which I have seen, lol), i.e. trivializing that "no means no".

That is certainly "rapey".
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2013 3:09:16 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/10/2013 2:57:51 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 9/10/2013 12:56:02 AM, Beverlee wrote:
Ok, so I looked at the lyrics, and I see nothing not normal about them. Making too big a deal out of stuff that minor is crying wolf.

I like the song, and I also like "Got to Give it Up," by Marvin Gaye. Also I like "You Should be Dancing," by the Bee Gees.

All of these are pretty much the same song, or at least cousins.

If you want to see REALLY sexist stuff, listen to anything by AC/DC. These guys are just always pointy. BUT it's not harmful to women from my standpoint. These guys seem so hilariously obsessed with all things "girl" that you can't help but think it's cute. It makes girls feel like they are sought after, by guys who really mean it. I don't think it's degrading AT ALL to hear how bad these dudes want a girlfriend.

An example of what IS degrading to women is all this rap/hip hop. These guys are very open about where a girls place is. Not where they would like a girl to be, but where they think she SHOULD be. There is a big difference.

So, I would let Robin Thicke off.

Robin Thicke is a sham. He has built his entire career copying Marvin Gayes career. Anyway why can he get a pass but all of rap/hip hop does not?

I don't see the Marvin Gayes comparison nearly as much as I see the George Michael comparison, at least his early 90s stuff like this song. Linda Evangelista is amazing in this video...=)
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2013 3:17:32 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/9/2013 7:41:49 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
Lately, I've been seeing a lot of articles from feminist pages about how Robin Thicke's song, "Blurred Lines," advocates rape.

What do you think?

For reference, here are the lyrics:

http://www.azlyrics.com...

And here are a couple of pages that support this position:

http://www.truth-out.org...

http://blogs.wsj.com...

http://www.thedailybeast.com...

Why does it seem like everyone always over looks the women. They were not forced to be in the video. The choice it for themselves. How can it be degrading if there are women who do not believe it is.
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2013 4:36:01 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/9/2013 10:28:32 PM, Maikuru wrote:
I liked it =D

Pig.

Jk I've never heard the song, seen the video, or read the lyrics.
yang.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2013 4:49:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'd like to see anybody arguing for the position that it's Thicke's talent that got him recognized, not the porn music video.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2013 5:12:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/10/2013 4:49:40 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
I'd like to see anybody arguing for the position that it's Thicke's talent that got him recognized, not the porn music video.

I found the brunette to be more noteworthy than the song. =)
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2013 5:35:06 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/10/2013 3:09:16 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 9/10/2013 2:57:51 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 9/10/2013 12:56:02 AM, Beverlee wrote:
Ok, so I looked at the lyrics, and I see nothing not normal about them. Making too big a deal out of stuff that minor is crying wolf.

I like the song, and I also like "Got to Give it Up," by Marvin Gaye. Also I like "You Should be Dancing," by the Bee Gees.

All of these are pretty much the same song, or at least cousins.

If you want to see REALLY sexist stuff, listen to anything by AC/DC. These guys are just always pointy. BUT it's not harmful to women from my standpoint. These guys seem so hilariously obsessed with all things "girl" that you can't help but think it's cute. It makes girls feel like they are sought after, by guys who really mean it. I don't think it's degrading AT ALL to hear how bad these dudes want a girlfriend.

An example of what IS degrading to women is all this rap/hip hop. These guys are very open about where a girls place is. Not where they would like a girl to be, but where they think she SHOULD be. There is a big difference.

So, I would let Robin Thicke off.

Robin Thicke is a sham. He has built his entire career copying Marvin Gayes career. Anyway why can he get a pass but all of rap/hip hop does not?

I don't see the Marvin Gayes comparison nearly as much as I see the George Michael comparison, at least his early 90s stuff like this song. Linda Evangelista is amazing in this video...=)


I didn't know about this one. A friend of mine showed me this video from TMZ )I know just watch it) and they make a pretty convincing argument about it.

http://youtu.be...
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2013 5:55:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/10/2013 5:35:06 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 9/10/2013 3:09:16 PM, wrichcirw wrote:

Robin Thicke is a sham. He has built his entire career copying Marvin Gayes career. Anyway why can he get a pass but all of rap/hip hop does not?

I don't see the Marvin Gayes comparison nearly as much as I see the George Michael comparison, at least his early 90s stuff like this song. Linda Evangelista is amazing in this video...=)


I didn't know about this one. A friend of mine showed me this video from TMZ )I know just watch it) and they make a pretty convincing argument about it.

http://youtu.be...

Oh, I don't doubt what you're saying, just that I'm not very familiar with Marvin Gaye.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2013 6:56:10 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/9/2013 8:09:23 PM, YYW wrote:
At 9/9/2013 8:04:01 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
At 9/9/2013 7:46:00 PM, YYW wrote:
I think the idea that it advocates rape is a bit excessive, but it definitely does reflect a certain sense of how an "alpha-male" might regard female sexuality. My guess is that such a guy, if he weren't a celebrity, probably wouldn't get laid very much because he has no respect for women.

Even still, I think Robin Thicke is disgusting. I think his video was disgusting. His song was disgusting.

What about the song was disgusting?

Lyrics:

OK now he was close, tried to domesticate you
But you're an animal, baby, it's in your nature
Just let me liberate you
Hey, hey, hey
You don't need no papers
Hey, hey, hey
That man is not your maker

Implication:

Dehumanizing; reducing a woman to the state of an animal to be tamed/"liberated" i.e. uncaged

Or, it could be metaphor. Many many many works use animals/animalism as a metaphor for other people.

That's just like when I said I loved the novel The Handmaid's Tale and someone jumped on me for "thinking women should be baby-making-machines.

Lyrixs:

And that's why I'm gon' take a good girl
I know you want it
I know you want it
I know you want it
You're a good girl

Implication:

Laced with bullsh!t victorian moral norms, judgements, implicit slut shaming, guilt-based condescension, presumptions about female sexual desire

Lolwut? It literally is just him saying "I know you want it," and then saying "You're a good girl."

If ANYTHING, it would be the opposite, as he still links being a good girl with wanting it, in the sense that he's saying that in fact she's a good girl even though the common thought is that she wouldn't be.

I could go on, but it's basically the same offenses over and over again...

To be honest, I think it all comes down to interpretation. I agree with the overall idea that Robin Thicke didn't mean any of that. That being said, I still don't like confirmation bias.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2013 7:08:25 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/10/2013 4:49:40 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
I'd like to see anybody arguing for the position that it's Thicke's talent that got him recognized, not the porn music video.

Well, I enjoyed the song before I saw the video, or heard any controversy about it, for that matter.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Beverlee
Posts: 721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2013 9:24:43 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I don't see the Marvin Gayes comparison nearly as much as I see the George Michael comparison, at least his early 90s stuff like this song. Linda Evangelista is amazing in this video...=)


I heard about Got to Give it up after the whole plagiarism thing. I love that song, so I'm glad that I discovered it.
Beverlee
Posts: 721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2013 9:40:26 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
My understanding is that it's not the lyrics, but mainly the video. One critique I distinctly remember reading was the tiny "stop sign" in the uncensored video (which I have seen, lol), i.e. trivializing that "no means no".

That is certainly "rapey".

I just don't see it. It's a stop sign, like a "do not enter" sign over her butt. I get something very different out of that... No traffic in the butt. I don't see anything rapey about any of it. Sexist, sure, but nothing rapey.

Rape is not a sex crime, it's a violent crime... this video is sexy and playful, not violent and scary.

Maybe if you could see it from a girl's perspective! There is a "girls version" of the video that you can watch. Instead of nekkid girls dancing around, there are guys. Watch it and see, lol... these dudes are playing along - not being raped up.
Beverlee
Posts: 721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2013 10:07:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
So, I would let Robin Thicke off.

Robin Thicke is a sham. He has built his entire career copying Marvin Gayes career. Anyway why can he get a pass but all of rap/hip hop does not?

well, I don't want to let him TOTALLY off the hook. Like I said, he acts like rich-boy. I NEVER like the word "b!tch."

But his song seems to me like a snake dance, trying to lure up some swaying girls (that he LIKES) with false bravado and clumsy come-ons. The stereotyped hip hop and rap artist, on the other hand, looks like a serial killer. Like these guys are in an absolute rage, waving guns around and throwing punches at the screen.. and insulting girls and women in very cruel ways. VERY different. VERY "run for your lives" scary.

My other example is harder for me to explain, though. I think I brought up AC/DC, which is "dad rock" now, but totally bad@ss. These guys are as sexist as they can make themselves be. But they are so BAD at it! And so HEARTFELT! lol.... They are cartoonish and harmless and they are so girl-crazy that they go all the way over into adorable and flattering.

I will tell you something. Girls NEEED guys like Robin Thicke and AC/DC - even though we roll our eyes at them and tell them to toss off. We LIKE being told that we drive someone crazy. There is a place for that. We also like the romantic and mesmerizing guys like Al Green and Otis Redding. There is a BIGGER place for that sort of thing if you are paying attention! It's just that most guys cant successfully pull off Al Green.
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2013 10:08:44 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/10/2013 9:40:26 PM, Beverlee wrote:
My understanding is that it's not the lyrics, but mainly the video. One critique I distinctly remember reading was the tiny "stop sign" in the uncensored video (which I have seen, lol), i.e. trivializing that "no means no".

That is certainly "rapey".

I just don't see it. It's a stop sign, like a "do not enter" sign over her butt. I get something very different out of that... No traffic in the butt. I don't see anything rapey about any of it. Sexist, sure, but nothing rapey.

Rape is not a sex crime, it's a violent crime... this video is sexy and playful, not violent and scary.

Maybe if you could see it from a girl's perspective! There is a "girls version" of the video that you can watch. Instead of nekkid girls dancing around, there are guys. Watch it and see, lol... these dudes are playing along - not being raped up.

lol, I'm beginning to regret joining this discussion. I don't even like the song.

I see what you're saying, it is a playful song and what not. However...

1) The idea is that "blurred lines" refers to a guy who isn't sure whether or not the girl wants it, hence "blurred". Instead of erring on the side the caution, the guy instead goes for it, however he can.

2) The syringe is a stand-in for date-rape drugs. Date rape is not violent rape.

3) The stop sign = "no means yes".

4) What if she starts to complain? She was asking for it...look at how she's dressed!? She obviously wanted it.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Beverlee
Posts: 721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2013 10:26:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/10/2013 10:08:44 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 9/10/2013 9:40:26 PM, Beverlee wrote:
My understanding is that it's not the lyrics, but mainly the video. One critique I distinctly remember reading was the tiny "stop sign" in the uncensored video (which I have seen, lol), i.e. trivializing that "no means no".

That is certainly "rapey".

I just don't see it. It's a stop sign, like a "do not enter" sign over her butt. I get something very different out of that... No traffic in the butt. I don't see anything rapey about any of it. Sexist, sure, but nothing rapey.

Rape is not a sex crime, it's a violent crime... this video is sexy and playful, not violent and scary.

Maybe if you could see it from a girl's perspective! There is a "girls version" of the video that you can watch. Instead of nekkid girls dancing around, there are guys. Watch it and see, lol... these dudes are playing along - not being raped up.

lol, I'm beginning to regret joining this discussion. I don't even like the song.

I see what you're saying, it is a playful song and what not. However...

1) The idea is that "blurred lines" refers to a guy who isn't sure whether or not the girl wants it, hence "blurred". Instead of erring on the side the caution, the guy instead goes for it, however he can.

2) The syringe is a stand-in for date-rape drugs. Date rape is not violent rape.

3) The stop sign = "no means yes".

4) What if she starts to complain? She was asking for it...look at how she's dressed!? She obviously wanted it.

This is all waaay too subtle, though. I NEVER would have caught it. But - intoxication rape IS violent rape - exactly the same kind of violence as when a drunk intoxicated guy gets beat up in a bar. Exact same thing, except it hurts worse to be raped.

hmmmm..... I think this could be a learning moment! (clapping hands with happy)

Check it out. Comparing "real" rape to what is going on in the Robin Thicke video is insulting and degrading to actual rape victims. This video is a walk in the park compared to a little boy having his penis cut off, or having a rod shoved up a girls rectum so hard that it perforates her diaphragm and lungs. Or, a high school girl that wakes up terrified of her own boyfriend after they had been drinking, or a mom that has to hide with her daughter under a car in a parking lot from the girls father.

Real rape just doesn't look anything like the Blurred Lines video, and a lot of real victims wish that it did.

A lot of girls just want to be talked into it, mostly because of old Victorian duties to be chaste. They don't want to be a "bad girl," so that means the guy has to insist (but not too much!) They have to be told that they are "good girls" despite doing what the guys want to do. It's a lie, but it's the kind of lie that girls and guys like to hear. That is what I get from this song.

Enough buzzkill and serious. I am in a joking around mood... so check out this song here. How rapey does THIS sound????

----->
Beverlee
Posts: 721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2013 10:27:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
The lyrics to the most date-rapey song in the world: ROTFL

I really can't stay - Baby it's cold outside
I've got to go away - Baby it's cold outside
This evening has been - Been hoping that you'd drop in
So very nice - I'll hold your hands, they're just like ice
My mother will start to worry - Beautiful, what's your hurry
My father will be pacing the floor - Listen to the fireplace roar
So really I'd better scurry - Beautiful, please don't hurry
Well maybe just a half a drink more - Put some music on while I pour

The neighbors might think - Baby, it's bad out there
Say, what's in this drink - No cabs to be had out there
I wish I knew how - Your eyes are like starlight
To break the spell - I'll take your hat, your hair looks swell
I ought to say no, no, no, sir - Mind if I move closer
At least I'm gonna say that I tried - What's the sense in hurting my pride?
I really can't stay - Baby don't hold out
Ahh, but it's cold outside

C'mon baby

I simply must go - Baby, it's cold outside
The answer is no - Ooh darling, it's cold outside
This welcome has been - I'm lucky that you dropped in
So nice and warm - Look out the window at that storm
My sister will be suspicious - Man, your lips look delicious
My brother will be there at the door - Waves upon a tropical shore
My maiden aunt's mind is vicious - Gosh your lips are delicious
Well maybe just a half a drink more - Never such a blizzard before

I've got to go home - Oh, baby, you'll freeze out there
Say, lend me your coat - It's up to your knees out there
You've really been grand - I thrill when you touch my hand
But don't you see - How can you do this thing to me?
There's bound to be talk tomorrow - Think of my life long sorrow
At least there will be plenty implied - If you caught pneumonia and died
I really can't stay - Get over that hold out
Ahh, but it's cold outside

Baby it's cold outside

Brr its cold".
It's cold out there
Cant you stay awhile longer baby
Well"..I really shouldn't...alright

Make it worth your while baby
Ahh, do that again".
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2013 10:38:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/10/2013 10:26:21 PM, Beverlee wrote:
At 9/10/2013 10:08:44 PM, wrichcirw wrote:

Check it out. Comparing "real" rape to what is going on in the Robin Thicke video is insulting and degrading to actual rape victims.

lol, I believe that's why so many women are offended by the video.

Real rape just doesn't look anything like the Blurred Lines video, and a lot of real victims wish that it did.

No, a lot of rape victims wish their rape wasn't trivialized as it is in this video.

Enough buzzkill and serious. I am in a joking around mood...

Anyway, whatever. I don't even like the song.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2013 10:57:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I absolutely love this song but lol yeah

At 9/10/2013 10:27:40 PM, Beverlee wrote:
The lyrics to the most date-rapey song in the world: ROTFL

Say, what's in this drink
yang.
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 11:36:45 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
You can interpret anything to mean anything. What matters is the intent of the writer. I highly doubt that he supports rape.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 11:42:32 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/11/2013 11:36:45 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
You can interpret anything to mean anything. What matters is the intent of the writer. I highly doubt that he supports rape.

Maybe the people that tied these chairs onto tree limbs were simply trying to get more visibility on the political statement they were attempting to make. That doesn't mean that others have no right to be justifiably offended by the not-so-subtle context that doing so has some very poignant connotations to lynching.
http://usnews.nbcnews.com...

If their intent was to simply get more visibility onto Clint Eastwood's speech, they could have done it through less offensive means. Apply this logic to the Robin Thicke video.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 11:45:28 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/11/2013 11:36:45 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
You can interpret anything to mean anything. What matters is the intent of the writer. I highly doubt that he supports rape.

Then, there's this watermelon joke sent in Orange County pertaining to Obama occupying the White House. The mayor who sent this joke was "unaware of the racial stereotype that black people like watermelons," which of course begs the question as to exactly why watermelons would be planted in the White House when Obama moved in.

Regardless of intent, there are simply better and more appropriate means of communicating a message, whatever that message may be.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?