Jump to topic:

If everyone were immortal...

pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 10:47:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I think overpopulation would definitely be apparent by this point. What do you think would have developed due to over population?
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 11:10:39 PM
I'm dying to see this thread take off, but people sure are taking time making it happen
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 6:07:05 AM
At 9/11/2013 11:10:39 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
I'm dying to see this thread take off, but people sure are taking time making it happen

Thank you Buadda. I am most curious as well.
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 6:08:09 AM
I'd like to assert that people can be killed. They can not die to health or age though.
Birth still exists the way it naturally does.
I assume over population would be a HUGE problem.
I am most curious about what people think civilizations would do to protect their interests as well as what would develop due to over population.
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 6:57:40 AM
After people are born they grow until their body reaches a peak performance stage. After that they wouldn't age or become sick.
anomalous
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 7:18:45 AM
At 9/11/2013 8:50:28 PM, pozessed wrote:
If everyone ever born were immortal how would the world be different?

If you mean that humans had evolved to be immortal at the same time they developed the fully function primate brain we so enjoy, then I think society may not have ever come to fruition. I cannot say exactly why this is, but I think it's a reasonable assertion. The fear of death is an integral part of humanity, both in the philosophical world (religion) and the logical world (science). The fear of death drives people. Without that drive we most likely would have stagnated.

If you mean that humans were able to alter genetics so that future generations didn't die, well, I think we will see that in the next few centuries, if not decades. Eliminating disease and cell degeneration is not mere science fiction at this point. Much like the industrial revolution, we are at the brink of a medical revolution. The brain may be the last mystery and every week we're learning more and more. It will only take a single genius to unlock that mystery in some way or another and it will push us forward leaps and bounds. Immortality is the future of the human race. If we hope to travel throughout the galaxy, it is critical.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 7:20:05 AM
At 9/12/2013 6:08:09 AM, pozessed wrote:
I'd like to assert that people can be killed. They can not die to health or age though.
Birth still exists the way it naturally does.
I assume over population would be a HUGE problem.
I am most curious about what people think civilizations would do to protect their interests as well as what would develop due to over population.

I would kill myself. Sorry, but there is no point to living a suck a$$ eternal life on this planet stuffed to the max with human beings.

For the sake of keeping this really interesting, let's say no one could die at all.
Nolite Timere
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 7:23:59 AM
At 9/11/2013 10:14:05 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
This song would have less meaning:

Lol.

Alright, so assuming everyone was absolutely immortal:

Wars would be interesting. Capture as many people, then torture them until the other side gives in. War would be horrific beyond all belief. Socialization and relationships would be interesting also. Would you always eventually move on from your friends?

What about over-population? Would we be forced into developing space technology to socialize elsewhere? Before we get to that we would most likely start expanding underground. The government would have all people be given surgery so that no one could reproduce. If they did that quickly enough overpopulation may not be such a problem.

Famous people would not stop being famous for a while.

All modern religion would be thrown out the window since our Earthly life is generally looked at as a "test" to see if we are worthy of Heaven or not. Seeing that our Earthly life would be our only life, I believe other very interesting religions would pop up.
Nolite Timere
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 7:28:51 AM
Assuming everyone remembers most of their past life, society would finally be able to correct it's mistakes.

Mistakes tend to happen because we do not look into the past well enough, but since we are living through everything perhaps we will be able to improve.
Nolite Timere
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 8:02:56 AM
At 9/12/2013 7:18:45 AM, anomalous wrote:

If you mean that humans had evolved to be immortal at the same time they developed the fully function primate brain we so enjoy, then I think society may not have ever come to fruition. I cannot say exactly why this is, but I think it's a reasonable assertion. The fear of death is an integral part of humanity, both in the philosophical world (religion) and the logical world (science). The fear of death drives people. Without that drive we most likely would have stagnated.

If you mean that humans were able to alter genetics so that future generations didn't die, well, I think we will see that in the next few centuries, if not decades. Eliminating disease and cell degeneration is not mere science fiction at this point. Much like the industrial revolution, we are at the brink of a medical revolution. The brain may be the last mystery and every week we're learning more and more. It will only take a single genius to unlock that mystery in some way or another and it will push us forward leaps and bounds. Immortality is the future of the human race. If we hope to travel throughout the galaxy, it is critical.

Well then, If your claims are correct (which I suspect they are) this question is relatively important.
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 8:04:08 AM
At 9/12/2013 7:28:51 AM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
Assuming everyone remembers most of their past life, society would finally be able to correct it's mistakes.

Mistakes tend to happen because we do not look into the past well enough, but since we are living through everything perhaps we will be able to improve.

That's the type of outlook I would care to hear about.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 10:01:13 AM
At 9/12/2013 6:07:05 AM, pozessed wrote:
At 9/11/2013 11:10:39 PM, Buddamoose wrote:

Thank you Buadda. I am most curious as well.

Subtlety
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Disquisition
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 2:28:30 PM
At 9/11/2013 10:47:18 PM, pozessed wrote:
I think overpopulation would definitely be apparent by this point. What do you think would have developed due to over population?

Darn you beat me to it
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 3:42:24 PM
How/what would morals be different if humans were immortal?

I think this one deserves a thread of its own. However this thread doesn't seem to popular so I wont start another on the same topic.
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 3:43:09 PM
At 9/12/2013 3:42:24 PM, pozessed wrote:
How/what would morals be different if humans were immortal?

I think this one deserves a thread of its own. However this thread doesn't seem to popular so I wont start another on the same topic.

How/what morals would be different if humans were immortal?*
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 4:41:29 PM
You're saying what if humans were always immortal or if immortality started now? Either way, I don't think overpopulation would be that big of an issue. We use an incredible amount of space for a relatively small number of people. If anything, we'd become more efficient in our city planning.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Cowboy0108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 6:27:35 PM
We would be incredibly overpopulated. Just look at food, we couldn't have enough. So we would all starve to death. Except we cannot die. So we just suffer for an eternity.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 6:30:04 PM
At 9/12/2013 6:27:35 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:
We would be incredibly overpopulated. Just look at food, we couldn't have enough. So we would all starve to death. Except we cannot die. So we just suffer for an eternity.

There would also be more people around to farm and cultivate food sources. People don't starve today because there isn't enough food to go around.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 7:34:40 PM
At 9/12/2013 4:41:29 PM, Maikuru wrote:
You're saying what if humans were always immortal or if immortality started now? Either way, I don't think overpopulation would be that big of an issue. We use an incredible amount of space for a relatively small number of people. If anything, we'd become more efficient in our city planning.

I agree with the city planning. What do you think we would do for food resources to provide efficiently for everyone?

I meant every person since the conception of humanity.
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 7:40:22 PM

Mythology provides the answer here. Look at the ancient pantheons and you see some common trends.

1. The gods get into bitter bloody fights over resources.

2. Everybody has slept with everybody.

3. Father and Son conflicts are perpetual, because Father is still in his prime instead of growing old. In extreme cases, Son must violently overthrow him.

4. The gods must inhabit other worlds.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 7:10:16 PM

The world would be a fairly crowded place.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 7:13:23 PM
At 9/18/2013 6:03:33 PM, medic0506 wrote:
Murder rates would be astronomical because we'd get so tired of dealing with the same people for so long.

That's astoundingly bold, but it does touch on what I think would probably be one of the most significant implications to follow. Life would be less sacred on earth because it would be indefinite. Part of what it means, and perhaps most essentially what it means to be a human being is that we are all beings more or less which progress towards death -which makes life that much more fleeting, which makes it that much more sacred. In the absence of death, what it means to be a person fundamentally changes.
Tsar of DDO
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 7:13:49 PM
At 9/18/2013 7:10:16 PM, YYW wrote:

The world would be a fairly crowded place.

Yea, I've asserted that in later posts. You should check out the posts I made, I think they provoke a few deep thoughts on the subject.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 7:18:19 PM
At 9/12/2013 6:55:01 AM, pozessed wrote:
How would land ownership function?

Why would you think it would function any differently?
Tsar of DDO