Jump to topic:

Monogamy

ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2013 8:01:52 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Should humans be monogamous? Here's an interesting 3 minute video arguing that monogamy is ridiculous.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2013 7:13:51 PM
He's basing a lot of his premise on the idea that finding people other than your partner sexually attractive undermines monogamy, which is false. Having one spouse or one mate doesn't turn your eyes or your brain off, it just limits (traditionally) the extent to which you can act on those desires.

I'm also not a fan of the way he kind of flippantly patronizes those who would end relationships if their partner cheats, saying that so long as they don't do it often, they're still "good" at monogamy. No they aren't. They had one job lol. You can't just say people should be more sexually open without at least addressing things like jealousy, trust, and commitment.

That being said, I'm all for people having whatever kind of relationships they want. Whatever standard you want to set, there's someone out there who agrees with you and is looking for a similar structure in their romantic relationships. Not to harp on that guy, but he's attacking traditional ideals because he disagrees with them, when in truth he's free to practice any kind of "rules" in your intimate relationships. Unless they're illegal. Then you're fvcked.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2013 8:43:45 PM
I think monogamy is important to girls for instinctive reasons. Think about it from a caveperson's perspective.

You are out in the woods, far away from medical care, no medicine, no baby formula, no diapers, not much food. You are having a baby like that... so you want a BF that can look out for you, and not get grossed out and run off with a cave-nanny, or cave-secretary. That loyalty is important, no getting out of it. But that's mating. Loyalty, as a rule, is prized anyway. Monogamy is just a kind of loyalty.
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 9:02:27 AM
I agree with Maikuru -- you can really have the sort of relationship you want. That leads to a greater point -- I don't think it's necessarily monogamy in and of itself with which people are caught up, and instead the greater picture -- the deceit, disloyalty, and overarching attitudes that come along with someone who isn't faithful in a relationship.

There are indeed marriages that survive adultery, which has existed for thousands of years, I might add. However, the reason those do is likely because the people in that relationship were honest and forthright about both their actions and their feelings.

Ultimately, one can get away with sleeping with more than one person if he or she chooses. It is really the fact that someone desires to be with someone who wants exclusivity, then goes behind their back to sleep with other people, usually in a rather elaborate and controversial way, that causes the trouble.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 9:11:11 AM
At 9/14/2013 1:57:00 AM, FREEDO wrote:
If they want to be.

This. Questions of "should" are meaningless without establishment of some desired end stated.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 10:45:57 AM
At 9/13/2013 8:01:52 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:
Should humans be monogamous? Here's an interesting 3 minute video arguing that monogamy is ridiculous.

Don't take advice on sex and relationships from a raving mad homosexual. He's homosexual, of course he's going to be against monogamy, but he also wants marriage rights too, go figure. This is the same yutz that said he wanted to f--- the sh-- out of Rick Santurum just because Santorum is against so-called gay marriage
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 3:35:24 PM
At 9/14/2013 10:45:57 AM, medic0506 wrote:

Don't take advice on sex and relationships from a raving mad homosexual. He's homosexual, of course he's going to be against monogamy, but he also wants marriage rights too, go figure. This is the same yutz that said he wanted to f--- the sh-- out of Rick Santurum just because Santorum is against so-called gay marriage

Aw, Medic. I thought our peace could have lasted for more than, what, 2 weeks? Oh well.

Anyway, can I ask you something? This is more just a matter of curiosity, but I'm interested: do you know any open homosexuals?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 7:19:00 PM
At 9/14/2013 3:35:24 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Aw, Medic. I thought our peace could have lasted for more than, what, 2 weeks? Oh well.

Anyway, can I ask you something? This is more just a matter of curiosity, but I'm interested: do you know any open homosexuals?

Arguments can be peaceful, can't they??

Yes I know numerous open homosexuals. Sometimes I even have to work with them. Why do you ask??
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 7:30:32 PM
At 9/13/2013 8:43:45 PM, Beverlee wrote:
I think monogamy is important to girls for instinctive reasons. Think about it from a caveperson's perspective.

You are out in the woods, far away from medical care, no medicine, no baby formula, no diapers, not much food. You are having a baby like that... so you want a BF that can look out for you, and not get grossed out and run off with a cave-nanny, or cave-secretary. That loyalty is important, no getting out of it. But that's mating. Loyalty, as a rule, is prized anyway. Monogamy is just a kind of loyalty.

It's important to guys too. If cave-BF is going to all that trouble to look after you, he wants to be sure that you're having his kids and not the cave-milkman's. At the same time, both genders benefit from cheating on their spouses if it means they produce more/better offspring, so monogamy is also a compromise.
Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 7:51:26 PM
At 9/14/2013 7:30:32 PM, Jack212 wrote:

It's important to guys too. If cave-BF is going to all that trouble to look after you, he wants to be sure that you're having his kids and not the cave-milkman's. At the same time, both genders benefit from cheating on their spouses if it means they produce more/better offspring, so monogamy is also a compromise.

I don't know. I think cheating is always bad, because it's fraud. Polyamory and open relationships might be more like what you mean, where there are multiple members in the same larger relationship, and so more partners that can make kids. But that isn't cheating.

I personally think that it's ok for couples to make these kinds of agreements with each other, and that it's still monogamous. I'm not sure that sex alone is not being monogamous, you know?
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 7:56:21 PM
At 9/14/2013 7:19:00 PM, medic0506 wrote:

Of course! And I'd say that we've been on the whole civil.

Yes I know numerous open homosexuals. Sometimes I even have to work with them. Why do you ask??

Do you draw your conclusions on homosexuality from your observations, or...? Where do you draw them from?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 8:48:34 PM
At 9/14/2013 7:56:21 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Do you draw your conclusions on homosexuality from your observations, or...? Where do you draw them from?

EVERYBODY knows a few LGBT persons, lol. Even if they don't feel comfortable talking to you about it.
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 9:56:41 PM
At 9/14/2013 7:51:26 PM, Beverlee wrote:

I don't know. I think cheating is always bad, because it's fraud. Polyamory and open relationships might be more like what you mean, where there are multiple members in the same larger relationship, and so more partners that can make kids. But that isn't cheating.

I personally think that it's ok for couples to make these kinds of agreements with each other, and that it's still monogamous. I'm not sure that sex alone is not being monogamous, you know?

No, I am talking about cheating. Cheating has pros and cons...

Men:

Pro = More offspring, as you're not limited by the woman's slower reproduction rate.

Con = You'll get caught, dumped and potentially lose your house in the divorce proceedings. Maybe even stoned to death.

Women:

Pro = You get better genes from somebody younger, fitter or better in bed.

Con = You'll get caught, dumped, and/or physically abused. Maybe even stoned to death.

Cheating is like playing the lottery - you lose often but win big. Monogamy is like putting your money on a term deposit - you seldom lose, but you'll only win small to moderate sized amounts. I'm not saying either one is right or wrong, just that that's how the game works.
Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 10:06:17 PM
At 9/14/2013 9:56:41 PM, Jack212 wrote:
At 9/14/2013 7:51:26 PM, Beverlee wrote:
I am talking about cheating. Cheating has pros and cons...

Men:

Pro = More offspring, as you're not limited by the woman's slower reproduction rate.

Con = You'll get caught, dumped and potentially lose your house in the divorce proceedings. Maybe even stoned to death.

Women:

Pro = You get better genes from somebody younger, fitter or better in bed.

Con = You'll get caught, dumped, and/or physically abused. Maybe even stoned to death.

Cheating is like playing the lottery - you lose often but win big. Monogamy is like putting your money on a term deposit - you seldom lose, but you'll only win small to moderate sized amounts. I'm not saying either one is right or wrong, just that that's how the game works.

Um.... I get that you are being playful, lol. But I'm still going to mess with you.

All of those things can be done without lying to your spouse. Plus, women don't cheat on their husbands in order to have a child that is "better in bed" than their dad. (I bet that's not what you meant, right?) There isn't any reason that we couldn't just have an agreement that you could have girlfriends and even get them preggers. The problem is cheeeeeting. Plus, it's more like winning the lottery to find a great girl that will put up with you forever.

But yeah, saying that anything is 'right or wrong' is tricky. That kind of thinking is what gets people in trouble.
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2013 5:42:02 AM
At 9/14/2013 10:06:17 PM, Beverlee wrote:

Um.... I get that you are being playful, lol. But I'm still going to mess with you.

I'm sorry, I'm a bit slow when it comes to understanding figures of speech, etc. How am I being playful?

All of those things can be done without lying to your spouse. Plus, women don't cheat on their husbands in order to have a child that is "better in bed" than their dad. (I bet that's not what you meant, right?)

No, it's not. I just thought it would be dishonest to exclude sexual frustration as a motive for infidelity.

Obviously people don't cheat for the purpose of increasing their reproductive success, RS just means the capacity to cheat is passed on.

There isn't any reason that we couldn't just have an agreement that you could have girlfriends and even get them preggers. The problem is cheeeeeting.

If your boyfriend wanted to get other girls pregnant, would you allow that? If not, what option does he have besides cheating?

Plus, it's more like winning the lottery to find a great girl that will put up with you forever.

That's very true, but not relevant to the analogy.

But yeah, saying that anything is 'right or wrong' is tricky. That kind of thinking is what gets people in trouble.

So don't do it. As soon as you make a value judgement about something, you lose the ability to examine it objectively, and get caught up in emotional B.S. that overshadows the facts.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2013 8:58:08 AM
At 9/14/2013 7:56:21 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Agreed

Well, that varies. It would depend on what you're referring to specifically as to where I get the information that leads me to a conclusion on that issue.
Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2013 1:49:26 PM
At 9/15/2013 5:42:02 AM, Jack212 wrote:
At 9/14/2013 10:06:17 PM, Beverlee wrote:

I'm sorry, I'm a bit slow when it comes to understanding figures of speech, etc. How am I being playful?

I thought you looked like you were playing

Obviously people don't cheat for the purpose of increasing their reproductive success, RS just means the capacity to cheat is passed on.

There isn't any reason that we couldn't just have an agreement that you could have girlfriends and even get them preggers. The problem is cheeeeeting.

If your boyfriend wanted to get other girls pregnant, would you allow that? If not, what option does he have besides cheating?

I don't want a boyfriend...but yes, If that was what he needed as far as pursuing his dharma, then sure.

So don't do it. As soon as you make a value judgement about something, you lose the ability to examine it objectively, and get caught up in emotional B.S. that overshadows the facts.

I don't do it. The most I will say is whether or not something is painful or unwanted. Most of the time, I get to choose whether or not something relationship-oriented is unwanted.
Citrakayah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2013 2:29:45 PM

1. I know gay people who are for monogamy.
2. I know straight people who are against monogamy.
3. I know people in a legal marriage who have sex outside marriage and don't consider it a big deal.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2013 3:47:03 PM
At 9/15/2013 2:29:45 PM, Citrakayah wrote:

1. I know gay people who are for monogamy.
2. I know straight people who are against monogamy.
3. I know people in a legal marriage who have sex outside marriage and don't consider it a big deal.

Homosexuals, promiscuous people, and adulterers, that's three strikes, you're out. Show me your friends and I'll show you your future. I think you need to find some normal people to hang out with.
Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2013 4:09:14 PM
Homosexuality is NOT an indicator of infidelity unless cheating is an indicator of homosexuality.
Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2013 4:16:22 PM

I think the sticking point here is the word "Should."

I think that SOME couples should be, and I think that some couples should not be. I also do not think that the opposite of monogamy is infidelity. The thing that infidelity is the opposite of is fidelity and trustworthiness... the opposite of monogamy is polyamory.

The question can be re-framed to ask if humans should be intimately faithful to only one other person, or to a group.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2013 6:52:20 PM
At 9/15/2013 4:09:14 PM, Beverlee wrote:
Homosexuality is NOT an indicator of infidelity unless cheating is an indicator of homosexuality.

One fact that came out of all the research into AIDS and HIV was the fact that they spread so rampantly in the homosexual community because of the promiscuity of that community. Homosexual men, on average, had dramatically higher numbers of sex partners as compared to heterosexual men. That's not to say that ALL homosexuals abandon monogamy, but promiscuity and non-monogamy is known to be higher in the homosexual community.
Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2013 7:23:25 PM
At 9/15/2013 6:52:20 PM, medic0506 wrote:

One fact that came out of all the research into AIDS and HIV was the fact that they spread so rampantly in the homosexual community because of the promiscuity of that community. Homosexual men, on average, had dramatically higher numbers of sex partners as compared to heterosexual men. That's not to say that ALL homosexuals abandon monogamy, but promiscuity and non-monogamy is known to be higher in the homosexual community.

The opposite of monogamy is not infidelity. The opposite of monogamy is polyamory.

You might be saying that gay men seem to have more open relationships than heteros. But this is not how it is with all LGBT persons. Lesbians are NOT just female versions of gay men, for example. The different types of Lesbians should be considered to be other sexual orientations - bull dykes, lipstick lesbians, chapstick lesbians, femmes, bois, bisexual women, butches, fluffs, lezby-friends and other kinds of girls are not the same as each other.. at ALL. You can't paint with a broad brush here.

Plus, how is it possible to be "more promiscuous" than heteros when there might be ONE other lesbian or gay guy in the whole town that you know of??
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2013 8:16:09 PM
At 9/15/2013 7:23:25 PM, Beverlee wrote:

The opposite of monogamy is not infidelity. The opposite of monogamy is polyamory.

The opposite of monogamy is non-monogamy, or having more than one partner at a time. Polyamory would certainly fit as non-monogamous, but one can be non-monogamous without being polyamorous.

You might be saying that gay men seem to have more open relationships than heteros.

I'm saying that homosexual men, as a whole, have more sex partners per individual. Of course there are exceptions, but in general, that is true.

But this is not how it is with all LGBT persons. Lesbians are NOT just female versions of gay men, for example. The different types of Lesbians should be considered to be other sexual orientations - bull dykes, lipstick lesbians, chapstick lesbians, femmes, bois, bisexual women, butches, fluffs, lezby-friends and other kinds of girls are not the same as each other.. at ALL. You can't paint with a broad brush here.

Women, whether straight of homosexual, tend to be much more monogamous than males.

Plus, how is it possible to be "more promiscuous" than heteros when there might be ONE other lesbian or gay guy in the whole town that you know of??

Again, there are exceptions to the rule.
anomalous
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2013 9:33:41 PM
At 9/13/2013 7:13:51 PM, Maikuru wrote:
He's basing a lot of his premise on the idea that finding people other than your partner sexually attractive undermines monogamy, which is false. Having one spouse or one mate doesn't turn your eyes or your brain off, it just limits (traditionally) the extent to which you can act on those desires.

I'm also not a fan of the way he kind of flippantly patronizes those who would end relationships if their partner cheats, saying that so long as they don't do it often, they're still "good" at monogamy. No they aren't. They had one job lol. You can't just say people should be more sexually open without at least addressing things like jealousy, trust, and commitment.

That being said, I'm all for people having whatever kind of relationships they want. Whatever standard you want to set, there's someone out there who agrees with you and is looking for a similar structure in their romantic relationships. Not to harp on that guy, but he's attacking traditional ideals because he disagrees with them, when in truth he's free to practice any kind of "rules" in your intimate relationships. Unless they're illegal. Then you're fvcked.

This pretty much sums up what I thought too.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2013 10:10:18 PM
Couldn't watch the video because of my sucky computer, but I have nothing wrong with either monogamy or open relationships. My problem is with lies. You want another person to be in a relationship with? Go ahead, I'm glad you're happy. Want to lie and go behind my back? I'm done with you and don't think for a second I won't tell the other person what was going on. It's their choice if they want to continue dating you or not, but I'm not going to accept dishonesty from anyone in my personal life, much less someone who could potentially give me an STI. I'm happy with monogamy, too. It's great when two people decide that they're enough for each other. But there's nothing wrong with it if they don't.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 1:46:11 AM
At 9/15/2013 8:16:09 PM, medic0506 wrote:

The opposite of monogamy is non-monogamy, or having more than one partner at a time. Polyamory would certainly fit as non-monogamous, but one can be non-monogamous without being polyamorous.

You might be saying that gay men seem to have more open relationships than heteros.

I'm saying that homosexual men, as a whole, have more sex partners per individual. Of course there are exceptions, but in general, that is true.

But this is not how it is with all LGBT persons. Lesbians are NOT just female versions of gay men, for example. The different types of Lesbians should be considered to be other sexual orientations - bull dykes, lipstick lesbians, chapstick lesbians, femmes, bois, bisexual women, butches, fluffs, lezby-friends and other kinds of girls are not the same as each other.. at ALL. You can't paint with a broad brush here.

Women, whether straight of homosexual, tend to be much more monogamous than males.

You didn't say "on average homosexuals are more promiscuous" you said "don't take advice from that person because he is a homosexual and homosexuals are against monogamy."

By your reasoning, we shouldn't take relationship advice from anyone who lives in Norway, Sweden, Australia, or Turkey.

http://timesonline.typepad.com...
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 6:01:36 AM
At 9/16/2013 1:46:11 AM, Wnope wrote:
At 9/15/2013 8:16:09 PM, medic0506 wrote:

You didn't say "on average homosexuals are more promiscuous" you said "don't take advice from that person because he is a homosexual

Right, a raving mad homosexual to be exact. That's good, sound advice.

and homosexuals are against monogamy."

Just by virtue of being a homosexual male, he is much more likely to be against monogamy. Then when you add in that he's raving mad, and look at some of his other antics and comments, and factor in that he's against monogamy and at the same time pushing for marriage rights, which is in itself an irrational position, you end up with someone that you shouldn't take advice on sex and relationships from.

By your reasoning, we shouldn't take relationship advice from anyone who lives in Norway, Sweden, Australia, or Turkey.

http://timesonline.typepad.com...
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 10:05:29 AM

I'm sure you've been asked this before and not really answered it, but have you ever considered the possibility that promiscuity happens so often in the gay community because homosexuals have been denied the institution of formal monogamy for the past several centuries?
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian