Total Posts:21|Showing Posts:1-21
Jump to topic:

Why are men immune to advertising agony?

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2013 4:25:33 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
All my life, I have heard women complain about how women are portrayed in advertising/media, and how it affects the female psyche. This is why women are depressed, or feel hopeless, or have eating disorders etc.

Now, I am not saying there isn't truth to any of this, but what I have never had answered is why are men immune to this?
Name one "hot" man that isn't similar to a "hot" woman in advertising. Who thinks John Candy, John Goodman, Chris Farley, or other fat men are hot? Ugly, no, but ideal in a mate? Hardly.

So, why is it that women are so affected and men are not?
My work here is, finally, done.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2013 5:42:31 PM
At 9/19/2013 4:25:33 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
All my life, I have heard women complain about how women are portrayed in advertising/media, and how it affects the female psyche. This is why women are depressed, or feel hopeless, or have eating disorders etc.

Now, I am not saying there isn't truth to any of this, but what I have never had answered is why are men immune to this?
Name one "hot" man that isn't similar to a "hot" woman in advertising. Who thinks John Candy, John Goodman, Chris Farley, or other fat men are hot? Ugly, no, but ideal in a mate? Hardly.

Cause women are really in touch with their feelings whereas men know to not give a f*ck about it
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2013 6:16:58 PM
At 9/19/2013 5:42:31 PM, imabench wrote:

Cause women are too in touch with their feelings whereas men know to not give a f*ck about it

fix'd
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Mysterious_Stranger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2013 1:49:48 AM

Cause women are really in touch with their feelings whereas men know to not give a f*ck about it
Turn around, go back.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2013 8:33:14 AM
At 9/20/2013 1:49:48 AM, Mysterious_Stranger wrote:

"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2013 12:35:42 PM
At 9/20/2013 8:33:14 AM, muzebreak wrote:
At 9/20/2013 1:49:48 AM, Mysterious_Stranger wrote:

Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
Wocambs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2013 3:05:17 PM

Men are affected, they just don't complain. They don't complain about domestic abuse either (or no one cares).

Anyway, it's because society, or at least a significant part of society, thinks that 'every girl deserves to be treated as a princess', whereas men are valuable only to the extent that they make women feel like princesses. Hence, it's the fault of men when a girl is depressed because she doesn't think anyone appreciates her appearance, but when a boy is depressed over his body it's his fault for not being up to the women's high standards.

I imagine the reasoning is along the lines of this:
It is wrong to tell girls that they don't deserve the perfect man. Therefore, images of models who are very 'conventionally attractive' which make aforementioned girls feel unappreciated are wrong. However, it is not wrong to tell a boy that he doesn't deserve the perfect girl, therefore...

Sounds familiar, does it not?
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2013 3:07:54 PM
At 9/20/2013 3:05:17 PM, Wocambs wrote:

Men are affected, they just don't complain. They don't complain about domestic abuse either (or no one cares).

Anyway, it's because society, or at least a significant part of society, thinks that 'every girl deserves to be treated as a princess', whereas men are valuable only to the extent that they make women feel like princesses. Hence, it's the fault of men when a girl is depressed because she doesn't think anyone appreciates her appearance, but when a boy is depressed over his body it's his fault for not being up to the women's high standards.

It is wrong to tell girls that they don't deserve the perfect man. Therefore, images of models who are very 'conventionally attractive' which make aforementioned girls feel unappreciated are wrong. However, it is not wrong to tell a boy that he doesn't deserve the perfect girl, therefore...

the list of ways this is wrong is so long that it could mummify the statue of liberty
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Wocambs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2013 3:15:54 PM
At 9/20/2013 3:07:54 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

the list of ways this is wrong is so long that it could mummify the statue of liberty

Give one then.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2013 3:25:17 PM
At 9/20/2013 3:15:54 PM, Wocambs wrote:
At 9/20/2013 3:07:54 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

Give one then.

1) people care about domestic abuse whether the victim be male or female
2) society not even the significant parts of society have gone away from treating women like princesses, there are still those who feel like they should but people don't do it.
3) its not right nor wrong to tell either a boy or a girl that they can't have a perfect companion.
4) the reason why women and some men are affected is the strive for perfection. its not that they feel unappreciated compared to models but that they want to "shine" with "perfection" like the models do.

there are plenty of strong women who don't care about how they look compared to others. I mean they no how to look decent but they know that they are better then any of those models or other girls because they look great on the inside.
Wocambs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2013 3:42:21 PM
1. No, they do not. I was given a wristband saying 'I will never be quiet about violence to women' (what about men?!) and I have never seen any awareness campaign to 'stamp out domestic violence against men', yet I have seen many crusading against wife-beaters.

2. I applaud people who say 'Girl X isn't good enough for Boy Y', but wouldn't you agree that's quite a rare sentiment? Certainly rarer than 'Boy A isn't good enough for Girl B'... I mean, half if not more of the films out there feature a girl with an 'unworthy scumbag' boyfriend.

3. Maybe that's what you think, the cultural evidence seems to say otherwise.

4. Women, and 'some' men pursue perfection? Frankly, the only reason this *might* be true is because some guys think they're hung when they aren't. Their confidence is predicated upon ignorance and self-deception rather than apathy towards a 'better' body.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2013 3:47:30 PM
At 9/20/2013 3:42:21 PM, Wocambs wrote:
1. No, they do not. I was given a wristband saying 'I will never be quiet about violence to women' (what about men?!) and I have never seen any awareness campaign to 'stamp out domestic violence against men', yet I have seen many crusading against wife-beaters.

it may not be as visible but people still care.

2. I applaud people who say 'Girl X isn't good enough for Boy Y', but wouldn't you agree that's quite a rare sentiment? Certainly rarer than 'Boy A isn't good enough for Girl B'... I mean, half if not more of the films out there feature a girl with an 'unworthy scumbag' boyfriend.

I actually can't agree that its a rare sentiment. I've see it plenty of times and I know others have too

3. Maybe that's what you think, the cultural evidence seems to say otherwise.

4. Women, and 'some' men pursue perfection? Frankly, the only reason this *might* be true is because some guys think they're hung when they aren't. Their confidence is predicated upon ignorance and self-deception rather than apathy towards a 'better' body.

either you are very sadistic or have lived in a fvcked up area because it goes both ways dude
Wocambs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2013 3:54:14 PM
Yes, of course 'people' care, but on the whole no, they don't. Is a man slapping a woman really seen in the same was a woman slapping a man?

You did not address the evidence for my argument, which in how relationships are portrayed in media.

No, I am not sadistic. If it goes both ways, then why are you claiming that men don't care?
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2013 4:15:10 PM
Even the Bible speaks of bald men and the sin it is to give them a hard time over it. The fact is, men are just more physically secure than women, and so feel far less stress in general. Anyone who would deny that stress outright is completely delusory, though. I mean, perhaps it is that men, like women, are most worried about competing with other men, no? But then there is still definitely an ego-stroking game built around a man's ability to woo a prized woman, too. I mean how often is the individual who deviates far from the social dress code written off as 'gay'; a word whose connotations are very much negative in our prevalent society?
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2013 4:27:35 PM
I mean compensation is to be seen right across the board, too. How many stuttering males have fought their way to being famous talk show hosts or comedians? Again, men just feel more secure in general.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2013 4:34:59 PM
The absolute fact of the matter is, all of us males have huge god complexes, and then women, too, through us. Take Ayn Rand for example; how she thought men should cast off God, having surely lived as the typical woman herself, who imagines man as her steed.

One frightening documentation, then, to add with this, would be Oscar Pistorius' gunning down his girlfriend. I mean, how hard must he have tried to achieve what he did physically? And then the shooting came not long after meeting the great mentalist, Dynamo. But of course I'm not sure is that what brought him to do what he did, but it's certainly plausible, no; all things considered?
luvx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2013 2:32:05 PM
There is a double standard. When a man is promiscuous they call him a "player" but when a women is promiscuous they call her a "slut" or "whore." If women are degraded and objectified in music videos then why do female actresses participate in them. Isn't that self-discrimination? And don't sports degrade and objectify men?
NotReallySmart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2013 6:37:12 PM
Hi All!
(First Post)

I with what AnDoctuir (pardon me if I spelt your username wrongly) said, but I think it is also relative that there are not alot of 'attractiveness scales' for men. While there are many for women. I'm not exactly sure (since I'm not female), but I don't think there are many. So men can't exactly compare themselves to these models,actors,atheletes, e.t.c with the same precision that women can.
There are those who seek knowledge for the sake of knowledge; that is Curiosity.

There are those who seek knowledge to be known by others; that is Vanity.

There are those who seek knowledge in order to serve; that is Love."

- Bernard of Clairvaux
NotReallySmart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2013 6:39:08 PM
At 10/7/2013 6:37:12 PM, NotReallySmart wrote:
Hi All!
(First Post)

I with what AnDoctuir (pardon me if I spelt your username wrongly) said, but I think it is also relative that there are not alot of 'attractiveness scales' for men. While there are many for women. I'm not exactly sure (since I'm not female), but I don't think there are many. So men can't exactly compare themselves to these models,actors,atheletes, e.t.c with the same precision that women can.

I agree with*
There are those who seek knowledge for the sake of knowledge; that is Curiosity.

There are those who seek knowledge to be known by others; that is Vanity.

There are those who seek knowledge in order to serve; that is Love."

- Bernard of Clairvaux